Ping G425 vs 2021 PXG 0211 irons.

Qegurezi

On 5/14/2021 at 7:34 PM, teedub21 said:

A buddy of mine who isn’t a gear ho like I am plays G400 irons. He hit the G425 irons at a Ping demo day at our club and said they felt terrible. 

I hit them the other day and they felt fine. Just like any other G series iron from Ping. 
One of the reasons why the G line is so popular is they improve it incrementally with each new release. Ping tweaks, doesn’t overhaul. 
People who are familiar with the Ping  brand are extremely loyal, because they know what they’re getting when they buy.

Your friend may not have liked the feel, that’s his opinion. Big picture, the G irons are always among the best selling irons for a reason. They’re solid performers.

• Like 2

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

1 hour ago, john myrbch said:

I hit them the other day and they felt fine. Just like any other G series iron from Ping. 
One of the reasons why the G line is so popular is they improve it incrementally with each new release. Ping tweaks, doesn’t overhaul. 
People who are familiar with the Ping  brand are extremely loyal, because they know what they’re getting when they buy.

Your friend may not have liked the feel, that’s his opinion. Big picture, the G irons are always among the best selling irons for a reason. They’re solid performers.

It was just his opinion but an opinion a lot of people seem to share about the G425 irons. I haven’t hit them so couldn’t say for myself. Just was sharing he liked the feel of his G400 irons better. 

9 hours ago, teedub21 said:

It was just his opinion but an opinion a lot of people seem to share about the G425 irons. I haven’t hit them so couldn’t say for myself. Just was sharing he liked the feel of his G400 irons better. 

It may be a difference between indoor and outdoor acoustics. I’ve not had an opportunity to try g425 so I honestly  can’t say one way or the other.

I’m using g410. Previously gamed g25. I tried Callaway CF19 Apex (kbs $). They felt way to clicky to me but many love them. My son (xp95) and brother in law (kbs) both game CF16 and I’ve hit them as well. Neither seem to me too be as clicky as CF19 but both are still clicky to me. 

Tried OG 0211 (19) as well. Great feeling but may be misleading as they are also graphite. As a matter of fact, I could say that they are the best feeling cast clubs I have ever hit. With that said, g410 are still my gamers.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

43 minutes ago, Cwing said:

It may be a difference between indoor and outdoor acoustics. I’ve not had an opportunity to try g425 so I honestly  can’t say one way or the other.

I demo'd the G425 irons outdoors, on grass, and had no issue at all with the feel or sound.  Ordered a set.  With the current delays, who knows when I'll get em, but they're ordered.  I generally play forged irons, so I am no stranger to good sound and feel.  Did not notice anything unusual about the G425, and save for a few negative reports, I've read far more positive or neutral thoughts on their sound and feel. 

I do also have a set of OG 0211 irons, which are great irons, but don't have the best shaft in them for me.  Can't really go wrong with either IMHO.  YMMV.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

22 hours ago, teedub21 said:

If it was “his” opinion, I’d have taken it seriously. In his own words, it was “a friend who isn’t a club ho”. 
I don’t mean to come off harshly, but second hand opinions from people who don’t know much about golf clubs? No thanks, I don’t need them. They aren’t fair to the OEM and offer no value to anyone.

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

• 2 weeks later...

Played nine today with the G425. Distance with these is about the same as the PXG Gen 2 XF irons, not great. The Cobra F9 irons are better for distance. Accuracy goes to the G425 and F9. Feel is very good with all of them. Around the greens the G425 is first, with the F9 close second, and PXG in the back.  Overall the F9 irons are superb, then the G425 for now, with the PXG a distant third. I will play the G425 irons for awhile to see if there are some tweaks to enhance performance. Will go to an RX ball to see if that helps. I never realized just how good the F9 irons are till now. For the price they are great.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

On 6/22/2021 at 9:16 PM, platgof said:

Played nine today with the G425. Distance with these is about the same as the PXG Gen 2 XF irons, not great. The Cobra F9 irons are better for distance. Accuracy goes to the G425 and F9. Feel is very good with all of them. Around the greens the G425 is first, with the F9 close second, and PXG in the back.  Overall the F9 irons are superb, then the G425 for now, with the PXG a distant third. I will play the G425 irons for awhile to see if there are some tweaks to enhance performance. Will go to an RX ball to see if that helps. I never realized just how good the F9 irons are till now. For the price they are great.

How’s the gaping?

How’s the spin? As far as holding greens, which is good, which is better and with is best? 

Edited by Cwing

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I think the F9's hold the greens the best with the PXG and Ping tied next. The Ping does have an advantage in that the face has the wedge grooves.  Gapping is good on all the clubs, no problems that I noticed. Played 18 today with the G425 and shot 84. The 9 iron is really good at chips, and pitches are nice with the U wedge. The PXG lacked the feel needed around the greens, not the F9, but I give the Ping high marks for greenside control, and this is huge for me. I had some issues with tight lies and the U wedge. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

9 hours ago, platgof said:

I think the F9's hold the greens the best with the PXG and Ping tied next. The Ping does have an advantage in that the face has the wedge grooves.  Gapping is good on all the clubs, no problems that I noticed. Played 18 today with the G425 and shot 84. The 9 iron is really good at chips, and pitches are nice with the U wedge. The PXG lacked the feel needed around the greens, not the F9, but I give the Ping high marks for greenside control, and this is huge for me. I had some issues with tight lies and the U wedge. 

Nice update.

I’m currently playing blue dot g410 5-U in DG105s. I also have the ‘19 0211 from a trade. Sadly, the shafts dont seem to work well for me in the 0211.  80 grams just doesn’t seem to work well. 

I’m striking the ball well (for me) at the moment after adding some S&T principles to eliminate the sway. It’s improving my contact to the point that I may need flatter lies but it’s too soon to tell. 

For many years, I’ve mostly used PING irons (G25 to G410) with some Callaway thrown in.

Assuming I don’t simply adjust the G410 lies or change out the ‘19 0211 shafts, I have both a Callaway rep buddy and a Cobra/Puma rep buddy so Cobra and Callaway would be on the radar if I switch. The ‘21 pxg 0211 are also a consideration given their current price point as would be G425. 

I really miss outdoor demo days. 

Edited by Cwing

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Here’s a comparison of G425 and 0211 2021 DC. I switched to the PXG mostly due to the need for graphite for sore wrists and elbows. The Pings were fine, for me the PXGs feel better, maybe the shaft. I did go 2 degrees weak on the PXGs for gapping reasons. At $89 with a quality graphite shaft, it was an easy decision for me. 

F986E81E-40C6-4FF0-AB16-1D9057657450.jpeg

152319D9-D722-4D47-9B07-323D1B4EFE69.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I know I’m a little late to the party.  Got the Ping 425 with Alta CB stiff when they came out played 150 rds with them. Now I have played the PXG 0021 xcore MMT 80g stiff played around 90 rounds the past year.  I recently switched out the PXG back to Ping 425 just to see the difference . I have to say that  PXG for me were far better. Looks, Sound, feel, distance.  All better.  both irons were set at the same lofts and PXG was still getting 5-7 yards farther for me.  Did I mention got the PXG for almost half the price as the PING. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kirk michael said:

I know I’m a little late to the party.  Got the Ping 425 with Alta CB stiff when they came out played 150 rds with them. Now I have played the PXG 0021 xcore MMT 80g stiff played around 90 rounds the past year.  I recently switched out the PXG back to Ping 425 just to see the difference . I have to say that  PXG for me were far better. Looks, Sound, feel, distance.  All better.  both irons were set at the same lofts and PXG was still getting 5-7 yards farther for me.  Did I mention got the PXG for almost half the price as the PING. 

Which version of the 0211 do you have?  0211, 0211 DC or 0211 Xcor2?

I have gamed 2 sets of G425 irons, one retro spec lofts and normal lofts right now and have tried all 3 generations of 0211s and I find the G425's to be a much easier iron to hit, higher launch, higher spin, etc.

having said that I am a low swing speed player.  70 mph 7i with 140 carry so that could have something to do wit it.

also the PXGs are 2* stronger and 1/2" longer shaft wise.  so iron for iron its not really a fair comparison.  When I had the PXG's I expected the 28* 37.5" 7i to go about 145 and it did.  so if their lofts were equal the distance would pretty much be the same between the sets.  

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

3 hours ago, erock9174 said:

Which version of the 0211 do you have?  0211, 0211 DC or 0211 Xcor2?

I have gamed 2 sets of G425 irons, one retro spec lofts and normal lofts right now and have tried all 3 generations of 0211s and I find the G425's to be a much easier iron to hit, higher launch, higher spin, etc.

having said that I am a low swing speed player.  70 mph 7i with 140 carry so that could have something to do wit it.

also the PXGs are 2* stronger and 1/2" longer shaft wise.  so iron for iron its not really a fair comparison.  When I had the PXG's I expected the 28* 37.5" 7i to go about 145 and it did.  so if their lofts were equal the distance would pretty much be the same between the sets.  

Xcore2  with the same exact specs as the ping standard. (30° 7 iron) same length shafts.  On trackman I avg. longer with the PXG with better dispersion.  I love the ping  but for me PXG was far better. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Feelingofgreatness said:

The fact you can get MMT shafts (included) in the 0211 is a massive bonus. These are one of the very best graphite iron shafts, IMO, far superior than Pings ALTA CB offering in the irons.

I really wish more manufacturers would start including better graphite shafts in irons.

MMT shaft is, in my opinion the difference in the PING 425 vs. PXG xcore2.  I would be intrigued to try them in the pings 

I played Ping G700's, sold them because I hated the feel and sound. I demoed the Ping G425's and G430's before giving the PXG 0211DC a try. For me - no contest. The PXG looked better, felt better, and performed better (for me). I ordered my PXG's 1/2" shorter and 1 degree weak. I'm not sure what would kick these out of my bag - they check all the right boxes (again - for me).

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Feelingofgreatness said:

The fact you can get MMT shafts (included) in the 0211 is a massive bonus. These are one of the very best graphite iron shafts, IMO, far superior than Pings ALTA CB offering in the irons.

I really wish more manufacturers would start including better graphite shafts in irons.

Not sure why PXG seems to only have the MMT 80, not the 90, 95 or 105 and up. Not sure if their fitting carts have the heavier options.

Mizuno has the MMT 85 and 105, as well as Recoil 95, as no up-charge. That does make a difference, but 80g is too light for many of us.

2 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Not sure why PXG seems to only have the MMT 80, not the 90, 95 or 105 and up. Not sure if their fitting carts have the heavier options.

Mizuno has the MMT 85 and 105, as well as Recoil 95, as no up-charge. That does make a difference, but 80g is too light for many of us.

Parallel tip.

They have the 90 if you ask.

All the other heavier models are taper tip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Feelingofgreatness said:

Parallel tip.

They have the 90 if you ask.

All the other heavier models are taper tip.

Gotcha, thx.