Advice on Online Instruction

I am looking for an instructor on-line.  I have worked with some instructors near me and just haven't quite clicked yet.  Any recommendations or general advice? 

I reached out to Shauheen N but he isn't really taking new students for one offs or series of lessons.  

FWIW, I am a 3 index though when I played I was as low as +3 and played in multiple USGA events.  I think I know what my issues are (generally) but need a good set of eyes to confirm and help me with a plan of action.  I'm not sure if I will return to competitive play but I'm tired of being a chop.

Thanks in advance.

Had a reason to get a youtube post on part of a online lesson from Dan.    He is charging a bargain rate of $50 via skillest.    Monte has posted snippets of lessons on his instagram - but also does online live via facetime/zoom - imo a better option than sending in a video.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

5 hours ago, glk said:

Had a reason to get a youtube post on part of a online lesson from Dan.    He is charging a bargain rate of $50 via skillest.    Monte has posted snippets of lessons on his instagram - but also does online live via facetime/zoom - imo a better option than sending in a video.

that you in the video lesson?

1 minute ago, Redjeep83 said:

that you in the video lesson?

Nope

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Try Jason Nickol on Skillest.  He's giving free lessons for the next couple of months and is being mentored by Shauheen.  He got back to me in an hour and not only gave me swing tips, but also looked up my home course and told me what to use off of the tee based on Decade mythology.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 75g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue TX 88g - 41 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

26 minutes ago, BigManSlim said:

Giving a highly rated local guy another shot this afternoon before diving into the online.  I just wonder about the efficacy of online although I am fine with the delivery mechanism.

Just depends on how good your local people are. In person with a really good local person is best but I'd rather do virtual with someone really good than in person with someone decent.

There are lots of really crappy golf instructors out there. Especially as someone who has played in USGA events, you obviously can golf very well so it's a bit higher stakes than like Joe 15 handicap. 

The hard part with doing online is they can tell you what you need to do but it may not click for you or you might not understand how to do, so it takes a bit more persistence compared to in person where they can literally force you to do it and feel it. I do all my stuff online and that has been the hardest part for me personally. They can tell me what I need to fix and how to do it but it's hard to translate that into actually doing it. So there's like two levels of detail to fixing it, of 1) identifying what you need to do and then 2) how its going to feel to actually do that vs in person where you can basically do this simultaneously.  

Took lesson and issues were quite clear. Lack of hip rotation through the ball leads we to some flipping at impact.  Thus inconsistency of strike due to said flipping.  So while it was identified fairly quickly (and honestly not the least bit surprising) I'm still unclear how to clean it up though I was given a few drills to work on. FWIW here are screenshots of a KVest session I did a while back that identified the same:

No Hip Speed relative to Pros:

Pelvis.png.a533c77414e640fe94c863c966c673ec.png

Hips at IMPACT are a disaster. 

977069067_AtImpact.png.92fac57de960a4680f1b17a98fe619a9.png

So will be working on hip rotation through impact.

Just now, BigManSlim said:

Took lesson and issues were quite clear. Lack of hip rotation through the ball leads we to some flipping at impact.  Thus inconsistency of strike due to said flipping.  So while it was identified fairly quickly (and honestly not the least bit surprising) I'm still unclear how to clean it up though I was given a few drills to work on. FWIW here are screenshots of a KVest session I did a while back that identified the same:

No Hip Speed relative to Pros:

Pelvis.png.a533c77414e640fe94c863c966c673ec.png

Hips at IMPACT are a disaster. 

977069067_AtImpact.png.92fac57de960a4680f1b17a98fe619a9.png

So will be working on hip rotation through impact.

There is a reason why your hips stall - did the instructor explain it to you?    Sounds like he might not have if you are unclear as to how said drills will improve your swing.    Lessons I have taken from Dan and Monte had a video review of the motion issues I had and how they affected my swing - and a discussion/demo of the new motion I needed to make - including helping me through them with and without aids and getting me to perform the motion successfully at least at slow speed etc.    I have not left a lesson without understand what the issue was, what the improvement was, and doing the new motion and how to train it.

• Like 1

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

Lots of good instructors offer online instruction. However, I’ve yet to see anyone significant and permanently benefit from online lessons. They can tell you what you need to do. But taking the instruction and doing on your own is very challenging. It’s like watching YouTube instruction and trying to implement in your own swing. Doesn’t work. 

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

On 5/17/2021 at 3:30 PM, glk said:

There is a reason why your hips stall - did the instructor explain it to you?    

No unclear. I believe I know but was not clear in the lesson.  

Think I'm making progress on it but haven't played on the golf course with it yet (other than 4 or 5 holes the other afternoon).  Playing tomorrow.

Decided to give Dan a try and sent him my swings the other evening.  Will update after I get a response. Felt for $50 it was worth a shot.

1 hour ago, BigManSlim said:

No unclear. I believe I know but was not clear in the lesson.  

Think I'm making progress on it but haven't played on the golf course with it yet (other than 4 or 5 holes the other afternoon).  Playing tomorrow.

Decided to give Dan a try and sent him my swings the other evening.  Will update after I get a response. Felt for $50 it was worth a shot.

look forward to hearing your thoughts on this. the guy I have had lessons with for the last year is super busy and zero times available. so been thinking more about the online lessons.

I'm relatively new to this forum though I've lurked. Is there a forum on WRX for Goals/Challenges type of thing? Sort of a blog thread to track results and what you are working on, etc. I'm thinking of something like Poker Goals and Challenges forum on Two Plus Two that allows for this sort of thing.

Couldn't find anything like that on WRX.  

TIA

On 5/20/2021 at 1:34 PM, Priceyd said:

look forward to hearing your thoughts on this. the guy I have had lessons with for the last year is super busy and zero times available. so been thinking more about the online lessons.

Dan got back to me in the 48 hr window that was promised. The video was helpful. I would say it was roughly 10-11 mins with 2-3 mins addressing the issue that I have, 2-3 minutes contrasting that to a player that doesn't have the issue I have and then ~5 minutes on drills and feelings I should use to ingrain the move he wants me to work on.  Very clear and concise with the appropriate level of detail and direction.

For $50 it was a worthwhile investment. My plan is to work on the drills for 2-3 weeks and then send him an updated video to see how the progress looks.  I recommend it.  It's different than a traditional lesson in the sense that the back and forth with the instructor isn't really there but that's ok.  It can be valuable I think particularly if you are a better player and can follow his thought process/terminology.

1 minute ago, BigManSlim said:

Dan got back to me in the 48 hr window that was promised. The video was helpful. I would say it was roughly 10-11 mins with 2-3 mins addressing the issue that I have, 2-3 minutes contrasting that to a player that doesn't have the issue I have and then ~5 minutes on drills and feelings I should use to ingrain the move he wants me to work on.  Very clear and concise with the appropriate level of detail and direction.

For $50 it was a worthwhile investment. My plan is to work on the drills for 2-3 weeks and then send him an updated video to see how the progress looks.  I recommend it.  It's different than a traditional lesson in the sense that the back and forth with the instructor isn't really there but that's ok.  It can be valuable I think particularly if you are a better player and can follow his thought process/terminology.

Dan is very open to questions and short vids showing you doing drill to insure you understand and are executing well - heads off issues with investing time but not understanding completely - yes, lack of immediate feedback is the main drawback of video lessons.   Have no idea if Dan is open to lessons via FaceTime/zoom. But would expect if he did he would charge more.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

55 minutes ago, BigManSlim said:

Can I ask, what videos did you send? I'm always confused about whether they should be swings on the course, swings on the range, swings indoors with a ball, swings indoors without a ball, drill positions (anywhere)? I'm sure everyone is different but I always ask myself (when considering submitting an online video): "Self, what kind of video should I submit?". I can wrap my head around one FO, one DTL, but am unsure of the rest.

Thanks in advance, to you or anyone else, for some insight.

Harry Redknapp on signing good-looking Portuguese winger Dani, he told reporters:

"My missus fancies him. Even I don't know whether to play him or f**k him."

5 minutes ago, nlk10010 said:

Can I ask, what videos did you send? I'm always confused about whether they should be swings on the course, swings on the range, swings indoors with a ball, swings indoors without a ball, drill positions (anywhere)? I'm sure everyone is different but I always ask myself (when considering submitting an online video): "Self, what kind of video should I submit?". I can wrap my head around one FO, one DTL, but am unsure of the rest.

Honestly I was 99% sure I knew the issue I wasn't as sure about the why or the fix.  So I just sent him a face on from the range hitting a ball.  I think FO hitting a ball and DTL hitting a ball are sufficient to send particularly initially.  Don't send not hitting a ball as it's just not the same.

50 minutes ago, nlk10010 said:

DTL and FO, hitting the ball. Range or course