PGL offers DJ, Rose $30 million each (***MERGED***)

JaNelson38

On 5/5/2021 at 12:11 PM, QuigleyDU said:

You are asking me questions I have no clue what the answer is. lol.. I am just saying.. Since this is all hypothetical. Is there a reason we should all be defending the PGA. Lets say every one of the top 20 decide to go. Why would we be sad for the PGA. 

There is no logical reason to defend the PGA in this unless you think it would destroy golf and we'd never get to watch it TV again. There are only selfish emotional reasons. I don't why any fan would care where these players conglomerate and play. Maybe, maybe I could see being against it if you attend a specific tournament in person every year or many tournaments every year and you fear top level pro golf will be essentially taken away from US soil for good if this or something similar happens. US sports fans (of which I am one) typically don't care for overseas leagues even if it's a sport they like. It feels kind of like some people might think they will have to stop enjoying top level professional golf if it isn't played mostly on US soil. That's just a guess though. 

Like other's have said though, eventually the PGA Tour is going to have to come up with a plan to either be more global or increase revenue significantly. They aren't protected by being the only country on the planet that can operate a "league" at the highest possible pay level like the big 3 US sports. TV revenue/demand makes that possible for those sports. Golf has a hard cap on TV demand in the US and can easily be usurped by hard cash from a group of wealthy people. They should've probably got ahead of the problem after the first salvo from Norman and engineered their own version of this that they and the Euro Tour control. Only some concoction of hubris/arrogance and various other character flaws would be strong enough to stop someone from making that sound business decision all those years ago. 

2 hours ago, OrangeGravy said:

I don't think they've spent all of the money they made the last 100 years yet. I could be wrong though, but probably not

At current government expenditure rate Saudi needs $100 a barrel to break even. And that's before the massive pension surge that's surge coming when all the people born in the oil boom times of the 60s and early 70s reach reach retirement. At $60 a barrel the country is hemorrhaging money. 

21 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

You underline my point.

Dylan was reportedly making 15MM a year off his royalties.

He sold for 400MM

I’m sure Rory would join the PGL for the same kind of money ; )

But 50MM is just a years pay for him. 

"You underline my point."

Far from it, actually.

"Dylan was reportedly making 15MM a year off his royalties."

If true, that's $15million/year for doing nothing. $15million for sitting on yer butt. Not traveling around the world, not taking part in four day tournaments, not hob-knobbing with a sponsor's corporate clients, nothing. No effort at all.

"He sold for 400MM"

So, given an easy 5 percent return, he's making $20million a year, for life, with that original $400million going to whoever he wants when he dies. Again, sitting on his arse, streaming Netflix, eating Doritos.

And Rory hasn't really created anything. He just plays golf. Dylan's music will be remembered for centuries, Rory will be remembered, if he's lucky, for 50 years or so once he stops playing.

"But 50MM is just a years pay for him."

I don't believe that he makes that much.

BTW, why are you talking about people making millimeters?

Edited by Guy In Lyon

42 minutes ago, Guy In Lyon said:

"You underline my point."

Far from it, actually.

"Dylan was reportedly making 15MM a year off his royalties."

If true, that's $15million/year for doing nothing. $15million for sitting on yer butt. Not traveling around the world, not taking part in four day tournaments, not hob-knobbing with a sponsor's corporate clients, nothing. No effort at all.

"He sold for 400MM"

So, given an easy 5 percent return, he's making $20million a year, for life, with that original $400million going to whoever he wants when he dies. Again, sitting on his arse, streaming Netflix, eating Doritos.

And Rory hasn't really created anything. He just plays golf. Dylan's music will be remembered for centuries, Rory will be remembered, if he's lucky, for 50 years or so once he stops playing.

"But 50MM is just a years pay for him."

I don't believe that he makes that much.

BTW, why are you talking about people making millimeters?

lol, common in the States to refer to million as MM. 1000x1000 ; )

Rory definitely makes 50MM, more as reported. 

And because his sponsors know he’s on a tour with a 9-year, multi network/media contact that guarantees exposure fir their products.

PGL?

18 hours ago, Str8Putt said:

Have to disagree with your dad. It's 2021. The way women are treated in the ME is no secret.

Heck didn't they just kick some women out of a country over there for taking a photo on a hotel ledge?

Dubai is one of the party places for the rich and even movie location.

I just don't see golf changing that especially if they're not starting a LPGA version and making the women play in head gear.

Wow..... don't you see that if there is EVER going to be a women's league in Saudi that it would only come from the men having a league first and laying the ground work....  So you just want a women's league now or there's no point..... ok

You're stories of a women kicked out the country are nothing compared to what we've seen.... That's why my Pops had a positive reaction of just hearing about a pro league in Saudi with media etc... but you can disagree with him, he would laugh at your lack of understanding of how big a step forward it would be for one of the most extreme radical religious countries

I had an American friend get in a fight with a Saudi kid.  Dad goes to jail and family kicked out.  So many things that need to improve....

You know they were a tribal country 100 years ago don't ya, think Lawrence of Arabia.... will take time to change but progress is progress

Can't figure how to like my own posts

4 hours ago, Guy In Lyon said:

At $60/barrel the Saudi's are making less money than they would if oil were selling at $100/barrel. They aren't hemorrhaging money.

That’s the cost to balance their budget for running the country. Think I saw its around $70/barrel. 

It only costs them like under $10/barrel to produce. 

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Barfolomew said:

Wow..... don't you see that if there is EVER going to be a women's league in Saudi that it would only come from the men having a league first and laying the ground work....  So you just want a women's league now or there's no point..... ok

You're stories of a women kicked out the country are nothing compared to what we've seen.... That's why my Pops had a positive reaction of just hearing about a pro league in Saudi with media etc... but you can disagree with him, he would laugh at your lack of understanding of how big a step forward it would be for one of the most extreme radical religious countries

I had an American friend get in a fight with a Saudi kid.  Dad goes to jail and family kicked out.  So many things that need to improve....

You know they were a tribal country 100 years ago don't ya, think Lawrence of Arabia.... will take time to change but progress is progress

Honestly I don't care if there is a women's league in SA or not or about your pop's laughing.

My point is golf isn't going to be what changes anything in the ME.

It's 2021 and social media is all around so it's not like there is a secret about what goes on in ME.

Plenty of movies are filmed there. Rich and famous go there all the time. Heck even watch YouTubers play golf in Dubai under the lights which looks dang cool.

Point is more popular stuff than golf happens over there and they still hold to their beliefs. 

15 minutes ago, Str8Putt said:

Honestly I don't care if there is a women's league in SA or not or about your pop's laughing.

My point is golf isn't going to be what changes anything in the ME.

It's 2021 and social media is all around so it's not like there is a secret about what goes on in ME.

Plenty of movies are filmed there. Rich and famous go there all the time. Heck even watch YouTubers play golf in Dubai under the lights which looks dang cool.

Point is more popular stuff than golf happens over there and they still hold to their beliefs. 

That's tru you're 100% correct golf won't change anything, I mean it's just a ball and a stick right..... and I'll tell Pops to quell the laughter

Can't figure how to like my own posts

Phil throwing in a characteristically cleverly crafted bit of verbiage.

I like Mickelson; but really, Phil?

A selfless act would be sinking some of your vast wealth into a worthwhile cause that ticks your philanthropic - no pun intended - boxes instead of paying lawyers that are slicker than the Saudi oil that'll pay for this charade to hide it from the tax man.

Edited by mat562

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

13 minutes ago, mat562 said:

A selfless act would be sinking some of your vast wealth into a worthwhile cause that ticks your philanthropic - no pun intended - boxes instead of paying lawyers that are slicker than the Saudi oil that'll pay for this charade to hide it from the tax man.

No kidding.  Phil's "it would be a selfless act to join the PGL" comment is just such utter BS.  Does he really expect anyone to think he's genuine?

15 hours ago, mat562 said:

I thought this was a joke he said that. What a clown. With the slimeball he is, I guess I shouldn't expect anything less from him?

17 hours ago, Barfolomew said:

That’s about as much progress as going from carrying to using a cart with one square wheel. Maybe in a million years they’ll get to circular wheels 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Guy In Lyon said:

I don't know where you were brought up, but as a 66 year old American that has spent 55 of those years in the United States I have NEVER seen million abbreviated as "MM" in the US.

If someone abbreviates "$50,000,000" they usually do it as "$50million" or $50 million".

I have lived here 50 years and had no problem understanding what 50MM means. Some people just looking to argue 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Guy In Lyon said:

I don't know where you were brought up, but as a 66 year old American that has spent 55 of those years in the United States I have NEVER seen million abbreviated as "MM" in the US.

If someone abbreviates "$50,000,000" they usually do it as "$50million" or $50 million".

I bet you eat Dijon mustard.

• 1t2golf changed the title to PGL offers DJ, Rose $30 million each (***MERGED***)