Wells Fargo Championship 2021

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rory definitely looks after himself! Anything sub 50 resting bpm is very respectable indeed.   Interestingly the only time my resting bpm has ever been below 50 was while watching J.B Holmes

I feel the same way about Augusta National.  So thankful I'm not a member there.  Declining membership was the right decision for me.       😀

Rory has a hall of fame career and he’s 32… I get that wrx is hyperbolic but wow  

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, MMB1500 said:

Hunch: McIlroy turns in his typical McSunday performance tomorrow and chokes this away. 

Man, Rory can smoke a golf ball.

I hope he turns a corner soon. Be great to see him kill everybody again. Been wayyyy to long since he had his complete game together. 

Wait!!!

🤣

He just hooked that like 60 yards right after my post!

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Haha 2
8 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

I hope he turns a corner soon. Be great to see him kill everybody again. Been wayyyy to long since he had his complete game together. 

Wait!!!

🤣

Routine birdie!

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Wait!!!

🤣

Golf is a lot better when he's winning, that's for sure. 

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Christosterone said:

Rory has a hall of fame career and he’s 32…

I get that wrx is hyperbolic but wow

068A6E84-6240-424D-BF79-C300C9086BA5.jpeg

That table doesn't show how many tournaments he's blown after being in (or tied for) the lead going into Sunday. I can think of two Masters tournaments for starters. 

He's won a lot for sure, but for someone with his talent, he should have won a lot more IMO. For example he's still two majors short of Faldo's European record (6) whereas once he seemed odds-on to easily surpass it. Personally, I don't believe he'll ever win another major, mainly due to his mental fragility and exceedingly average stats from 175 in.

Early in his career he was a fearless killer, but those days are long gone, sadly. Now he just seems increasingly lost and incapable of getting out of his own way. That said, I am hopeful Pete Cowan can help him start to turn things around. 

Edited by MMB1500
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, MMB1500 said:

That table doesn't show how many tournaments he's blown after being in (or tied for) the lead going into Sunday. I can think of two Masters tournaments for starters. 

He's won a lot for sure, but for someone with his talent, he should have won a lot more IMO. For example he's still two majors short of Faldo's European record (6) whereas once he seemed odds-on to easily surpass it. Personally, I don't believe he'll ever win another major, mainly due to his mental fragility and exceedingly average stats from 175 in.

Early in his career he was a fearless killer, but those days are long gone, sadly. Now he just seems increasingly lost and incapable of getting out of his own way. That said, I am hopeful Pete Cowan can help him start to turn things around. 

I like u as a poster…I do

research rorys year in 2019

it was stunning…absolutely stunning

-chris

• Like 4

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

2 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Wait!!!

🤣

Yep. Saw a couple of 310 plus carries off the tee today with a 3 wood. That’s hit.  I don’t care who you are.  

• Like 2

Mavrik triple diamond 10.5* Diamana TB 70TX 

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensie CK Blue 80 TX  

TM Sim tour 19*  Aldila rogue proto 95TX  

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125TX 

Vokey sm7 50 54 58 MCI 125 mild  

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

1 hour ago, MMB1500 said:

what the heck are you talking about?? 

27 wins by 32..... and he should have won more. 

get a grip man.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, MMB1500 said:

Agree. I don't know why or how bc that level is in another stratosphere, but if Rory was maxed out every tournament and wasn't playing some kind of head game with himself, he'd never lose. I think he's that much better of a golfer than all but a few.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Justsomeguy said:

Agree. I don't know why or how bc that level is in another stratosphere, but if Rory was maxed out every tournament and wasn't playing some kind of head game with himself, he'd never lose. I think he's that much better of a golfer than all but a few.

this has only happened once in history.... tiger

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Pepe8714 said:

what the heck are you talking about?? 

27 wins by 32..... and he should have won more. 

get a grip man.....

Lol.

Winning a lot doesn't mean he hasn't thrown away a lot of other tournaments while in, or tied for, the lead going into Sunday (usually in a listless, insipid manner). Both things can be, and are, true. 

If you're not sure what I'm talking about, here's a good one to start with. This is the sort of Sunday performance that has become more and more common from him over the latter half of his career. The sort where he looks like he's suffocating under the pressure and his body language could barely be more negative. He lost this particular one when he missed the eagle putt on 2. 

Edited by MMB1500
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, MMB1500 said:

Lol.

Winning a lot doesn't mean he hasn't thrown away a lot of other tournaments while in, or tied for, the lead going into Sunday (usually in a listless, insipid manner). Both things can be, and are, true. 

If you're not sure what I'm talking about, here's a good one to start with. This is the sort of Sunday performance that has become more and more common from him over the latter half of his career. The sort where he looks like he's suffocating under the pressure and his body language could barely be more negative. He lost this particular one when he missed the eagle putt on 2. 

I completely disagree with your premise and examples given. A golf tournament is 72 holes. I understand what you’re saying, but I think it’s more that McIlroy was outplayed by others (giving them credit) rather than him ‘giving it away’

mcilry was 3 shots back heading into the final round in 2018. Hardly ‘blowing’ a lead, especially when you cite that he ‘lost’ the tournament on the 2nd hole of the day. He still had 16 holes left, no? 

Edited by Pepe8714
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Pepe8714 said:

this has only happened once in history.... tiger

Byron Nelson comes to mind in 1945. 18 wins, 11 in a row, 68.33 stroke ave.

Regarding Rory, plenty of great players have seasons they don’t dominate. Most often they return to winning form. They are great for this reason.

36 minutes ago, Pepe8714 said:

I completely disagree with your premise and examples given. A golf tournament is 72 holes. I understand what you’re saying, but I think it’s more that McIlroy was outplayed by others (giving them credit) rather than him ‘giving it away’

mcilry was 3 shots back heading into the final round in 2018. Hardly ‘blowing’ a lead, especially when you cite that he ‘lost’ the tournament on the 2nd hole of the day. He still had 16 holes left, no? 

Fair enough. He was indeed 3 back, you're right about that. However, he was still well in contention (in the final group) yet he never put any pressure on PR or ever looked even remotely threatening. 

The point about the eagle putt on 2 is that he lost the tournament mentally, there and then. Look at his reaction and body language. He was absolutely crushed and never recovered, something we've seen before and since, not least Augusta 2011.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Yep. Saw a couple of 310 plus carries off the tee today with a 3 wood. That’s hit.  I don’t care who you are.  

Blade!

I saw him carry like 330+, think on 16?

Freakin cannon like

🤣

Man that scene still cracks me up.

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, dcfas said:

Byron Nelson comes to mind in 1945. 18 wins, 11 in a row, 68.33 stroke ave.

Regarding Rory, plenty of great players have seasons they don’t dominate. Most often they return to winning form. They are great for this reason.

really? You’re going to use Byron Nelson as your example, in 1945 nonetheless?? If I remember correctly there was a lot going on in 1945.... like WWII...  

incredible achievement for Byron, winning all these golf tournaments when the majority of his competition was at war. 

Don't believe Byron was ever affiliated with Wells Fargo, but if he had been:

One might highlight "the streak" (tourney, followed by 2nd):

Mar 11, 1945 - Miami International Four-Ball (with Jug McSpaden) - 8 & 6, Sam Byrd and Denny Shute
Mar 21, 1945 - Charlotte Open -16 (70-68-66-68=272) - playoff, Sam Snead
Mar 25, 1945 - Greater Greensboro Open -13 (70-67-68-66=271) - 8 strokes, Sam Byrd
Apr 1, 1945 - Durham Open -4 (71-69-71-65=276) - 5 strokes, Toney Penna
Apr 8, 1945 - Atlanta Open -13 (64-69-65-65=263) - 9 strokes, Sam Byrd
Jun 10, 1945 - Montreal Open -20 (63-68-69-68=268) - 10 strokes, Jug McSpaden
Jun 17, 1945 - Philadelphia Inquirer Open -11 (68-68-70-63=269) - 2 strokes, Jug McSpaden
Jul 1, 1945 - Chicago Victory National Open -13 (69-68-68-70=275) - 7 strokes, Ky Laffoon and Jug McSpaden
Jul 15, 1945 - PGA Championship - 4 & 3, Sam Byrd
Jul 30, 1945 - All American Open -19 (66-68-68-67=269) - 11 strokes, Ben Hogan and Gene Sarazen
Aug 4, 1945 - Canadian Open E (68-72-72-68=280) - 4 strokes, Herman Barron

Sam Byrd (NY Yankees and PGA Tour) - 6 PGA Tour wins, 5 others
Denny Shute, 16 PGA Tour wins - 1933 Open, 1936 and 1937 PGA majors
Sam Snead - 82 PGA Tour wins, 7 majors
Toney Penna - 4 PGA Tour wins
Jug McSpaden - 17 PGA Tour wins, 11 others
Ky Laffoon - 10 PGA Tour wins, 1935 Ryder Cup
Ben Hogan - 64 PGA Tour wins, 9 majors
Gene Sarazen - 38 PGA Tour wins, 7 majors
Herman Barron - 4 PGA Tour wins, 8 others

Nelson beat them (and everyone else on the scene) in a span of five months.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Blade!

I saw him carry like 330+, think on 16?

Freakin cannon like

Drove it the rough. Barely got the approach shot with a PW inside 50 feet. Made par. Hit ball far only make pars. It be like what he does on many holes. Same as BDC.

• Like 1