Proof That It Is Not The Arrow: Tour Pro Plays Beginner Set

Posted (edited)

I just saw this video on Rick Shields Golf.  It was fun to watch, and the conclusions drawn from this video may throw the clubmaking industry out the window.

Why even buy custom equipment?  To me this video is proof that you cannot buy a golf game.  Whatever you use, the secret's in the dirt.  There is no substitute for long hours at the practice facility.

Edited by EmperorPenguin
  • Like 3
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, does that mean you're going to get rid of your current bag and start to play a $100 set of clubs for the rest of your (golf playing) life?   Custom clubs or really fitting in general are

I think the point of the video (that a lot of folks seem to miss) is that clubs will not take you from scoring in the 80's to playing scratch. Can you maybe gain a stroke or 2? Maybe.   But

Really good golfers are good enough for equipment to not matter as much.  Also, a tour pro's bad day is shooting 74.  It's we who are making 84, 94, 104 from the 6000yd tees that need the help

Been saying this since day one. I have nice clubs because I like nice things. I wasn't fit and they were cheap to build and play amazing.

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged Blade 4, 5, 7-PW

Mizuno MP-68 6 iron

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

One of us has tooooo say nothing feels like a Mizuno...i did see the video but didnt watch it...i am also feel and sound oriented so thats my excuse for preferring forged etc.If you ok with a Walmart bag,thats OK.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Posted (edited)

Who is Rick Shields?

No way most ams that play good golf are playing as well with that set of clubs as they do with the regular ones.

Nothing thrown out the window - bet not one person watching makes any different buying decisions as a result.  

OEMs watching?  LOL.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 2

Key here is play whatever clubs you want. On a 6500 yard golf course I can shoot even or better with a rental set or 4 clubs for that matter. Not rooting my own horn but I’m a pretty good player. However, on a 7000 yard plus golf course I can’t shoot under par without having the best tools for me in my bag. It makes a big difference when the shots get more demanding and distance becomes more critical. True, you cannot buy a golf game, mine definitely was found in the dirt, but a blanket statement that equipment doesn’t matter is foolish at best. 

SRIXON ZX5 9.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 60X.                                              SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               SRIXON H85 16 MATRIX BLACKTIE 95 SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                   CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0                                         CLEVELAND RTX4 58* CATALYST 100 6.0.                                             SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38” SNELL MTB-X

Anyone who plays golf should know this. A great golfer can hit great shots with cheap clubs, just like a bad golfer can hit bad shots with expensive fitted clubs. As much as any OEM would like to convince otherwise, the main influence on a golfer score is the golfer not the clubs.

Of course I think most people on this site know this but still constantly buy new stuff because they can't help themselves!

• Like 3

I believe custom fitting is legitimate and beneficial to most anyone with a somewhat repeatable swing but has gone too far into minutia. I don't think hitting a hundred balls on a launch monitor to "dial in my numbers" is worthwhile and hitting off mats indoors won't translate to the course.

• Like 3

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I must have watched a different video...

• Haha 2

Callaway Rogue 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 19* Hybrid
Srixon Z U45 23* Utility
Srixon ZX7 5 - AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore Mid Grind 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

People get fit because they want to maximize their potential as a player or because they like shiny things. Obviously the kind of people you are trying to ridicule (bro check out my low spin shaft adding 20yds to my drives....) are on another extreme end and many are in these forums, but trying to devalue the fitting proces by showing an extremely good golfer shooting 1 under over 9 holes on a short course isn't proving much. 

• Like 1

Enjoyed that. James can really golf his ball. Looked he had it on a bit of string….

Regards - 'Shuv"

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
TAYLORMADE UDi No 4 (23 degree) - Project X - 6.5
CALLAWAY X22 Tour Irons (5 - PW) - Project X - 6.5
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) - DG PRO S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

There is a window that each golfer has for fitting requirements.  Hit this window and he will have appropriately suited equipment for his ability.  The rest is up to the player working on his swing and using the equipment to shoot lower scores.

I'm about a 12 index.  There is no one piece or set of clubs that will get me to a 9.  

I need to to hit my tee shots straighter, have fewer three-putts, and save par more frequently to improve my index.

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5° A-1 setting Aldila Tour Green 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

He only had driver, hybrid, 6, 8, pw, putter to use.  Plus the specs were far from ideal for him.  Just goes to show the skill a pro has and the ability to adapt.  This doesn't mean the average golfer can do the same.  They would need a full set that somewhat fit their body and swing tempo.  Doesn't mean, however, that they need to spend a couple thousand dollars on high level fitting.  Just get the specs close and then go practice.  

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, cristphoto said:

He only had driver, hybrid, 6, 8, pw, putter to use.  Plus the specs were far from ideal for him.  Just goes to show the skill a pro has and the ability to adapt.  This doesn't mean the average golfer can do the same.  They would need a full set that somewhat fit their body and swing tempo.  Doesn't mean, however, that they need to spend a couple thousand dollars on high level fitting.  Just get the specs close and then go practice.  

I started with then played in college with a starter set plus sand wedge and 5 wood. It taught me distance management and it took forever for me to feel comfortable hitting an even numbered club. 🤣

I would say most average joe's would do slightly better with fewer clubs in general.

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged Blade 4, 5, 7-PW

Mizuno MP-68 6 iron

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

2 hours ago, lefthack said:

I started with then played in college with a starter set plus sand wedge and 5 wood. It taught me distance management and it took forever for me to feel comfortable hitting an even numbered club. 🤣

I would say most average joe's would do slightly better with fewer clubs in general.

I hear you. I got started in golf as a kid in 6th grade when I purchased a new Wilson Autograph 4-iron out of a bin at a sports store.  I hit tons of whiffle balls and realized I wanted to play golf so I finally purchased a cheap starter set (driver, 3-wood, 3, 5, 7, 9 irons and putter. Combined with my 4 iron that was what I played for several years - never knew any difference. Learned to hit easy or hard depending on distance.  Then I got a full set of Wilson Staff irons (old bore thru design with red plug in the heel) at the Univ of Md pro shop and also three woods (Sam Snead Autograph).  One hallelujah moment was coming out of bunkers with an actual sand wedge vs 9 iron.    

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Old Tom Morris said:

There is a window that each golfer has for fitting requirements.  Hit this window and he will have appropriately suited equipment for his ability.  The rest is up to the player working on his swing and using the equipment to shoot lower scores.

I'm about a 12 index.  There is no one piece or set of clubs that will get me to a 9.  

I need to to hit my tee shots straighter, have fewer three-putts, and save par more frequently to improve my index.

I agree with the window analogy and there are two ways to get there. One is trial and error. The fellow that has the new driver flavor of the month. The 2nd is a fitting that gets one close if not perfect. Also whatever you arrive at can change especially as you age.

• Like 1

Meh. This is WRX. A real challenge is 3 clubs, junior set and off the tips 😎

Taylormade Sim Max, Fujikura Ventus Velocore Black 6-S, Top Golf All-Fit adapter

Callaway Epic Max LS, Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6-S, Top Golf All-Fit adapter
Fairway Woods: Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft, Taylormade M4 HL 16.5* 4 wood, Vizard Z 60S shaft
Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid

Irons:      Mizuno JP921 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW KBS TGI 95/100 shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48*, Cleveland FullFace 56* both with Catalyst 100 shafts
Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with BGT Stability shaft
#1 Callaway Chromesoft X LS, #2 Srixon XV 5/6

Moe Norman/Graves One Plane swing

I once saw Jack Nicklaus at a hitting demonstration. He was handed some old, hickory shafted irons. He waggled them then picked one. He proceeded to hit great shots. When asked about modern equipment he said if nothing, it is more consistent whereas hickory shafted clubs run all over the place and you have to think more rather then swing.

5 hours ago, cristphoto said:

He only had driver, hybrid, 6, 8, pw, putter to use.  Plus the specs were far from ideal for him.  Just goes to show the skill a pro has and the ability to adapt.

If anything, this was my main takeaway from the video. It’s just goes to show how ridiculously good professional golfers are.

I consider myself a fair player, but I’d be roping mile high hooks with an 11* driver and regular flex shaft, while he’s out there hitting fairways at 280. James’s ability to adapt to the situation is impressive to say the least, but I don’t think most players are built the same way. 

Is the theme of the video accurate? Sure. A new club doesn’t make you a better golfer by itself. Is the best way to show that idea having a professional shoot under par with half a beginner’s set? Probably not. 

Entertaining, nonetheless. 

So why can't we have fun trying different club/shafts just because they are out there, sure a mid capper is more likely than not to also be a mid capper but if all there was to golf was going to the range every day and beating balls until you fall over the state of Golf would be much worst imo.

I know I am never going to be a + cap or even a 5 for that matter, but I enjoy building my own stuff and trying to find that perfect combination for my swing. Sure I would love to break Par one day, but those days are getting real hard to find (heck shooting high 70's is getting real hard to find) and I just have to face the fact I am going to be another old guy with a cool set of clubs. 

• Like 1

Callaway Max LS 10.5 Fuji 2.0 6X

Callaway Speed 4 wood Fuji 2.0 6X

Callaway XF CB 21 3 iron XCaliber RT 85 stiff

Callaway APEX TCB 4-AW Catalyst 100 6.0

Callaway MD5 52 & 58 XCaliber RT wedge

Toulon Las Vegas BGT Stability

I must add that the pro, had he brought along his sand wedge, could have scored a couple more birdies.  Hitting the ball close with a pitching wedge around the greens proved much harder.

With regard to custom equipment, I again quote my idol Jack Nicklaus from his venerable book, Golf My Way.

...I believe that a well-made set of standard modern golf clubs will suit just about 95 percent of all golfers.  The remaining 5 percent are either people to who some modification might be helpful because of an idiosyncrasy of physique or physical condition, or players who've reached so high a level of skill that their only road to further improvement is through very fine tuning.

Answering StuartG's question: all my sets are about a $100 anyway, with none of the irons from this millennium.  They all have 37.5" 5 irons, they all have standard lies and lofts, with the pitching wedges all at 48 degrees.  Most of the sets have 2 irons and some have 1 irons, but I shoot the same with any set.

With standard specs, anyone can still shoot a low score, regardless of make, model, and price.  Paramount is having good fundamentals   Fundamentals are what get you through a round of golf, not your equipment.  Rely on your fundamentals, not equipment.

Third hole I think it was. 300 yards to reach the green on a Par 4. Rick suggests he'd do it easily with his own gear. Hits the 9 degree driver with a soft shaft and the ball spins up in the air and barely makes it 280 yards.

This is the reason why club customisation is a good thing.  It doesn't turn bad golfers in to good golfers. And yes, good golfers can make any clubs work for them.  Customisation is about optimisation!  It's about getting the best out of what you bring to the table.

It's also about removing variables, even when the benefit of that is purely mental.  If you think you're playing with equipment that is customised to maximise your play, you also remove all excuses when you don't pull off the desired shot.  That's on you, not the equipment. 

Callaway Rogue 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 19* Hybrid
Srixon Z U45 23* Utility
Srixon ZX7 5 - AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore Mid Grind 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

2 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

With standard specs, anyone can still shoot a low score, regardless of make, model, and price.  Paramount is having good fundamentals   Fundamentals are what get you through a round of golf, not your equipment.  Rely on your fundamentals, not equipment.

The second part of Stuart's comment was pointing out that ill fit equipment can keep you from having good fundamentals... some people don't have the physical ability to swing an iron with a 130g steel shaft on the proper plane.  So providing them with a shaft that better fits their ability gives them a chance of having good fundamentals.  Just handing them a stock club and yelling at them to fix their swing does not.

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST, 8.5*, OG Aldila NV 75s
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP 25, 4&5 iron, DG X100 SSx1
Mizuno MP 5, 6-PW, DG X100 SSx1
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled CC, 53* & 58* (DG S300)
Piretti Potenza II Rev 2.0, 375g, 34"
Srixon Z Star Tour Yellow