Jump to content

Recommended Posts

How much extension can you get away with in an iron set?

 

have a buddy almost 6-8

 

is 1” too much 

 

thanks

GBB Ventus Black 6
F9 Tour 3w-Smoke 70
F9 Tour 5w-Smoke 70
F9 21* hybrid - ATMOS black 

F9 24* hybrid Hzrdus smoke 
Mavrik Pro 6-G Elevate 105
MD5 52-56
Toulon Portland Garage 
TM TP5X 
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Depends on the quality of the extension and the installation job, and how fast the swing speed and aggressive the transition.   Assuming a good quality extension and a proper installation, 

On something like this I tend to almost always agree with Stuart.   Personally, I will NOT extend anything longer than an inch.  I know my swing is unique and I have a stupid violent transit

I would buy extensions from Rockbottom golf. The part that goes in the butt of the shaft is much longer than what you get from GW, that being said no more thank 1.5 inches. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Warrick said:

How much extension can you get away with in an iron set?

 

have a buddy almost 6-8

 

is 1” too much 

 

thanks

 

Depends on the quality of the extension and the installation job, and how fast the swing speed and aggressive the transition.

 

Assuming a good quality extension and a proper installation,  1" will be no problem at all.  The vast majority of ams can get away with 2".    Slower swingers can get away with a bit more.   Reg flex => 2.5",  ladies/senior flex => 3".

 

 

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On something like this I tend to almost always agree with Stuart.

 

Personally, I will NOT extend anything longer than an inch.  I know my swing is unique and I have a stupid violent transition, but I tried a 2 inch extension in steel and had some issues.  I prepped everything and I am very OCD about my clubs, I think my transition is the issue and since I had an issue I won't do it for anyone either.  Seeing as how club building is something I do for friends and I don't have a ton of slower swingers beating down my doors, if I had, then maybe I would be OK with 2 or longer extensions in steel for them.

 

Now with graphite I have extended longer and had zero problems.  I was experimenting with Soft stepping an old Recoil 110 F5 that was in a lob wedge and wanted to see how soft stepping three times played.  I installed it in a 7 iron and put in a 1.5 inch extension and had no issues.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Driver - Epic Max LS
  • 4 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17*
  • Irons - Srixon ZX4 4 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 5 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 (6-PW) on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50* mid Zipcore, Callaway MD5 54*, Cleveland Zipcore 60* Mid all on Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66
  • Ball - TP5 or Srixon Z Star 
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, driveandputtmachine said:

On something like this I tend to almost always agree with Stuart.

 

Personally, I will NOT extend anything longer than an inch.  I know my swing is unique and I have a stupid violent transition, but I tried a 2 inch extension in steel and had some issues.  I prepped everything and I am very OCD about my clubs, I think my transition is the issue and since I had an issue I won't do it for anyone either.  Seeing as how club building is something I do for friends and I don't have a ton of slower swingers beating down my doors, if I had, then maybe I would be OK with 2 or longer extensions in steel for them.

 

Now with graphite I have extended longer and had zero problems.  I was experimenting with Soft stepping an old Recoil 110 F5 that was in a lob wedge and wanted to see how soft stepping three times played.  I installed it in a 7 iron and put in a 1.5 inch extension and had no issues.

 

I wonder how much of that difference you're seeing is the shaft and how much is the extension.    I'm a bit of a outlier in that I don't like steel extensions.  Even when extending steel shafts, I'll use graphite extensions.   I believe how well the extension fits in the shaft is the key to the performance of the shaft and I've always felt I can get a much better fit (easier to tailor the fit) with the graphite extensions.   Start a bit big and sand down to the perfect fit.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, TallGuy90 said:

I would buy extensions from Rockbottom golf. The part that goes in the butt of the shaft is much longer than what you get from GW, that being said no more thank 1.5 inches. 

Looking at the Rockbottom golf website the extensions for steel shafts are the same ones from Golfworks.  Unless I'm missing something.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Golf Works also has one with extended insertion depth. They call it their counterbalanaced extension. Has insertion depth of 3" versus 1-5/8" of their standard one. Cheaper than rock bottom as well.

 

https://www.golfworks.com/counterbalanced-steel-shaft-extensions/p/bb9087/

 

I'm also 6'8", and am having Golf Works build me a set of custom DBM's. The 7i will be 1-1/2" over standard and require a shaft extension of about 3/8" in order to be able to tip trim to X-stiff flex that I need. The rest of the set will be in 1/4" progression both ways. So the long irons won't need extensions, but the 8-wedges will. The longest will be the 9i with a 1-1/8" extension. I'm leaving the decision on which extension to use up to Golf Works.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually insert an extension as much as I extend, be it steel or graphite

So a 1" extension has a 1" insertion depth

A 1/2" extension has a 1/2" insertion depth.

My reasoning is that there is such little force exerted at the very butt end of a shaft.

 

While I'm temporarily experimenting with say over-long driver shaft length, I will readily insert a 1" extension ( very tight fit ) and not even bother with epoxy.

 

WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
Titleist TSi2 11* with Evenflow White 65

Titleist TSi2 18* hybrid with Evenflow White 90
Titleist TS2 23* hybrid with Accra FX300H
Srixon ZX7 / ZX5 5-GW with Steelfiber i110cw
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* Full with Steelfiber i110cw
Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Flatso 3.0
Set #2: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i95cw
Set #3: MP-4 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Golf Works also has one with extended insertion depth. They call it their counterbalanaced extension. Has insertion depth of 3" versus 1-5/8" of their standard one. Cheaper than rock bottom as well.

 

https://www.golfworks.com/counterbalanced-steel-shaft-extensions/p/bb9087/

 

I'm also 6'8", and am having Golf Works build me a set of custom DBM's. The 7i will be 1-1/2" over standard and require a shaft extension of about 3/8" in order to be able to tip trim to X-stiff flex that I need. The rest of the set will be in 1/4" progression both ways. So the long irons won't need extensions, but the 8-wedges will. The longest will be the 9i with a 1-1/8" extension. I'm leaving the decision on which extension to use up to Golf Works.

Nice their currently building my STi2. 

Edited by TallGuy90
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, TallGuy90 said:

Nice their currently building my STi2. 

Sweet!! I'm anxious to give the DBM's a try, especially at the proper length for myself. I've only ever swung standard clubs. They are building me a test 7i so I can ensure the shaft works out before I order an entire set. Been waiting on the backordered shaft since mid-March though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Sweet!! I'm anxious to give the DBM's a try, especially at the proper length for myself. I've only ever swung standard clubs. They are building me a test 7i so I can ensure the shaft works out before I order an entire set. Been waiting on the backordered shaft since mid-March though.

Which one? I love the products of Maltby but I am not fond of Golfworks CS. I previously ordered a 7iron on The PTM and really loved it. Went to order the rest of the set and Discounted. They had to know two weeks ago when I said what I was doing. I’m 6 5 so I am sure it will make a world of difference. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TallGuy90 said:

Which one? I love the products of Maltby but I am not fond of Golfworks CS. I previously ordered a 7iron on The PTM and really loved it. Went to order the rest of the set and Discounted. They had to know two weeks ago when I said what I was doing. I’m 6 5 so I am sure it will make a world of difference. 

FST Pro 125. Was fitted into DG 120 X100. Looking for something more economical since I'll be using it to build 11 or so clubs. 

 

Yeah, that's not cool. I'd be rather upset about that as well.

 

How much over standard are you going? I felt really comfortable at 1.5" over in the 7i. With a 66g grip and 120g shaft, it was definitely a heavier club. But I loved that as well. Really looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BigTerp1524 said:

FST Pro 125. Was fitted into DG 120 X100. Looking for something more economical since I'll be using it to build 11 or so clubs. 

 

Yeah, that's not cool. I'd be rather upset about that as well.

 

How much over standard are you going? I felt really comfortable at 1.5" over in the 7i. With a 66g grip and 120g shaft, it was definitely a heavier club. But I loved that as well. Really looking forward to getting my hands on it.


Ha I really wanted the FST 115. They half the price of the score LT but they won’t let me sub them out. 
 

I am going .75 honestly I only really need it on 7-P. 

Edited by TallGuy90
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • Ping i59 irons - 2021 Wells Fargo Championship
      Ping i59 irons - 2021 Wells Fargo Championship
        • Like
      • 155 replies
    • 2021 Wells Fargo - Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       

       
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #1
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #2
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #3
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #4
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #5
       
      2021 Wells Fargo - Wednesday #1
      2021 Wells Fargo - Wednesday #2
       
       

       
       
       

       
      Bettinardi putters & covers - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Ping i59 irons - 2021 Wells Fargo Championship
      New Ping Glide Forged Pro wedge - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Behind the scenes on the PXG truck - 2021 Wells Fargo
      PXG Gen 4 0311 T & 0311 ST irons - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Jason Day testing a SIK putter with LA Golf shaft - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Scotty Cameron T2 putter - 2021 Wells Fargo
      KH Lee's Odyssey putter - - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Patrick Cantlay's Cameron T-5 - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Rory has the TM "Rors" protos in the bag - 2021 Wells Fargo
       
       
      • 17 replies
    • 2021 Valspar Championship - discussion and links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #7
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #8
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #9
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #10
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #11
       
       
       
       
       
       
       

       
      Bettinardi putters - 2021 Valspar Championship
      Axis 1 Proto - 2021 Valspar Championship
      Jimmy Walker "testing" a LA Golf proto putter - 2021 Valspar Championship
      Scotty Cameron putter - 2021 Valspar Championship
       
      • 17 replies
    • Post in Ping 2021 Irons
      Victor has i59 in the bag this week!
        • Thanks
        • Like
    • 2021 RBC Heritage - discussions and links
      Please post any questions and comments here.
       
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #1
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #2
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #3
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #4
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #5
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #6
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #7
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #8
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #9
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #10
       

       
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #1
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #2
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #3
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #4
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #5
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #6
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #7
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #8
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #9
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #10
       
       

       
      Custom Cameron putters - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Bettinardi putter - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Robert Streb's custom stamped Vokey wedge - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Ben An's custom stamped Vokey - 2021 RBC Heritage
      • 17 replies

×
×
  • Create New...