Generation 3 P790 in 2021?

Jaysakic19

TXG review will be my first video tuesday.

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9* (10*), Accra TZ6/M5 72g X

CALLAWAY Apex UW 17*, LAGolf Tour Issue Prototype Trono 75x; 19*, 21* Ventus Velocore Red, 8X/9X

PXG GEN4 0311ST, Xtreme Dark, 4 - 9, CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout

PXG GEN4 0311T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - 9, CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout

PXG GEN4 0311XP/GEN0311P, Xtreme Dark, 5 - 6, CT Lite LE Black X/ 7 - 9 CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 56*/10, 60*/7, PX 6.5 Blackout //  CALLAWAY JAWS MD5 Custom Wedges, 54*(55*)/10S, 60*/08C; PX LS 6.5....TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold // SCOTTY CAMERON Santa Fe T3 Custom Antique Copper  .... STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550// Cobalt Q6 Slope

9 hours ago, Copacetic said:

‘if you think the p790 topline is too thick, then they aren’t aimed at your type of golfer’ 

Absolutely this.

I am so sick of seeing some PGA pro reviewer complaining about toplines or offset when reviewing game improvement irons. They aren't meant for you muppet. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Offset numbers look awesome - even less than another players CB that I'm considering. These will 100% be a set I look at in 2022!

Driver: Ping G410 LST 9* with Fuji Atmos Black TS 7X playing at 44" 
3 wood: Taylormade RBZ Tour 14.5 with Tensei CK White 70TX
Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue 11 with Aldila RIP 85X
Irons: New Level 902 5-PW with DG X100, New Level NLU-01 21 degree driving iron Fujikura Atmos Black TS 9X Hybrid shaft
Wedges: New Level M type 50-55-60 
Putter: Cobra Nova 40
Ball: Bridgestone BX / Snell MTBX

2021 P790 Home Run for Taylormade!  

Improved ballspeed, launch height, distance, landing angle

MNG.jpg.8ebbb08dca0747db86879f5e27b588f0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9* (10*), Accra TZ6/M5 72g X

CALLAWAY Apex UW 17*, LAGolf Tour Issue Prototype Trono 75x; 19*, 21* Ventus Velocore Red, 8X/9X

PXG GEN4 0311ST, Xtreme Dark, 4 - 9, CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout

PXG GEN4 0311T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - 9, CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout

PXG GEN4 0311XP/GEN0311P, Xtreme Dark, 5 - 6, CT Lite LE Black X/ 7 - 9 CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 56*/10, 60*/7, PX 6.5 Blackout //  CALLAWAY JAWS MD5 Custom Wedges, 54*(55*)/10S, 60*/08C; PX LS 6.5....TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold // SCOTTY CAMERON Santa Fe T3 Custom Antique Copper  .... STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550// Cobalt Q6 Slope

I think the TM engineers were tasked with differentiating 2021 P790 more from the P770s which meant going more GI.  They widened the topline and made them much higher launching.  Two things higher handicaps want as a general rule.  I take online reviews with a grain of salt but definitely noticeable flight inconsistencies on the trajectory of 2021 vs 2019 as well.  

Personally I prefer the thinner topline, more peircing ball flight and chrome finish of the 2019 version but I'm likely in the minority and these will no doubt be a huge hit for TM especially with higher handicaps which they appear more targetted for than previous generations.  I have two backup sets of 2019 brand new in boxes so I'm good haha!

Edited by MitchCumstein
  • Like 2

"Nice sound"

"Which one (ver) we like the most...Gen 3"...."and we can show some numbers that support our thoughts.."

TXG.jpg.2ee95f2c9a32f942ffed804403464975.jpg

TXG.jpg

Edited by BirdieBob

3 minutes ago, MitchCumstein said:

This is hysterical.  Yeah we like them better but we can't really tell you why.  TXG clearly knows they have to pump it otherwise they fall out of favor with TM.  Total fluff.  

Like all YouTube reviewers. I don’t think anyone has ever produced even a slightly negative review about a club. It’s all about the right fit and shaft, but I doubt this year’s version is any “better” than 2019. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Seidinho said:

Like all YouTube reviewers. I don’t think anyone has ever produced even a slightly negative review about a club. It’s all about the right fit and shaft, but I doubt this year’s version is any “better” than 2019. 

While these YouTube reviews can be informative, they are not much more than entertainment to me. Hopefully you know by now that the improvements (if any) are so marginal from model to model that it probably can't even be quantified on the course. 

Don't forget, TXG is trying to sell clubs too. 

• Like 1

TSi3 TSi3 3 Wood | 818H2 19 T100 4-PW | Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58 | Phantom X11 / DH89 LongNeck

9 minutes ago, JStang said:

While these YouTube reviews can be informative, they are not much more than entertainment to me. Hopefully you know by now that the improvements (if any) are so marginal from model to model that it probably can't even be quantified on the course. 

Don't forget, TXG is trying to sell clubs too. 

Precisely. All of that. And even in the video, Matt was saying he wouldn't drop the cash on these if he had the previous generation.

These are winners for sure though!

Titleist TSi3 9°--Diamana-TB Series, 45.25", 50g S

Titleist 917 F2 15°--Diamana-TB Series, 43", 60g S

Titleist TSi2 18°--Diamana-TB Series, 42.5", 60g S

Titleist TSi2 21° 4H--Graphite Design Tour AD-DI, 85g S, D4 setting

Titleist T200 5-GW--Aerotech Steelfiber 95g S (soft-stepped once), 1° flat

Vokey SM8 Jet Black--52.08 F, 1° flat--True Temper Dynamic Gold S200 Black

Vokey SM8 Tour Chrome--58.12 D, 1° flat--True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

PXG Mini Gunboat--BGT Stability Tour Black--SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Titleist ProV1

10 minutes ago, GolferSim said:

In the TXG Video at 10:36, he just deleted three shots, with a 225 in there which would have bumped up the std deviation by quite a few yards. Think there is still that jumper in there 🙂 

Yeah and rightly so since the height was only 110 feet...probably bladed it...lol

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, MitchCumstein said:

This is hysterical.  Yeah we like them better but we can't really tell you why.  TXG clearly knows they have to pump it otherwise they fall out of favor with TM.  Total fluff.  

To be fair, Matt did say if he was already playing the Gen 2, any improvements he sees in the Gen 3 probably wouldn't be enough to convince him to switch.

• Like 2

Just did the math it will take a total of 20 weeks to get the P770, really frustrating as I can get the P790 almost 2 months faster and they aren't even released. I ordered on June 30th was originally quoted 8/16 now its 11/16 crazy. So all those who are ordering be wary that it will probably shift out exponentially I think this will hurt TM business other manufacturers are way faster so I wonder why they cant get products out the door. I know being a Lefty its already hard to find clubs but this is almost crazy to wait so long for a set that I cant even hit or know I will like.

1 hour ago, MitchCumstein said:

I think the TM engineers were tasked with differentiating 2021 P790 more from the P770s which meant going more GI.  They widened the topline and made them much higher launching.  Two things higher handicaps want as a general rule.  I take online reviews with a grain of salt but definitely noticeable flight inconsistencies on the trajectory of 2021 vs 2019 as well.  

Personally I prefer the thinner topline, more peircing ball flight and chrome finish of the 2019 version but I'm likely in the minority and these will no doubt be a huge hit for TM especially with higher handicaps which they appear more targetted for than previous generations.  I have two backup sets of 2019 brand new in boxes so I'm good haha!

Mitch, you keep finding issues to raise. Just don't buy them. If you do, give us an assessment then. Divining what TM engineers think, and constantly criticizing a product that clearly you do not want is tiresome. Go find those RF Cobra blades and pick on them for having too "wide" a topline and too much "offset". You're a playa, go buy those blades you love and stripe, stop boring us with reviews about something you don't like or want....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2021 at 4:28 PM, Frohlich said:

Everyone knows the best way to evaluate golf clubs is to look at random pictures on the internet and jump to conclusions and make bold and definitive statements about the golf club in question.   Physically seeing them and hitting them is so yesterday.  

If you have to hit the irons before you buy them it’s obvious you don’t know what your doing.  
I just got the launch email and they had me at “New SpeedFoam”. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, jvpark said:

If you have to hit the irons before you buy them it’s obvious you don’t know what your doing.  
I just got the launch email and they had me at “New SpeedFoam”. 

That’s all new speedfoam air

GBB RDX black 
Radspeed 3w-RDX black 
Radspeed 5w-RDX black
F9 21* hybrid - ATMOS black 

F9 24* hybrid Hzrdus smoke 
T200 6-G LZ
MD5 52-56
Toulon Portland Garage 
TM TP5X 

2 hours ago, MitchCumstein said:

On 8/8/2021 at 1:32 AM, MitchCumstein said:

Just watched that Japan video and almost vomited when they compared the toplines of 2019 to 2021.  

Why on earth would Taylormade make the topline so much wider on these?  They look hideous.  I was turned off from the start but once I saw that comparison game over.  

Thank God I stockpiled the 2019 version, they will be cult classics.  

Wow, that’s impressive that in the 3 hours from never even hitting the 2019 version, you had managed to in fact stockpiled them because of the piercing flight they gave you. . How did you manage that, get a lift from Marty McFly?

On 7/8/2021 at 10:34 PM, MitchCumstein said:

I had the original P790s.  Loved the look and feel but had the occasional jumpers at inopportune times that killed me.  I never hit the current generation as a result.  Did they improve on this aspect on Gen2?  If not hoping they've figured it out for Gen3 because the head shape, offset etc has always looked perfect to my eye.  Just need to know I won't carry one 10-15 yards further than normal once or twice a round.   

• Haha 2

looks great but very expensive and out of my price range.

Cobra F9 Speedback driver 10.5
Callaway rogue 3 wood
Callaway rogue 5 wood
Callaway Hawkeye 7 wood.
Taylormade M6 irons 5 to pw,aw, sw, 2 degrees upright +half an inch longer
Callaway  mack daddy cb 60 wedge
Titleist trufeel/Callaway supersoft balls
Odyssey 7s black