Advice on Online Instruction

2 hours ago, pinhigh27 said:

DTL and FO, hitting the ball. Range or course 

Yea, I tried from the course but the instructor admonished me (well, he was actually nice about it) that he needed a steady image so I should try to use a tripod. Kinda tough on the go so the range seems to be the best option. Here there are only mats in stalls so you can't get the whole FO but I'll do the best I can, mats give a deceiving ball flight (fat shots are disguised) but I don't think that plays into the analysis.

Thanks.

Harry Redknapp on signing good-looking Portuguese winger Dani, he told reporters:

"My missus fancies him. Even I don't know whether to play him or f**k him."

You can buy clips that hold your phone, which you can put on a driveway marker so you can record your swing by yourself and have it stay steady. Theres one on amazon called selfie golf. It's like 30 bucks which is pricey for a piece of plastic but if you keep this in your bag with a driveway marker you can always record yourself

https://www.amazon.com/SelfieGolf-Golf-Swing-Phone-Holder/dp/B07BMK5YH1

• Like 2

Since there doesn't seem to be a blog type section I'll just post about my improvement plan here a la BigTerp's Swing Journey. Happy to move to appropriate place if I am just missing it. 

Handful of 2021 rounds so this data is just a nothing sample size.  Nevertheless the data is consistent generally with my last few summers in the sense that driving and Medium/long approach are lacking while  I get better the closer I get to the hole. Thus the work with an instructor.

Plan is to continue to work on:

1) Swing mechanics

2) Mobility (particularly hip, ankles and shoulder)

3) General fitness levels

I have specific actions for each of those if anyone is interested.

LFG

SG 5-24.png

22 hours ago, BigManSlim said:

Dan got back to me in the 48 hr window that was promised. The video was helpful. I would say it was roughly 10-11 mins with 2-3 mins addressing the issue that I have, 2-3 minutes contrasting that to a player that doesn't have the issue I have and then ~5 minutes on drills and feelings I should use to ingrain the move he wants me to work on.  Very clear and concise with the appropriate level of detail and direction.

For $50 it was a worthwhile investment. My plan is to work on the drills for 2-3 weeks and then send him an updated video to see how the progress looks.  I recommend it.  It's different than a traditional lesson in the sense that the back and forth with the instructor isn't really there but that's ok.  It can be valuable I think particularly if you are a better player and can follow his thought process/terminology.

Appreciate the feedback, I had a fitting yesterday so now I know its not the clubs, and getting to see my swings on trackman for 90 minutes felt great, been working on inside to out and most of the time i was so just club face need to work on closing it at impact. I ave a tripod i bought and a net in the garden, reached out to couple local instructors to see if can fit me in but if not ill be giving this a method appreciate the in depth review 

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm about 2 weeks out from the online lesson feedback I got from Dan. There is no question that he identified the issue and gave me drills to address the shortcoming. However, I have not seen it translate very well on the range or the course. Not Dan's issue...think it is a me issue. So I've tried to give a different local instructor a shot. I hate bouncing around from instructor to instructor but in this case it's less about diagnosis and more about ingraining the appropriate movement patterns.

2 minutes ago, BigManSlim said:

So I'm about 2 weeks out from the online lesson feedback I got from Dan. There is no question that he identified the issue and gave me drills to address the shortcoming. However, I have not seen it translate very well on the range or the course. Not Dan's issue...think it is a me issue. So I've tried to give a different local instructor a shot. I hate bouncing around from instructor to instructor but in this case it's less about diagnosis and more about ingraining the appropriate movement patterns.

Two weeks?    Go back to Dan not someone new.   Two weeks is nothing.

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

1 minute ago, glk said:

Two weeks?    Go back to Dan not someone new.   Two weeks is nothing.

I just think I need feedback IRL.  This was my perceived limitation with online lessons and I need someone to get me in the positions I need to be in. I also am very detail oriented and like to ask about the TM data, etc. and get feedback on that.

2 minutes ago, BigManSlim said:

I just think I need feedback IRL.  This was my perceived limitation with online lessons and I need someone to get me in the positions I need to be in. I also am very detail oriented and like to ask about the TM data, etc. and get feedback on that.

So email Dan.    send him a video asking if you what you are doing as a drill is correct.  see if you can call him or facetime.   You are making a motion change - TM has zero to do with that.    Jumping instructors is a good way to never get better.

Edited by glk

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

After flaming out and spending a good chunk on in person lessons, I am going the online route this time.  Online may not be for every one but I like the cost, videos and the flexibility it offers.  

What's the difference really?  If you take an in person lesson and don't work on it, its the same as taking an online lesson and not working on it.   Minus the above

17 hours ago, chrisf60526 said:

After flaming out and spending a good chunk on in person lessons, I am going the online route this time.  Online may not be for every one but I like the cost, videos and the flexibility it offers.  

What's the difference really?  If you take an in person lesson and don't work on it, its the same as taking an online lesson and not working on it.   Minus the above

Sure if you don't follow through it doesn't really matter. I know it was only one online lesson but I think the dynamic of back and forth conversation works better for me. When I played my best (+3) I was going to a Top 100 teacher 4-5 times per season and working on specific things, coming back, checking on progress and really nailing that down.  Could certainly work online just not sure my brain would work as efficiently in that process

The best instructor I ever had (and still do) is one that is very hands on. He would physically correct my body angles through every phase of my swing while standing right next to or behind me.

Best of luck with online lessons but I strongly recommend finding a real life instructor you feel comfortable enough with to really fix your swing.

4 hours ago, BigManSlim said:

Sure if you don't follow through it doesn't really matter. I know it was only one online lesson but I think the dynamic of back and forth conversation works better for me. When I played my best (+3) I was going to a Top 100 teacher 4-5 times per season and working on specific things, coming back, checking on progress and really nailing that down.  Could certainly work online just not sure my brain would work as efficiently in that process

Online isn't all that bad really for just general information. Years back I went to some really respected instructors for in person lessons and tbh, nothing really stuck that I was taught. It does get you more focused on improving though.

You hear these instructors talk and they themselves admittedly never had in person lessons that helped much. To me so much of improving the swing is self discovery and you can't learn that from someone else. You can get general information but applying it is very individual and requires self discovery.

On 6/9/2021 at 11:42 AM, BigManSlim said:

If real time feedback is what you need, you should consider Monte's Game Improvement Plan - it is a cost effective way to do check-ins on how the swing is going. You can send him swings 1-2 times a week on what you are working on from your video or Factime lesson, and he'll check in on how you are doing. That seems like what you are looking for. That being said, agree with what folks here have said - if you feel like Dan is in touch with what you need to work on, 2 weeks is an awful short amount of time to let change set it.

1 hour ago, dcl5dcl5 said:

If real time feedback is what you need, you should consider Monte's Game Improvement Plan - it is a cost effective way to do check-ins on how the swing is going. You can send him swings 1-2 times a week on what you are working on from your video or Factime lesson, and he'll check in on how you are doing. That seems like what you are looking for. That being said, agree with what folks here have said - if you feel like Dan is in touch with what you need to work on, 2 weeks is an awful short amount of time to let change set it.

I agree. But a drawback of either online approach is you may need someone beside you to physically help you make the movement change in the beginning so you can begin to groove it on your own time.  That first one can be tough or tricky through any sort of online platform even if you’re doing a “live online” lesson.

• Like 1

I would say that an online lesson can be as good as a physical lesson provided that you get a clear instruction what to work on: drills with a feedback mechanism. The feedback mechanism is either a physical barrier  or relentlessly using mirrors and videos to see if you get it right. Thinking that you do something correctly and actually doing it correctly are very often not the same thing. Hours and hours of stick drills and still taking the club inside and flat in a real swing. Finally, I now get it but you really have to put the work in.

By the way: I also recommend Dan C. Very generous with his time and replies, even years after I first met him!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BigManSlim said:

Do you know what your ideal swing looks like? Or a model swing you want to copy?Different teachers will want their students doing things slightly differently, I’d be worried you’ll get caught in between methods. 

16 hours ago, mulliganman30 said:

I agree. But a drawback of either online approach is you may need someone beside you to physically help you make the movement change in the beginning so you can begin to groove it on your own time.  That first one can be tough or tricky through any sort of online platform even if you’re doing a “live online” lesson.

That's my takeaway at the moment. The guy I saw yesterday came highly recommended by some guys who I have seen improvement from and I know he has a stable of VERY good local HS and College players.  I thought the time we spent was very fruitful and I am anxious to spend some time with the drills, etc. I walked away from.

I am not discounting online lessons at all. To the contrary I think it can be beneficial for many. I just think my brain needs to see TM data, talk through stuff real time, let him get me in the right positions to feel it, etc. 

FWIW my plan is to work on these items for a week, go back and see him in about 10 days, rinse and repeat. Once I have some of these preliminary issues behind me, I will probably reduce frequency considerably.

My goal is to play competitively again next year with a fairly full schedule. It will take time.

1 minute ago, BigManSlim said:

FWIW my plan is to work on these items for a week, go back and see him in about 10 days, rinse and repeat. Once I have some of these preliminary issues behind me, I will probably reduce frequency considerably.

My goal is to play competitively again next year with a fairly full schedule. It will take time.

I would be a bit hesitant about scheduling visits every 10 days.   IMO you need more time working on things on your own before going back for follow ups.

1 minute ago, mulliganman30 said:

I would be a bit hesitant about scheduling visits every 10 days.   IMO you need more time working on things on your own before going back for follow ups.

Might give it a bit more time. But I'm only thinking shorter term for the first 2 or 3 visits. Got a few issues that need to be broken down in chunks I think. 

FWIW I'll prob get 5-7 hours on the range in the next week.

11 hours ago, BigManSlim said:

Might give it a bit more time. But I'm only thinking shorter term for the first 2 or 3 visits. Got a few issues that need to be broken down in chunks I think. 

FWIW I'll prob get 5-7 hours on the range in the next week.

It’s your money but I really think you’ve got the wrong approach.  You shouldn’t be working on “a few issues” at a time.    It takes PGA tour players quite a while just to make one change.  It’s fine to get a breakdown of the most pressing issues but that can done in one lesson.   But you should work on the most pressing issue identified by the instructor and plan on spending a significant amount of time working on it (think way beyond a couple weeks).

And if you are trying to get better, you need to be thinking and taking a long term approach instead of a short term approach.   

On 6/11/2021 at 11:10 PM, mulliganman30 said:

It’s your money but I really think you’ve got the wrong approach.  You shouldn’t be working on “a few issues” at a time.

And if you are trying to get better, you need to be thinking and taking a long term approach instead of a short term approach.   

Never said working on a few issues at a time.  I agree it takes a while. The few issues I referenced are largely interrelated tho.  

Anyway I have a very firm plan of attack in place and now it's just about executing it.

• Like 1

Had my first live lesson with the new instructor a week ago.  Working on getting the club closer to my body through impact. Also have some drills to work on without a club in hand.

Have hit balls 4x since then and am absolutely thrilled with the irons in particular. Hitting them flush and in the center of the face far more often. Started hitting 1/2 shots and then moved up to full shots. Irons are absolutely pure.

Has not yet translated as well to the tee ball though. But to be honest I haven't spent as much time working on those. Just trying to drill the move into my swing through primarily mid irons.

Still working out pretty hard.  I do a variant of 5/3/1 lifting where I hit bench, squat, OH press and Deads over a 4 week stretch. I also add in a ton of mobility and some explosive exercises.

This week, for example:

Monday: 15 mins mobility

Tues: 15 mins mobility, Bench

1x5 135

1x5 185

1x3 205

1x3 215

2x3 225

2x8 135

Also do medicine ball slams, curls and skullcrushers

Hit in afternoon for about 1 hour

Wed: 15 min mobility, 5x20 pushups, 5x20 air squats

Hit in afternoon for 1 hour

Thurs: 15 min mobility, Deadlifts

1x5 135

1x5 185

1x5 225

3x3 275

I usually only do 1 exercise on DL day during the golf season.

I likely will not hit today

Tomorrow I will do arms and OH Press and then Sat I'll do Squats. Mobility is Every. Single. Day. I will hit balls both days.

I don't try to lift super heavy during season either. So basically for 6 months I will lift very heavy (for me) and then for 6 months I probably don't go beyond 85% of my 1RM (maybe once or twice a summer I'll push it)

Edited by BigManSlim

On 5/24/2021 at 4:13 PM, pinhigh27 said:

You can buy clips that hold your phone, which you can put on a driveway marker so you can record your swing by yourself and have it stay steady. Theres one on amazon called selfie golf. It's like 30 bucks which is pricey for a piece of plastic but if you keep this in your bag with a driveway marker you can always record yourself

https://www.amazon.com/SelfieGolf-Golf-Swing-Phone-Holder/dp/B07BMK5YH1

Here's one I bought and really like for slightly under $10.

I've had it for almost two years. It's durable and really flexible about how you can use it -  front camera, rear camera, portrait, landscape, any angle.  It's worth checking out.

https://www.amazon.com/Record-Holder-Training-Alignment-Sticks/dp/B07MGFBWS6/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=ZOEA&qid=1624012572&sr=8-12

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leekgolf said:

Here's one I bought and really like for slightly under $10.

I've had it for almost two years. It's durable and really flexible about how you can use it -  front camera, rear camera, portrait, landscape, any angle.  It's worth checking out.

https://www.amazon.com/Record-Holder-Training-Alignment-Sticks/dp/B07MGFBWS6/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=ZOEA&qid=1624012572&sr=8-12

Thanks...had something like this a couple of years ago and couldn't find it.  Ordering now.

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing to work on my game.  Irons are very solid at the moment. I mostly worked on my game in June only playing 5 times (full rounds...I played a bunch of 3 and 4 holes after practice sessions just to see how what I am working on is going. Driving is still the biggest issue.  However, I think I am turning the corner here and have decided for the moment to just stick to my stock cut off the tee and am not currently working actively on my longer term issues that I think can be better addressed in the off season.  I am worked 2x with my new instructor and feel I'm on the correct path. 

July

Going to play a bit more in July and actually have 2 tournaments I will be playing in.  Will be good to get back under the gun as it has been a while. Don't have much expectation just try and play each shot with proper attention.

1929414_StrokesgainedJune.png.46a2ceeb045244b6740442a3bd977724.png

Edited by BigManSlim

• 4 weeks later...