Playing Whistling Straits this weekend...

Shipwreck

Coming in from Tucson AZ for the weekend and want to get some info on the Sheboygan area. Any places I should check out? Restaurants that are dynamite? Anyone in the area want to get together for a drink and some food some day?

Bag as of June 2021 Driver - Mizuno STZ w/ Oban Kiyoshi HB 04 Flex 3w - Mizuno STZ w/ Fuji Speeder 757 5w - Mizuno STZ w/ Motore X F3 7S - Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-6 & MP-20 MB 7-P w/ DG S300 AMT White Wedges Cleveland RTX ZipCore w/ TI S300 Spinner 50/54/58 Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Two really good pizza places in town...il Ritrovo is authentic Neopolitian pizza and it is fantastic.  Also Fay's Pizza is just a normal pizza joint, but the pizza is really good (plus there is a signed tshirt, signed by Bubba Watson and Ricky Fowler).  Also, there is a cool little pub upstairs at Whistling Straits.  Good food there too.

• Like 2

If you like Greek food Greece E Spoon is my favorite restaurant in the area.  The gyros and greek fries are amazing but they're only open for lunch.  Harry's pizza is second only to il Ritrovo as mentioned and both are great.  Trattorio Stefano (same owners as il Ritrovo) has great Italian food.  Blackwolf and Whistling both have good fish fries and good food overall.  BoMallies is underrated and has an interesting menu.  If you can get some sugar cookies from Johnston's bakery you'll thank me later, I don't even really like sugar cookies but those things are incredible.  All the Kohler restaurants are high quality, but the cheese curds at the Horse and Plow are the single greatest thing you can find at any of them.

• Like 1

While I am from Wisconsin, I am not from the Sheboygan area so I can't really help you on the food and beverage front.  It would appear the forecast has the wind coming from the east.  I was a long time resident of the Lake Michigan shore line.  Just a word to the wise.  The wind will be crossing miles of 35* degree water before it gets to you, so while the ambient temp may be mid 50's. it will feel COLD.  Bring an extra layer.  And play well!  I will be in your Tucson neighborhoods putting on sun screen!

Phred

• Like 1

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

I grew up in the Sheboygan area and lived there until about ten years ago.  So, I'm not totally up to speed with what the hot spots are these days, but here are a few of my go-to's when I head back.

Best burger, bar none, Charcoal Inn.  Get a steak sandwich.

Best pizza or pasta, Il Ritrovo (I order a pizza as an app and order a pasta as my main....Orecchiette della Nonna if it's on the ever-changing menu during your visit).

Someone mentioned Tratoria Stefano, also great, a little more upscale...same owner as Il Ritrovo.  That same owner also owns Duke of Devon, a British Pub.  His restaurants are very authentic in their nature...at least to a midwesterner like myself.  

Haven't been there in awhile, but The Depot in Plymouth used to be a nice family restaurant that was heavy on the German food.  I'm not sure if they still do it, but they used to do all-you-can eat fish frys with choice of perch, blue gill, or walleye I believe.  

I prefer Blackwolf Run's food over Whistling Straits.  Since you're playing Whistling, it might be fun to cruise over to Blackwolf just to see the joint.  Their dining area overlooks 18 green.

There are a ton of great, local food joints in the area.  You can hardly go wrong with any of them.

Road America is nearby.  They host Indycar, NASCAR, and many other touring events throughout the year.  It doesn't look like anything is on the schedule for the weekend, though.

If you want a fun nine holes to play to eat up a morning or afternoon, head over to the Glacier nine at Quit Qui Oc in Elkhart Lake.  A little further north, Autumn Ridge is also a fun option.  Both are inexpensive and not talked about as often.

I say this kind of as a joke (living an hour away from Mexico) but how’s the Mexican food out in Sheboygan 😂

Bag as of June 2021 Driver - Mizuno STZ w/ Oban Kiyoshi HB 04 Flex 3w - Mizuno STZ w/ Fuji Speeder 757 5w - Mizuno STZ w/ Motore X F3 7S - Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-6 & MP-20 MB 7-P w/ DG S300 AMT White Wedges Cleveland RTX ZipCore w/ TI S300 Spinner 50/54/58 Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

On 5/5/2021 at 6:14 PM, ode said:

Speaking of Fays....played Broadlands followed by Lac La Belle... 

Apologies for going off topic but what are your thoughts on Lac La Belle after the extensive remodel? A few of us are heading to Sand Valley in a week and a half and we're looking for a course to play on the way back to the Chicago area. LLB looks like an interesting option. 

19 minutes ago, PuttCurseRepeat said:

Apologies for going off topic but what are your thoughts on Lac La Belle after the extensive remodel? A few of us are heading to Sand Valley in a week and a half and we're looking for a course to play on the way back to the Chicago area. LLB looks like an interesting option. 

I'll post some thoughts over on the Wisco thread later on today!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

I say this kind of as a joke (living an hour away from Mexico) but how’s the Mexican food out in Sheboygan 😂

When I lived in Sheboygan there were some legit good spots.  There is a heavy Mexican presence there and it's not your run-of-the-mill crap like they serve at "Mexican" restaurants where I live now.  The downside is, those Mexican restaurants are a bit like whack-a-mole in Sheboygan.  All of my favorites have been shut down or closed despite being busy places, so I'm [hopefully wrongly] assuming there were food safety issues.  Despite that, I'd go back to any one of them again in an instant.  I have no idea what good spots are there nowadays.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2021 at 8:26 AM, PuttCurseRepeat said:

I highly recommend Lac La Belle. The remodel is very nicely done and they treat you well. Read my other thread on my Erin Hills trip for some more details. Definitely worth it.