USGA Rules Quiz; two questions / comments

3 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

So... if we made a true/false claim like this:

- 'When taking free relief or penalty relief, a substituted ball or the original ball must be dropped in a particular relief area.'

the correct answer would be True, correct?

No the correct answer is False.

See 16.1d.

The importance of being precise when posing questions as you have highlighted.😂

Edited by limegreengent

5 hours ago, antip said:

IMO, the notable feature of a relief rule - as used in the OP Q1 - is where a substituted ball or the original ball must be dropped in a particular relief area when taking permitted actions under that rule. We have guidance to this effect in Rule 6.3b and the preamble to Rule 14.

Unlike Mr B, and possibly Hale, I don't have any issues with that question and its answer.

I was surprised to find the word "relief" under the Cleaning Ball MLR and when I checked, it's not used in the Finnish translation. But, in my opinion a player is taking relief from a movable obstruction when it is moved out of the way.

I would definitely change the question to better serve its purpose, teach the person taking the quiz the fact that you're allowed to substitute a ball every time you need to drop or place a ball into play and avoid any possible confusion about what constitutes as "taking relief".

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

2 hours ago, limegreengent said:

No the correct answer is False.

See 16.1d.

The importance of being precise when posing questions as you have highlighted.😂

Indeed, and that was my entire point in my post. I hoped that Sui would have answered in my post as it was he who wrote:

'Beyond playing "gotcha" with practice exam questions and answers, here's what a player needs to know. '

And then it appears it is not enough for a player to know the beginning of Rule 14.

I guess he made my point without knowing it and definitively not wanting it 🤣

Since this topic is addressing the "General Area" website...good place to post this. I had seen it when I was studying...but kind of forgot.

This is on the very 1st page of the 500 questions - under the most basic questions...what am I missing here?

9. A player must not deliberately apply any substance to a ball to change its playing characteristics during the round. There is a penalty for doing so.

F

False????...so there is no penalty for deliberately applying a substance to change playing characteristcs? How does that jibe with 4.2a(2)?

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

Just now, limegreengent said:

You only get a penalty if you make a stroke with that ball.

Like you put some vaseline on your ball before teeing off on hole #12 but before you tee off someone says that is not ok and you change your ball to another. No penalty.

If I could choose there would be a penalty as soon as you put vaseline on a ball just for the sheer attempt. But that is another story.

17 minutes ago, TerpFangolfer said:

Ah, I see- they didn't make a stroke yet ...I didn't expect a "trick" worded question in the basic section.

Thanks 

I would not see that as a trick question. It is important to know what is it that triggers a breach.

For example, you may carry a non-conforming club as one of the 14 but you are not allowed to make a stroke with it. Or you may have an orange whip in your bag during the round but you are not allowed to use it for the purpose it has been designed for but you may fish a ball from the water with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

I would not see that as a trick question. It is important to know what is it that triggers a breach.

For example, you may carry a non-conforming club as one of the 14 but you are not allowed to make a stroke with it. Or you may have an orange whip in your bag during the round but you are not allowed to use it for the purpose it has been designed for but you may fish a ball from the water with it.

Good luck at fishing a ball out of water with an orange whip, sounds like a bit of a challenge.

I have a different orange whip rules story. I'm referee at a district match play club teams final, not assigned to individual matches. A close match is on the 16th and the two players are waiting for green to clear so A can hit and they are chatting away. B says "what the f... is this monstrosity?" and takes the orange whip out of A's bag and proceeds to take a swing with it. A replies "I use it to warm up before play". B wins a tight match and then A asks me (friendly, not making a claim) whether B's action on 16 was a breach. I confirmed yes, if A had made a timely claim, I would have had no choice but to declare that A won that hole for B's breach of Rule 4.3a. The moral: stick to helping yourself to your opponent's beer, leave the orange whip alone.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, antip said:

Good luck at fishing a ball out of water with an orange whip, sounds like a bit of a challenge.

I have a different orange whip rules story. I'm referee at a district match play club teams final, not assigned to individual matches. A close match is on the 16th and the two players are waiting for green to clear so A can hit and they are chatting away. B says "what the f... is this monstrosity?" and takes the orange whip out of A's bag and proceeds to take a swing with it. A replies "I use it to warm up before play". B wins a tight match and then A asks me (friendly, not making a claim) whether B's action on 16 was a breach. I confirmed yes, if A had made a timely claim, I would have had no choice but to declare that A won that hole for B's breach of Rule 4.3a. The moral: stick to helping yourself to your opponent's beer, leave the orange whip alone.

This is my favourite orange whip story:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jimbo123 said:

Which part of 4.3a does this breach?  

(6)  Stretching Devices and Training or Swing Aids.

• Not Allowed.
    • Using any type of golf training or swing aid (such as an alignment rod or a weighted headcover or “donut”) or a non-conforming club to make a practice swing or in any other way that creates a potential advantage by helping the player in preparing for or making a stroke (such as help with swing plane, grip, alignment, ball position or posture).
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

On 5/5/2021 at 5:21 AM, TerpFangolfer said:

Since this topic is addressing the "General Area" website...good place to post this. I had seen it when I was studying...but kind of forgot.

This is on the very 1st page of the 500 questions - under the most basic questions...what am I missing here?

9. A player must not deliberately apply any substance to a ball to change its playing characteristics during the round. There is a penalty for doing so.

F

False????...so there is no penalty for deliberately applying a substance to change playing characteristcs? How does that jibe with 4.2a(2)?

Came across an alternate explanation for the “false”, which is that 4.2a(2) lets you apply a substance to clean the ball.   (To be clear I don’t disagree with the explanation already given, both seem correct although maybe this one is less of a “trick”?) 

3 hours ago, jimbo123 said:

Came across an alternate explanation for the “false”, which is that 4.2a(2) lets you apply a substance to clean the ball.   (To be clear I don’t disagree with the explanation already given, both seem correct although maybe this one is less of a “trick”?) 

What do you understand by 'orange whip' in this context?

• Confused 1