2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Towhee Club, South of Nashville in Spring Hill TN

Morety

Wanted to take a minute to let everyone know that the former King's Creek Golf Course in Spring Hill, Tennessee has been rebranded as Towhee Club as of Saturday, May 1st.   We're really excited about this project and hope that the course becomes one of the best public golf destinations in Nashville and Middle Tennessee.

We know we have a lot of work ahead of us, but so far we have:

-Replaced all greens with TifEagle

-Reworked every bunker on the course, improving the drainage and putting in new sand

-New bridges across the creeks on the property

-New fleet of golf carts

-Torn down the previous "clubhouse" and have started construction on the new clubhouse and event pavilion, which are scheduled to open in January 2022

-New branding from Seth McWhorter, who has done work for Sweetens Cove and Pinehurst, among others

-New website www.towheeclub.com where you can book tee times online

-Hired Brian Gordon as GM, came from Hillwood CC in Nashville

-Hired Patrick Hensley as Superintendent, came from Richland CC in Nashville

We're really excited about the project and hope anyone looking for public golf in Nashville, Brentwood, or Franklin gives us a try.  The new clubhouse will have a restaurant and bar that is open for the entire community, not just golfers. 

If you have any questions, shoot me a DM!

Best,

Andrew

Edited by Morety

Titleist TS2 driver & 3 wood
PXG 0317 hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons
Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 60S wedges
Scotty Cameron 009 Circle T putter

• 3 weeks later...

I played there last week and was pleasantly surprised. Kings Creek being one of the few Williamson County public golf courses was always a disappointment. The layout being a Arnold Palmer design, I believe, Was always fun and nice but the conditions were never up to par. The promising clubhouse for 15 years obviously never made it. And if you played there in the last few years you could tell they were in bankruptcy and didn’t take care of the course anymore. I was surprised at the conditions and expect this to be a pretty decent place once the clubhouse is completed. The range already is a better value than going to Franklin Bridge where  you’ll wait 30 minutes

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

We're aiming for better than pretty decent but glad you made it out @Minarets!  Hope the conditioning was promising of the changes to come.  New clubhouse and event pavilion on still on pace for a January 2022 opening. 

• Like 1

Titleist TS2 driver & 3 wood
PXG 0317 hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons
Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 60S wedges
Scotty Cameron 009 Circle T putter

• 2 weeks later...

Is Towhee walkable?  I live in Columbia and usually play Henry Horton.  I played Towhee a few times when we first moved to the area a few years ago when it was Kings Creek.  I enjoyed the course from what I remember.  The reason I play Henry Horton is because on weekends I can walk 18 for $30 even in prime season.  I checked the rates for Towhee and it's $59.  Is that with cart/range balls?  Also Towhee does not have any weekend membership rates.  I would consider Towhee if it's walkable with an 18-hole rate comparable to HH.  

It’s is very walkable.  

• 1 month later...

Played there today. It was Kings Creek the last time I played the course and back then the conditions were on the verge of unplayable. Towhee has improved this, but it is still a work in progress. I seem to remember hearing that they changed some of the layout, but the old one is still really evident. It's a par 70 course, with 6 par 3's, one at 215+ from what would be the white/blue tee. Others were 180, 185, 195, 135, and 140. Not my cup of tea. 

They had just aerated and top dressed but did not say anything before, which took the energy out of trying to putt well. Bunkers were great as mentioned above, fairways were ok, some better than others. Rough was almost nonexistent, it had all been mowed. And speaking of mowing, they seemed to be active on almost every hole which caused us to wait or just tee off anyway. I was not playing well and I let it get to me more than usual but it was a bummer to hear it or see it on many of the holes (we were a mid day group).

In all, it's probably the best public course in the immediate area which really does not say much - the others are pretty disappointing. I'll probably wait until next spring to play it again, this will let them get the new clubhouse open and settle in.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Payed there last Friday and enjoyed it. It’s waaaaaaaay better than it has been.  Greens were nice on Friday.  
they have 4 Finn Scooters now which is cool.  

16 hours ago, Minarets said:

Payed there last Friday and enjoyed it. It’s waaaaaaaay better than it has been.  Greens were nice on Friday.  
they have 4 Finn Scooters now which is cool.  

Yeah, the Finn scooters look like a blast! 

• Like 1

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

• 3 months later...

Played here several weeks ago and really enjoyed the course. For me, I enjoyed the fairly wide open layout because angles mattered out here. The greens, especially on the back, can get rather slopey so it's not just a blast it down the fairway strategy out here. A lot of construction going on with the clubhouse(s) and everything looks to be headed in the right direction. Greens rolled extremely well. I will probably be back a few times a year. I noticed on google earth they took out a number of bunkers which I am always a fan of. I find these "over bunkered" courses remind me of the 90s boom of just put 4+ bunkers on every hole and, voila, you have a "strategic" golf course nonsense. 

Standout holes (for me):

- Hole 9 I'm a sucker for short 4s and this hole was great. Everyone could about drive this green and we all walked away with bogeys but thought that was a ringing endorsement actually.

- Hole 12 the first fairly tight driving hole on the property that asks a very specific question. It caught us all by surprise but is a rather handsome hole. 

- Hole 14 a bit of an uncomfortable tee shot that looks wider than it is into a benign looking green with some subtle break. This hole made you stop and think several times on the tee shot which I always enjoy.  

Gripes:

- Hole 6 - a rather brutal par 3 that doesn't seem like the green is built to receive a shot from 200+ with a very severe drop off left and bunkers right and trees long. Everyone in our group thought  this hole really sucked. Would make a lot more sense as a 170 or less par 3 or if it could be lengthened into a short 4. 

- Hole 18 - the green might be a tad severe. We had the front pin position which you could not be long of or you were boned (I birdied it 🙂 but still think there aren't many pinnable positions on that green that would be "fair")

- I am all for funky layouts but the number of par 3s is a bit excessive. If you could flip one of those into to a 4 or, somehow, a par 5, that would be excellent. 

- The amount of times I almost got hit by cross traffic from tee balls was crazy. I was almost hit 3 times and I was in my own fairway each time. Not really the golf course's fault but there were some TERRIBLE golfers out there on the day.  

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

18 killed me last time out.  Pin was in very front left (looking in to the green).  My approach was in the middle of the green on the high side of the slope.  From the fairway, I was happy with the shot.   Shot came right of the pin ( I was left side of fairway on my tee shot). I hit a nice draw that I thought  i left too far right headed towards the large trap.  I drew it in over the trap right in middle of the green.  Middle of the green is never a bad shot, right??  I had no putt down the slope to front of green.  My putt had as much effort behind the stroke as I put in my 8th grade math class and the ball went racing past the hole.  Had a 8’ comeback which I of course lipped out.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Is it me or have their rates increased to almost being prohibitive. I get it, public courses, good public courses south of Nashville are slim pickings, but at 53 -79 depending on day seems a bit stiff. Maybe I am feeling the effects of the entire metro area cost of living craziness. I dunno, maybe it's worth if it's not so packed that 5+hr rounds are the norm. 

Editing to add that I am just noticing that Franklin Bridge has gone the high end route with pricing as well. I know they have done some improvements but wowzers! I've been spoiled out at Greystone for far too long. 

Edited by Mr. Grumpy
added to it..
  • Like 2

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Franklin Bridge, Hermitage and Towhee have all had noticeable increases. I remember when Gaylord was the most expensive game in town and now they are actually starting to trend towards reasonable as rates continue to rise up to and beyond their level ($90 to play on weekends). Towhee seems to be pricing in their clubhouse upgrades and future potential, currently. For the life of me I don't understand these gaudy clubhouses but obviously someone cares about the.

I liked the course but it is kind of a funky layout and not particularly convenient. President's Reserve is now basically $100 to play on the weekend and Generals is $90 (though if you play there enough I guess every fifth round is free so you could price that in? Still expensive). Also Towhee needs to detonate the par 3 6th hole because that green is, in my opinion, not designed to receive a shot from 190+ yards. If they want my advice, it should be a short 4 (tipping out at like 320 yds) which it looks like, on google earth, they have the room to do. Since Towhee is so far out, I think they should be in the $50 range even on the weekends. At $80, I would just keep driving and go to Henry Horton. 

17 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

maybe it's worth if it's not so packed that 5+hr rounds are the norm. 

If you have played Franklin Bridge in recent months it is still packed because so many people are in their "river club" which discounts rates a tad. Rounds are easily 4.5 hours but as you noted there are not many options in Williamson County if you don't belong to a club. I live in central nashville and have kids so my only options are Harpeth Hills and McCabe which I have come to appreciate. 

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

5 hours ago, blackbdmillsaps said:

Franklin Bridge, Hermitage and Towhee have all had noticeable increases. I remember when Gaylord was the most expensive game in town and now they are actually starting to trend towards reasonable as rates continue to rise up to and beyond their level ($90 to play on weekends). Towhee seems to be pricing in their clubhouse upgrades and future potential, currently. For the life of me I don't understand these gaudy clubhouses but obviously someone cares about the.

I liked the course but it is kind of a funky layout and not particularly convenient. President's Reserve is now basically $100 to play on the weekend and Generals is $90 (though if you play there enough I guess every fifth round is free so you could price that in? Still expensive). Also Towhee needs to detonate the par 3 6th hole because that green is, in my opinion, not designed to receive a shot from 190+ yards. If they want my advice, it should be a short 4 (tipping out at like 320 yds) which it looks like, on google earth, they have the room to do. Since Towhee is so far out, I think they should be in the $50 range even on the weekends. At $80, I would just keep driving and go to Henry Horton. 

If you have played Franklin Bridge in recent months it is still packed because so many people are in their "river club" which discounts rates a tad. Rounds are easily 4.5 hours but as you noted there are not many options in Williamson County if you don't belong to a club. I live in central nashville and have kids so my only options are Harpeth Hills and McCabe which I have come to appreciate. 

Agree on all.. FYI for the older folks, myself included (just barely), Franklin Bridge sets senior fees at 57+ which is  a great discount. River club is an ok deal if not a senior.. The course is getting better, and they have a new practice area in the works. That said, I play Greystone a lot, I like the people there (many friends) but it's about a 50 min drive from Franklin. 

Try Two Rivers and though not ideal but better than McCabe, is 12 Stones. But that is farther out. Shelby is underrated and under utilized. I'd also put this above McCabe.. 

• Like 1

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Same boat here.  I play Greystone whenever I can but I live in Arrington so yeah, about an hour drive.  Love playing Horton.   Play Indian Hills a bunch. Playing Towhee tomorrow as a matter of fact.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

Try Two Rivers and though not ideal but better than McCabe, is 12 Stones. But that is farther out. Shelby is underrated and under utilized. I'd also put this above McCabe..

I want to talk about this! I have heard they are making improvements at 12 Stones and I wonder if I judge them too harshly for the following: (1) a few claustrophobically tight tee shots (thinking #2, 4, and 16) and (2) Number 14 which is absolute disgrace of a golf hole. 

I think Two Rivers is great just not super convenient. It is an interesting blend of all the other munis, I feel like. 

Shelby is definitely under utilized but curious as to how it might be underrated? Conditions are pretty poor out there (in comparison to other munis), it is a rather difficult walk despite all the holes being well connected, holes 4 and 5 are basically the same hole back to back mirror images of themselves. Hole 6 - good, bad indifferent tee shots all end up in the same place (an absurd valley). Hole 7 is an old school long par 3 that I don't think I have ever seen anyone par from the back tees. Hole 8 presents a kind of interesting strategic decision. Hole 9 sucks. The par 3 11th is a beautifully situated greensite. Hole 12 is fine. And then from there the walk really ramps up. I don't know. I just feel like Shelby has potential but to say it is better than McCabe (considering how bad the greens at Shelby are, and I am not talking about the winter greens) is wild to me. Maybe I have played McCabe too much and I don't see the flaws anymore but McCabe is a simple straight forward muni that has above average greens for a course that gets the amount of traffic it does. 

Harpeth Hills is in a league of its own, to me, aside from how bad their pro shop management can be. Ted Rhodes and Two Rivers are one tier below but good solid tracks for the money. McCabe is then the next tier down and then I think Shelby is a tier below that.  

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

5 minutes ago, blackbdmillsaps said:

I want to talk about this! I have heard they are making improvements at 12 Stones and I wonder if I judge them too harshly for the following: (1) a few claustrophobically tight tee shots (thinking #2, 4, and 16) and (2) Number 14 which is absolute disgrace of a golf hole. 

I think Two Rivers is great just not super convenient. It is an interesting blend of all the other munis, I feel like. 

Shelby is definitely under utilized but curious as to how it might be underrated? Conditions are pretty poor out there (in comparison to other munis), it is a rather difficult walk despite all the holes being well connected, holes 4 and 5 are basically the same hole back to back mirror images of themselves. Hole 6 - good, bad indifferent tee shots all end up in the same place (an absurd valley). Hole 7 is an old school long par 3 that I don't think I have ever seen anyone par from the back tees. Hole 8 presents a kind of interesting strategic decision. Hole 9 sucks. The par 3 11th is a beautifully situated greensite. Hole 12 is fine. And then from there the walk really ramps up. I don't know. I just feel like Shelby has potential but to say it is better than McCabe (considering how bad the greens at Shelby are, and I am not talking about the winter greens) is wild to me. Maybe I have played McCabe too much and I don't see the flaws anymore but McCabe is a simple straight forward muni that has above average greens for a course that gets the amount of traffic it does. 

Harpeth Hills is in a league of its own, to me, aside from how bad their pro shop management can be. Ted Rhodes and Two Rivers are one tier below but good solid tracks for the money. McCabe is then the next tier down and then I think Shelby is a tier below that.  

All metro-ish public offerings fall short of perfect. Two rivers has made some good improvements, but I never really go there because I live on the south side of town. 12 Stones is a course that hit rock bottom but the new owners are committed to getting it back in shape,, though slowly. Yes it like others has a few head scratches. But again, I only really go when I take my team out there for a match. 

Shelby is just one of those hit or miss courses, but it can be fun to play. Sometimes it's in fantastic shape, but not always. However, I'd choose it over McCabe any day of the week because of traffic. The new greens are McCabe's best feature. 

Ted Rhodes is great when in-between rain and drought. But you are right, the best of the bunch is Harpeth Hills. 

I'll give Towhee another shot for sure. 

Note- If any of you all have deep pockets and want majority ownership of a 9 hole course. Cheekwood down in Franklin is for sale - again. Hahaha

• Like 1

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

$70 today at Towhee.  I assume weekend rate. 

Towhee also having a Taylormade fitting event on Friday April 8th from 11 am - 4 pm for those that don't get the emails.

• Like 1

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, kobe123 said:

Nashville Golf in general is terrible. Too many private courses charging outrageous rates. The best course for the money is Greystone, but it is a haul depending on where you live. 

Not getting defensive but when you say Nashville golf is terrible what are you comparing it to? For me, I think we have a nice collection of municipal golf courses relative to other SOUTHERN cities. The pace of play sucks and the fact that the munis do not have an online booking system REALLY SUCKS but as far as public options I feel like the following are all acceptable and within 30 minutes of central nashville (Greystone is too far as is Henry Horton, Legacy and Montgomery Bell but they are also good options):

Harpeth Hills

Ted Rhodes

Two Rivers

Hermitage (both)

Towhee

Franklin Bridge

Nashboro

Gaylord (I personally hate their staff but the course is fine)

Based on the list above, I would think we beat Memphis, Knoxville, Atlanta (by a mile), Lexington, Louisville, etc. Birmingham probably has us beat but they seem to have a very good golf scene. 

Won't argue with you on prices of private clubs but that is a supply and demand thing right now. Most of the higher end clubs are now $100k initiation or more. 

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Harpeth is only municipal worth playing.

Hermitage is always slammed and pretty pricey. $100 (Practice area is not good imo)

Gaylord is always slammed and pretty pricey. $85 (Best course for the money as well as practice area. That's where I would join if I chose)

It's not worth 5 hour rounds and hurry up and waiting.

Not a fan of the other spots. 

I just wish there was a good place to practice. The place I practice the most is the Little Course. Seems like no one around Nashville has a range membership which is very disappointing.

Birmingham blows Nashville out of the water with Ross Bridge and the other RTJs.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, kobe123 said:

Birmingham blows Nashville out of the water with Ross Bridge and the other RTJs

I made that point above. What other Southern Cities are far and away better than Nashville to say that "Nashville golf is terrible?" I have lived in multiple other cities in the south and I would definitively say "Atlanta golf is terrible." 

I think the main thing that puts Gaylord in a very positive light is conditioning. Which makes sense since it is a resort course that has Gaylord backing etc. The course itself has maybe 3 distinctive holes (#4, #5, maybe #14?), a TON of fake mounding that they have manufactured, not sure what the church pew bunkers they spent forever installing really changed about #16 and, of course, fountains in the ponds. The ONLY thing Gaylord is missing is a waterfall. It is well conditioned, soulless resort golf. If that is what you are into then...yes...Nashville golf sucks. 

I won't try to change your mind on Ted Rhodes and Two Rivers but if you haven't lived in Nashville a long time, you wouldn't believe how much better the greens are now. The fact that those greens are as good as they are now, it is a steal at $35. Hell, I play McCabe a decent amount because the greens are much improved. If you are a scratch or plus handicap then, yeah, you aren't probably going to dig those courses. As a mid single handicap, Harpeth, Two Rivers and Ted Rhodes can typically give me all I can handle most days. Just my two cents. 

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I've been here since 2015. I mean, I'm into nice courses with character, such as Legends, GCOT, Gaylord, Ross Bridge, etc.... who isn't? What I'm not into is a course that nearly every par 4 is reachable and is straight ahead.

McCabe isn't over 6200 yards, I do not find a pitch and putt that fun. I'd rather just go play a par 3 course. When you go to McCabe you better bring your helmet, it's basically a firing range. I want something with character and a challenge.

What makes a course soulless? Something with character and things to look at? If that's the case, stay at McCabe.

Edited by kobe123
  • Like 2

I’m born and raised in Nashville. Grew up in Brentwood and now live in Arrington.   So all my years on the south side of town.  I am definitely in the Nashville golf sucks camp compared to other southern cities.  I do think Atlanta golf is quite good even tho I saw it mentioned it sticks.  Yes, lots of private courses but with the very affordable  players cards you can buy there you get access to private course for relatively cheap.  Plus with their golf boom in early 2000’s so many of their private course are WAY WAY more affordable than Nashville area private courses.  

I mean, I play golf with customers a lot around town and outside of Hermitage, Gaylord (say what you will about soulless, it’s always in great shape), Henry Horton (I contend are the best greens yearly), Towhee (they have Finn scooters) and Greystone (prolly my favorite track) in the area.  The rest are all pass-worthy.  I mean, I’ll play when and wherever, but lots better options other places, imo. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Minarets said:

I’m born and raised in Nashville. Grew up in Brentwood and now live in Arrington.   So all my years on the south side of town.  I am definitely in the Nashville golf sucks camp compared to other southern cities.  I do think Atlanta golf is quite good even tho I saw it mentioned it sticks.  Yes, lots of private courses but with the very affordable  players cards you can buy there you get access to private course for relatively cheap.  Plus with their golf boom in early 2000’s so many of their private course are WAY WAY more affordable than Nashville area private courses.  

I mean, I play golf with customers a lot around town and outside of Hermitage, Gaylord (say what you will about soulless, it’s always in great shape), Henry Horton (I contend are the best greens yearly), Towhee (they have Finn scooters) and Greystone (prolly my favorite track) in the area.  The rest are all pass-worthy.  I mean, I’ll play when and wherever, but lots better options other places, imo. 

I agree with this 100%. I know most of the rates for the private courses and they are absurd with huge wait times and even some of the private courses are not even as nice as Hermitage/Gaylord.

• Like 1