Jump to content

Spin/Apex Data…What do I do with it?


Recommended Posts

So I’ve been looking at the Mevo/SC300i/Rapsodo and understand they capture spin/apex data. My question is, what would I do with that data? I’d primarily be hitting into a net in my backyard. 
 

Gapping and swing speed training would be my initial primary objective, but I can get that done with the G80 or SC200+. 
 

So yea, what would I do with spin/apex data?

Driver: Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Riptide Regular
Wood: Adams Tight Lies 4w 16* Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Tight Lies 2 4h 22* Stiff
Irons: Sub70 699u 5i/6i, 699 7-PW
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* Tour Grind, Callaway MD2 58* Tour Grind
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Labs #10

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IF the data is accurate then I would use spin to gauge how much I'm a spinning a stock shot and compare to the general rule of thumb, aka, 7 iron should be apprx. 7k rpm of spin. If it is different (more or less) then it impacting your carry distance, ability to stop a ball on a green, how you are delivering the club (angle of attack) and it may get you to look at the ball you are playing for more or less spin.

 

Apex data for me would be again to look at stock shots and then how do I change the apex by placing the ball up or back in my stance (and what does that do to the spin and associated carry). Great for working on knock downs and playing in the wind. 

 

My 2 cents.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, RyKnocks said:

So I’ve been looking at the Mevo/SC300i/Rapsodo and understand they capture spin/apex data. My question is, what would I do with that data? I’d primarily be hitting into a net in my backyard. 
 

Gapping and swing speed training would be my initial primary objective, but I can get that done with the G80 or SC200+. 
 

So yea, what would I do with spin/apex data?

It's not really accurate to say those devices "capture" apex data. That is a computed (estimated) number. 

 

Of course strictly speaking, hitting into a net the "apex" is about five or six feet so an estimate is all you're going to get with any device in that setup.

  • Like 1

From August 18, 2021 I will be away from GolfWRX for a while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted a couple times,  Specifically for wedges a budget LM ($500) that gives spin and apex, has helped in gapping, shot type (high or low) and confidence of execution (raw practice).

 

For me I use this for shots 100y and in. 

 

The Apex/height, Allows me to figure out the effects of loft control (Opening face and closing face)

 

This allows gives me ideas of smash factor/ballspeed changes.

 

Finally for those touch shots, how much spin I am able to get.  Trying different techniques to maximize spin or bump and runs to reduce spin.

 

I generally take control group average it out and then put it into a trajectory optimizer.  This gives me a good feel of those touch shots to really gain confidence in execution.

 

 

Other than that. For the Raw Data its just base points to max out gapping.

 

100mph Driver Swing speed,  Max efficiency 1.5 = 150mph ball speed, 16* Launch angle or 102ft and 2200rpms of spin.... thats about as good as it gets for me.

 

If I am getting 12* launch or 17* launch,  I might have strike issues.

 

if I am getting 3300rpms of spin I might have launch issues.

 

if I am only getting 1.4 Smash efficiency I have strike issues....

 

 

  • Like 1

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70 - PW-8MBs, 7-4 CBs  PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S300
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Exactice808 said:

Posted a couple times,  Specifically for wedges a budget LM ($500) that gives spin and apex, has helped in gapping, shot type (high or low) and confidence of execution (raw practice).

 

For me I use this for shots 100y and in. 

 

The Apex/height, Allows me to figure out the effects of loft control (Opening face and closing face)

 

This allows gives me ideas of smash factor/ballspeed changes.

 

Finally for those touch shots, how much spin I am able to get.  Trying different techniques to maximize spin or bump and runs to reduce spin.

 

I generally take control group average it out and then put it into a trajectory optimizer.  This gives me a good feel of those touch shots to really gain confidence in execution.

 

 

Other than that. For the Raw Data its just base points to max out gapping.

 

100mph Driver Swing speed,  Max efficiency 1.5 = 150mph ball speed, 16* Launch angle or 102ft and 2200rpms of spin.... thats about as good as it gets for me.

 

If I am getting 12* launch or 17* launch,  I might have strike issues.

 

if I am getting 3300rpms of spin I might have launch issues.

 

if I am only getting 1.4 Smash efficiency I have strike issues....

 

 

 

What trajectory optimizer do you speak of? Thanks for all the info btw!

Driver: Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Riptide Regular
Wood: Adams Tight Lies 4w 16* Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Tight Lies 2 4h 22* Stiff
Irons: Sub70 699u 5i/6i, 699 7-PW
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* Tour Grind, Callaway MD2 58* Tour Grind
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Labs #10

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RyKnocks said:

 

What trajectory optimizer do you speak of? Thanks for all the info btw!

https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

 

  • Like 2

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70 - PW-8MBs, 7-4 CBs  PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S300
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 Fortinet Championship - Discussion and Links
      Please put and questions or comments here
       
       
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #7
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #8
       
       
      New Ping putter - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      New Bettinardi putters & Cover - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Ping Putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Cameron putter and new ball marker - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
      Sneds - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Peter Uihlein - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Charles Howell, III - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Scott Piercy - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Brandan Steele - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Mito Pereira - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Kevin Tway - WITB -2021 Fortinet Championship
      Joseph Bramlett - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
       
      • 19 replies
    • 2021 Tour Championship - Discussion and Comments
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Tour Championship
      LA Golf putter shafts - 2021 Tour Championship
       
       
       
      • 25 replies
    • 2021 BMW Championship - Discussion and Links
      Put any questions of comments here
       
       
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #7
       
       
      Cameron T-11 & T-11.5 putters at 2021 BMW Championship
      Mizuno Pro FliHi and 225 irons - 2021 BMW CHampionship
       
       
       
      • 18 replies
    • 2021 Ping i59 irons & Glide Forged wedges in hand comparison pics!!!
      In hand pics of the new 2021 Ping i59 irons and Glide Forged wedges...
       

       
      Ping i59 7 iron
       

       
       
      Ping i59 PW
       

       
      Ping i59 Comparison Photos

       

       

       

       
       
       
       
      PING Glide Forged Wedges

       
      Ping Glide Eye Toe Wedge
       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 97 replies
    • 2021 The Northern Trust - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #1
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #2
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #3
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #4
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #5
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #6
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #7
       
       
      New Cameron for JT - 2021 The Northern Trust
      New Cameron putters for Garrick Higgo - 2021 The Northern Trust
      New Odyssey putter covers - 2021 The Northern Trust
       
       
      • 6 replies

×
×
  • Create New...