IMG Junior Worlds

The other threads on this were old so thought I would start up a new one.  I was wondering if people could share their experiences on what they thought of IMG Junior Worlds in San Diego.  I will be taking my kid this year with the family.  Looks like our course is way out in the middle of nowhere so was hoping for some hotel recommendations with nice pool / beaches, things to do or check out while we are there.  Maybe some cool local tracks to play.  My kid is on the young side for her division so wanted it to be more of a family vacation not pushing the golf to hard this time (next year I'll go more crazy on her 🙂 ....

Thanks for any advice / tips...

My junior's IMG Worlds event is being held at Shadowridge GC in Vista, CA.  We are staying at a Residence Inn Marriott about 8-10 minutes away from the course.

Things to check out?  Isn't everyone having their junior grind over putts after their round to prepare for the next day?

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

9 minutes ago, wildcatden said:

My junior's IMG Worlds event is being held at Shadowridge GC in Vista, CA.  We are staying at a Residence Inn Marriott about 8-10 minutes away from the course.

Things to check out?  Isn't everyone having their junior grind over putts after their round to prepare for the next day?

HAHAHA - Besides one practice round and the tournament rounds that will be all the tournament golf we do (don't worry we grind hard the weeks before then shut it down - she plays better that way)   We are at Singing Hills and I have been there once and I can tell you the rest of the family won't want to stay there.  Looking for a place more central, beach, pool, near some attractions, restaurants - maybe a legoland or seaworld day, beach day - with covid this will really be our first vacation in a long time, so wanted everyone to have a good time

2 hours ago, wildcatden said:

Did you guys play boys 7-8 in the previous years? 

13 minutes ago, darter79 said:

I was leaning towards doing it but decided not to. Not sure why now and as I type that I probably gonna regret not spending a week on the beach. 

It gets harder to qualify the older they get. I wouldn’t skip it if I were you. 

• Like 2
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

18 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

It gets harder to qualify the older they get. I wouldn’t skip it if I were you. 

This is true.  It's frustrating because older kids living in the US have to qualify in by winning a competitive qualifier, whereas some int'l players can just apply via tournament application if there is no qualifier in their country.  The scores of some of those players who got in via application are shocking.

Just now, ConcernedBoutCOVID said:

This is true.  It's frustrating because older kids living in the US have to qualify in by winning a competitive qualifier, whereas some int'l players can just apply via tournament application if there is no qualifier in their country.  The scores of some of those players who got in via application are shocking.

We still get a lot more spots than other countries though. I’ve been following the two kids from Japan that we played with 2 years ago. Their journey to representing their country again this year was not easy. 

6 minutes ago, Kcct82 said:

We still get a lot more spots than other countries though. I’ve been following the two kids from Japan that we played with 2 years ago. Their journey to representing their country again this year was not easy. 

2 of the 3 who did not (or barely) broke triple digits for 3 rounds were from tiny countries with no qualifiers.  One was DQ'd (not sure why).

Should be our 3rd time qualifying for this event (9yo, 10, 12).  We live locally in SD.  If you're playing at Singing Hills, I'd recommend staying a bit west closer to the ocean.  Singing Hills isn't in the most glamorous area and there isn't much out there. Head west just a bit and stay closer to Mission Valley and it'll be much more enjoyable.

• Like 1

My son is currently 5th in the points race to qualify for this year.  Its been a grind, but hopefully he gets in.  Sad part is his course will be Pala Mesa.  We have played a lot of golf and this has to be the most mickey mouse layout with the worst conditions I've ever witnessed.  The 11-12 boys have some elite players so not sure why they couldn't get these kids on a better course.   

As for playing IMG, I would go every year a kid can qualify.  As @leezer99 mentioned, it only gets harder to qualify each year and I definitely can attest to that.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kekoa said:

My son is currently 5th in the points race to qualify for this year.  Its been a grind, but hopefully he gets in.  Sad part is his course will be Pala Mesa.  We have played a lot of golf and this has to be the most mickey mouse layout with the worst conditions I've ever witnessed.  The 11-12 boys have some elite players so not sure why they couldn't get these kids on a better course.   

As for playing IMG, I would go every year a kid can qualify.  As @leezer99 mentioned, it only gets harder to qualify each year and I definitely can attest to that.  

Rumors out there are that SDJGA will be doubling the qualifiers by points because the international numbers will be significantly down. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 12:42 PM, leezer99 said:

Rumors out there are that SDJGA will be doubling the qualifiers by points because the international numbers will be significantly down. 

Spoke with one of the tournament directors for SDJGA regarding this and he did confirm that they are anticipating bumping up the number of invites from the SDJGA points race due to low international turn out.  He says a couple countries are still shut down and not allowing international travel.  He said that they expect to make official announcements sometime in mid-June once all the travel issues are confirmed.  He did say that it would vary by age group, some could be has high as 10 invites, (versus the 6 currently offered).  Some might be more, some less.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2021 at 4:55 AM, leezer99 said:

Son qualified earlier this week so I guess we're going to SD.  Playing La Costa which he has played with limited success.  Should be a fun week.

Congrats on qualifying.  Still can't believe boys 11-12 are playing Pala Mesa.  If I had to take a plane to play that course, I would be livid.   Its sad that most of the kids in this age group are very well off and members of some of the nicest clubs in San Diego and practice in pristine conditions.  Meanwhile they will need to play a goat track for IMG. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kekoa said:

Congrats on qualifying.  Still can't believe boys 11-12 are playing Pala Mesa.  If I had to take a plane to play that course, I would be livid.   Its sad that most of the kids in this age group are very well off and members of some of the nicest clubs in San Diego and practice in pristine conditions.  Meanwhile they will need to play a goat track for IMG. 

Yeah, that’s not cool. You guys already in?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here went to Singing Hills Oak Glen in 2019? We went to check out the course a few months ago and the greens were really slow. I’m guessing like an 8 on the stimp meter. How fast were they running during tournament time? I know they made Colina Park a little faster during IMG back in 2019. Will they do the same for Oak Glen? Thanks 

5 hours ago, kekoa said:

My son just qualified for IMG worlds.  Looking at the field, I may be better off saving $500 and staying home.  lol!!!

Through a single event or through points?  Just wondering if they sent out SDJGA points qualifiers.