2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

PGL offers DJ, Rose $30 million each (***MERGED***)

JaNelson38

20 minutes ago, tungstenplug said:

They wrote us a letter

E3XJBAWXoAkCtP8.jpeg.8d56df3c74858462abc3f991e70e5b7d.jpeg

E3XJBANWQAc_UEz.jpeg.3118dc0e7702bb7cb69cbf9ef9a28445.jpeg

More info here:  https://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2021/0608/1226987-premier-golf-league-bid-will-never-stop/

Doesn't sound like they are going to fold easily. Will be interesting to see what happens

That letter reads just as dumb as that other guy sounds, lol.  

Seriously, going for the "hearts and minds" of the fans?

Just makes me chuckle.  

That bit about me having a real voice in those 51 wild cards, yep, totally won me over - now where can I find the stupid NBA All Star game ballot?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Yes, he has exemptions to all of them. I guess they could kick Tiger off the PGA Tour, that would be something. But I don’t think it’s a requirement to be on the PGA Tour to play in the majors. 

The Masters has said that for now they are recognizing the current major golf tours and OWGR. It would be tough to keep out the top players if they aren’t awarded OWGR points and fall out of the top-50 in the PGL, but who knows. If the PGA Tour can keep players from playing X amount of European Tour events because they supposedly own PGA Tour players’ tv rights, who’s to say they wouldn’t try to keep players from playing in majors if they to play on the PGA Tour and PGL.

This is not just about the PGA Tour. The Tour has sponsorship agreements with many of the biggest American and non-American companies, companies that have pledged sponsorship deals for years to come and don’t want their tournaments watered down. The Tour, and their sponsors, are going to fight these startup leagues tooth and nail. I don’t think we’ve seen anything close to the lengths they’ll go to keep their stars. 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

7 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

The Masters has said that for now they are recognizing the current major golf tours and OWGR. It would be tough to keep out the top players if they aren’t awarded OWGR points and fall out of the top-50 in the PGL, but who knows. If the PGA Tour can keep players from playing X amount of European Tour events because they supposedly own PGA Tour players’ tv rights, who’s to say they wouldn’t try to keep players from playing in majors if they to play on the PGA Tour and PGL.

This is not just about the PGA Tour. The Tour has sponsorship agreements with many of the biggest American and non-American companies, companies that have pledged sponsorship deals for years to come and don’t want their tournaments watered down. The Tour, and their sponsors, are going to fight these startup leagues tooth and nail. I don’t think we’ve seen anything close to the lengths they’ll go to keep their stars. 

Yes, they tour makes most of their money from the networks and media contacts who planned what to pay the Tour based on what they predict revenue to be for the ads they sell to sponsor companies. 

If big names leave, that impacts the value of the ad time. So, agree they need to keep the best talent at all costs. 

But, on the flip side, the top players have sponsorship deals based on companies predicting how much air tune their products will get or how recognizable the players they sponsor are. That recognition comes from… performance on the pga tour.

So, the PGL might offer a player big purses and some upfront money. But will the players sponsors continue to pay them big money if the guy leaves the tour and they can’t predict how much exposure or recognition the player will get? If you’re a player, do you take the risk?

4 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Yes, they tour makes most of their money from the networks and media contacts who planned what to pay the Tour based on what they predict revenue to be for the ads they sell to sponsor companies. 

If big names leave, that impacts the value of the ad time. So, agree they need to keep the best talent at all costs. 

But, on the flip side, the top players have sponsorship deals based on companies predicting how much air tune their products will get or how recognizable the players they sponsor are. That recognition comes from… performance on the pga tour.

So, the PGL might offer a player big purses and some upfront money. But will the players sponsors continue to pay them big money if the guy leaves the tour and they can’t predict how much exposure or recognition the player will get? If you’re a player, do you take the risk?

That’s probably what players and their agents are figuring out now. The PGL will have to compete for TV time with the PGA Tour and that’s only going to result in watered down exposure. 

• Like 1

Ping Vault Arna

7 hours ago, me05501 said:

Here's a bit of education on it. It's different from any other sports league you might find...but I would guess it's a model for what the Saudi's would try to do. Our first clue is the offer of guaranteed money to the players. 

https://www.watsonpost.com/how-does-formula-one-make-money/

Thanks for the link. Interesting, especially the part about young drivers paying to drive.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tungstenplug said:

They wrote us a letter

E3XJBAWXoAkCtP8.jpeg.8d56df3c74858462abc3f991e70e5b7d.jpeg

E3XJBANWQAc_UEz.jpeg.3118dc0e7702bb7cb69cbf9ef9a28445.jpeg

More info here:  https://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2021/0608/1226987-premier-golf-league-bid-will-never-stop/

Doesn't sound like they are going to fold easily. Will be interesting to see what happens

This is getting silly. Enough of the grand letters and talk. 

Talk is cheap. At least score some kind of win. 

Sign somebody. Anybody!

Otherwise it’s like

208FEDCD-9B57-4B9A-9633-EC13E514A5B3.jpeg

The reality of it is, this ONLY works if they get 48 of the Top 75 players or so. It doesnt work if you have Harry Higgs as one of your team captains. No offense to Higgs, I just picked that name out of a hat. But if people tune in and see a bunch of retreads or money grabbgers that they dont know - it falls flat.

I'll reiterate though, this is all smoke and always has been smoke. No one - in either group really - has presented one concrete data point like a course or a sponsor or *anything*. The only way they get any players to jump is with 8 figure signing bonuses that get paid out even if the tour doesnt get off the ground.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

1 hour ago, dcmidnight said:

The reality of it is, this ONLY works if they get 48 of the Top 75 players or so. It doesnt work if you have Harry Higgs as one of your team captains. No offense to Higgs, I just picked that name out of a hat. But if people tune in and see a bunch of retreads or money grabbgers that they dont know - it falls flat.

I'll reiterate though, this is all smoke and always has been smoke. No one - in either group really - has presented one concrete data point like a course or a sponsor or *anything*. The only way they get any players to jump is with 8 figure signing bonuses that get paid out even if the tour doesnt get off the ground.

Which has me wondering what beyond this kind of nonsense is coming out behind the closed doors - as greedy as some are, agents/players aren't necessarily dumb.  Is all this aimed more in the short term at simply trying to drive the wedge between the players and their current tours and see how far they can get with it?  That's about all I can muster seeing this silliness with the letter and Founding Fathers stuff.

2 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

If you get 10-15 of the top 30 and fill the rest in with scrubs, it will work

Ping Vault Arna

3 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

If you get 10-15 of the top 30 and fill the rest in with scrubs, it will work

It will? So you get one team captain everyone knows and you fill the rest of the league with 30-35 scrubs and you think people will watch that?

Dont see it. Still.

Who is that interested in golf that they would watch that? If you think the normal PGA product is "boring" what in the world is going to get you to watch this?

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

1 hour ago, dcmidnight said:

It will? So you get one team captain everyone knows and you fill the rest of the league with 30-35 scrubs and you think people will watch that?

Dont see it. Still.

Who is that interested in golf that they would watch that? If you think the normal PGA product is "boring" what in the world is going to get you to watch this?

People only come to watch the stars. Viewers won’t know the difference between the 30th and 130th player in the world. That’s why the PGL is trying this. 

Ping Vault Arna

4 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

I'd watch PGL primetime golf on cable TV if scheduled Sunday thru Wednesday. But that's just me.....I watch College golf.

Primetime golf in today’s world gets crushed by most everything else. There’s better programming available. 

Ping Vault Arna

From this article:

https://www.skysports.com/golf/news/12176/12328453/organisers-confident-of-going-ahead-with-breakaway-premier-golf-league-circuit

"I think if you put the PGL as the top of the pyramid in golf, a similar effect to the Premier League in football takes place where there is greater interest on a global basis, the profile of the sport rises, more eyeballs, more cash. Then it's about how you distribute that through the pyramid.

The PGL wants to be installed as the top level of golf, above the PGA, above the Euro tours.   It wants to control golf and control the $ and how the $ are "distributed"...   

It is a cash grab

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CaseyC said:

From this article:

https://www.skysports.com/golf/news/12176/12328453/organisers-confident-of-going-ahead-with-breakaway-premier-golf-league-circuit

"I think if you put the PGL as the top of the pyramid in golf, a similar effect to the Premier League in football takes place where there is greater interest on a global basis, the profile of the sport rises, more eyeballs, more cash. Then it's about how you distribute that through the pyramid.

The PGL wants to be installed as the top level of golf, above the PGA, above the Euro tours.   It wants to control golf and control the $ and how the $ are "distributed"...   

It is a cash grab

A bit presumptuous, n’est-ce pas? Lol

One huge difference between golf and soccer is that soccer is a massively global sport due to it being universally popular especially outside the US. 
And it’s massively popular globally because every kid has grown up kicking a soccer ️ ball since they could stand up.

And this has been the case for many, many generations. 

So, there is a huge global appetite for tons and tons of soccer.

Golf is very different. There is a lopsided concentration of participation in the US, UK/Ireland, Australia, and Japan. 

And, just as with soccer, the participation and fandom has taken many, many generations to be established.

So, it’s a monumental task and recruiting issue to pull predominantly American players out of a league where they are financially successful, have flexibility in their schedules, have deeply rooted relationships with the Tour, venues, and sponsors, and have no reason to disrupt their plans and preparations for Majors. 

But it’s compounded by the big tv revenue coming from the US due to the generational establishment of a fan base here. The PGL can’t get the same huge fan base outside the US as the could with a sport like soccer. 

• Like 1

Thats just a bunch of word salad. 

Its like saying "Here at the XFL we believe if you put the XFL on top of the NFL in the football pyramid there would be more eyeballs on it."

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

On 6/9/2021 at 7:33 AM, dcmidnight said:

Dont see it. Still.

People watch the PGA Tour currently for about 10-15 guys. Most viewers don't care about the rest. I can't see why it would be any different with the PGL/SGL. 

Ping Vault Arna

PGA Tour is dying, ratings are down and the PGL and SGL can smell blood as 90%+ of players will pertake in the new proposed leauge. 

Pga are promising to paying up to $8m for golfers like Brooks and Bryson to make up fake rivalries and create social media clicks

Gen Z are not interested in golf or the fake Bryson - Brooks feud but more interested in Youtubers fighting in the boxing ring

Tour is done just like the lpga. Facts are the new crop are boring and lack any persence to capture  new fans, and no amount of money thrown at golfers to become interesting characters is going to make a change. 

• Haha 1

• 1t2golf changed the title to PGL offers DJ, Rose $30 million each (***MERGED***)
  • 1 month later...

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/07/28/pga-tour-deny-stars-permission-to-play-controversial-saudi-international/

The PGA Tour will refuse to allow some of its biggest stars to play in the controversial Saudi International tournament next year, Golfweek has learned. PGA Tour members must obtain a waiver to compete on other circuits and the Tour has signaled to managers that permission will not be granted because the Saudi event is no longer sanctioned by the European Tour, which also plans to deny permits for its members to compete.

The move will be seen as an escalation in a battle for the future of professional golf that pits the PGA and European tours against the Saudi government, which has been pushing a Super Golf League concept that would lure elite players to a breakaway tour with guaranteed paydays of up to $30 million.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tiderider said:

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/07/28/pga-tour-deny-stars-permission-to-play-controversial-saudi-international/

The PGA Tour will refuse to allow some of its biggest stars to play in the controversial Saudi International tournament next year, Golfweek has learned. PGA Tour members must obtain a waiver to compete on other circuits and the Tour has signaled to managers that permission will not be granted because the Saudi event is no longer sanctioned by the European Tour, which also plans to deny permits for its members to compete.

The move will be seen as an escalation in a battle for the future of professional golf that pits the PGA and European tours against the Saudi government, which has been pushing a Super Golf League concept that would lure elite players to a breakaway tour with guaranteed paydays of up to $30 million.

Too bad neither refused to sanction it sooner, but for whatever reason, good for them, IMO. 

Wonder if the Saudi event got a letter? 😀

1 hour ago, tiderider said:

The "Some," stance, if true, is not going to be legal. It either has to be all or none.

8 minutes ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

The "Some," stance, if true, is not going to be legal. It either has to be all or none.

I think the "some" is referring to the players who have played/would play in the Saudi event. Only "some" of the PGA Tour members play, so those are the ones who would be affected. The block would be for every PGA Tour member

• Like 2