Ping i525???

hammergolf

20 hours ago, over7par said:

My pro told me today that his Ping rep said the i525 stock shaft would be the Project X IO, but the LZ shouldn’t be an upcharge either, so you should be able to order it no problem.

That's a great stock option. I have the Apex cf19 with both LZ and IO shafts. I was surprised by how much I liked the IO. I've been gaming the lz since its release. Both very good shafts.

• Like 1

AI Smoke Max Ventus Velocore +
Callaway GBB Fuji 757 vi 

Cobra LTDX max 5w HZRDUS Blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58v PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

2 hours ago, tigercolt77 said:

That's a great stock option. I have the Apex cf19 with both LZ and IO shafts. I was surprised by how much I liked the IO. I've been gaming the lz since its release. Both very good shafts.

I went and tested a bunch of shafts and heads about a week and a half ago and I came away with Steelfiber 110s and the PX IO 6.0 as my top 2. So if I go with the i525, I'm probably going to skip the upcharge on the Steelfibers and just go with the IO. I played the LZ most of this year and in head to head the other day, the IO was better in every way for me. LZ was still good for me, but IO better.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9° / Fujikura Ventus Blue w/ Velocore + 6S, 45.25"

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5° 3W / Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6S, 43"

TaylorMade Qi10 18° 5W & 21° 7W/ Mitsubishi Kai'li Blue 72g S

Ping Blueprint-S 5-PW / Project X IO 6.0 110g / Power Spec

Vokey SM10 Nickel 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 58.10 S / Project X IO 6.0 110g

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5 2024 / 34.5"

Titleist ProV1 / Golf Pride MCC+4 Blue/Gray/Red/Orange

47 minutes ago, 148 said:

Did your pro have any idea on a release date for the i525?

No information other than what's been said here. He confirmed it'd be like April or so. He mentioned preordering in February or March for April delivery.

Said he was hoping to have a fitting 7 iron by January.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 8:05 PM, over7par said:

My pro told me today that his Ping rep said the i525 stock shaft would be the Project X IO, but the LZ shouldn’t be an upcharge either, so you should be able to order it no problem.

I hope thats true, they're easily my favorite steel shaft, but if they're not a free upcharge they'll be like $35 each probably.   At that point I might as well try out some graphite shafts or at least order the LZ and get the matte black ones lol.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

On 11/28/2021 at 7:42 PM, over7par said:

I went and tested a bunch of shafts and heads about a week and a half ago and I came away with Steelfiber 110s and the PX IO 6.0 as my top 2. So if I go with the i525, I'm probably going to skip the upcharge on the Steelfibers and just go with the IO. I played the LZ most of this year and in head to head the other day, the IO was better in every way for me. LZ was still good for me, but IO better.

I'll be honest, I don't really know the difference between the two.  Care to elaborate?

And maybe compare those two and the steelfibers as those were a possibility for me as well.  

• Like 1
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

1 hour ago, J_Tizzle said:

I'll be honest, I don't really know the difference between the two.  Care to elaborate?

And maybe compare those two and the steelfibers as those were a possibility for me as well.  

The IO promotes a little higher ball flight than the LZ, but from what I understand (and saw in my own results) was that it gave me a little higher flight, but still very much felt as good, if not better, than the LZ. I really like the LZ shaft, so the IO giving me an extra few yards and higher flight was exactly what I hoped to see. There's also the weight difference. The LZ 5.5 is 115g. The IO 6.0 is 110g, so from my results, the little lighter weight allowed me to swing it a little faster to stay in that 6.0 or stiff profile. Now my fitter didn't have an IO 5.5 to test, but he said I could obviously handle the 6.0, but if I wanted to go 5.5 and hard-step it once, I'd be just fine.

The Steelfibers are just great to me. Feel like a steel shaft without the extra joint pain. I was having some issues in my elbows and I've had some past lower back issues from basketball show up the last few years and I've had zero issues since switching to Steelfibers in September. My only regret (and testing confirmed this too) was that I should've went with the Steelfiber 110s instead of 95s. The 95s are fine, but they're a little too light for me. The 110s felt really good and if I get Steelfibers in anything from here on out, I'll get the 110s soft-stepped once. I also soft-stepped the 95s once, because I heard the Steelfibers play a little stiffer than their indication.

But it all depends on upcharges too. I'm 100% confident in going with the IO shaft if it's offered at a stock price and the Steelfibers are too much. I know Mizuno has the IO as a no upcharge shaft and it appears Ping will have it stock in the i525, while Steelfibers are upcharges, so if I decide to go with a set of either of those, I'll probably go IO. I believe the IO is an upcharge with Callaway at the moment, so I'd probably just pay the extra for Steelfibers there.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, over7par said:

The IO promotes a little higher ball flight than the LZ, but from what I understand (and saw in my own results) was that it gave me a little higher flight, but still very much felt as good, if not better, than the LZ. I really like the LZ shaft, so the IO giving me an extra few yards and higher flight was exactly what I hoped to see. There's also the weight difference. The LZ 5.5 is 115g. The IO 6.0 is 110g, so from my results, the little lighter weight allowed me to swing it a little faster to stay in that 6.0 or stiff profile. Now my fitter didn't have an IO 5.5 to test, but he said I could obviously handle the 6.0, but if I wanted to go 5.5 and hard-step it once, I'd be just fine.

The Steelfibers are just great to me. Feel like a steel shaft without the extra joint pain. I was having some issues in my elbows and I've had some past lower back issues from basketball show up the last few years and I've had zero issues since switching to Steelfibers in September. My only regret (and testing confirmed this too) was that I should've went with the Steelfiber 110s instead of 95s. The 95s are fine, but they're a little too light for me. The 110s felt really good and if I get Steelfibers in anything from here on out, I'll get the 110s soft-stepped once. I also soft-stepped the 95s once, because I heard the Steelfibers play a little stiffer than their indication.

But it all depends on upcharges too. I'm 100% confident in going with the IO shaft if it's offered at a stock price and the Steelfibers are too much. I know Mizuno has the IO as a no upcharge shaft and it appears Ping will have it stock in the i525, while Steelfibers are upcharges, so if I decide to go with a set of either of those, I'll probably go IO. I believe the IO is an upcharge with Callaway at the moment, so I'd probably just pay the extra for Steelfibers there.

Great information.  Thanks!

I have some elbow pain in my  left elbow, so thats kind of why I was looking into graphite shafts.  Good note about soft stepping them.  I got a 110 and put in a Crossover I had and it felt very stiff for a stiff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J_Tizzle said:

Great information.  Thanks!

I have some elbow pain in my  left elbow, so thats kind of why I was looking into graphite shafts.  Good note about soft stepping them.  I got a 110 and put in a Crossover I had and it felt very stiff for a stiff.

You're welcome!

I've had zero issues with the soft-step. They actually play very close to the LZ 5.5 and IO 6.0 in my opinion with the soft-step. About the only thing I totally just dismissed during my test was the i59 head (felt weird to me even when hit on the screws) and the Recoils feeling a little harsher than the Steelfibers to me. The stock Ping AWT 2.0 (made by Nippon of course) felt really good still, but the IO just felt better. Modus 105 went too high for me and fell short distance-wise. C-Taper Lite and AMT Black was solid too, but again, IO was just better.

And the MMT 105 is probably the best graphite shaft I've ever hit, but so few companies are carrying it as an option right now and unless you want to pay a premium builder or buy and build them yourself (totally fine options, it's just not MY preference), the Steelfibers are great too.

• Like 1

All I know is Ping can't be getting $250 a iron when you can get the proven TM P790's for under $200 or they won't be big sellers.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

58 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

All I know is Ping can't be getting $250 a iron when you can get the proven TM P790's for under $200 or they won't be big sellers.

Time will tell but don't be surprised if the 790 prices increase in the New Year. I can see all prices going up significantly moving forward. There was already a thread that mentioned drivers going up $50-$70 per.

On 11/28/2021 at 10:37 AM, awtryau89 said:

My buddy is playing the IO in his 790s and loves it. He says its the closest feeling to graphite he has hit in steel. Don't know if it would be my cup of tea over the LZ. Been in those since they came out and the LS was a miserable failure for me.

I come from playing PX Rifles as an indication of what I like, and while I love them, the older I get the stouter they seem! Yet I prefer the ‘feel’ of Project X shafts (and KBS) over Nippon and DG, so wanted to find a PX I can play now. I don’t find much difference in performance between the LZ and IO except the weight for the IO is 10g less in corresponding flexes. Honestly I could play either. They feel just how I like. 

I do find the IO 6.0 feels about a half-flex softer than the LZ due to the weight, but it probably is really just as stable and the lower weight affects my perception. The IO 5.5 at 105g crosses the line to being too light for me, but that’s just me. It flies great but it’s a little easier to overcook at the lighter weight. LZ 6.0 is my solid fit but I could likely adjust to the 110g IO weight. Question is more whether I’d want to — the LZ 6.0 goes very straight. I tried the LZ in 5.0 and did not like it. In 6.0, it really came alive. Ten grams does make a difference. Both the LZ and IO 6.0 are way friendlier than PX Rifle 6.0. Just gotta get the weight right. 

OEMs seem to be sliding lower on weights in stock shafts, and fitters are always pushing lighter shafts. Not so sure it leads to better golf. Tempo is everything and my fit is heavier so I’d like to see the LZ stick around as a stock offering. It’s a unique steel shaft in and feels very good. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I'm thinking about getting graphite shafts in these instead of steel. Currently plying Titleist ap2's with kbs stiff shafts. You guys got any experience with graphite shafts? 

On 12/6/2021 at 6:25 AM, dmeeksDC said:

I come from playing PX Rifles as an indication of what I like, and while I love them, the older I get the stouter they seem! Yet I prefer the ‘feel’ of Project X shafts (and KBS) over Nippon and DG, so wanted to find a PX I can play now. I don’t find much difference in performance between the LZ and IO except the weight for the IO is 10g less in corresponding flexes. Honestly I could play either. They feel just how I like. 

I do find the IO 6.0 feels about a half-flex softer than the LZ due to the weight, but it probably is really just as stable and the lower weight affects my perception. The IO 5.5 at 105g crosses the line to being too light for me, but that’s just me. It flies great but it’s a little easier to overcook at the lighter weight. LZ 6.0 is my solid fit but I could likely adjust to the 110g IO weight. Question is more whether I’d want to — the LZ 6.0 goes very straight. I tried the LZ in 5.0 and did not like it. In 6.0, it really came alive. Ten grams does make a difference. Both the LZ and IO 6.0 are way friendlier than PX Rifle 6.0. Just gotta get the weight right. 

OEMs seem to be sliding lower on weights in stock shafts, and fitters are always pushing lighter shafts. Not so sure it leads to better golf. Tempo is everything and my fit is heavier so I’d like to see the LZ stick around as a stock offering. It’s a unique steel shaft in and feels very good. 

On 6/28/2021 at 9:18 AM, RodrigoNicely said:

With respect to your friend he has no idea what he’s talking about. I59 September and i500 replacement sometime around November 

Well, next week is Xmas and no i525s yet; maybe my guy at Golf Galaxy knew what he was talking about when he quoted his Ping rep several months ago as saying the i525s wouldn’t be released until the supply chain issues were mitigated?  Which seems to mean well into 2022…

The particular Golf Galaxy I go to in Cary, NC doesn’t have a single set of Ping irons on display, even the 425s, and they are still discouraging fittings for even the 425s. It’s stating the (very) obvious that there are no fitting carts or preorders for the i525s as we close in on the end of 2021.

50 minutes ago, bluedot said:

Well, next week is Xmas and no i525s yet; maybe my guy at Golf Galaxy knew what he was talking about when he quoted his Ping rep several months ago as saying the i525s wouldn’t be released until the supply chain issues were mitigated?  Which seems to mean well into 2022…

The particular Golf Galaxy I go to in Cary, NC doesn’t have a single set of Ping irons on display, even the 425s, and they are still discouraging fittings for even the 425s. It’s stating the (very) obvious that there are no fitting carts or preorders for the i525s as we close in on the end of 2021.

I don't think I have heard one person talk about the i525's being released this year. March 2022 is what has been heard from reps and retail acct's. 

Edited by AzSuperHack76
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, bluedot said:

Read the post I was responding to; he was SURE!

You mean the guy that said the planned release of the i525 was November _back in June_? At the time, he was correct. There's literally a picture of the 525 on our club pro shop because all that material went to print.

He wasn't wrong. Things change.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

5 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

You mean the guy that said the planned release of the i525 was November _back in June_? At the time, he was correct. There's literally a picture of the 525 on our club pro shop because all that material went to print.

He wasn't wrong. Things change.

At the time, I was told at Golf Galaxy that the Ping rep had said there would be no new releases until the supply chains issues were fixed.  That was accurate information several months ago, and pictures or not, that has NOT changed.  I don’t think Ping ever expected to release the 525s before 2022.

23 hours ago, bluedot said:

At the time, I was told at Golf Galaxy...

Beer Ok GIF by Busch

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Hoping the i525 demo hits the fitting carts in January for fitting? The guy a PGA Super Store has my name on list for the tour van fitting when he recieves the fitting heads. While I was there tested the new 2022 Mizuno Pro irons, they are amazing. Ping may lose some i525 sales if they hold off pre orders too long

I was at ping on Wednesday. They are so far behind. They didn’t even have bodies working on the floor due to no product to assemble. It’s like they shut down. They can release clubs whenever they want. Doesn’t mean anyone is going to get clubs. 

Edited by PeterPing

1 hour ago, PeterPing said:

I was at ping on Wednesday. They are so far behind. They didn’t even have bodies working on the floor due to no product to assemble. It’s like they shut down. They can release clubs whenever they want. Doesn’t mean anyone is going to get clubs. 

Wow! Not good. If their target date for release is March 2022, then I imagine gonna be a lost season for many Ping i525 pre-orders/regular orders. At least Mizuno did the right thing and pushed their fall Mizuno Pro release to February to ensure they have most of the components on hand in stock before release so customers get them before start of season or close to it. Doesn’t sound like the case with Ping. Also heard they are still playing catch-up with current products as well.