2021 Honda LPGA Thailand (May 06 - 09)

I can only watch on UTube, the next day.  I've learned to choose the Japanese golf choices as more complete coverage and so easy to mute those guys.  

The LPGA, and PGA, only show sketchy highlights or featured players, some not even close to contending but the Japanese  show more than one hour of many players and shots.

Any opinions here on golf Olympics this year?  I mean it's not worth a penny to the winner, lots of Covid in Japan, quarantine probable just like Thailand, or worse, and surely no fans (aka patrons!).  Maybe big face to the players will be enough to draw them in.  IMO, the entire Olympic show is nonsense now. I get the competition part for the athletes but the underpinning CASH/POLITICS running the whole scene leaves me cold.

Well, Lydia Ko seemed to run on fumes after her Lotte win, the sparkling has gone.  I'm glad she'll take time out before USWO to recharge.  Maybe she'll lose her position as #1 on both CME Race to Globe and Rolex points earned this season; but it would be well worth it.

Hope to see a refreshed Lydia at Olympic Club!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KBong said:

In a long drive contest where you only need to put 1 drive in the grid....I'm taking Ariya over Bianca...ALL DAY LONG.

No one on the LPGA shows the AGGRESSION through the ball like Ariya.

You won’t find a bigger fan of Ariya than I. She’s got the firepower but It seems like she’d struggle to hit it in the middle of the face.

Very very happy to see her win again. I hope this means she’s regularly contending again.

7 hours ago, Cwebb said:

As good a game as Patty usually has,...she unfortunately includes one of my biggest pet peeves in her approach.   Around the greens, she hits high pitch shots no matter how much green there is to work with.  I've never understood why so many players continue to do this.  You don't have to always use a sand/lob wedge.  Boggles my mind.

Hopefully Grant Waite or somebody will get her working on a bump a run chip shot

But when said players try a chip and run, look at the results! Many find the chip and run harder. I don't get it.

6 hours ago, Cwebb said:

I just muted it...again.  Awful jabber, such as "she just came back down to earth with a par".  Nonsense

The commentary just drove me nuts.

Kate Burton described the players as chasing the leader...on the 4th hole of the first round.

Tim Low says that Hannah Green's putter had gone "ice cold" after she had grazed the hole on 40 foot putts on consecutive holes.

Tim Low described Ariya's situation as desperate with holes running out...she was 1 back with 3 to play. 1 back!!!

You know that 3/4 of what they say is arrant nonsense, but they think it sounds cool (or something!)

But I did learn that Hannah Green has gained 15 yards. And so has Lydia.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jobin said:

I can only watch on UTube, the next day.  I've learned to choose the Japanese golf choices as more complete coverage and so easy to mute those guys.  

The LPGA, and PGA, only show sketchy highlights or featured players, some not even close to contending but the Japanese  show more than one hour of many players and shots.

Any opinions here on golf Olympics this year?  I mean it's not worth a penny to the winner, lots of Covid in Japan, quarantine probable just like Thailand, or worse, and surely no fans (aka patrons!).  Maybe big face to the players will be enough to draw them in.  IMO, the entire Olympic show is nonsense now. I get the competition part for the athletes but the underpinning CASH/POLITICS running the whole scene leaves me cold.

I'm all for it, for what it's worth. And I think the players feel the same.

13 minutes ago, Raving Shanker said:

Kate Burton described the players as chasing the leader...on the 4th hole of the first round.

Tim Low says that Hannah Green's putter had gone "ice cold" after she had grazed the hole on 40 foot putts on consecutive holes.

Tim Low described Ariya's situation as desperate with holes running out...she was 1 back with 3 to play. 1 back!!!

You know that 3/4 of what they say is arrant nonsense, but they think it sounds cool (or something!)

the course was 2 shots easier than when the average male hack plays it

6500 is very generous.7th tee was up so was 15 and 18,thats about 200 there

Drama? Who called in the rain to suspend play? All that was missing was a playoff, but we certainly got an exciting finish.

I was looking forward to welcoming the newest member of the LPGA, but that will have to wait. 'Couldn't be happier for Ariya, though. Winning her home championship, and ending a nearly three year winning drought is certainly worth the tears. I got a chance to chat with Ariya a few years back at the Meier, and she's a sweetheart. What a heck of a charge. I predicted that she would need a little help, and she got it, but she did exactly what she needed to do.

Really feel for Atthaya. It took a crazy low round to beat her, and she should be proud to finish solo 2nd. It's going to sting, but I'm sure we'll see her on the tour soon.

I guess Patty is human after all. Definitely has the length, and will certainly win again soon, but her short game needs polishing. She looked like she was dealing with allergies. I know that pain. 

Lydia is back, but that doesn't mean she doesn't still have work to do. Her normally hot putter cooled off, and couldn't bail her out of some tough spots. I like the added length off the tee, but it's like we're watching Phil now. Lol. With all the low sores today a top 10 has to feel like a small victory.

I expected more from Hannah and Gaby. They both got off to good starts, but bogies just ain't going to get it done. 

Nice to see So Yeon make a Sunday charge with her lowest round of the year. Another ex-#1 getting back into form.

For a minute there I thought Amy just might pull off the miracle. Alas, that 3 over start on Thursday was the difference. I'm going on record to pick her to win in 2023. Lol.

A little surprised, no a lot surprised, by Angel's final bogie free round. She certainly has the firepower, but tends to fade on Sundays.

It almost seemed like the LPGA rules officials were reading my comments here. How did they manage to go from three 5 hour rounds to a 4:30 round? Still too slow for my liking, but definitely an improvement. Heck, the opening nine holes only took two hours.

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

9 hours ago, Supermilo said:

Id say Jeen takes this one and pulls away... Ms T already leaking oil with 2 bogeys on the front 9. Jeen is grazing the hole for birdies pretty much every hole...

Ariya can still do it but Jenn is no lightweight in this setting, esp in Thailand... 

It's for Jeen to lose if she doesn't close this out... Go Jen/Jeen!

Well this didn't age well!  😄 All kidding aside ... Ariya shot the lights out today.  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Par 5 #18 played 428 yards, really a long par 4.

Atthaya bogeyed #17 and par #18, essentially a bogey/bogey finish to lose the title.  It's no different than the then 18 years Yealimi Noh losing the final four holes to lose the title to Hannah Green at 2019 Cambia Portland Classic.

More and more, I believe the biggest transition from junior/amateur careers to LPGA is mental.  It's the belief that she's good enough to win and should win.

Both Atthaya and Yealimi are tough customers, those setbacks won't stop them.  It's a matter of when not if as far as their futures are concerned.

• Like 3

A three-putt bogey to give up the lead on 17 is such a brutal way to lose a tournament. It looked like Atthaya had to stop and compose herself for her par putt on 18. You've gotta feel for her, even if you know she's got a long career ahead of her.

Can't help but love seeing Ariya back in the winner's circle, though it took a competitor's collapse to get there. What a year for resurging former superstars, eh?

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

The weather delay couldn't have come at a worse time for Atthaya. Yeah, she bogied the 17th, but her ballstriking was still solid. Heck, she hit a decent approach on the 18th, but a little too much adrenaline pumping. Standing around and then hitting a long iron is no easy task.

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

2 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

The weather delay couldn't have come at a worse time for Atthaya. Yeah, she bogied the 17th, but her ballstriking was still solid. Heck, she hit a decent approach on the 18th, but a little too much adrenaline pumping. Standing around and then hitting a long iron is no easy task.

Beautiful ball striking from tee to green.  However the putter has to be working in order to seal the deal, in a close one down the stretch.  

She certainly belongs out there with the best.  Hope to see her again sometime soon

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

Beautiful ball striking from tee to green.  However the putter has to be working in order to seal the deal, in a close one down the stretch.  

She certainly belongs out there with the best.  Hope to see her again sometime soon

It certainly looked like she got too aggressive with the putt on the 17th. She wasn't trying to lag it close, but was going for the hole. The right to left slope really carried it away. That said, she still had a decent chance of saving par.

10 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

It certainly looked like she got too aggressive with the putt on the 17th. She wasn't trying to lag it close, but was going for the hole. The right to left slope really carried it away. That said, she still had a decent chance of saving par.

Yup.  First time on that big stage....and it makes short putts down the stretch more difficult.  Even an experienced player like Hannah Green can struggle with it

41 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Par 5 #18 played 428 yards, really a long par 4.

Atthaya bogeyed #17 and par #18, essentially a bogey/bogey finish to lose the title.  It's no different than the then 18 years Yealimi Noh losing the final four holes to lose the title to Hannah Green at 2019 Cambia Portland Classic.

More and more, I believe the biggest transition from junior/amateur careers to LPGA is mental.  It's the belief that she's good enough to win and should win.

Both Atthaya and Yealimi are tough customers, those setbacks won't stop them.  It's a matter of when not if as far as their futures are concerned.

I think she believes that she is talented enough.  That was her first time on that big of a stage....and at her homeland tournament.  The excitement in her was huge.  She will be better next time

3 hours ago, Raving Shanker said:

They really beat the distance thing to death, over and over again.  It's almost like they've been told to do so.  

Must be the thought of the old cliche "distance sells".  They can't get it out of there heads

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Golf Dino said:

Well this didn't age well!  😄 All kidding aside ... Ariya shot the lights out today.  

Dunno why she choked, plain and simple - the three putt, the missed 4 footer...  then again, now she knows how it feels when over $100k is at stake so a learning experience, albeit a painful one in terms of $ for now...

I’m sticking with Bianca solely from now on (Even if she's not in the field) 😛... way to "anti jinx" her monday qualifier tomorrow at NJ!  #GoB  (my experience with Su Oh in this tournament has proven it works/doesnt work LOL)

Edited by HMHS
typo, added Su Oh comments for "posterity" :P
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Raving Shanker said:

But when said players try a chip and run, look at the results! Many find the chip and run harder. I don't get it.

They really don't know how to "chip".  Everything is some sort of a "pitch".  Chipping requires a shorter swing, much closer to a putting stroke.   Raymond Floyd called it "putting with loft".

You have to go out to a practice green with no wedges....and really learn how to chip and run.  Once you get the feel of it, the ball starts rolling up to the hole almost like a putt.  Enables you to make more of them as well.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Cwebb said:

They really beat the distance thing to death, over and over again.  It's almost like they've been told to do so.  

Must be the thought of the old cliche "distance sells".  They can't get it out of there heads

Thing is, all the players who played the Lotte and ANA are averaging more yardage off the tee this year. There were some insane driving distance averages during those two events which boosted the average for the year.

I'm not saying some players haven't picked up a little yardage, but those two events really impacted the distance thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supermilo said:

Dunno why she choked, plain and simple - the three putt, the missed 4 footer...  then again, now she knows how it feels when over $100k is at stake so a learning experience, albeit a painful one in terms of $ for now...

I’m sticking with Bianca solely from now on (Even if she's not in the field) 😛... way to "anti jinx" her monday qualifier tomorrow at NJ!  #GoB  (my experience with Su Oh in this tournament has proven it works/doesnt work LOL)

No Bianca is in the field next week already and thank God it would have been a lonely Monday qualifier as there's no event this week 🙂

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Stooch said:

No Bianca is in the field next week already and thank God it would have been a lonely Monday qualifier as there's no event this week 🙂

whoa?  which tournament?  I’m confused LOL... she's trying to qualify for the USWO on Mon/Tue...  yes she's in pure silk... and is so-so for Daly City (moves in and out of reserve list)...

Edited by HMHS

My one gripe about the course set-up is it really puts 1/2 the field at a disadvantage, not sure if this is a Beth Ann special but 4 reachable par5's and a drivable par4 for the long hitters but just a little too long for the shorter hitters is just a bit too much.  Over the course of 4 rounds IMO that's just too much of a disadvantage for what really is an arbitrary skill.  But whatever this stuff won't affect any of my favorite players, they'll be fine so whatever I guess lol 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stooch said:

My one gripe about the course set-up is it really puts 1/2 the field at a disadvantage, not sure if this is a Beth Ann special but 4 reachable par5's and a drivable par4 for the long hitters but just a little too long for the shorter hitters is just a bit too much.  Over the course of 4 rounds IMO that's just too much of a disadvantage for what really is an arbitrary skill.  But whatever this stuff won't affect any of my favorite players, they'll be fine so whatever I guess lol 

I thought that too. It was as if the distances were carefully chosen. If the par 5's, and that one par 4, were 30 yards shorter or longer they would reachable to almost the entire field, or to nobody. 5 holes of this nature was too many.

• Like 2