2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

PGL offers DJ, Rose $30 million each (***MERGED***)

JaNelson38

2 minutes ago, Go Cougs said:

Because one tour with the strongest talent is more interesting to watch than two strange tours with less strong in talent.  

I wouldn't be sad for the PGA.  I'd be sad for me/us, the viewers that would be stuck with these two weird tours that are both tainted.

fair points. 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

4 hours ago, StlEER said:

Except they really aren't. Who pays their insurance? Retirement? Who forces them to work a set number of weeks a year? When working, who forces them to participate in corporate events (pro-ams) and show up at a certain time (tee time) or face not working for the week? If someone pays you for your services, provides your benefits and tells you when you can and cannot work, they are your employer.

Now the real question is, has this ever been challenged in court?

According to my CPA wife, tour players are self-employed, not private contractors.

At the end of the day folks connect with winners.  So if DJ, Rory, Jordan, Xander and other bigs leave then the guys behind them will step up and someone else will win 2-4 times per year on the PGA Tour.  Someone still a member of the PGA Tour will win majors.  Someone will fill that vaccum.   If this Premier League stuff pans out there will be 2 competing tours and both Tours will have their stars and superstars.  And in no way shape or form would any major move to exclude Rory, DJ, Xander, Jordan etc.    That would just be bad business and a money losing proposition.

Ping G400 MAX 9 Kuro Kage Tini 60x

Titleist TSI2 18 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

The PGA Tour needs to be real careful here.  Outside of the majors and maybe THE PLAYERS & Riviera...how will history view the WGCs, FedEx Cup and the lesser events?  Events below are detailed in Hogan, Snead and Nelson's biographies as "major".  Sounds like the North and South Open was The Masters before The Masters...  Nicklaus is quoted saying the The Australian Open is the biggest event outside of the 4 Majors in the 60s.

See:

Tam O'Shanter National Open / World Championship of Golf / All American Open

North and South Open

Western Open

British PGA (non-US)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CaseyC said:

Why is it hypothetical?   Why isn't the PGL more transparent?   

Its all completely hypothetical - its absolutely vaporware right now. What they have is a vault full of money and ideas on paper, thats all they have.

Rory elaborated on my point. They first approached him seven years ago. In those seven years they still dont have a schedule, a list of events, a list of courses, the exact formats, a sponsor roster, a TV deal. They seem to have nothing - and the reports/leaks out of the players meeting seem to collaborate that. They have a pile of money and are asking players to "sign here" - right now - and we will give you $50M guaranteed. The GC coverage seems to indicate that the Saudis literally have a team in Florida right now trying to sign these players - and BTW the Saudi group no longer retains the services of the Raine Group.

I'd be willing to bet that the over under of Top 20 players that signs onto this is 1. Or rather, its 0.5 - and I would bet the under.

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

3 minutes ago, mosesgolf said:

...And in no way shape or form would any major move to exclude Rory, DJ, Xander, Jordan etc.    That would just be bad business and a money losing proposition.

And yet the PGL will exclude the players who step up on the PGA tours.   Is that bad for business and a money losing proposition for the PGL?

3 minutes ago, CaseyC said:

And yet the PGL will exclude the players who step up on the PGA tours.   Is that bad for business and a money losing proposition for the PGL?

IMO the bigs they want won't sign if it excludes them from playing in the Majors.  So that would just be a bad move and a non starter for most players.  And in order to keep their "superstar" status they still have to show their talents on the biggest stage which are the majors.

HIdeki is bigger than Godzilla bigger than the emperor in Japan right now.  You think they have any chance of signing him if he can't ever return to Augusta?  I'd bet the farm he wouldn't sign for $100 million.  

Edited by mosesgolf
  • Like 1

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

1 hour ago, dcmidnight said:

Exactly.  Here's a question, if there are 48 guys in this new league - I think there are more but it might be 48 on each team each week - how far down the PGA Tour money list do you think you would have to go to find the 48th guy who'd be interested? 

Then ask yourself if that's compelling golf that you would want to watch every week.

Sorry but I honestly cant believe anyone thinks its boo hoo for these PGA players - like Jay Monahan somehow locks them in the basement and only allows them to play where he wants them to play. 

Well said! Plus the risk for a guy that leaves the PGA for PGL is significant. If/when the big money gets tired of their new PGL toy the golfer has no PGA to come back to. 

• Like 1

Finchem put Greg Norman in his place back in the day when he tried to sell something similar and Monahan will do the same with this PGL non sense.  Most of the stars are chasing history, legacy, and majors.  It's not happening on the PGL.

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

5 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Well said! Plus the risk for a guy that leaves the PGA for PGL is significant. If/when the big money gets tired of their new PGL toy the golfer has no PGA to come back to. 

Lets say that player is someone like Dustin Johnson and is still the best player in golf. Or heck, even Rickie Fowler. Pretty low in the actually golf right now. BUt still a huge draw. Do you really think the PGA is not going to let them in?? Honestly, they will be glad they come back. 

To Jay I say. 

Lies No GIF

Edited by QuigleyDU
  • Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

45 minutes ago, farmer said:

Supporting a tour sponsored by a country with an abominable human rights record is not something I will do.  That'll show them.  Paulina being arrested for showing too much skin is something DJ needs to think about, as should all the players.

That’s a good point. Tough sell to the wives on that one. 

• Like 1

How many player's will try and call the PGA's "bluff"?

But even if the PGA doesn't change their rules, if a player doesn't have lifetime exemption, will they give up a year, potentially having to go back to the Korn Ferry tour to regain status?   Some might, if they are in the 75-150 in the earnings, but will those players be able to drive the PGL?

From ESPN

UEFA are ready to pursue severe disciplinary action against clubs that signed up to the Super League and have yet to sufficiently distance themselves from the project, multiple sources familiar with the situation have told ESPN.

This could result in the maximum punishment under the organisation's disciplinary pathway, which is a two-year ban from the Champions League or Europa League.

10 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

That’s a good point. Tough sell to the wives on that one. 

Didn't realize it included having to become a resident and live there.  

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

5 minutes ago, CaseyC said:

How many player's will try and call the PGA's "bluff"?

But even if the PGA doesn't change their rules, if a player doesn't have lifetime exemption, will they give up a year, potentially having to go back to the Korn Ferry tour to regain status?   Some might, if they are in the 75-150 in the earnings, but will those players be able to drive the PGL?

From ESPN

UEFA are ready to pursue severe disciplinary action against clubs that signed up to the Super League and have yet to sufficiently distance themselves from the project, multiple sources familiar with the situation have told ESPN.

This could result in the maximum punishment under the organisation's disciplinary pathway, which is a two-year ban from the Champions League or Europa League.

Maybe Phil. He's in the box a sumo wrestler / race a horse phase of his career anyway.

3 hours ago, CaseyC said:

The PGL is trying to be a much smaller closed shop.   

If they are offering a spot to Phil M., then they are promoting "mediocrity".    Even Phil knows his best playing days are behind him.

Yes, this is true. But as others have suggested, I think there's another angle with that guy:

a) It allows him to stay on a big stage. The long, slow, drop from relevance is painful for him.

b) I would not be surprised if he was a prime mover in the PGL recruitment efforts with according compensation. 

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

Thinking about this:

- would the PGA tour ever shorten its season? It's basically the only major sport that goes year round, but half of those events no one cares about. Maybe find a way to double up on sponsors, so if DJ wins an event he gets ~$7M or so. Pros would play a high percentage of the events. 

- tour could have contracts with different guys, like every other sports league.

- Then, have an actual ranking and playoff similar to other sports. Meaning, top 16 guys go into a match play style tournament, but its best of five rounds or something. Similar to the NBA. 

Pro golf is funny, its in some ways like regular sports leagues (NBA, NFL, MLB), somewhat WWE and a sprinkle of Nascar. Meaning, how do you present it where people are happy with the product? On one hand, they can't rig it, on the other, I don't think the appeal is the "anyone can win any week" vibe. 

• Like 1

Well first it will take 2 years before the PGL is qualified for World Ranking points.

second- The tour came out and said you are expelled from the PGA tour if you sign up. Period no exception

I am guessing that Augusta would follow suit, So that means you likely aren't playing in Majors. 

This is not going anywhere, like the Super League in soccer

4 hours ago, mosesgolf said:

At the end of the day folks connect with winners.  So if DJ, Rory, Jordan, Xander and other bigs leave then the guys behind them will step up and someone else will win 2-4 times per year on the PGA Tour.  Someone still a member of the PGA Tour will win majors.  Someone will fill that vaccum.   If this Premier League stuff pans out there will be 2 competing tours and both Tours will have their stars and superstars.  And in no way shape or form would any major move to exclude Rory, DJ, Xander, Jordan etc.    That would just be bad business and a money losing proposition.

Why would a sponsor pay millions of dollars to sponsor an event with level B or C talent while the perceived A level talent is playing in Saudi Arabia, playing for guaranteed money on so-so courses.  They won’t.  The PGA Tour becomes, essentially, the new Korn Ferry Tour.  How many people watched last week’s KFT event? Not me.  

• Like 1

I think the PGL should build their own brand if they can starting with

A draft!

Let’s say you’re a really good college player or euro player/foreign. You tune into the PGL draft and see your name on tv and some highlights of yourself. Then, a team announce you’re their #1 pick! 

Then you get a call and an offer of $20MM guaranteed over 2 years. Plus incentives. 

Now, you could see if you can get sponsors exemptions or get your card on the KF tour but you’re not guaranteed squat.

Now youre talkin!

Once a guy is proven on the pga tour, he’s not leaving. He’s got a clear path, he’s makin $10+ MM a year in endorsements, prolly a wife and kids who ain’t moving or traveling all over the place.

Even if the PGL can pick off one or two big names, it’s not enough. They need to build a long term process that acquires a stable of young talent that, in turn, produces great golf and TV ratings. 

This could get aggressive. You could see the PGL offering college juniors big money and then the PGA tour needing to try and step in with something. 

Draft, Jerry, draft ; )

The ex NJ generals owner has had all his courses snubbed by the PGA tour??? come on they snub Turnberry for the British open the only course they don't shoot twenty under for the British open !! Ok say they have really deep pockets and start buying up venues like PB and some great west coast swing course? Oh they Snubbed his course FL hmmm and went to Mexico. Ok They start buying the courses they could sink the PGA tour.

Every man has his price!!

Driver Taylor SIM 2
3wd ping 425

5wd ping 425
Irons I500 Ping 4 - pw
ping answer 2 sig
58 ping eye-2
54 Jaws 4

2I driving iron Srixon New shaft carbon fiber steel
Titlist 1x

52 minutes ago, scores said:

The ex NJ generals owner has had all his courses snubbed by the PGA tour??? come on they snub Turnberry for the British open the only course they don't shoot twenty under for the British open !! Ok say they have really deep pockets and start buying up venues like PB and some great west coast swing course? Oh they Snubbed his course FL hmmm and went to Mexico. Ok They start buying the courses they could sink the PGA tour.

Every man has his price!!

I could see certain ex-USFl owners getting involved with this, lol

But I don’t think Augusta is for sale at any price. Heck, the members could probably raise a Trillion bucks if they needed to. 

PB is owned by 100 US businessmen and prominent Americans who purchased, in part,  it to insure did not fall into the hands of corporate greed. Much less foreign owned corporate greed.

Among the consortium was Clint Eastwood, Arnold Palmer, Pete Ueberroth and Charles Schwab. 

I don’t think Clint is selling to the Saudis ; )

Another twist not mentioned yet is the tax-exempt status of the PGA Tour.  Not to get too political but a lot of players and organizers sure make a lot of money for a supposed nonprofit organization (112 players earned over $1 million in 2019.)  In some instances, the charity actually loses money, like Shriner's has done.  If the next tax reform bill pulls the TOUR's tax exemption, their leverage in this weakens considerably.  The money making scheme becomes crippled and the players could be more tempted jump ship rather than take the pay cut.

Lamkin Crossline - my favorite golf product ever

UW Huskies

• 1t2golf changed the title to PGL offers DJ, Rose $30 million each (***MERGED***)