Any update on production at PING?

Cpr3584

Not to be a Ping fanboy, but they (and other OEMs) are at the mercy of what Mitsubishi Chemical, Golf Pride, etc., are telling them.  I ordered a g425 max driver last week.  In the original discussion, I was quoted June 23rd with a Tensei orange shaft.  When I confirmed the order, they moved it up two weeks based on when they were told they would have the shaft.  When it shows up a week or two late (as I expect it will), is it Ping's fault or Mitsubishi's?  The problem for these OEMs is that we complain about them, but where is the angst towards Golf Pride?  Or shaft manufacturers?

Now, it would be nice if they added a feature on their website that allowed customers to put in their order number and get a real-time update/estimate, but expecting to have someone manning the phone lines for all of their anxious customers doesn't sound like a good use of workers to me.

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue, Ping g425 6h Tensei orange

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

Just now, vpexp said:

I was hoping for an ‘a ha’ moment for you, since you are quick to give advice and critique others it seemed like you would also be open to advice and critique, but obviously there is a wrong way to do things and “your way” 

Glad you have it all figured out.

That certainly is a hot take on this, does the hypocrisy not slap you in the face?

Please let me know where I've been wrong in my observations and when all things are going to get cleared up and back to normal operating practices, or do you not know?

A Revolving Door

10 hours ago, ctmason_98 said:

Okay, so I phrased it poorly. I meant when does Ping accept the payment and added whether the payer is the merchant or consumer. 

So that’s settled. When does Ping charge the merchant. At the time of order?

Ping only sends an invoice to the account upon the product leaving Ping once it is completed.  The account never pays up front for something they don't have.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

10 hours ago, ctmason_98 said:

Okay, so I phrased it poorly. I meant when does Ping accept the payment and added whether the payer is the merchant or consumer. 

Ping only sends an invoice to the account upon the product leaving Ping once it is completed.  The account never pays up front for something they don't have.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Just to chime in with my two cents here, as I work in the global trade industry, and happen to be an avid weekend golfer.

I think in many instances, expectations are unreasonable, but at the same time when these retailers are holding a consumers money for months on hand - that to me, is far more unreasonable.  If Ping, TM, Titleist, etc. are billing GG, Carl's, Golfio, etc. at the time of shipment...why are you billing your consumers prior to receiving their product?  3-5 months in advance...you are a specialty golf retailer, not a bank.  These purchases aren't exactly pocket change nowadays.

As well, being in the industry you have to keep your customer informed.  When I ordered from Carl's, it was on me to follow up with the retailer as far as when I should expect my order...why?  I am paying funds in advance for a product, and a service.  A part of service should be keeping me informed.  Many of these retailers and OEM's need a lesson in Customer Service 101...it is not that hard to keep your consumer informed.  It goes a long way, regardless if the news is good or bad.

Guys, I was simply asking about the production time at PING and if anyone had heard if it was speeding up. It appears that is not the case, if anything it is slower than when I placed the order. I realize there are supply issues. I realize there are covid safety protocols in Arizona.  I am not trying to complain- I have waited 10 years to get new irons and saved up the money to buy them. I dont need a lecture on patience and the entitled millienial generation . I know some of you were trying to help. have a good day and keep em long and straight 

• Like 1

Taylormade M2
Callaway Epic 15 degree
Titleist 910H
Titleist 716CB with Dynamic Gold S400 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 56, 60
Titleist Scotty California Monterey 35 in
Titleist Pro V1x

38 minutes ago, scott.nalu said:

A part of service should be keeping me informed.  Many of these retailers and OEM's need a lesson in Customer Service 101...it is not that hard to keep your consumer informed.  It goes a long way, regardless if the news is good or bad.

It would likely take an employee a few days a week from actual work being done just to make that amount of calls. The bigger stores are likely dealing with hundreds of orders.  I don't find it reasonable to have them try and call the OEM's every couple of weeks with all the PO's trying to find info just to relay that back to the consumer.  There is no way the OEM's have enough on staff to handle that amount of call volume from thousands of accounts.

I personally don't believe that 'customer service 101' covers world wide pandemic that has cause crazy delays in the manufacturing of goods let alone all the receiving issues and backlog at the ports.

A Revolving Door

I disagree...I feel that with the size of these companies, and the sheer volume at which they produce - they could easily automate this system with a simple email or text message when the queue prompts it to do so.

TEXT1 - Order has been received.

TEXT2- Order is in production.

ETC...

Anything information is better than right now...place an order, and 12 weeks later you receive a dispatch notification from FedEx....really?

Anyway, back to the original thread on timelines...my experience:

02/11/2021 - Placed order for i210 (5-PW) irons via Carl's Golfland (quoted 10-12 weeks) KBS C-Taper 120 shafts and Golf Pride TV Mid grips.

04/07/2021 - Order was delivered.

My order took around 8 weeks.  Both Carl's and Ping exceeded my expectations from the initial timeframe.

Scott

9 minutes ago, scott.nalu said:

I disagree...I feel that with the size of these companies, and the sheer volume at which they produce - they could easily automate this system with a simple email or text message when the queue prompts it to do so.

Automate the system to tell you what, that they have no idea and are in a best guess scenario?  So basically what we are in currently?

• Thanks 1

A Revolving Door

10 minutes ago, scott.nalu said:

ETC...

Anything information is better than right now...place an order, and 12 weeks later you receive a dispatch notification from FedEx....really?

02/11/2021 - Placed order for i210 (5-PW) irons via Carl's Golfland (quoted 10-12 weeks) KBS C-Taper 120 shafts and Golf Pride TV Mid grips.

My order took around 8 weeks.  Both Carl's and Ping exceeded my expectations from the initial timeframe.

Scott

Good to hear. thanks 

Taylormade M2
Callaway Epic 15 degree
Titleist 910H
Titleist 716CB with Dynamic Gold S400 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 56, 60
Titleist Scotty California Monterey 35 in
Titleist Pro V1x

21 minutes ago, scott.nalu said:

ETC...

Scott

And then when they invest weeks of time to implement this system, it takes time away from other duties and folks like you will find another thing to whine and complain about. Y'all act like these OEMs have people sitting around twiddling their thumbs or something. 

3 hours ago, uglande said:

Ping (and other OEMs) are not being upfront with people about how long these orders are going to take. If they were honest about it, they would make this clear on their website, etc. that there are unprecedented supply-chain challenges and that consumers should expect very long delays. And retailers (some of them) are also hiding the ball on this, creating unrealistic expectations for people.

I don't think they're being dishonest.   They're probably going with the estimates they have, but something unexpected is coming up and different industries are responding at different rates.   The reality is that they don't know what they don't know.    And the answer is changing daily depending on what their different suppliers are able to do.

In my area of work, our products have gone from a few weeks lead time, to a few months, and now to many months.

For any product that's produced overseas or relies on overseas components - which covers just about everything but food - my approach is that unless something shows as currently in stock, all bets are off as to when it will be available.   That applies to everything from vehicles to appliances to golf gear.   

39 minutes ago, BlkNGld said:

I don't think they're being dishonest.   They're probably going with the estimates they have, but something unexpected is coming up and different industries are responding at different rates.   The reality is that they don't know what they don't know.    And the answer is changing daily depending on what their different suppliers are able to do.

In my area of work, our products have gone from a few weeks lead time, to a few months, and now to many months.

For any product that's produced overseas or relies on overseas components - which covers just about everything but food - my approach is that unless something shows as currently in stock, all bets are off as to when it will be available.   That applies to everything from vehicles to appliances to golf gear.   

And yet even that most basic information is not offered by Ping or others. I'm not expecting that they provide precise delivery dates. Obviously there are a lot of unknowns. But if they were honest, they would at least acknowledge this and be candid about it on their websites. But there's nothing. 

Titleist TSR 1w Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TSR 3w Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR 5w Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR 4h Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T150 4i-6i X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

8 hours ago, PEI_Golfer said:

Automate the system to tell you what, that they have no idea and are in a best guess scenario?  So basically what we are in currently?

It occurred to me also…and to be clear I have no dog in this fight… it if there is uncertainty in your supply chain(s) that are this disruptive, is Ping better off not accepting orders for certain products until they have more certainty?

Eh, kind of an unanswerable question I guess, easy for me to run their business. 

15 hours ago, quizzylish said:

Are you sure you weren't forgotten?  Haven't heard of anyone waiting 5 months, especially an order from January.  Unless you have some kind of special build that makes your case special. 

Yah, I have been in contact with the retailer.

They called me after a few weeks to say the wait would be longer than advised. And I called them a week or two ago and they said it wouldn't be much longer. But I'm still waiting.

And nothing fancy either: true temper shafts and golf pride grips.

I know there are delays all over the industry, so it can't be helped. But had I known it would be this long, I would have looked at other brands.

1 hour ago, PrettyGood said:

I know there are delays all over the industry, so it can't be helped. But had I known it would be this long, I would have looked at other brands.

As you posted above pretty much every else in golf are facing the same delays. So how would of looking at or choosing another brand changed anything if everyone is still dealing with the same delays?

On 5/3/2021 at 10:26 PM, ctmason_98 said:

Ping charges the retailer when the product is shipped.  

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

On 5/3/2021 at 8:36 PM, ZAP said:

As someone said to me in a similar post "if you aren't willing to wait a couple of extra weeks did you really want it in the first place?"   Valid point.

I don’t know that I totally agree with that especially as so many were told a “few extra weeks” and those few extra weeks turn into months with no end in sight. 

I would say that the customer does need to understand these are unprecedented times and this has caused issues outside the OEM’s control. 

All that stated, there are other options out there. Although one may have chosen a certain OEM brand/model, had that individual known in advance of the real timeline, they may very well have chosen differently. 

To some degree, golf equipment is a seasonal item. Folks don’t want to pay upwards of $1k or more and not receive until the season is over. If one lives in the Midwest and needs pool or farm equipment, should they have to wait until after the season to get it?

Simply put, ALL OEM’s need to do a better job of estimating their product  availability, delivery timeline and be upfront with those projects.

The customer also needs to understand those are projections.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

8 hours ago, PrettyGood said:

Yah, I have been in contact with the retailer.

They called me after a few weeks to say the wait would be longer than advised. And I called them a week or two ago and they said it wouldn't be much longer. But I'm still waiting.

And nothing fancy either: true temper shafts and golf pride grips.

From my reading of the forums here, it seems that the Golf Pride Grips are a big problem right now; causing delays for TM it seems along with lots of stores running out!

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

2 hours ago, Cwing said:

I don’t know that I totally agree with that especially as so many were told a “few extra weeks” and those few extra weeks turn into months with no end in sight. 

I would say that the customer does need to understand these are unprecedented times and this has caused issues outside the OEM’s control. 

All that stated, there are other options out there. Although one may have chosen a certain OEM brand/model, had that individual known in advance of the real timeline, they may very well have chosen differently. 

To some degree, golf equipment is a seasonal item. Folks don’t want to pay upwards of $1k or more and not receive until the season is over. If one lives in the Midwest and needs pool or farm equipment, should they have to wait until after the season to get it?

Simply put, ALL OEM’s need to do a better job of estimating their product  availability, delivery timeline and be upfront with those projects.

The customer also needs to understand those are projections.

OEM's might even release a new line of product before than can even fill orders on last years models!

22 hours ago, Cpr3584 said:

Guys, I was simply asking about the production time at PING and if anyone had heard if it was speeding up. It appears that is not the case, if anything it is slower than when I placed the order. I realize there are supply issues. I realize there are covid safety protocols in Arizona.  I am not trying to complain- I have waited 10 years to get new irons and saved up the money to buy them. I dont need a lecture on patience and the entitled millienial generation . I know some of you were trying to help. have a good day and keep em long and straight 

Lol.  Boy that went off the rails quickly, didn't it?

• Haha 3

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

15 hours ago, grm24 said:

As you posted above pretty much every else in golf are facing the same delays. So how would of looking at or choosing another brand changed anything if everyone is still dealing with the same delays?

While everyone has been facing delays, not all delays are the same.

Seems pretty simple, no?

Edited by PrettyGood