Jump to content

I felt cheated about buying from Club Champions after hearing this ... I'm calling it SHAFTGATE!!!


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Redjeep83 said:

 

Oban is a chicago based company and CC being based in Chicago before they branched out, pushed their shafts alot.

 

Are they still open for business?  The website is up but with zero innovation in years it appears they are riding the old lineup as long as possible until the doors close.  Pretty much like Matrix did.

Edited by J13

Callaway Epic Max LS / Fuji Ventus Black 7X                  

Callaway Epic Speed 15* / Fuji Ventus Blue 8X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 50*,54*,60* / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Odyssey Versa #6




 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They got you to SST Pure your shafts.    You should look into that next.  Might want to sit down for that one.  

Caveat Emptor.   This is why I support the little guy or local fitter.  I wanted a set of ZX7's and my local guy knew I wanted to build them myself with an aftermarket shaft (MMT 105 TX).  T

I have heard from deep undercover operatives that you can get fit at CC and then buy from another source.  Could be a rumor, but many people have told me this works.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, J13 said:

 

Are they still open for business?  The website is up but with zero innovation in years it appears they are riding the old lineup as long as possible until the doors close.  Pretty much like Matrix did.

 

not exactly sure, I never really played them. CC also pushes accra shafts to like everyone, I'm pretty sure one of the main reasons is the OEM's don't really offer accra so the people who believe it is the best fit for them will purchase from CC since they carry them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Redjeep83 said:

 

not exactly sure, I never really played them. CC also pushes accra shafts to like everyone, I'm pretty sure one of the main reasons is the OEM's don't really offer accra so the people who believe it is the best fit for them will purchase from CC since they carry them.

SMH ... I got fit at CC for an Accra shaft which I could not find anywhere else which is why I bought it there! It came down to Accra or Kiyoshi lol. In hindsight, the fitter did do a lot more adjusting of lofts on the driver with these 2 shafts than the others. Earlier this year I did an outdoor fitting with Trackman and found Ventus Black w/ Velocore to perform better.

Edited by smrtchar

Driver: Taylormade SIM2 8.0* - Fujikura Ventus Black w/ Velocore 6x

3-Wood: Cobra King F9 Speedback 13.5* - Accra FX 2.0 300F M5

5-Wood: Cobra King F9 Speedback Tour 16.5* - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Limited Edition 80 X

3-Iron: Mizuno MP-20 HMB - Project X 6.5

4-PW: Mizuno JPX 919 Tour - Project X 6.5

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 F-Grind 52*, S-Grind 56*; Taylormade Hi-Toe ATV 60* - Project X 6.5

Putter: Sik Pro Armlock - LAGolf Shaft

Ball: 2021 ProV1 (just switched from Bridgestone Tour BX)

Bag: Nike Air Hybrid

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have CC close by and have been to it a couple times for a few fittings, only bought from them one time and that was a putter fitting. Did a driver shaft fitting and when they wanted to charge me $425 for just the Ventus Black shaft before the build, I haven't been back.

 

A friend of mine just went down there a week ago for an iron fitting and I told him ahead of time not to let them pressure him into buying right then. He sent me a pic of his build sheet for a set of 5-PW and GW Srixon irons with PX LS shafts for $2200. I went on the Srixon site and they were charging him the full $1200 for the irons, $600+ for the shafts, $200+ for shaft puring and the grips(only thing not outrageously priced). I took his specs and built his irons on the Srixon website with the upgraded shafts for less than $1400, the only thing he would have had to special request was trying to match the SW which wouldn't have been too hard cause his irons were a little over standard length. 

 

As the OP mentioned, to me its the shaft thing, $600+ for shafts. That's $75 for a shaft that's $50 on on Golfworks plus another $30 for puring(which is crap)....$55 basically for the install of 1 shaft.

 

In the end my buddy used the specs to order the clubs from Srixon and actually added a 4 iron to the set and still saved $600 and was quoted 3-4 weeks as opposed to the 7-8 weeks from CC.  The thing I like about CC is its one of very few places where you can try almost unlimited shaft and club options, but their pricing practice can be a little ridiculous and I would research all my options before handing them my credit card.

  • Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9* w/Diamana DF 70x

3 Wood: Titleist TSi 2 15* w/Fujikura Motore X F1 7x

Hyrbid: 2021 Apex Pro 18* w/Aldila Tour ATX Black 85x

Taylormade 3 UDI w/Project X Hzrdus Black 105 6.5

Irons: Ping iBlades 4-PW w/Project X 6.5

Wedges: SM8 Raw 52F & 58T grind w/Project X 6.0

 

Putter: Custom Slighter Tacoma

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2021 at 9:30 AM, J13 said:

Although I don't disagree with the cost being too high I also think the golf business is a little behind when dealing with fitting companies such as CC.  There are some companies that do head only sales to fitters but not all of them.  If all companies had a head only option for fitters then my guess is price could be adjusted. But, CC is a premium service that offers convenience and high quality builds.  I've gotten fit there before and was happy with everything but driver fitting (not their fault but my own swing indoors doesn't translate to the course). 

 

My advice:

 

Buyer beware and like someone said above, go in educated on price and just get fit and see what shakes out.  You don't have to order on the spot.  Do some price checking and determine if them building your stuff is worth it or not.  I do plenty of builds for people locally and on here that go to a CC type place and get fit then acquire the shafts and heads and have me build it all up.  All depends on if people know thats an option and have good local builders to do the work.  If so it's typically half the cost.

 

Couldn't agree more.  No one is holding a gun to your head and making you buy their clubs.  If you are buying without checking the pricing, that's on you.

 

I was fit for my Srixon 745s w/ S400s at Club Champion and was completely happy with the fitting experience.  Tested tons of heads and shafts, they literally have almost everything you could ask for.

 

Did I purchase through them?  Hell no!  Found exact specs on BST here for 1/3 of the cost they quoted for the same build.  

 

On the flip side, I had a buddy that got fitted and he knew he was paying a premium, but bought through them anyway (more disposable cash than me haha).

 

One thing that no one is bringing up - believe they offer lifetime adjustments / loft checking of the clubs if you purchase through them and warrant their builds as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, adam2883 said:

I have CC close by and have been to it a couple times for a few fittings, only bought from them one time and that was a putter fitting. Did a driver shaft fitting and when they wanted to charge me $425 for just the Ventus Black shaft before the build, I haven't been back.

 

A friend of mine just went down there a week ago for an iron fitting and I told him ahead of time not to let them pressure him into buying right then. He sent me a pic of his build sheet for a set of 5-PW and GW Srixon irons with PX LS shafts for $2200. I went on the Srixon site and they were charging him the full $1200 for the irons, $600+ for the shafts, $200+ for shaft puring and the grips(only thing not outrageously priced). I took his specs and built his irons on the Srixon website with the upgraded shafts for less than $1400, the only thing he would have had to special request was trying to match the SW which wouldn't have been too hard cause his irons were a little over standard length. 

 

As the OP mentioned, to me its the shaft thing, $600+ for shafts. That's $75 for a shaft that's $50 on on Golfworks plus another $30 for puring(which is crap)....$55 basically for the install of 1 shaft.

 

In the end my buddy used the specs to order the clubs from Srixon and actually added a 4 iron to the set and still saved $600 and was quoted 3-4 weeks as opposed to the 7-8 weeks from CC.  The thing I like about CC is its one of very few places where you can try almost unlimited shaft and club options, but their pricing practice can be a little ridiculous and I would research all my options before handing them my credit card.

Very similar story here. Was fit for the ZX5 and the Nippon Modus 120S shaft. Was excited for new clubs and with how the fitting went so I bought on the spot. When I went home, I researched a bit and ended up on the Srixon website and the same shafts and grips were available for upgrade at no charge. I immediately called the fitter at CC and the response was exactly this (cut and paste from email)

 

They are labeled the same, but unlike the shafts when we get them from Nippon, they are not weight sorted or checked out. They are ordered in lots of 10000 at a time. When we get them in they are sorted by the manufacturer in sets so the whole set of shafts were built together. I jokingly call it "we can trace the lineage of our shafts!". 
 

So is it true? No idea. Fitter was recommended to me by the Pro I get lessons from so naturally I trusted the process. Just doesn’t feel right though. Anyways, I should have my clubs this week hopefully and it will be a hard knock lesson learned. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mobert19 said:

Very similar story here. Was fit for the ZX5 and the Nippon Modus 120S shaft. Was excited for new clubs and with how the fitting went so I bought on the spot. When I went home, I researched a bit and ended up on the Srixon website and the same shafts and grips were available for upgrade at no charge. I immediately called the fitter at CC and the response was exactly this (cut and paste from email)

 

They are labeled the same, but unlike the shafts when we get them from Nippon, they are not weight sorted or checked out. They are ordered in lots of 10000 at a time. When we get them in they are sorted by the manufacturer in sets so the whole set of shafts were built together. I jokingly call it "we can trace the lineage of our shafts!". 
 

So is it true? No idea. Fitter was recommended to me by the Pro I get lessons from so naturally I trusted the process. Just doesn’t feel right though. Anyways, I should have my clubs this week hopefully and it will be a hard knock lesson learned. 

 

They may weight sort their shafts when they get in. Does the justify the huge markup in price? That's your call.

WITB:

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5*, NS Setting, Accra TZ6 55 M4 @ 45.5"

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 15*, NS Setting, Accra TZ6 65 M4 @ 43"

Hybrid: Callaway Epic Flash 4h 21* @ 20*, N-1 Setting, Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S @ 38.75"

Irons: Srixon ZX5 5,6 irons; ZX7 7-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 S; 36.5" 7 iron length

Wedges: Mizuno T20 50.07, 54.12, 58.08; Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback @ 32.5"; Superstroke Flatso 3.0

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4 STD

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, kjbuckeye said:

They may weight sort their shafts when they get in. Does the justify the huge markup in price? That's your call.

I've ordered a couple of sets of Nippon shafts and when I weighed them they were all spot on.  Doesn't mean they all are, but I get the feeling that Nippon has a reputation for very tight tolerances, so weight sorting may not be as necessary vs some other brands.

Edited by brew4eagle

PING Hoofer Lite

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*

Maltby DBM Forged 5, 7, 9

Vokey SM7 52.8F, 58.8M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mobert19 said:

Very similar story here. Was fit for the ZX5 and the Nippon Modus 120S shaft. Was excited for new clubs and with how the fitting went so I bought on the spot. When I went home, I researched a bit and ended up on the Srixon website and the same shafts and grips were available for upgrade at no charge. I immediately called the fitter at CC and the response was exactly this (cut and paste from email)

 

They are labeled the same, but unlike the shafts when we get them from Nippon, they are not weight sorted or checked out. They are ordered in lots of 10000 at a time. When we get them in they are sorted by the manufacturer in sets so the whole set of shafts were built together. I jokingly call it "we can trace the lineage of our shafts!". 
 

So is it true? No idea. Fitter was recommended to me by the Pro I get lessons from so naturally I trusted the process. Just doesn’t feel right though. Anyways, I should have my clubs this week hopefully and it will be a hard knock lesson learned. 

 

Bogus most likely. Club Champion gives off that used car salesmen vibe. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2021 at 8:27 PM, Mobert19 said:

Very similar story here. Was fit for the ZX5 and the Nippon Modus 120S shaft. Was excited for new clubs and with how the fitting went so I bought on the spot. When I went home, I researched a bit and ended up on the Srixon website and the same shafts and grips were available for upgrade at no charge. I immediately called the fitter at CC and the response was exactly this (cut and paste from email)

 

They are labeled the same, but unlike the shafts when we get them from Nippon, they are not weight sorted or checked out. They are ordered in lots of 10000 at a time. When we get them in they are sorted by the manufacturer in sets so the whole set of shafts were built together. I jokingly call it "we can trace the lineage of our shafts!". 
 

So is it true? No idea. Fitter was recommended to me by the Pro I get lessons from so naturally I trusted the process. Just doesn’t feel right though. Anyways, I should have my clubs this week hopefully and it will be a hard knock lesson learned. 

 

 

lol, that is such bs.

 

They are decent fitters and have a wide variety of options. You just have to be clear with them that you plan on ordering the set from the manufacturer, otherwise they will try to throw you into some oban iron shaft or accra metal wood shaft so you will buy from them. Even if the manufacturer doesn't offer the shaft, you can order it elsewhere easily. People keep saying bst like its the only other option.

Edited by Redjeep83
Link to post
Share on other sites

Truth be told "most" golfers could get the same fit at any Top 100 fitting operation using a high quality launch monitor as they would at CC. And also get a build that would preform as well just getting a custom build from an OEM.  And yes I know and have heard the horror stories about OEM builds. But I have had a few builds from a Top 100 builder and fitter that builds to finite quality that I would guarantee is more precise than anything coming out of CC (and who are these top clubmakers building your sticks at CC)?  And I've also had numerous custom OEM products. In the end (at least in my experience) there was no discernable differences in performance or feel between the two which in the end did not affect my scoring in any way. I did do a putter fitting some else which however did. LOL. And yes CC does offer a huge selection of shafts but in most instances you should find a good shaft fit from almost any OEM stocked fitting cart. Unless of course you feel that your game deserves some very high end exotic shaft which CC will gladly fit you into. 

I've visited CC and listened to their pitch and come away un impressed and as someone mentioned that "used car salesmen" vibe.

In the end I feel that CC is more of a vanity fitting for someone who has no issue paying an inflated price and who feels that their supposed higher level of fittings and selection justifies said cost and will help their scoring.  Much like someone playing and insisting that a Tour Cameron makes them a better putter. 

But it is your $ and how you chose to spend it is no ones issue but your own. If it makes you happy go for it. 

Ping G410 9* LST
Callaway Mavrik 4 Wood

Ping G25 7 Wood

Ping G410 irons 5 thru UW
Vokey SM6 54*/10* S Grind
Vokey SM6 58*/12* K Grind
T.P Mills Custom PN MIng
Custom Compass Golf "Fang"
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brew4eagle said:

I've ordered a couple of sets of Nippon shafts and when I weighed them they were all spot on.  Doesn't mean they all are, but I get the feeling that Nippon has a reputation for very tight tolerances, so weight sorting may not be as necessary vs some other brands.

I reshafted my irons with Modus 125s shafts last year from DG TI s400, and after getting the head weights exactly where I wanted them, the clubs all came out to the exact same SW.  I didn't measure the shafts at all.  That told me how tight their tolerances are.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* SIM2 set 1 click lower- AV Raw White 65s or Aldila Rogue Silver 70s 

Fairway: Cobra Radspeed 3 Wood with Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7s and Radspeed Tour 5w turned up to 18.5* (Shaft TBD, but Motore F1 is solid)
Irons:  21* Wilson Staff Utility Recoil 8f4 iron shaft, PING g410 23* Crossover (Proforce Tour Weight Iron shaft), 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro:  All shafted with DGTI s400
Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore Wedges (All Raw with DGTI s400 shafts) 48* bent to 49*, 52* Mid bent to 53*, 56* Mid bent to 58*. 

Putter: White Hot OG 7s with Stability Tour Black or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jah7838 said:

I reshafted my irons with Modus 125s shafts last year from DG TI s400, and after getting the head weights exactly where I wanted them, the clubs all came out to the exact same SW.  I didn't measure the shafts at all.  That told me how tight their tolerances are.  

I've been inside Nippon's shop here in the US. They have racks of iron lengths and flexes. They are not sorted into "sets" just the shaft model, flex, and length in each of their own little cubbies. When they gave me a set of irons, they pulled 1 shaft from each length. Indiscriminately.  The set was perfect. They have that much faith in their quality that they don't weight match or CPM a set...like the DG "Tour Issue" sets claim to do for you for the premium over the standard DG. Nippon makes great stuff and SST puring or blueprinting, etc just isn't necessary for Nippon shafts.  Buy an inferior product like KBS or DG sure, maybe its worth it. If your a + or single digit and know you're dialed in the head, model, et and now its all about sw, total weight, CPM, etc. To just take it up another level of accuracy. But for the normal hack, with the discretionary funds, nah, none of that is fixing their swing mechanic flaws or their machismo mind set.

  • Like 1

TaylorMade M3 9.5° w/ Graphite Design TourAD GP 6 TX
TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max 5W 19° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5 (Hunting for a 17.5° tour issue SIM head.)
TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ Modus Nippon Modus Prototype ORA X

Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SS Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter and Rosemark Thorn 1.25 grip

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, markheardjr said:

I've been inside Nippon's shop here in the US. They have racks of iron lengths and flexes. They are not sorted into "sets" just the shaft model, flex, and length in each of their own little cubbies. When they gave me a set of irons, they pulled 1 shaft from each length. Indiscriminately.  The set was perfect. They have that much faith in their quality that they don't weight match or CPM a set...like the DG "Tour Issue" sets claim to do for you for the premium over the standard DG. Nippon makes great stuff and SST puring or blueprinting, etc just isn't necessary for Nippon shafts.  Buy an inferior product like KBS or DG sure, maybe its worth it. If your a + or single digit and know you're dialed in the head, model, et and now its all about sw, total weight, CPM, etc. To just take it up another level of accuracy. But for the normal hack, with the discretionary funds, nah, none of that is fixing their swing mechanic flaws or their machismo mind set.

Thanks for the info. Now the question is, do I say “thank you” or something different that rhymes when picking these up tomorrow?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I bought a set of Pings at CC and not a damn one of 'em have the same serial number; this should be disclosed at purchase.

Edited by Birddog2
sp

Ping G400 w/Ping CB Alta S
Ping G410 5 Wood set to 16* w/Ping Alta R

Ping G410 5-U, Steelfiber i95R  
Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54* w/Steelfiber i95R
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth SS 58* w/Sleelfiber i110R
Odyssey  330M Black 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This has been the trend for years already.

 

Exotic Upgrades are always cheaper through OEM Manufacturer.

 

However, they do not spec it to how you need it to be played during your fitting session. Unless you specify what you need, OEM Manufacturer will throw in the Exotic shaft at Manufacturers' standard tipping which may or may not be optimized for you during your fitting session.

 

The Custom Shop fitter and builder can customize your headweight and shaft profile needed to maximize your gains and suit your needs. While you save money going through getting the Exotic shaft, your Custom Shop fitter and builder will build it to the spec that you need.

 

Usually fitting session cost is built into your overall cost of the club as well so really you're paying that 100$~ to have it fitted and built exactly the way you need the club to perform.

 

I've been to several fitting sessions at OEM Manufacturer and the Custom Fit Shops definitely have a better variety of shafts for your choosing as well.

 

I can't speak for experiences at CC but can speak for my experiences at my local Custom shop which is a reputable one that most people would know.

Edited by humps
Adding more content for clarity.

-----

WITB

Titleist TSi3 8* Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 70 TX

Titleist TSi2 15* Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 80 TX

Titleist U500 3i Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX or Titleist TSi2 18* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green "Hulk" PVD 6.5 80G

Titleist T100 4-PW Project X 7.0

Titleist Vokey SM8 50F(51)/56M(55)/60T

Scotty Cameron (TBD)

Titleist ProV1

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2021 at 1:06 AM, cristphoto said:

I've seen a couple posts from people saying CC keeps your stock shafts and then sells you replacement shafts at bloated prices. Did I get this correct?  So if I buy a new driver from Golf Galaxy and take it to CC and want to be fitted they will have me hit balls trying different shafts? When the numbers look good they sell me that shaft and install in my driver.  Where do they feel they have the right to keep my driver shaft?  If it were me I'd go through the fitting process and then when I selected the optimum shaft I'd simply take my driver wrench and take MY shaft (takes all of about 10 seconds now).  They try stopping me they just lost a sale.  Plus after hearing all this I would question if the shaft I'm buying from them (at elevated list prices) is actually new or simply a pull from a previous customer.  Starting to get a bit smelly. 

According to the Club Champion poster on Golfwrx they don't neccarily buy clubs and disassemble. I take this to mean they can and do buy heads only(at least driver heads)

 

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2021 at 10:14 AM, brew4eagle said:

I've ordered a couple of sets of Nippon shafts and when I weighed them they were all spot on.  Doesn't mean they all are, but I get the feeling that Nippon has a reputation for very tight tolerances, so weight sorting may not be as necessary vs some other brands.

Yeah. I've always seen Nippon to be very tight in tolerance. Most reputable brands are. If that is CC justification for insane shaft prices, by weight sorting already tight tolerance shafts, that is ridiculous.

WITB:

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5*, NS Setting, Accra TZ6 55 M4 @ 45.5"

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 15*, NS Setting, Accra TZ6 65 M4 @ 43"

Hybrid: Callaway Epic Flash 4h 21* @ 20*, N-1 Setting, Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S @ 38.75"

Irons: Srixon ZX5 5,6 irons; ZX7 7-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 S; 36.5" 7 iron length

Wedges: Mizuno T20 50.07, 54.12, 58.08; Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback @ 32.5"; Superstroke Flatso 3.0

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4 STD

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Let us play a little game.

 

You got to a locally, known club fitter for a driver fitting. Let us assume he has all the bells and whistles in his shop. Not some tinkerer in his garage/cellar.

 

After a 1.5 hour fitting, he proposes the following driver and his material purchase costs are:

Driver head $90.00, shaft $100.00, grip $10.00. What would you consider a fair price for him to charge you for this club?

 

A 2nd scenario is after the fitting, he is just going to reshaft your present club with the above shaft and grip cost. What would you consider a fair price for him to charge you to reshaft this club?

 

Thanks for playing.

Edited by JCAG
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JCAG said:

Let us play a little game.

 

You got to a locally, known club fitter for a driver fitting. Let us assume he has all the bells and whistles in his shop. Not some tinkerer in his garage/cellar.

 

After a 1.5 hour fitting, he proposes the following driver and his material purchase costs are:

Driver head $90.00, shaft $100.00, grip $10.00. What would you consider a fair price for him to charge you for this club?

 

A 2nd scenario is after the fitting, he is just going to reshaft your present club with the above shaft and grip cost. What would you consider a fair price for him to charge you to reshaft this club?

 

Thanks for playing.

$400 and $200 respectively.

  • Like 1

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JCAG said:

Let us play a little game.

 

You got to a locally, known club fitter for a driver fitting. Let us assume he has all the bells and whistles in his shop. Not some tinkerer in his garage/cellar.

 

After a 1.5 hour fitting, he proposes the following driver and his material purchase costs are:

Driver head $90.00, shaft $100.00, grip $10.00. What would you consider a fair price for him to charge you for this club?

 

A 2nd scenario is after the fitting, he is just going to reshaft your present club with the above shaft and grip cost. What would you consider a fair price for him to charge you to reshaft this club?

 

Thanks for playing.

I figure the 1.5 hr fitting time is worth $75 assuming a baked-in discount for making a purchase.  Then the build labor is worth $60.  Now I'm spitballing here, but I'm going to say 50% markup on hard goods, so $300 for the parts ($165 without the head).  So a total of $435 for the driver build, and a total of $300 for the reshaft.

PING Hoofer Lite

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*

Maltby DBM Forged 5, 7, 9

Vokey SM7 52.8F, 58.8M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JCAG said:

And your alternative is?


i wasnt making that decision on price but all the comments about fitting into certain shafts and not really caring to give a unbiased fitting. I was going to tell them up front i would not be buying clubs from them most likely but if i pay 150$ for a iron fitting i expect them to do a good job. I have been fitted before at another place and told them the same thing and they had 2 guys there and were amazing. I was going to give cc a try bc they had more of the stuff i wanted to test. As far as markups i worked in sales and i know markups are high and im all for letting people make a profit off me if i get good service. I also tip  extremely high so im not cheap. 

Edited by Dannyboy44
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2021 at 2:18 PM, manima1 said:

 

Couldn't agree more.  No one is holding a gun to your head and making you buy their clubs.  If you are buying without checking the pricing, that's on you.

 

I was fit for my Srixon 745s w/ S400s at Club Champion and was completely happy with the fitting experience.  Tested tons of heads and shafts, they literally have almost everything you could ask for.

 

Did I purchase through them?  Hell no!  Found exact specs on BST here for 1/3 of the cost they quoted for the same build.  

 

On the flip side, I had a buddy that got fitted and he knew he was paying a premium, but bought through them anyway (more disposable cash than me haha).

 

One thing that no one is bringing up - believe they offer lifetime adjustments / loft checking of the clubs if you purchase through them and warrant their builds as well. 

I found a Mitchell machine on ebay for 400 bucks, and have a few other measuring devices, so I can do my own adjustments and loft and lie checking and still paid less.  Plus I don't have to wait for their turn around time of checking and adjusting.  I can also check and do any set of irons I get going forward, not just the ones I bought from them.

  • Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS on Ventus Purple
  • 4 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17*
  • Util - Srixon ZXU 18* on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX4 4 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 5 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 (6-PW) on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50* mid Zipcore, Callaway MD5 54*, Cleveland Zipcore 60* Mid all on Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66 (Testing Odyssey V Line Tank @ 39" with split hands)
  • Ball - TP5 or Srixon Z Star 
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a fitting scheduled next week with CC.  My best local options are TrueSpec, Golf Galaxy, and CC.  My local GG is terrible and TrueSpec does not carry the same amount of heads as CC so I don't mind paying $150 to demo everything under the sun.  

 

Anybody know if they are flexible (open to negotiation) on their pricing?

I have 14 clubs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 3M Open - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #1
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #2
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #3
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #4
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #5
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #6
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #7
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #8
       
      2021 3M Open - Wednesday #1
      2021 3M Open - Wednesday #2
      2021 3M Open - Wednesday #3
      2021 3M Open - Wednesday #4
      2021 3M Open - Wednesday #5
       
       
       
      TaylorMade MG3 wedges - 2021 3M Open
      Mizuno 225 2 iron - 2021 3M Open
      TaylorMade Mini Driver - 2021 3M Open
      Scotty Cameron putters - 2021 3M Open
      New Odyssey putter cover - 2021 3M Open
      Bettinardi wedges - 2021 3M Open
      Rypstick training aid - 2021 3M Open
      Bettinardi putters and covers - 2021 3M Open
      Kuch putting right armlock - 2021 3M Open
       
       
       
       
       
       
        • Like
      • 15 replies
    • 2021 TPC Colorado Champ. @ Heron Lakes WITB Photos- Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here...
       
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #1
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #2
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #3
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #4
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #5
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #6
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #7
       
      Titleist T200 2& 3 irons - 2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes
       

       

       
      • 16 replies
    • 2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos- Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here.
       
      2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #1
      2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #2
      2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #3
      2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #4
      2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #5
       
      Cameron putters - 2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic
       

       
       
       
       
      • 15 replies
    • 2021 Travelers Championship - Discussion & Links
      2021 Titleist T100 irons (in hand photos) - Travelers Championship
      2021 Titleist T100S irons (in hand photos) - Travelers Championship
      2021 Titleist U 505 (in hand photos) - Travelers Championship
      Mitsubishi Tensei K series (red, white & blue US Open) shaft - 2021 Travelers Championship
       
      Rickie Fowler's custom Cameron putters - 2021 Travelers Championship
      Scotty Cameron putters - 2021 Travelers Championship
       
      2021 Travelers Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Travelers Championship - Tuesday #2
       
      • 20 replies
    • Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Discussion and Links
      Please put any question or comments here.
       
      Links to the galleries...
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #1
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #2
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #3
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #4
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #5
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #6
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #7
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #8
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #9
       
      Adam Svensson with new model of Puma golf shoes - 2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry)
       


       
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #1
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #2
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #3
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #4
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #5
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #6
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #7
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #8
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #9
       
      Adam Svensson with new model of Puma golf shoes - 2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry)
       

       
        • Like
      • 4 replies

×
×
  • Create New...