Generation 3 P790 in 2021?

Jaysakic19

2 hours ago, Danjorams said:

Good luck with your call...they are closed till Tuesday due to the Labor Day weekend.  On one hand I'm happy for the people who work there they get a 4 day weekend but my selfish side of me says they are customer service based and should be working today...ha

They are replying to emails. No luck trying to swap the shafts. They were willing but it doesn’t do me

any good

IG: instagram.com/launchedgolf                                      

G430 LST Tour 2.0 Black 65X

TSR2+ HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.5                  
UW 19* MMT  (G430 19* Hybrid Kai'li 80X)
'24 Apex 23* MMT 105X

'24 Apex CB 5-11, DGX100

SM9 54/10M
Jaws Full Toe 58*

Ping Redwood Anser (the original Redwood)

On deck: Paradym Super Hybrid 21*, TSR3 24* hybrid, Apex CB 4-11, Apex MB 8-10, Apex Pro 4-6, Apex UT 23*, Apex UW 19*  Something has to fill the gap between that 8-iron and the driver

12 hours ago, Vespar said:

Don't be annoyed, no one is jumping ahead of you. Each & every manufacturer is doing their absolute best to build & deliver clubs with the same quality control.  Several manufactures have opted for a very expensive air freighting to help with demand and shorten lead times cutting into profits deeply.

The trouble is inconsistency in the pipe line of raw materials, such as heads, shaft especially ( more so with stiff and X) and grips. There is even shortages on cardboard and packing material. There is also  a shortage of Containers that sit on freighters ( boats) Add into the fact that there is also a skilled labor shortage. I went to my local high volume Audi dealer for an oil change, guess what they were out of Audi oil filters but had a 3rd party filter and asked me if that was OK?  My wife saw a Q3 the other day in red, I asked about that, the salesmen said oh those are back ordered till next April - hopefully we'll have them. We can take a deposit otherwise we have grey sooner. its crazy

This is not limited to Golf clubs its basically everything, furniture, electronics, trucks, food and autos.  And lets not forget about medical supplies and their delays. The chip shortage also hurts the cost of chips prepandemic were in the 3-5 dollar range now are in the mid to $30 range with further prices out goods such cordless tooth brushes and point and shoot cameras out of reach price wise. The bottom line is don't be in a hurry for anything any more. These delays will improve but not back to consist levels for another year or two. 

Being in the import and logistics with manufactures I can assure you the days of ordering something and getting it in a few days such as golf clubs. Order today and and be playing with them inside of 10 days will be a case of extreme luck in the year ahead.  There are countless stories of people being fitted in April and May from leading manufactures that still have not arrived. 

Take a deep breath, lessen your "its about me and I want X now" and remind yourself its only golf clubs.  Be patient

Not correct, they e-mailed me, directly, that many are jumping ahead as they didn't allocate for the actual special orders, just the stock orders. Why are you telling us and not TM ? And why didn't they say it when we ordered IN JUNE ! U r correct, the clubs are irrelevant, the bait and switch is not. They wanted the hype, the buzz, and they are using it to fuel sales of stock equipment. But they never told the poor fools who hang around sites like this that they would us their enthusiasm, take their orders with promises of "first" delivery and then just whine about the supply chain and inadequate planning. Enough excuses, it's a created cluster and it's about THEM and they got X NOW, our money and loyalty and their misleading marketing. If I did this in my business I'd be unemployed, and u want everyone to believe it's the way things will be. It isn't, and it won't be

Edited by jwb10
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, drscott266 said:

I had a custom ordered set with stock shafts but longer ship from TM thurs, but now FedEx hasn’t shown them move. Figures. 

My set was completed Thursday morning and I had next day air, but they still haven’t been picked up by FedEx, so I’m sure it’ll be Wednesday before I get them. 

32 minutes ago, Bkinder3 said:

My set was completed Thursday morning and I had next day air, but they still haven’t been picked up by FedEx, so I’m sure it’ll be Wednesday before I get them. 

I paid for next day too, got the shipped email and FedEx status still just says picked up since yesterday. Is what it is, was hoping to see it in Memphis at least. 

23 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

First round in the books today! First impressions were very good. For the most part I hit the center of the face today;-). Coming from Ping i210's, about a half to full club longer and a higher flight. Difference between the numbers I believe are the shafts, I play DG120's in the i210's and the 790's are the DG105 w/vss. Feel, they feel so good on well stuck shots, no clickiness like the old models. The 790's shine on miss gits, I hit a couple a little heavy today and the results were shocking, minimal distance loss, other than those I really didn't test the toe too much which is my usual miss. Have another und tomorrow morning and will follow up then! 

Thanks for the update...glad you like them so far...here's to some good rounds in the future. Cheers

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Steelhead said:

How is the MG3, 50º? I usually play the set A wedge...

I hit it a few times before I ordered it and liked the feel of it a lot. I went to the range with it yesterday once I got it with the custom specs. I’ve usually always had a separate gap wedge and since I had some TM store credit, I decided to try the new MG3..definitely has increased backspin.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bkinder3 said:

I hit it a few times before I ordered it and liked the feel of it a lot. I went to the range with it yesterday once I got it with the custom specs. I’ve usually always had a separate gap wedge and since I had some TM store credit, I decided to try the new MG3..definitely has increased backspin.

How’s your perception on the forgiveness of the 50? 

19 minutes ago, Steelhead said:

How’s your perception on the forgiveness of the 50? 

Forgiveness seems to be really good. I tend to hit my wedges center-toe and I didn’t notice any loss of distance. My only “slices” or catching it thin were because of poor swings. Even on Misshits loss of distance was minimal, direction was of course way off lol

Edited by Bkinder3
  • Like 1

So I normally play ZX-7s that were on loan to me from my local store while my actual Zx-7 set was on order (it’s been 4 months). I decided i was going give the p790s go. Wow…coming from Zx-7s which I thought were rocket launchers, these things are super hot. I played a round on the course yesterday and I have some real adjusting to do. These were a club long from the deck as expected but what bit me in the a** was off the tee. For instance, my stock 4 iron shot is 200 yds off the deck with these. Ok, i expected that with these lofts. But on a level 210 yd par 3,  I teed it up expecting to go there or about that distance. Hitting it flush, that sucker flew past the green about 230 yds according to my shotscope watch.

The same happened across the board the rest of the round. The tee shots were almost 2 clubs longer for me, which was throwing me off. I get it, I’m only a 12 handicap so I’m not the model for consistency. However, I never had this issue with the zx-7s or jpxs I played before that. I play with some long hitting single digit handicappers and loved pulling out the same number iron on some of these tees. But I’m still kind of skeptical, as I hope this

wasnt a fluke that round, where tee shots were going almost too far. (I’ve never hit a 230 yd 4 iron in my life btw).

These were super easy to hit, and they felt way softer on course as opposed to hitting it on monitors for some reason. I bought these stock stiff dg 105s. (I historically been fit for c taper lites or modus 120s). I really didn’t want to play the waiting game for irons again, but now might have to look into getting refitted. 

Edited by Genostarrr
  • Like 4

I just got my 4,5 and 6 irons int he P790s to go with my P770s and I absolutely love them!  I played two rounds this weekend with them and the forgiveness is amazing.  I am really glad I upgraded the long irons with these.

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 9* HZRDUS Smoke Red 65S

Taylormade Sim 2 Titanium 3 wood Tensei Blue 75S

Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* HZRDUS Smoke RDX 6.0 70g

Ping i230 Irons 4-UW Dynamic Gold 105 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 56/08 M

Titleist Vokey SM9 60/04 T

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 34" 340g

Beer.

43 minutes ago, TurboFade said:

I just got my 4,5 and 6 irons int he P790s to go with my P770s and I absolutely love them!  I played two rounds this weekend with them and the forgiveness is amazing.  I am really glad I upgraded the long irons with these.

I’m debating this, currently have the p790 19, 4 and 5 iron. What did you do re lofts and shafts?

• Like 1

Tsr2 Kai-li white 60g

tsr2 16.5 tensei av raw white 75g

tsr2 20 degree, tensei av raw white 90g

T200/T150/T100 PX Lz

sm9 54.10S/60.4T

odyssey Toulon Daytona
Pro V1

Took the P790's out for a 5 hole loop yesterday, it didn't go great.  First three shots all happened to be a 6 iron, 1st out of the rough, next two from fairways.  Distance, height and feel were al great on those.  Afterward it was a mixed bag.   I had trouble making solid contact with them, so that part is on me, but I definitely found the littlest miss with them was magnified much more so than my 2021 T300 that I have been playing the past 10 days.    I know that's to be expected, but the difference was glaring.   

Heading into the league playoffs over the next several weeks, so the 790's will probably sit until afterward and then I'll work with them some more. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

3 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Took the P790's out for a 5 hole loop yesterday, it didn't go great.  First three shots all happened to be a 6 iron, 1st out of the rough, next two from fairways.  Distance, height and feel were al great on those.  Afterward it was a mixed bag.   I had trouble making solid contact with them, so that part is on me, but I definitely found the littlest miss with them was magnified much more so than my 2021 T300 that I have been playing the past 10 days.    I know that's to be expected, but the difference was glaring.   

Heading into the league playoffs over the next several weeks, so the 790's will probably sit until afterward and then I'll work with them some more. 

I know the T300s are forgiving but seems most feel the new P790 is pretty forgiving ...What was magnified? Toe, Heel shots, distance control? What shaft did you get? I have not yet played my P790 and chose the TT 95VSS for my aches and pains.

5 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

It's crazy how clubs differ from one person to another. In my 2 rounds I have found them to be incredibly forgiving. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Great feedback but not sure if it is a fair comparison. I would think the SIM max2 iron is closer to the T300 and 790 closer to T200. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Highlander 24 said:

Great feedback but not sure if it is a fair comparison. I would think the SIM max2 iron is closer to the T300 and 790 closer to T200. 

Oh. No doubt. I agree with you 100 %.  I had the SIM2Max earlier this year.   And it would be a great comparison to the T300. 

But I wanted a set that might be at the end of my reach ability wise (P790) just because…….well this is WRX and that’s what we do at times, isn’t it 😂😂

• Like 1

Vokey

2 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

It's crazy how clubs differ from one person to another. In my 2 rounds I have found them to be incredibly forgiving. 

Yes.  They are forgiving I agree.  Just on my time with them yesterday, I didn’t hit them as solidly as I know I can. 

on another note, I just spent 5 hours assisting with a Titleist fitting.   Many players coming through and hitting all the models.   The T200 were the middle child.  By that I mean there were guys who hit it and the T100s and guys who it and the T300.  As expected the T100s guys gushed about the T200 forgiveness and the T200 guys went on about  how forgiving the T300 was on misses.    So yeah.  Forgiveness is definitely relative to the person. 

Vokey

15 hours ago, Copacetic said:

I’m debating this, currently have the p790 19, 4 and 5 iron. What did you do re lofts and shafts?

I just went with a degree despite knowing Taylormade's gradual loft adjustment sheet as they recommended -1 for the 4 iron, -1.5 for the 5 and -2 for the 6.  I wanted my long irons to go just a bit further.  I went with the KBS 120 stiff shafts as I was fitted with those.   

Ping G430 LST 9* HZRDUS Smoke Red 65S

Taylormade Sim 2 Titanium 3 wood Tensei Blue 75S

Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* HZRDUS Smoke RDX 6.0 70g

Ping i230 Irons 4-UW Dynamic Gold 105 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 56/08 M

Titleist Vokey SM9 60/04 T

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 34" 340g

Beer.

My set arrived this morning, so taking them out tomorrow. Played the previous gen a while agk, so I kinda know what to expect. Kinda looking to test these against 921 Hot Metal Pro… based on comparing to the demo 7 iron the soles on P790 are slightly thinner and they are a little slicker looking. Will be curious to hit 7 iron again 7 iron tomorrow, both with DG105 shafts. The HMP’s are legit but I snagged a custom order P790 set with the stock shaft in 3 days from order… lucky DG105 works for me.