Bandon Short Loops

spud3

I'll be interested to see if/how much we'll be able to jump around Sheep Ranch a couple years from now when the course isn't as packed. Also, one of these days I'm going to include 11 at Trails in a "short loop" and take the trail all the way back to the clubhouse.

Pacific

8 -- 1-2, 9-11, 5-7

9 -- 1-3, 13-18

9 -- 1-5, 10-11, 6-7

12 -- 1-2, 9-18

Old Mac

10 -- 1-7, 16-18

10 -- 1-3, 12-18

12 -- 1-4, 11-18

Sheep Ranch

9 -- 1-3, 13-18

12 -- 1-7, 10, 15-18

12 -- 1-3, 13-14, 5-11

Edited by jackbauer
  • Like 2

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (35)

Good idea Spud 🙂

Copy paste mine for Bandon short loops and Bandon replay rounds and replay round short loops (gotta get those keywords indexed 😉) from another thread here, which will repeat some of the above in regards to Bandon replay rounds and short loops...

Obviously with the proviso, these are late in the day options and when you wouldn't be cutting in front of or delaying others:

• Bandon - only course with 2 nines coming back to the clubhouse, so just do the front again or if you don't want to do the whole front over again. Once you leave 8th green go back to 4th tee and go around the best 3 hole stretch on property again. Once on the back and if not busy, 17 back to 14 to play the four of the five best holes on the back again.
  • Pacific - 1-6 + 9-11 + 5-6 + 9-11. 5, 10, 11 can be looped ad nauseum. A longer one is 5, 10, 11, 12, 4, 5, 6, 7... The punchline for any Pac loop is you can come in after the 7th hole, so doing stuff down in that corner of holes is the thing and really there are any number of options including holes 4-12. This last trip the group in front went 1-5, 10-18 and we went 1-6, 9-18 because of running up behind two really slow foursomes in the afternoon. It was unfortunate as 7 is a great hole.
  • Old Mac - 5 green to 11th tee is a hop over point. 7th green to 16th tee is a longish hop over point. 9th green back to 7th tee. This last trip we did 1-11, 13, 18, but that was just because of a frost delays really stunting the replay options. You can play the first 10 and then go back over to the 6th tee, if you see groups bunched up ahead on 12/13.
  • Trails - I don't see the point and would never suggest going out on it unless you were pretty confident of getting enough of a traditional round to make it worth your while, but you could do 1-5 + 17-18 or 1-3 + 16-18. Once you tee off on 7 you're pretty much lost to the world until the closing stretch.
  • SR - If it was a members course you could jump around all over the place out there, but as the new belle at the ball it's likely going to be too busy - except on bad weather days and then why be out there. 1-11, 1-13 are the two easy ones and IMHO the two 'best' options as the front 9 is excellent and the back 9 less so. Two other straight forward ones though 1-3, 13-18 | 1-4, 15-18
Edited by duffer987
  • Like 2

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

On Sheep Ranch we played 1-2, 16, 16B, then 13 one evening. 

By 16B I mean from 17th tee box back to 16th green. Right in front of the tree on the left side of 17 tee there’s a small, raised area mown down. This was apparently one of the “members’ holes” back before the full course was built. Make certain there’s no one teeing off on 16, and it’s a really fun hole. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 7:18 PM, jrg75 said:

Not that it's all that significant from some of the others, but with the new Round Lake lodging coming, is Trails 1-6 a new short loop, especially if staying there?   Seems like a fun way to finish a day.

Just added that to my original post.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread. Thank you! In to follow.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

• 6 months later...

Got to play bonus golf at SR with about 1.5 hours of daylight remaining. The staff suggested 1-11 or 1-7,10,11 as short loop options. 11 ends up right at the clubhouse. Given how great the weather was for us, I was amazed that we were the only people doing this.

E1723051-9284-4C23-933F-D5AB37B1785C.jpeg

D| Titleist 975D 9.5* DG S300

3W| Titleist 980F 15* DG S300

5W| Titleist 975F 18.5* DG S300

3-P| MacGregor Muirfield 20th DG X100

SW| Maltby TSW 56* DG X100

LW| Maltby TSW 60* DG S300

P| Ping Anser

Ball| Maxfli Tour S Yellow

• 2 months later...

Its amazing to me that I read about people worried about 36 at Bandon. 36+ is where it's at.

In the summer, the sun rises around 6am and sets around 8:30/9:00. Its impossible to sleep past 630 and impossible to go to bed before 1100. There is nothing more to do than play golf.

The 7pm+ round at Bandon during the summer is pure magic. It's spiritual.  Just a few holes with a few clubs at Bandon or Pac or Trails is so what makes Bandon so special. Can you imagine any other top 100 course where you can just jump on a few holes and play? Its rarely crowded. 

I also think that with the new dinner option at Old Mac coming, the Old Mac night loop will be fantastic. 

12 hours ago, ND2005 said:

Lol, I made it nowhere near 11pm. 

36 holes + casual drinks throughout and then hitting the bar after = early to bed

I’m with you.  The exhaustion I feel after a day at Bandon is on another level, and I’m young! 36 holes in weather, with some drinks and a heavy dinner…lights out at 10.  

• 5 months later...

Headed to Bandon this weekend. On the short loops in the afternoon how easy is it to jump on one? Do you try to look a hole or two back and if there is a gap you go? I certainly don’t want to cut in front of anyone or hold anybody up. Going solo so hopefully that helps. Sorry if this is a dumb question this is my first trip. Thanks. 

Not a dumb question at all.

When you finish your second round, stop at the pro shop and ask which course is most open.  Once you've picked a course, go there and the pro shop guys for that course will be able to steer you in the right direction.   Most of the short loops discussed above start on 1, so you'll have no issues with cutting in front of anyone.  The exception to that is taking one of the loops where you jump into a later set of holes, like 15-18.  There will be lots of folks trying to get their 18 in, and best to avoid getting in their way.  

I have joined another single, pair or threesome to finish out a loop, but I mainly try to stay on the front side loops to avoid any traffic.  PD 1-7 loop is a personal fave. So is BD 1-9.  I have jumped from one course to another, but they tend to frown on that.  Check the maps for each course and you'll see that the loops above are based off an easy access back to the house (e.g., PD#7 green is right by the Punchbowl)

Be prepared to have a marshal checking in on you from time to time as it gets closer to dusk.  They can't go home until everyone is off the course, and they'll give you a GPS bag tag so they know where you are (they do that for all groups/rounds).  They are very accommodating to solo golfers heading out for extra holes (that third round is free, after all).  But they will want to know your plan for making it back before dark.  And it gets very dark very quickly once the sun goes down.  They may offer a ride back to the house if they think you won't make it.

Having said all that, do not pass up the opportunity to go out on one of the courses solo.  It's a sublime golf experience.

8 hours ago, spud3 said:

When you finish your second round, stop at the pro shop and ask which course is most open.  Once you've picked a course, go there and the pro shop guys for that course will be able to steer you in the right direction.   Most of the short loops discussed above start on 1, so you'll have no issues with cutting in front of anyone.  The exception to that is taking one of the loops where you jump into a later set of holes, like 15-18.  There will be lots of folks trying to get their 18 in, and best to avoid getting in their way.  

I have joined another single, pair or threesome to finish out a loop, but I mainly try to stay on the front side loops to avoid any traffic.  PD 1-7 loop is a personal fave. So is BD 1-9.  I have jumped from one course to another, but they tend to frown on that.  Check the maps for each course and you'll see that the loops above are based off an easy access back to the house (e.g., PD#7 green is right by the Punchbowl)

Be prepared to have a marshal checking in on you from time to time as it gets closer to dusk.  They can't go home until everyone is off the course, and they'll give you a GPS bag tag so they know where you are (they do that for all groups/rounds).  They are very accommodating to solo golfers heading out for extra holes (that third round is free, after all).  But they will want to know your plan for making it back before dark.  And it gets very dark very quickly once the sun goes down.  They may offer a ride back to the house if they think you won't make it.

Having said all that, do not pass up the opportunity to go out on one of the courses solo.  It's a sublime golf experience.

I have some afternoon tee times booked so I will start on one but the light will be an issue so I am curious about a few short loops possibly on a back nine. But you are right lots of people will be trying to finish their round. I’ll finish my morning round and see how quickly I can grab a sandwich and tee off on another course when I get there. Interesting about the gps tags they think of everything there. Thanks for the reply! 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 10:24 PM, spud3 said:

that’s the thing though, at this point the resort is so booked up that the short routes are only available at the twilightest of twilight times, chasing the dark. 

The shortage of rooms for the number of tee times seems to limit the number of short loop players a bit, and I've always been surprised how open the first tees are an hour or so after the last "guaranteed" finish groups take off.  Which I why I lean toward the loops that favor the front side of the courses, like BD 1-9 and PD 1-8.

Plus, since I'm not worrying about finishing anything, I'll take my time on the best stretches of holes; like dropping three or four balls at the corner on BD #4 or even playing BD 4-6 or PD 3-6 twice.  I usually am playing those bonus holes with a half set in a light carry bag.

Once you know the places to jump, you can get really creative and not run into another soul.  Decisions are also somewhat dependent on whether you're going for one of the iconic sunset holes, like BD 16.  Lots of folks trying for that one, and it's worthwhile (@Edaw and I sat on the bench at 17 and watched the sun set with a couple flasks).  And then you've got just enough time to finish 18 before it's too dark to see your hand in front of your face.

I did get lucky one year and ended up on Trails and was able to play the whole course solo, just finishing out as dusk was getting serious.  I had a marshal tagging along and checking in every three holes or so, so I know I was the only one out there.  Trails solo is so Zen, it's almost spooky.  It's already isolating even when it's full, but when there's no one out there (and you know it), it's other-worldly...

• Like 2

Have an 11:10 Sunday at Pacific and wanted to play golf until dark then catch the end of the Super Bowl. Everything is booked solid to try and move courses to get in an earlier round. Been checking for days now. Guess I’ll see when I’m there if anyone drops out earlier or pay a replay rate somewhere for a couple of hours of golf in the nice weather. Maybe some folks will head in and watch the Super Bowl but I’m not counting on it since the weather is supposed to be nice. If all else fails I can hit the Punch Bowl with a beverage or two. 

On 2/9/2023 at 8:23 AM, TexasTitleistUser said:

Have an 11:10 Sunday at Pacific and wanted to play golf until dark then catch the end of the Super Bowl. Everything is booked solid to try and move courses to get in an earlier round. Been checking for days now. Guess I’ll see when I’m there if anyone drops out earlier or pay a replay rate somewhere for a couple of hours of golf in the nice weather. Maybe some folks will head in and watch the Super Bowl but I’m not counting on it since the weather is supposed to be nice. If all else fails I can hit the Punch Bowl with a beverage or two. 

Something I’ve noticed is more late afternoon rounds get cancelled and open up like day off. A lot of people plan 36 a day for multiple days and don’t realize the physical toll it takes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mallrat said:

Something I’ve noticed is more late afternoon rounds get cancelled and open up like day off. A lot of people plan 36 a day for multiple days and don’t realize the physical toll it takes. 

This, and a lot of people actually just no show it, so they're still on the tee sheet but not there.  Even if the pro shop says there aren't any official openings, look around near the shops/first tees of the courses and see if it seems open, then ask.  I've had  this happen at both Trails and Old Mac.  The oceanside courses tend to be more in demand for late replays.

• 8 months later...
On 2/8/2023 at 11:59 PM, spud3 said:

The shortage of rooms for the number of tee times seems to limit the number of short loop players a bit, and I've always been surprised how open the first tees are an hour or so after the last "guaranteed" finish groups take off.  Which I why I lean toward the loops that favor the front side of the courses, like BD 1-9 and PD 1-8.

Plus, since I'm not worrying about finishing anything, I'll take my time on the best stretches of holes; like dropping three or four balls at the corner on BD #4 or even playing BD 4-6 or PD 3-6 twice.  I usually am playing those bonus holes with a half set in a light carry bag.

Once you know the places to jump, you can get really creative and not run into another soul.  Decisions are also somewhat dependent on whether you're going for one of the iconic sunset holes, like BD 16.  Lots of folks trying for that one, and it's worthwhile (@Edaw and I sat on the bench at 17 and watched the sun set with a couple flasks).  And then you've got just enough time to finish 18 before it's too dark to see your hand in front of your face.

I did get lucky one year and ended up on Trails and was able to play the whole course solo, just finishing out as dusk was getting serious.  I had a marshal tagging along and checking in every three holes or so, so I know I was the only one out there.  Trails solo is so Zen, it's almost spooky.  It's already isolating even when it's full, but when there's no one out there (and you know it), it's other-worldly...

We played trials as first off as a twosome what an experience. Didn't see another person other than the guy I was playing with till 16 (saw people on 3 and 4). The hike up to 14 sucked though (truck wasn't there yet) 

Edited by oneunderbogey
  • Like 1

@oneunderbogey @spud3 Haha, I experienced the walk from 13 green to 14 tee for the first time in April, except my friend and I were the last group on the course (third round of the day) and the truck had already left.

• Sad 1

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (35)

• 5 months later...

I have my trip to Bandon coming up and we won’t be able to get 36 in one day, so I’m planning to play a short loop at either Sheep or Old Mac. 

What would people recommend between Sheep 1-11 or Old Mac 1-10?

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* |  Ventus Blue Velo 6S

TaylorMade Stealth+ 3W   | Ventus Blue Velo 7S

Titleist TSR3 5W | Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist TSR2 4H  |  Graphite Design AD-DI 85S

Titleist T150 5 - GW | Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105X

TaylorMade MG3 54*  58* | Dynamic Gold S400

TaylorMade Spider GT Notchback

Titleist Pro V1 | Srixon Z-Star Diamond