Ping G425 vs 2021 PXG 0211 irons.

On 5/14/2021 at 7:34 PM, teedub21 said:

A buddy of mine who isn’t a gear ho like I am plays G400 irons. He hit the G425 irons at a Ping demo day at our club and said they felt terrible. 

I hit them the other day and they felt fine. Just like any other G series iron from Ping. 
One of the reasons why the G line is so popular is they improve it incrementally with each new release. Ping tweaks, doesn’t overhaul. 
People who are familiar with the Ping  brand are extremely loyal, because they know what they’re getting when they buy.

Your friend may not have liked the feel, that’s his opinion. Big picture, the G irons are always among the best selling irons for a reason. They’re solid performers.

• Like 2

Cobra Speedzone Extreme 10.5* 

Taylormade M6 15* & 18*

Callaway Super Hybrid 20*

Callaway Rogue X 5-AW

Titleist Vokey SM7 52F & 58M

YES! Tracy

Sun Mountain 2.5+

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kind of funny because I currently play the Mizuno JPX 900 HM and they have been a great iron fitted with the Modus 105 stiff.   Then I thought I'd chase more distance and got the Ping G425 a

I hit both and went with the 0211. I also hit the elevate 95 and the MMT 80g Stiff. Ended up with MMT but the elevate was really nice and smooth. Had some elbow and back injuries so I’m switching to g

P-ping’s X- ex  G-guys   The old ping guys work at PXG now, right down the road.  I believe that the PXG build quality is better than Ping at the moment. Yes, there is a price for

Posted Images

1 hour ago, john myrbch said:

I hit them the other day and they felt fine. Just like any other G series iron from Ping. 
One of the reasons why the G line is so popular is they improve it incrementally with each new release. Ping tweaks, doesn’t overhaul. 
People who are familiar with the Ping  brand are extremely loyal, because they know what they’re getting when they buy.

Your friend may not have liked the feel, that’s his opinion. Big picture, the G irons are always among the best selling irons for a reason. They’re solid performers.

It was just his opinion but an opinion a lot of people seem to share about the G425 irons. I haven’t hit them so couldn’t say for myself. Just was sharing he liked the feel of his G400 irons better. 

9 hours ago, teedub21 said:

It was just his opinion but an opinion a lot of people seem to share about the G425 irons. I haven’t hit them so couldn’t say for myself. Just was sharing he liked the feel of his G400 irons better. 

It may be a difference between indoor and outdoor acoustics. I’ve not had an opportunity to try g425 so I honestly  can’t say one way or the other.

I’m using g410. Previously gamed g25. I tried Callaway CF19 Apex (kbs $). They felt way to clicky to me but many love them. My son (xp95) and brother in law (kbs) both game CF16 and I’ve hit them as well. Neither seem to me too be as clicky as CF19 but both are still clicky to me. 

Tried OG 0211 (19) as well. Great feeling but may be misleading as they are also graphite. As a matter of fact, I could say that they are the best feeling cast clubs I have ever hit. With that said, g410 are still my gamers.

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5” vs Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* w/ Rogue Max
TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos 
TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven TU, Seemore si3, si5, Directed Force Reno, PING Ketsch
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Shot Scope V3

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

43 minutes ago, Cwing said:

It may be a difference between indoor and outdoor acoustics. I’ve not had an opportunity to try g425 so I honestly  can’t say one way or the other.

I demo'd the G425 irons outdoors, on grass, and had no issue at all with the feel or sound.  Ordered a set.  With the current delays, who knows when I'll get em, but they're ordered.  I generally play forged irons, so I am no stranger to good sound and feel.  Did not notice anything unusual about the G425, and save for a few negative reports, I've read far more positive or neutral thoughts on their sound and feel. 

I do also have a set of OG 0211 irons, which are great irons, but don't have the best shaft in them for me.  Can't really go wrong with either IMHO.  YMMV.

Ping G410 Plus 9* Driver, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60 S

Callaway Epic and Epic Flash 5 and 7 Woods, Accra FX 2.0 200F M3

Srixon Z H85 4 Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.0

Mizuno JPX 919 Forged Irons 5-GW, UST Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland RTX Zipcore SW (54*/10) and LW (58*/10), TT DG Spinner Wedge

Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter

22 hours ago, teedub21 said:

If it was “his” opinion, I’d have taken it seriously. In his own words, it was “a friend who isn’t a club ho”. 
I don’t mean to come off harshly, but second hand opinions from people who don’t know much about golf clubs? No thanks, I don’t need them. They aren’t fair to the OEM and offer no value to anyone.

Cobra Speedzone Extreme 10.5* 

Taylormade M6 15* & 18*

Callaway Super Hybrid 20*

Callaway Rogue X 5-AW

Titleist Vokey SM7 52F & 58M

YES! Tracy

Sun Mountain 2.5+

• 2 weeks later...

Played nine today with the G425. Distance with these is about the same as the PXG Gen 2 XF irons, not great. The Cobra F9 irons are better for distance. Accuracy goes to the G425 and F9. Feel is very good with all of them. Around the greens the G425 is first, with the F9 close second, and PXG in the back.  Overall the F9 irons are superb, then the G425 for now, with the PXG a distant third. I will play the G425 irons for awhile to see if there are some tweaks to enhance performance. Will go to an RX ball to see if that helps. I never realized just how good the F9 irons are till now. For the price they are great.

Ping G Max 10.5

TM Sim Max 5 wd  

TM Sim Max 7 wd

Ping G410 4, 5, & 6 hy

Cobra F9 6-pw

Ping Glide 50* gw

MD5 54* 10ss

Toulon Columbus 

On 6/22/2021 at 9:16 PM, platgof said:

Played nine today with the G425. Distance with these is about the same as the PXG Gen 2 XF irons, not great. The Cobra F9 irons are better for distance. Accuracy goes to the G425 and F9. Feel is very good with all of them. Around the greens the G425 is first, with the F9 close second, and PXG in the back.  Overall the F9 irons are superb, then the G425 for now, with the PXG a distant third. I will play the G425 irons for awhile to see if there are some tweaks to enhance performance. Will go to an RX ball to see if that helps. I never realized just how good the F9 irons are till now. For the price they are great.

How’s the gaping?

How’s the spin? As far as holding greens, which is good, which is better and with is best? 

Edited by Cwing

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5” vs Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* w/ Rogue Max
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven TU, Seemore si3, si5, Directed Force Reno, PING Ketsch

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I think the F9's hold the greens the best with the PXG and Ping tied next. The Ping does have an advantage in that the face has the wedge grooves.  Gapping is good on all the clubs, no problems that I noticed. Played 18 today with the G425 and shot 84. The 9 iron is really good at chips, and pitches are nice with the U wedge. The PXG lacked the feel needed around the greens, not the F9, but I give the Ping high marks for greenside control, and this is huge for me. I had some issues with tight lies and the U wedge. 

Ping G Max 10.5

TM Sim Max 5 wd  

TM Sim Max 7 wd

Ping G410 4, 5, & 6 hy

Cobra F9 6-pw

Ping Glide 50* gw

MD5 54* 10ss

Toulon Columbus 

9 hours ago, platgof said:

I think the F9's hold the greens the best with the PXG and Ping tied next. The Ping does have an advantage in that the face has the wedge grooves.  Gapping is good on all the clubs, no problems that I noticed. Played 18 today with the G425 and shot 84. The 9 iron is really good at chips, and pitches are nice with the U wedge. The PXG lacked the feel needed around the greens, not the F9, but I give the Ping high marks for greenside control, and this is huge for me. I had some issues with tight lies and the U wedge. 

Nice update.

I’m currently playing blue dot g410 5-U in DG105s. I also have the ‘19 0211 from a trade. Sadly, the shafts dont seem to work well for me in the 0211.  80 grams just doesn’t seem to work well. 

I’m striking the ball well (for me) at the moment after adding some S&T principles to eliminate the sway. It’s improving my contact to the point that I may need flatter lies but it’s too soon to tell. 

For many years, I’ve mostly used PING irons (G25 to G410) with some Callaway thrown in.

Assuming I don’t simply adjust the G410 lies or change out the ‘19 0211 shafts, I have both a Callaway rep buddy and a Cobra/Puma rep buddy so Cobra and Callaway would be on the radar if I switch. The ‘21 pxg 0211 are also a consideration given their current price point as would be G425. 

I really miss outdoor demo days. 

Edited by Cwing

PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Here’s a comparison of G425 and 0211 2021 DC. I switched to the PXG mostly due to the need for graphite for sore wrists and elbows. The Pings were fine, for me the PXGs feel better, maybe the shaft. I did go 2 degrees weak on the PXGs for gapping reasons. At $89 with a quality graphite shaft, it was an easy decision for me. 

F986E81E-40C6-4FF0-AB16-1D9057657450.jpeg

152319D9-D722-4D47-9B07-323D1B4EFE69.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...