2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Playing in Sunglasses

I’ve attempted playing with shades a couple times(squinting and nearing middle age has made sunshine more bothersome) but find the obstruction on my face a bit unnerving and distracting. Does it take long to adjust, and are the darker/shaded areas of some courses problematic with them on? I want an all or nothing type day, no flipping them up or taking them off intermittently. Suggestions?

Edited by A.Princey

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I would suggest not using polarized sunglasses, for me they throw off the appearance of the course and especially the greens and I've heard commentators on PGA Live discussing the same thing.  Maybe just try some inexpensive gas station sunglasses that aren't too dark as an experiment to see how you get on.  It's certainly possible to play a full round in sunglasses, just look at Phil lately, or Duval, or many others.  I would think that once you've had them on and adjusted to them, being in the shade won't cause any difficulties.  Just try to hit it down the middle and you really have nothing to worry about 😝

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

6 minutes ago, A.Princey said:

I’ve attempted playing with shades a couple times(squinting and nearing middle age has made sunshine more bothersome) but find the obstruction on my face a bit unnerving and distracting. Does it take long to adjust, and are the darker/shaded areas of some courses problematic with them on? I’m want an all or nothing type day, no flipping them up or taking them off intermittently. Suggestions?

I started wearing them several years ago and I don't think I could play in sunny conditions without wearing sunglasses. It didn't take but one or two rounds for me to adjust. Take the time to find a pair that fits well. 

• Like 4

I don't wear them personally, which kinda sucks because the sun and glare can be an issue, but I don't like to see the bottom frame when I look down at the ball, so I'm looking for a decent pair to try that have a frameless bottom edge. I think a comfortable pair of lightweight sunglasses would likely be ideal.

I've heard the red/pink tint are great for golf and help to show slopes on the greens but I haven't been able to find a cheap pair to try out yet. 

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

I started golf playing with them so I'm used to it. I actually cant play without them on when it's sunny outside as everything is too bright and the squinting is worse than wearing them. I also wear polarized ones and dont have an issue.

I would rather not burn out my retinas than save 3 strokes or whatnot.

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

I wore them for years with out a problem. I recently stopped wearing them because of the ridiculous tan lines they left on my face.  I started where i would only wear them on the front then take them off for the back hoping to get rid of those tan lines. Now i cant play at all wearing sunglasses. So they get left in the truck when i get to the course. Its actually not that bad after your eyes have adjusted to the brightness. 

I occasionally wore my normal use Ray Bans but because they were a little loose fitting, they'd sometimes fly off on my drives so I wanted to look for something with more stability. Bought the Oakley Flak 2.0, Asian Fit, and they fit snug on my face and don't move around at all. 

I think the care for wanting to protect your eyes from the Sun will out-weight the little discomfort you will feel on your face and then after a few rounds you will get used to it and won't feel like it's there. 

2 hours ago, kmay__ said:

I don't wear them personally, which kinda sucks because the sun and glare can be an issue, but I don't like to see the bottom frame when I look down at the ball, so I'm looking for a decent pair to try that have a frameless bottom edge. I think a comfortable pair of lightweight sunglasses would likely be ideal.

I've heard the red/pink tint are great for golf and help to show slopes on the greens but I haven't been able to find a cheap pair to try out yet. 

Check out Henrik Stensons Brand, they have some models that might suit you. Not cheap though

Edited by Bunkersarebigcups

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I wear glasses when I play cause if I don't the entire course is blurry and I don't know where I'm going so the darkness from sunglasses isn't an issue unless it gets dark and I don't have my regular glasses which may have happened a few times. 

Honestly for me it's not that bad, my options are blurry vision that's nice and bright or clear vision with some darkness, I don't believe mine are polarized so I don't really have depth perception issues on the green, but I've used them so much I could adapt to it.  

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I wear them but I also wear regular glasses all the time too. Even when golfing. So my prescription sunglasses and my prescription everyday glasses are the same to me... I generally play early in the morning or later in the day, and at some point, I end up with having to switch between the sunglasses and my regular ones. Sunglasses are polarized and I've had no issues. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

Check out Henrik Stensons Brand, they have some models that might suit you. Not cheap though

I've checked them out before they make some nice stuff, love the tortoise shell for casual. I think I'm gonna order a pair of Sundogs, they've got their rose colored true blue lens which should be similar to the oakley prism idea. Only 70 bucks cad and free shipping.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

I do. I put them on top of my hat until I need them. I think part of why I have the vision issues I do today is because I always played as a kid without them. I think I looked into the sun for too long/too much.

I use the Oakley Prizms. They're not so dark that you can't figure out what's going on. Now, when I have them on, I actually forget that I'm wearing them pretty often.

• Thanks 1

Did it for many years.  Decided to play without them last year.  I can see so much better and green reading has become easier as well.  Wish I would've started a long time ago.  I still put them on between shots though . 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I grew up wearing sunglasses anytime I was outside.  I learned to play golf in sunglasses on sunny days.  Have always used Oakley personally, they are light and stay put on my face.  At this point the brand loyalty is habit, I'm very certain there are comparable brands out there. 

Been using an "XL" lens in whatever the current frame was at the time (Half Jackets, Flak Jackets, Flak Jacket 2.0).  The XL fits my cheek well and does not let a ton of light through the bottom.  Currently use the Dark Golf Prizm lens, but have used Smoke or Black Iridium in the past as well.  I guess since I grew up on sunglasses, I never really had to "adjust" to them.   

Edited by Hougz79
  • Like 1

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X  /or/  Titleist TSR2 7W 21*, Tensei Black 75X

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

Used to not wear sunglasses when I golfed but I would wear them any other time I was outside. I bought a pair of Oakley Radar Path's with the golf lenses and it changed my opinion on golfing with glasses. I now have several pairs I will wear anytime I pick up a golf club. On super bright days ill wear Oakley Jawbreakers, or EvZero Blades with prizm road lenses, other wise I'm wearing the Radar Path Ev with prizm golf Lenses. The best glasses golf wise in my opinion are the Evzero Blades, they are light and don't have a bulky frame so it feels like you're not wearing glasses at all, just wish they made them with golf lenses. 

real real bad at golf

Wear them when playing but tend to remove when  trying to read the greens... 

Costa's with a polarized lens (green tint). I just made sure they are a snug fit as i have had some others fly off during swing. 

Taylormade Original One 12*

Maltby STi 5W 18*

Cleveland Launcher HB 4H 22*

Ping i500 6/7

Ping Iblade 7-PW

Mizuno JPX 919F GW 51*

Ping Anser SW 56*

PING Glide 3.0 Eye 2 LW 60*

Custom Odyssey 5 Copper  

I wear sun glasses if it is sunny out.  I prefer lenses that aren't too dark.  Typically I wear Ray Ban Justin's in Brown or aviators.  I'm not a big fan of athletic style sunglasses - prefer classics.  

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

I started wearing sunglasses a few years ago. Polarized or non polarized doesn't seem to matter (for me anyway). I take them off, to be polite, when meeting people on the first tee and at the end of the round, but it was easy to adapt to wearing them. 

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

I think some lightly tinted blue blockers might be the ticket, fairly large in profile so that the peripheral transition isn't too visible. We shall see. Hmmmmmm?

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I wear polarized Oakleys just about every day (if it's sunny) while NOT golfing.

I play golf about 95% of the time with Oakley Prizm Golf lenses and NOT polarized lenses. Polarized cut the glare and on the course, it was messing with my head a little. the grass and slopes looked off. 

Unless we're dew sweeping in the early AM or it's a late dusk with a few holes left, i'm almost always wearing them. even in overcast.

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

11 minutes ago, Yanki01 said:

I wear polarized Oakleys just about every day (if it's sunny) while NOT golfing.

I play golf about 95% of the time with Oakley Prizm Golf lenses and NOT polarized lenses. Polarized cut the glare and on the course, it was messing with my head a little. the grass and slopes looked off. 

Unless we're dew sweeping in the early AM or it's a late dusk with a few holes left, i'm almost always wearing them. even in overcast.

IIRC the Oakley advertising suggests that polarized glasses cut glare (as you mentioned) but do nothing to enhance contrast.

Oakley's golf prizms are specifically made to enhance contrast so one can see the subtleties of the differences in slopes and contours; supposedly allowing players (especially) to better read greens.

I have 3 pair. And the Oakleys I have are rimless towards the bottom so no thick rims to annoy a player while looking down at the ball.

To those who wear polarized and don't notice any difference, how would you notice a difference unless you switch 'em while looking at the same "scene" to see if the polarization helps or hurts your game ?

FWIW I have been wearing Oakleys for quite a while now.

And protection from the sun is a MUST. 👍

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X