Taylormade p790 'THUD' sound/lack of feel

I just got back from my 5th range session with my new p790s with Modus 120 X shafts and I just can't get over how unimpressed I am by them. They are definitely longer and the ball flight is a little better than my last set (Mizuno Mp-59s with DG x100s) but they just don't seem to have any real sort of feel and they sound hollow when flushing them. I have also played a few rounds with them and while I can contribute a little of sorry sound to the range balls, the feel still isn't there.

Another thought I have is that it may not be the iron head at all. Could it be the shafts that are contributing the sound/feel (or lack thereof it)?

Last thought, have I ruined myself from owing another set of irons that don't have the buttery Mizuno feel and click sound?

• Like 1
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I ditched my gen2 790’s for this exact reason... it’s the hollow heads   919t waaaaaay better

I just got back from my 5th range session with my new p790s with Modus 120 X shafts and I just can't get over how unimpressed I am by them. They are definitely longer and the ball flight is a little b

Also, Mizzy lovers have become like vegetarians.  They just ALWAYS have to carry on about their “greatness”.   

I have dealt with this before. I had honma irons and they were great like you say... great flight and a club longer with really nice accuracy... but one thing.... no feel. To me when you stike a ball you should know where and depending on where it should have a out of body feel center contact. Off center should feel more harsh but not hurt imo.

I do belive shaft can have an effect on a club heads feel so your not insane. Also... i do belive forged feel is a touch overrated. Some are better then others but playing as many gi cast irons compared to forged players... some cast felt better imo. More buttery.

Also yes my bro traded p790 for mizunos because he missed the feel. I also have mizunos and what they say is true... feel is different for sure.

I blend p790s with 770 CBs so there is a noticeable feel difference. It was more pronounced when I started doing this 2 years ago but I have gotten used to it, so much so that I do feel the feedback of off center strikes on the 790s (not as easy as the CBs) but its there.

Why do I continue to game them? The heel strike 5i I struck the other day up hill 180 out that chased onto the green. My 770 would have been short. I do appreciate feel but not enough to punt them from the bag when they perform.

If they are not performing there are other clubs with similar forgiveness of course that may feel better (folks rave about PXG, I have not tried myself yet) or the new 21 offerings from Cally etc...

I will say to my eye, something like a Mizzy HMB look meh compared to the 790, another reason they stay for now 🙂

16 hours ago, CoopaLoopa said:

I just got back from my 5th range session with my new p790s with Modus 120 X shafts and I just can't get over how unimpressed I am by them. They are definitely longer and the ball flight is a little better than my last set (Mizuno Mp-59s with DG x100s) but they just don't seem to have any real sort of feel and they sound hollow when flushing them. I have also played a few rounds with them and while I can contribute a little of sorry sound to the range balls, the feel still isn't there.

Another thought I have is that it may not be the iron head at all. Could it be the shafts that are contributing the sound/feel (or lack thereof it)?

Last thought, have I ruined myself from owing another set of irons that don't have the buttery Mizuno feel and click sound?

I don’t think the TMs lack feel at all.   You might not prefer the feel over the Mizzys but its just different. And wouldn’t you have been aware of the feel before you shell out a bunch of $$$$.   You didnt hit em first?   I guess that’s beside the point.   I played Mizzys forever..played Ping, Callaway..and they all have their own feel.   TMs have that wooden bat feel.  Like when you hit a wooden bat right on the screws.  Great feel imo..just as Mizzys had their own unique feel.      

When the P790s were getting a ton of hype I had to try them out. Went to a big demo day and after about three swings I promptly put them back in the fitting cart. Have to be one of the worst feeling irons I've ever struck. I just don't get how these things got so much praise over the years with their chunky appearance and horrible feel. Finally, when you consider lofts, I'm not blown away by the distance increase either. The P760s on the other hand I was very impressed with.

23 minutes ago, NPSpar4 said:

Also, Mizzy lovers have become like vegetarians.  They just ALWAYS have to carry on about their “greatness”.   

I don’t think this would be exclusive to Mizuno. I’d say any quality forged head is going to feel completely different (much better to me) than a P790. Let’s just say one doesn’t buy 790s for the feel. 

• Like 1

I absolutely hate the feel of them. They’re a fine performing golf club but I get absolutely horrible feedback from them and then my ball striking suffers when everything starts to feel like a rock. 

• Like 1

TSi3 8* AD IZ 6
Mavrik SZ 15* AD IZ 8

Mavrik SZ 18* AD IZ 8
X Forged UT 24* $-Taper
APEX MB21  5-P - $-Taper
MD5  52s, 56s, 60x - $-Taper
Toulon San Diego Garage H5 KBS 120

Jones Trouper 2.0 @GolfDaddyPGA

I ditched my gen2 790’s for this exact reason... it’s the hollow heads

919t waaaaaay better

• Like 2

Taylor Made OG Sim Max 10.5*  Blueboard Matte Tour Issue 53x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 63x + G400 7w 19.5* Blueboard 73x

Cally Apex '16 4h 23* KuroKage Slvr 80x + 5h 26* Fubuki AX400 82x

Callaway 27* UT Graphite Design AD DI 95s 

Srixon ZX7 7 - PW PX Catalyst 100 6.5 (SS 1 X)
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD M 55* Catalyst 100 6.5

Vokey SM2 TVD M 60* & SM2 64* Steelfiber 125s

Scotty GoLo 7 (35g weights)

@CoopaLoopa

You aren't alone. They feel dead to me (not harsh just no feedback) and the turf interaction is brutal which makes them feel even worse off grass. To top it off the Modus 120x is my least favorite steel shaft I've ever tried. I'm a 2 handicap and a strong ball striker with high speed and every time I try that shaft I lose the feel of the club head and can't hit the center of the face to save my life. Just awful.

Yes - this is all personal and it's different for everyone but just wanted to say that you are not alone...

1 hour ago, mgoblue83 said:

@CoopaLoopa

You aren't alone. They feel dead to me (not harsh just no feedback) and the turf interaction is brutal which makes them feel even worse off grass. To top it off the Modus 120x is my least favorite steel shaft I've ever tried. I'm a 2 handicap and a strong ball striker with high speed and every time I try that shaft I lose the feel of the club head and can't hit the center of the face to save my life. Just awful.

Yes - this is all personal and it's different for everyone but just wanted to say that you are not alone...

Agree on the modus 120x.  Always disliked that one.  Also spun way too much 

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was fitted for these clubs and for whatever reason, when I was in the fitting I was looking at spin, ball speed and launch angle numbers while not really focusing on the feel of the clubs. My mistake there as this was the first time I was ever fired for clubs.

@mgoblue83 I know what you mean. The p790s came with DG 105 X-stiffs and when I went to hit them before getting the new shafts put on and it was hosel rocket city. I felt like Kevin Costner in Tin Cup when he's at the range and can't hit anything.

Thank for the feedback everyone. I'm going to give these p790s a few more rounds but will likely be listing them on the classifieds section in the coming weeks.

For me 790’s were great off of mats in a fitting and great off the tee on course 

NFG at all from firm tight fairway lies for me anyways, YMMV

Taylor Made OG Sim Max 10.5*  Blueboard Matte Tour Issue 53x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 63x + G400 7w 19.5* Blueboard 73x

Cally Apex '16 4h 23* KuroKage Slvr 80x + 5h 26* Fubuki AX400 82x

Callaway 27* UT Graphite Design AD DI 95s 

Srixon ZX7 7 - PW PX Catalyst 100 6.5 (SS 1 X)
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD M 55* Catalyst 100 6.5

Vokey SM2 TVD M 60* & SM2 64* Steelfiber 125s

Scotty GoLo 7 (35g weights)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CoopaLoopa said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was fitted for these clubs and for whatever reason, when I was in the fitting I was looking at spin, ball speed and launch angle numbers while not really focusing on the feel of the clubs. My mistake there as this was the first time I was ever fired for clubs.

@mgoblue83 I know what you mean. The p790s came with DG 105 X-stiffs and when I went to hit them before getting the new shafts put on and it was hosel rocket city. I felt like Kevin Costner in Tin Cup when he's at the range and can't hit anything.

Thank for the feedback everyone. I'm going to give these p790s a few more rounds but will likely be listing them on the classifieds section in the coming weeks.

Look into srixon irons. Similar performance (esp the ZX5 series) but way better feel. I ultimately went with a Zx5/zx7 combo set, I don't think a 7i that goes 190 was doing me any good lol. I had the 790s but sold em after 10 rounds, just couldn't get used to that terrible feel.

Edited by Krt22