2021 Honda LPGA Thailand (May 06 - 09)

10 hours ago, Stooch said:

I'm gonna go with probably a very unpopular take and pick the best player from Thailand ........... Atthaya Thitikul 😇  I see patterns with other players of her age able to come on tour and just TAKE LPGA membership and I think this is a field that this goal is definitely achievable. 

I would hope she has IMG as an agent to help her get some more LPGA invites...but with the pandemic ......she might just want to stay home for a while. 

If this pandemic linger on....maybe she should follow the Yuka Saso model and qualify and join the JLPGA to have a tour with more competition, prize money and a limited amount of travel required....before registering for Q-Series in the future.

I do like that Thitkul has some length/distance.

On another note....the future Thai team can be a good fav in the upcoming Int'l Crown event(s)...heck...why not give Bangkok a chance to host one year.

Amata Spring GC near Bangkok would be a good venue.....where the Asia Pacific Am was in 2013....it is a great event to watch and I think ESPN/TSN 2 covered the event in prior years.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KBong said:

I would hope she has IMG as an agent to help her get some more LPGA invites...but with the pandemic ......she might just want to stay home for a while. 

If this pandemic linger on....maybe she should follow the Yuka Saso model and qualify and join the JLPGA to have a tour with more competition, prize money and a limited amount of travel required....before registering for Q-Series in the future.

I do like that Thitkul has some length/distance.

On another note....the future Thai team can be a good fav in the upcoming Int'l Crown event(s)...heck...why not give Bangkok a chance to host one year.

Amata Spring GC near Bangkok would be a good venue.....where the Asia Pacific Am was in 2013....it is a great event to watch and I think ESPN/TSN 2 covered the event in prior years.

Yeah, not the next Int'l Crown but the one after that, Thailand could be pushing Korea as to who is top dog.  Although has Korea won one yet?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KBong said:

It's basically impossible not to cheer for the "Smiling Cinderella"   I like Shibuno.

BUT

I think she caught lightening in a bottle at the 2019 WBO.

She did play well on the JLPGA in 2019....but the talent on the JLPGA pales against the top LPGA pros.

Shibuno hasn't really played well in her LPGA invites.

I think her swing is just a tad too loose to provide much needed consistency.

I do hope Shibuno can be successful at Q-Series if she registers and can be a weekly LPGA contender, but unfortunately I'm not overly confident.

I hope Shibuno proves me WRONG.

Yes, she hasn't been consistent indeed... But I really believe it's more the back b forth btwn jpn and US that's caused part of it... The other is, if I read right, changing her coach lately (I could be wrong on this one - eg lost in kanji/Google translate). 

Either way, I think she will be fine eventually... A Lim Kim is also been inconsistent so far, but it's tough in the LPGA, so I'll cut them a ton of slack in 2021... 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Yeah, not the next Int'l Crown but the one after that, Thailand could be pushing Korea as to who is top dog.  Although has Korea won one yet?

Aren't they the current champions? Eg korea

I think ingee played there and was extremely nervous (or my memory mixed up another tournament which ingee won and was nervous too lol)

Edited by HMHS
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Korea won in 2018 at Incheon....it's was CRAZY there with HUGE galleries.

I think one of the days was cancelled due to really bad weather...typhoon???...which was a shame.

With those galleries....you'd think the LPGA would make Korea a permanent host...same with Lancaster G&CC being a permanent USWO site considering the HUGE attendance in 2015.

In Gee won a week later at the Hana...played nearby at Sky 72.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Supermilo said:

Aren't they the current champions? Eg korea

You are probably correct, I watch them all cause the format and quality golf but Canada never has any skin in this game so I never remember the winners, I think I remember Spain winning it a couple Crowns ago but I could be wrong about that too lol

3 minutes ago, KBong said:

I think one of the days was cancelled due to really bad weather...typhoon???...which was a shame.

With those galleries....you'd think the LPGA would make Korea a permanent host...same with Lancaster G&CC being a permanent USWO site considering the HUGE attendance in 2015.

Ha! My memory was right! (See post prior to this)... Plus this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_International_Crown

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

Yes, she hasn't been consistent indeed... But I really believe it's more the back b forth btwn jpn and US that's caused part of it... The other is, if I read right, changing her coach lately (I could be wrong on this one - eg lost in kanji/Google translate). 

Either way, I think she will be fine eventually... A Lim Kim is also been inconsistent so far, but it's tough in the LPGA, so I'll cut them a ton of slack in 2021... 

Ya...not easy with all the travel, w/o a command of English and different cultures.

I like how Shibuno is an athlete...she is a really good softball player....supposedly she likes softball more than golf.

I can't find it....I've see Shibuno pitch a softball....it's AMAZING...she might have been a pitcher.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KBong said:

Okay, I remember it now after you mentioned Ingee winning the next week.

1 minute ago, Stooch said:

You are probably correct, I watch them all cause the format and quality golf but Canada never has any skin in this game so I never remember the winners, I think I remember Spain winning it a couple Crowns ago but I could be wrong about that too lol

Spain, USA and Korea have been the winners.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KBong said:

Ya...not easy with all the travel, w/o a command of English and different cultures.

I like how Shibuno is an athlete...she is a really good softball player....supposedly she likes softball more than golf.

I can't find it....I've see Shibuno pitch a softball....it's AMAZING...she might have been a pitcher.

Softball?  Like the kind I play in my beer league Tuesday night (before Covid) with underhand pitching.  Or where the girls pitch windmill style.

Yes she pitched in high school/elementary school... Dual sports in HS I think (or whatever High school is called in JPN)

I've been an avid follower of shibuno ever since I saw her win in Japan in July 2019 in person! Eg Salonpas cup... That's where I got to know her... Raining too on the final round - why it was memorable so it was irritating as a spectator lol... Then of course the British Open...

She's also a great person in general... Parents told her if she pouts, she wont have positive vibes on the course, hence the smiling poses to generate positive vibes/results! 😃

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Softball?  Like the kind I play in my beer league Tuesday night (before Covid) with underhand pitching.  Or where the girls pitch windmill style.

Windmill style... She's really good at it - eg shibuno

Matsuyama plays baseball too (pitching too)... 

Hmmm... I see a connection starting to brew here.... 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Supermilo said:

Yes she pitched in high school/elementary school... Dual sports in HS I think (or whatever High school is called in JPN)

I've been an avid follower of shibuno ever since I saw her win in Japan in July 2019 in person! Eg Salonpas cup... That's where I got to know her... Raining too on the final round - why it was memorable so it was irritating as a spectator lol... Then of course the British Open...

She's also a great person in general... Parents told her if she pouts, she wont have positive vibes on the course, hence the smiling poses to generate positive vibes/results! 😃

The courses played on the JLPGA are beautiful....I always like playing on parkland style courses.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, KBong said:

This is an easy one to answer....Hull is managed/represented by the "Dark Side"...aka IMG.😂

I believe many of the Asia Swing events are outsourced to IMG to run the events and also the TV production too???

I noticed Adam Woodward was not on Hull's bag In Singapore....did Charley fire him again or is this a temporary situation where Adam isn't making the Asia Swing???

I thought they mentioned that it was temporary. Seems like a number of players were using temporary loops during the swing.

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Just now, KBong said:

The courses played on the JLPGA are beautiful....I always like playing on parkland style courses.

Yes I was so caught up with the shibuno Salonpas win I wanted to stay another few weeks to watch the caterpillar open (eg CAT) in hakone featuring mamiko higa etc... But my schedule didn't allow it lol ... Just as well, when I came BK to North am, with jetlag, it was perfect as shibuno won BO thereafter lol...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

Windmill style... She's really good at it - eg shibuno

Matsuyama plays baseball too (pitching too)... 

Hmmm... I see a connection starting to brew here.... 

I love watching female college baseball, I find it nuts. lol  Some girls can really whip that thing and the mechanics involved throwing that way would have me really nervous standing at the plate trying to hit one of their pitches lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Argonne69 said:

I thought they mentioned that it was temporary. Seems like a number of players were using temporary loops during the swing.

I FF all PGA & LPGA recordings to watch them in an hour to bypass all the commercial and 2+ minutes to hit a shot or putt...so I don't catch many of the commentary.

Supposedly on this swing a pro can only have one person on their team to travel with...that's why Inbee's husband was looping and Beecher was absent.

But many pros had their regular loops in Singapore....and I think many expenses are paid for on the Asia swings...so I think an add'l airfare is also included in the expense package.

I think the Rocket had a local loop in Singapore...I've never seen that woman loop before....but I don't know if HYP has really had a 'regular' loop for quite some time....after Kylie...HYP has employed many caddies.

I wonder what Kylie is doing nowadays...she hasn't been In Gee's road manager for quite some time.

• Like 2

I FF all PGA & LPGA recordings to watch them in an hour to bypass all the commercial and 2+ minutes to hit a shot or putt...so I don't catch many of the commentary.

Supposedly on this swing a pro can only have one person on their team to travel with...that's why Inbee's husband was looping and Beecher was absent.

But many pros had their regular loops in Singapore....and I think many expenses are paid for on the Asia swings...so I think an add'l airfare is also included in the expense package.

I think the Rocket had a local loop in Singapore...I've never seen that woman loop before....but I don't know if HYP has really had a 'regular' loop for quite some time....after Kylie...HYP has employed many caddies.

I wonder what Kylie is doing nowadays...she hasn't been In Gee's road manager for quite some time.

I saw and said 'Hi" to Kylie at the Indy event in 2019. She was looping for one of the lower ranked players.

• Like 2

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

9 minutes ago, Stooch said:

I love watching female college baseball, I find it nuts. lol  Some girls can really whip that thing and the mechanics involved throwing that way would have me really nervous standing at the plate trying to hit one of their pitches lol

They have a big softball tournament here in South Surrey annually...I always intend on attending but have yet to make it.

I always say I want to head to Bandon...but have yet to play it too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I saw and said 'Hi" to Kylie at the Indy event in 2019. She was looping for one of the lower ranked players.

At the 2015 CWO...there was a wait at a tee block...surprise surprise with the LPGA 5+ hour rounds....I started to chat with Kylie,,,she was looping for the Mini Rocket...the one and only year Ju Young played on the LPGA.

Somehow we start chatting about golf balls....Kylie told me the Volviks were complete garbage....I couldn't agree more....lol.....obviously JYP had a small Volvik endorsement.

Lots of Koreans play golf here...so I find the odd Volvik...which I happily will hand over to another Korean that I get paired up with...if they want it....lol

I believe Bubba didn't perform well during his 1 year Volvik sponsorship and  I think he won the year following with a Titleist ball....coincidence??....LOL.

As much as you're a HYP fanboy....I don't think you can say you have watched the Mini Rocket play.golf

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KBong said:

At the 2015 CWO...there was a wait at a tee block...surprise surprise with the LPGA 5+ hour rounds....I started to chat with Kylie,,,she was looping for the Mini Rocket...the one and only year Ju Young played on the LPGA.

Somehow we start chatting about golf balls....Kylie told me the Volviks were complete garbage....I couldn't agree more....lol.....obviously JYP had a small Volvik endorsement.

Lots of Koreans play golf here...so I find the odd Volvik...which I happily will hand over to another Korean that I get paired up with...if they want it....lol

I believe Bubba didn't perform well during his 1 year Volvik sponsorship and  I think he won the year following with a Titleist ball....coincidence??....LOL.

As much as you're a HYP fanboy....I don't think you can say you have watched the Mini Rocket play.golf

It'd been a while since I've found a Volvik on the golf course. Lol. I play most Monday mornings, and it's not unusual for me to find a dozen or more premium golf balls on the course after a weekend's worth of hacks tear up the course. 'Haven't bought a Pro V1 in, ummm, ever. I think I have 5 dozen or more in the back of my SUV.

I've seen highlights of Mini on YouTube from several of her KLPGA events, but never in person.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KBong said:

They are indeed beautiful parkland courses but they seem especially tiring on the legs, with all the elevation changes, from what I've seen.

So we have Shibuno's parents to thank for that lovely smile, Is she very double jointed as when taking a stance her forearms from wrists to elbows appear to be touching, something I couldn't possibly emulate. I hope her parents didn;t take Ben Hogan;s famous book too seriously and bound her arms together too tightly. 🙂

• Like 3

Uggg!!  Was just watching Golf Today and looks like they're going with "Patty T", I understand if during tournament a player we never knew about jumps up the leaderboard and they have a name that difficult to pronounce and people have a hard time with it, this is common IMO.  But when you have a player who is gonna be fixture and probably a top 10 player for a long time, not learning the proper pronunciation of said name is IMO embarrassing and lazy.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Stooch said:

Uggg!!  Was just watching Golf Today and looks like they're going with "Patty T", I understand if during tournament a player we never knew about jumps up the leaderboard and they have a name that difficult to pronounce and people have a hard time with it, this is common IMO.  But when you have a player who is gonna be fixture and probably a top 10 player for a long time, not learning the proper pronunciation of said name is IMO embarrassing and lazy.

True enough, but I suspect that if Patty T. continues her top notch play, she will just become known as "Patty". 

Her name in Thai is ...  Panchangorn Thawatchakit, and she is referred to as "Pro Meow" ... I will be communicating with my Thai colleague soon and will seek additional clarification on this tidbit of Jeopardy info.

• Like 4

@Golf Dino

Did you ever expect Patty to be this good this fast?  She' been playing; along with Lydia, Nelly and Inbee; as if she's the No. 1 player in the world.

She's such a dominating force in college and at Symetra Tour, it almost like she purposely threw a curve ball to fool us in her 2020 rookie season debut.

As much as I've been tuning into her development, I didn't expect her to drive longer than Bianca Pagdanganan and putting as well as Lydia Ko.  She's a total package.

Color me "Impressed!"

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

I rarely have expectations about a player in golf.  As we all know, there simply are too many variables and golf is just too finicky -- anything can happen, and often does!   

You're so right there.

Yani Tseng was going to be the greatest golfer of all time; when she won her 12th LPGA titles (including 5 majors) at 22.  Who'd ever know that she's going to win only 3 more titles and can't break par at 32.

As you've said, the best is to appreciate and enjoy it when they play well!

• Like 2