Hi,  I'm a beginner golfer, hit roughly 104 at this point. Also worth mentioning is I'm a lefty woman which makes it very difficult to find clubs and next to impossible to test/demo them.   I bought new 2019 big bertha women's irons this winter and am looking to fill my wedge gap.  My PW is 43° and my AW is 48°.   I need a sand wedge and am looking at the CBX and CBX2.  Should I go with a 54 or 56°?  

On the other end of my clubs I have a gap between my 3h  18° and my 6i which is 26°.  Should I get a 4h at 21° or 5h at 24°?  
any info would be appreciated!
thanks,  Dawn
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dawn, welcome to golf.  My wife is a beginner / novice.  She isn’t handicapped by equipment paradigms such as what equipment is right for what type of player.  She just lines up and hits the ball with

Hi, welcome to the club! 🙂   More than anything, especially as a beginner, I would recommend not trying to overcomplicate your bag set up and only go with something you are comfortable with.

A 56* will fill all your short game needs for now ... like 60 yards and in   Your 18* and 21* aren't going to be that different in 'avg distance' unless your better than a 20 handicap

On the wedges, look at the bounce of each and that might help. My highest wedge is a 56/12 (sand wedge) and my AW is a 52/8. The lower bounce is good for fairway shots and the higher 56 is for sand and tall rough.

The 4h vs 5h is a matter of yardage. You might want both. I have a 19* 3h and a 23* 4h but also carry a 24* 4 iron, so it depends on shot and lie as to what gets used.

As with anything I would recommend hitting them first if possible and one might jump out at you.

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

Hi, welcome to the club! 🙂

More than anything, especially as a beginner, I would recommend not trying to overcomplicate your bag set up and only go with something you are comfortable with. If that means sticking with 11 clubs, there is nothing wrong with that! Get a rhythm, gain some confidence, and maybe you'll find you don't need more to enjoy the game (some play play half sets with 7 clubs on purpose). Or in the meantime maybe you'll learn exactly what you need from experience. 

With that said, for wedges, maybe try the 56 with a 10-12 bounce, get comfortable using it around the green with a variety of scenarios, and then down the road add a 52 for the gap between the 48 AW and the 56. 

On the long end, I'd consider adding only one club initially, and again one you are comfortable with from fairway and tee. That might mean a 5 hybrid or a 7/9 wood. Again, something that you can gain some confidence from as a beginner. From there, start incessantly checking the classifieds page here and expand well beyond 14 clubs into a whole garage full of options. 

Good luck!

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, PNW said:

Hi, welcome to the club! 🙂

More than anything, especially as a beginner, I would recommend not trying to overcomplicate your bag set up and only go with something you are comfortable with. If that means sticking with 11 clubs, there is nothing wrong with that! Get a rhythm, gain some confidence, and maybe you'll find you don't need more to enjoy the game (some play play half sets with 7 clubs on purpose). Or in the meantime maybe you'll learn exactly what you need from experience. 

On the long end, I'd consider adding only one club initially, and again one you are comfortable with from fairway and tee. That might mean a 5 hybrid or a 7/9 wood.

Dawn, welcome to golf.  My wife is a beginner / novice.  She isn’t handicapped by equipment paradigms such as what equipment is right for what type of player.  She just lines up and hits the ball with clubs with which she is comfortable and plays to her strengths and limitations.

Strongly recommend the advice highlighted above.

My wife carries 9 clubs at this point and would gain nothing from carrying more (12 deg driver, 24/28 hybrids, 7/8/9/PW/SW, putter).  We’re working on adding a fairway wood but aren’t quite there yet when keeping score.  After that, we may add another wedge simply for variety.  She is likely to never need more than 11 clubs and is still on the verge of breaking 100 on a course with awful forward tees and has a real chance at being a ‘bogey’ golfer by the end of the year.

Good luck!

Edited by Aviador Naval
  • Like 2

917D2 9.5 w/S+

TS2 16.5 and 21 w/AD-DI

ZX-U 3i @ 21 w/NS 950GH

ZX5 5i - 6i and ZX7 7i - PW w/Modus 105

SM7 52-12, SM7 54S, and SM6 58-12K @ 59

Ping MnBn MyDay

A 56* will fill all your short game needs for now ... like 60 yards and in

Your 18* and 21* aren't going to be that different in 'avg distance' unless your better than a 20 handicap

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5* ; Accura MV85x PINK 1 of 1

3 wood: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72X

Hybrid: PXG Gen1 19* (set 18*) Hzardus Handcrafted Black 100x (Not getting alot of use)

Irons: PXG Gen1 0311 4-7 iron; Aldila RIP Phenom Hybrid 100 Tour X (Lofts; 17.5*, 21*, 25*, 29*)

NIKE Vapor Pro Combo 6, 8, 9, PW; Aldila VS Proto 100x (Lofts; 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*)

Wedges: Scratch 53* (bent 51*); TT DG S300 , Callaway MD4 Raw 54*, 58*; TT DG S300

Custom Wedge 63* (made buddy made it); KBS Tour Stiff

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design MB #5; 35 inches; Super Stroke GP Tour

56 CBX2, 7 wood, some lessons and you’re cooking with gas. Agree with others - less is more. 

G400Max Xtorsion 60S | F9 3W Devo 7S | RS 7W Motore F3R | F9 3H Devo 8S

ZX5 6i | ZX7 7-PW Recoil 95R | cbx2 50 - 52 - 56 | Frontline 4.0

in the works: ZX4 4i, ZX5 5i, ZX7 AW, Glide 3 56 Eye2

Shot my best round of the year yesterday (1 under par, I hover between 8-12 handicap), with a 3 wood, 5 iron, 8 iron, Pitching wedge, sand wedge.  5 clubs total no putter, our greens had been recently sanded and not worthy of my gorgeous Toulon.  Went out to work on playing shots and just had a blast.  Made most of my short and mid range putts with my sand wedge and two bomb putts with my 3 wood. Fairways and greens all day. I have shot in the low 60s 20 years ago but honestly had more fun w this round.  Take the time to learn the many shots each of your clubs can perform and you will be rewarded greatly over time.  

You’re a beginner, but if you’re hovering around breaking 100 on average, you’re putting together some good holes each round. No disrespect to others who are saying to line up and hit the ball, but there’s nothing at all wrong with being thoughtful about your equipment.

I think a 56* would be perfect for you right now ... but you might soon find that you want two more wedges, potentially a 54* and a 60*, and if so you might want to factor that in and go with the 54* so you’re not buying two sand wedges.

I’d probably go 5H, because it’ll definitely go farther than your 6 iron and you might not see much difference distance-wise between your 3H and your 4H. You might consider looking at Ping G425 hybrids (or the previous model, G410, to save a few bucks). They have adjustable hosels and you could crank a 26 degree 5H down to 24.5* if you want, or the 22 degree 4H up to 23.5*.

We ought to form a support group of 11-club golfers. I'm one too. Although I have a whole closet full of extra clubs and sometimes I'll stick a 12th club in the bag for a round or two.

But seriously, you do need a sand wedge of some type. If you think you'd like to stick with just one wedge beyond the AW then definitely a 56 degree one. If you think you might eventually want a lob wedge as well then a 54 degree SW might make sense.

I would suggest the CBX Full Face 56 rather than the CBX2 56. I've used both and there's no disadvantage at all to the Full Face normally and from tricky lies in the rough the extra grooves out on the face sometimes help.

That said, I have an even better (and cheaper!) suggestion. Get a Mack Daddy CB instead of the Cleveland. I am a big fan of the Mack Daddy CB and their 54 or 56 models have the extra grooves like the Full Face does.

At the other end I don't think an 18 degree hybrid is an ideal club for anyone with pretty decent clubhead speed. Every hybrid in the 17-18-19 degree range I've ever hit flies much lower and is less forgiving than a fairway wood (5w) in that same loft range. I'm tempted to say you should find a Rogue or Mavrik or similar 7-wood to use as the club between driver and 6-iron. Not the "heavenwood" which has an awkwardly long shaft but the regular 7-wood.

A set with Driver, 7-wood, 6-iron through AW and then a 56 degree Mack Daddy CB ought to serve any beginner well. Or instead of just the one CB wedge you could go with a 54 and a 60 making the top of your bag lofts 43-48-54-60.