Playing in Sunglasses

7 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

IIRC the Oakley advertising suggests that polarized glasses cut glare (as you mentioned) but do nothing to enhance contrast.

Oakley's golf prizms are specifically made to enhance contrast so one can see the subtleties of the differences in slopes and contours; supposedly allowing players (especially) to better read greens.

I have 3 pair. And the Oakleys I have are rimless towards the bottom so no thick rims to annoy a player while looking down at the ball.

To those who wear polarized and don't notice any difference, how would you notice a difference unless you switch 'em while looking at the same "scene" to see if the polarization helps or hurts your game ?

FWIW I have been wearing Oakleys for quite a while now.

And protection from the sun is a MUST. 👍

same here. been wearing Oakleys for a long time. I wear Flak 2.0 XL on and off the course, due to their variety of different lenses they offered for the frame. plus it's lightweight. I cannot stand regular lenses while driving, especially in the bright sun.

I tried my Polarized lenses on the course many years ago and DID NOT like it one bit. i never wore sunglasses again until Oakley came out with their G30 golf lenses for the Flak Jacket (or Fast Jackets). that's when i started wearing them again on the course. really like the contrast it gives and have no issue reading the green with them.

• Thanks 1

915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110
714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Bought these in a 3pk as a super cheap experiment, will update when I get the results after several rounds with them. Safety glasses too, nonetheless, ha! I wonder how long I can go before someone asks if I like U2 a bit much? Lol

image.jpeg.fa814feccaa8b7221dcac28b6aab8dcf.jpeg

• Haha 1

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Cally Rogue X 18.5* 4i, Diamana 70 S, 39.75"

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5"

Vokey SM8 54.14F(2*weak), 60.10S(4*weak)

"Rusty" Byron DH89 Slant Pipe // Byron GSS DH89 Long Slant // GOAT NP2 Tiger Putter

• 2 weeks later...

Well, they worked really well, albeit a little less stylish than most shades. The orange was great for creating vibrant greens and improving contrast tremendously. There was just enough total visible light blockage to make them great in full sun or full shade, never had to remove them once. I’ve since purchased some “real” shades that are similar in makeup but more functional outside of workshop/shooting range. The ESS Crossbow with copper lenses. These have a very similar effect, just less orange color shift and slightly more light blockage overall.

image.png.7b56932dafb5d080ee10790d565858d3.png

"Rusty" Byron DH89 Slant Pipe // Byron GSS DH89 Long Slant // GOAT NP2 Tiger Putter

Also, FWIW, I don’t think I’ll play without shades ever again, unless it’s completely cloudy. Even then, a lesser tinted lens would still greatly improve object clarity and contrast. I wish I’d experimented many years sooner!

Posted (edited)

I’ve had this pair of “M” Oakley’s since I had lasik eye surgery back in 1998

The surgery made my eyes more sensitive to the sun, so this was my solution for golf

E04A8F48-DEC4-4DF9-B213-ECF8064C9444.jpeg

Edited by Cruisin1966
  • Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS @ 9º w/ Tensei Pro White 1K 50x

Fairway: Callaway Epic Max 3W @ 15º w/ MMT 70s

Fairway: Callaway Epic Max Heavenwood @ 20º w/ MMT 80s

Irons: Callaway Apex TCB 4-A w/ Catalyst 100 6.0

Wedges: Callaway JAWS Forged 56º/60º w/ True Temper S200

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

I had a pair of Oakley Vectors, looked cool but they had a negative effect on my game. 

Titleist TS2 10.5* Driver

Titleist TS2 13.5* Fairway

Titleist TS2 16.5* Fairway

Titleist 716 T-MB 3-4 irons

Titleist 660 5-9 irons

Vokey SM7 Tour Chrome 48* Wedge

Vokey SM Oil Can 54* & 60* Wedges

Scotty Cameron Tour Newport Putter

▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

1 hour ago, Cruisin1966 said:

I’ve had this pair of “M” Oakley’s since I had lasik eye surgery back in 1998

The surgery made my eyes more sensitive to the sun, so this was my solution for golf

E04A8F48-DEC4-4DF9-B213-ECF8064C9444.jpeg

That's very true, especially in the early days after Lasik.

I confess I don't remember when I started wearing sunglasses while playing golf but it certainly could have been back then (2000 for me). I can recall my eyes always being "tired" after golf.

But I lived in NY back then and the sun just isn't as strong up there most of the year.

I really started paying attention when I moved to Florida in '09 and again when I started going to SE Asia ('12) and playing golf there as well.

Much more time playing in the sun - and much stronger sun as well. That's when I got myself 3 pairs of Oakley Prism Golf as well as a couple pair of regular Oakley to wear outside while not playing golf.

Our bodies need sunshine. Our eyes ? Not. 👍

• Thanks 1

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Hzrdus Yellow HC 6.0 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrids 17*, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Cally PM Grind 56 KBS Tour 115

Odyssey V-Line (Today)

Titleist ProV1 (Yellow)

The constant squinting definitely pays a toll on oneself, very tiring. I’d usually develop a dull headache after a round and this is the likely culprit.

1 hour ago, A.Princey said:

The constant squinting definitely pays a toll on oneself, very tiring. I’d usually develop a dull headache after a round and this is the likely culprit.

Why are you squinting ?

Is your vision impaired ?

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Odyssey V-Line (Today)

Titleist ProV1 (Yellow)

49 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Why are you squinting ?

Is your vision impaired ?

The sun. In order to keep my eyelids fully open as I would normally while wide awake, my cheeks and brows “squint” to reduce the incoming light. I’m in my my mid 30’s and pupil dilation definitely starts dropping off. My older bro swears by sunglasses outside all the time, to keep his eyes from hurting. Age is a huge factor in this. 

I have worn prescription glasses since I was about 10 years old, tried prescription sunglasses a few times when I was in my 20-30s but it never seemed right.  About 15 years ago I moved to New Mexico, and the sun and the glare was brutal.  I decided to try them again, and found some that worked.  My prescription is pretty bad, so I can't wear the wrap around style, I go with a classic Ray-Ban pair, and a pair of Maui Jim's in a similar style.   I also wear progressive lenses, on my newer pair I had them made as bifocals with the reading part as low as possible.  I wasn't sure this would work but the eye doctor said give it a try, and after about 2 times out with them I didn't even notice.  The tint he recommended was a bit lighter too, almost a rose color, something he said he uses for guys who do competitive shooting, it works well.

• Like 1

WITB
TaylorMade Sim 2 9 degrees, HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0
Ping G410 LST 3W Tensei CK Orange 70 S
TaylorMade P790 UDI, Recoil 95 F4
Srixon Z585 4-9 Modus 3 105 S
Cleveland CBX 2 46, 52(bent strong), 54, CBX full-Face 58, all DG 115 W
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Special Select 34 in

Srixon Z Star XV

On 5/19/2021 at 10:17 PM, A.Princey said:

The sun. In order to keep my eyelids fully open as I would normally while wide awake, my cheeks and brows “squint” to reduce the incoming light. I’m in my my mid 30’s and pupil dilation definitely starts dropping off. My older bro swears by sunglasses outside all the time, to keep his eyes from hurting. Age is a huge factor in this. 

I'm a few years older than you but not 40 quite yet, and I believe this to be true. I used to play without shades all the time, and on a whim picked up Oakleys with Prizms a few years back. Eventually I found lenses I liked better but I cannot go without them now. Even casually outside mid day can be difficult. If you want to look into shades that cover the whole eye and don't restrict vision without being huge and looking like Duval in his prime have a look at any of the Oakley Flak Jackets. You might end up looking like a typical softball coach dad but it's better than nothing.

8 hours ago, Mike_C said:

I have worn prescription glasses since I was about 10 years old, tried prescription sunglasses a few times when I was in my 20-30s but it never seemed right.  About 15 years ago I moved to New Mexico, and the sun and the glare was brutal.  I decided to try them again, and found some that worked.  My prescription is pretty bad, so I can't wear the wrap around style, I go with a classic Ray-Ban pair, and a pair of Maui Jim's in a similar style.   I also wear progressive lenses, on my newer pair I had them made as bifocals with the reading part as low as possible.  I wasn't sure this would work but the eye doctor said give it a try, and after about 2 times out with them I didn't even notice.  The tint he recommended was a bit lighter too, almost a rose color, something he said he uses for guys who do competitive shooting, it works well.

L-a-s-i-k 👍

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Odyssey V-Line (Today)

Titleist ProV1 (Yellow)

I can’t play without sunglasses. Don’t find any issues reading greens with polarized lenses. 
Have previously owned Oakley and Maui Jim’s, but have found Kaenon to be the best for me. Great lenses with stylish frames; can wear on and off the course.

Callaway Mavrik SZ/Mavrik 10.5 degree with VA Composites Nemesys 55R/VA Composites 54R

Callaway Mavrik SZ/Mavrik 16.5 degree with VA Composites Nemesys 65R/VA Composites 64R

Callaway Mavrik Pro 20 degree/Ping G410 19 degree with GD Tour AD HY 75R/VA Composites Raijin 84R

Ping I210 (4-UW/4-PW; red dot) with Aerotech Steelfiber I95 R/Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105R

Ping Glide Forged wedges (54/58; orange dot)/Ping Glide 3.0 (50/54/58; orange dot) with Aerotech Steelfiber I95 R/NS Pro Modus 3 105R

Piretti Savona Elite Black Special Edition 34"/Piretti Teramo Classic 34"

Srixon Z Star

On 5/22/2021 at 1:37 PM, PingBoy63 said:

I can’t play without sunglasses. Don’t find any issues reading greens with polarized lenses. 
Have previously owned Oakley and Maui Jim’s, but have found Kaenon to be the best for me. Great lenses with stylish frames; can wear on and off the course.

On 5/22/2021 at 1:42 PM, MTgolfer said:

I can hardly be outside without sunglasses, so wearing them for golf is a given. I’ve had multiple brands, but mostly stick to Ray-Ban. I’ve used both polarized and non-polarized and don’t really see a difference in green reading. 

Golf is a plethora of little differences that we don't realize or can't feel that MAKE a difference.

Your drive didn't draw like you wanted because your grip was a tiny bit weaker than it should be or your path wasn't quite from the inside. Do we recognize these things ? Usually not.

Point is, others have done the scientific measuring for us and concluded that polarization, while it's great for cutting glare, doesn't do anything to enhance slopes and contours, especially around the green. So Oakley has made golf specific lenses. NON-polarized of course.

True ? Not true ? Who knows ?  shrug.gif

I can misread a 4 footer with or without my Oakleys. chuckling.gif

But I still use 'em.   :classic_biggrin:

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Odyssey V-Line (Today)

Titleist ProV1 (Yellow)

After I had cataract surgery, I found that my eyes were extremely sensitive to sunlight so started wearing sunglasses.  I think I now own like 15 pair.  What did not work for me was polarized lenses.  And the color that works best for me is amber.  Most of my sunglasses have interchangeable lenses.  The case I keep hanging off my golf bag has both light and dark amber lenses in it so I can switch if necessary depending upon amount of sunlight and time of day. 

On 5/22/2021 at 4:34 PM, j-rob said:

Anyone know what model Phil was wearing today? Looked to be rimless.

Really liked the look. 

Wish I knew this as well. Some sort of rimless aviator? Have heard he has been wearing Mykita but I can’t find a model that matches so don’t think that was it. 

1 minute ago, KParks said:

Wish I knew this as well. Some sort of rimless aviator? Have heard he has been wearing Mykita but I can’t find a model that matches so don’t think that was it. 

Same here. Cant find the model on their site. Also read somewhere that they were ic Berlin?? Cant find them there either. 

With as much tv coverage as they’re getting, a definitive answer must be coming soon. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, j-rob said:

Same here. Cant find the model on their site. Also read somewhere that they were ic Berlin?? Cant find them there either. 

With as much tv coverage as they’re getting, a definitive answer must be coming soon. 

Maybe the ic Berlin “i see 2020”?

Closest I’ve found so far but I’m really bad at figuring these things out. 

On 5/6/2021 at 7:59 AM, kmay__ said:

I don't wear them personally, which kinda sucks because the sun and glare can be an issue, but I don't like to see the bottom frame when I look down at the ball, so I'm looking for a decent pair to try that have a frameless bottom edge. I think a comfortable pair of lightweight sunglasses would likely be ideal.

I've heard the red/pink tint are great for golf and help to show slopes on the greens but I haven't been able to find a cheap pair to try out yet. 

This is my issue, I also don’t like to see the bottom frame of the glasses, I do now wear the half jacket style that are just the frameless lens on the bottom despite looking a bit goofy. I find glasses really help with allergies as well as protecting the eye

• Like 1

Titleist 915 D2
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping G25 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
Vokey 52-08 sm4
Vokey 56-14 sm6
Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler3 said:

This is my issue, I also don’t like to see the bottom frame of the glasses, I do now wear the half jacket style that are just the frameless lens on the bottom despite looking a bit goofy. I find glasses really help with allergies as well as protecting the eye

Although there are some Oakleys with rims to the bottom, I think most of the Oakley lines are rimless (towards the bottom).

I have a couple of pair of full wrap arounds and a single pair of half jackets, all 3 with golf prizm lenses, that I rotate.

As an aside I noticed Kevin Streelman using his sunglasses OFF the green but taking them off for putting.

Think I'm going to give that a try (I've tried most everything else LOL).

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Odyssey V-Line (Today)

Titleist ProV1 (Yellow)