2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Generation 3 P790 in 2021?

Jaysakic19

12 minutes ago, JDIL said:

Might have been a little abrasive but yeah that's totally a Fedex thing. When I messed up and mixed the zip code, Fedex couldn't deliver, and TM called me and sorted it all out. They've always been great. I think on this, you were better off calling Fedex than TM. Hopefully you have them by now.

Well yeah two issues. 

TM admitted they screwed up and sent FedEx Ground vs 2 day air and did nothing to attempt to make it right. 

and now its stuck with FedEx in the Mojave desert since Sunday no movement. Still don’t have them. Scheduled for tomorrow delivery but if aren’t in my distribution center area by now I highly doubt I get them tomorrow.

Reached out to FedEx who are useless. sent another message to TM so voice my displeasure with the situation. If they are unreceptive and the order is delayed to next week im just going to reject shipment and move on and chalk up this TM experiment as failed. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JDIL said:

They also might measure it 3/8" shorter than TM as they add that to the ground plane. According to the image in this thread, they measure to the grip end (where the shaft would end) but not the grip cap. TM's illustration shows them measuring to the grip cap. So a grip cap is roughly 1/8" usually? So Mizuno's system may normally be 1/4" shorter.

I read it the other way around for Mizuno as it states the length is the measurement between the end of the shaft and a point which is 3/8" above where many other OEM's would measure from, being the intersection of shaft and grounding line. If it was below then it would shorten it, but above plus a measurement of shaft not grip would surely make it play longer than stated??

14 hours ago, Micrys2 said:

Got the third dreaded email.  Clubs delayer again from 10/4/20 to 10/10, and now to 10/20.   Frustrating when you hear of other preorders where people already have their clubs and have 4 rounds or so with them in the books already.  

Always worth a call to figure out what the hold up is.

I'm sure there is some component (grips or shafts) that is causing the hold up. Just a question of which one and how apt you are to change it (personally I wouldn't mind changing grips but I wouldn't be willing to change out shafts I was fitted for). 

Edited by KParks

21 hours ago, jwb10 said:

bored waiting GIF

Sorry for the delay...well round one went ok as I haven't played in almost 2 weeks. But that's on me...the clubs are easily a club longer for me and I will have to get dialed in. During my round I found at least my 7 iron ( hit the most) was super consistent for length at 170yrds. And the spacing was around 10 -12 yards between clubs. ( I hit the range after my round and hit a small bucket). One thing that surprised me was the launch was higher and also had plenty of spin as I actually spun a few back from about 120 yards. Overall I'm super excited as I believe I will be able to shave a few strokes off my 12 handicap in no time.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jaysakic19 said:

Talked to Taylormade 2 days ago and found out my delivery date had actually been moved up from Oct 20 to Oct 1. My account got charged yesterday. Nippon 950GH NEO shaft. Ordered July 10 for reference.

Not to get your hopes up but....sounds like you may even get them sooner than Oct 1 as they didn't charge my card until the day they went into production.  From there it took about 6 days before they were on my doorstep and I'm in Upstate NY which is a ways from California.  good luck and I hope you get them soon.

Just picked up my set of P790. I have to admit... I am so impressed with the looks of these. They are not chunky and the finish is so sleek. I am quite impressed at the entire aesthetics of the club. They just look all around great. Couldn't be more excited to play them. Coming from i210 and PXG Gen 3. Will report back when after first range session.

Edited by bradleyguye
  • Like 1

My custom order came in a few days after Labor Day as the TM fitter stated when I purchased. I checked L/L specs and they were pretty close.  I had to bend a few no more than 1 degree. They bend relatively easily.    Swing weight was closer to D1 than D3 but I think that is due to 95 gm shafts and midsize grips - added lead tape which I can deal with.  

Played 3 times so far and I am starting to get used to them.  I believe they will work out great.  No crazy distances vs my Miura PP9003 SN I was playing (and kept as backup). No screamers yet.  Plenty of spin based on on-course play w Pro V1x and ZStar golf balls.  

If I was to nitpick, the PW-8i could be a bit sleeker but really not a big thing to me. 

Edited by Galanga

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

I hit my irons a little lower than I'd like. That's on me and my swing. But I recently borrowed an old set of Wilson FG Tour V5s. I'm always fitted into 95 gram'ish reg flex shafts. These were Dynamic Gold S300 shafts, which are 'too stiff and heavy' for me. And I don't know much about those irons, but was told on these forums they are more player than game improvement.

But I launched them beautifully and I think that's due to the 7 iron being 35 loft. Went the same distance as my P790s but it was all carry as the height was great and descent was steep. P790s launch low and roll more for me to hit my distance, but until the 8-9 iron. 

I know these should launch higher, but perhaps I need even just a little more help in the longer irons. Anyone do kind of a mixed weakening of the lofts? Thinking maybe 1.5 or even 2 (maybe that's too much) in the 6-7 iron, .5-1 in the short irons.

Been waffling on ordering a set because the wait time for the shafts (TT Elevate) started long and got longer. They do have the Dynamic Gold 105 vss which TT lists as mid-low launching, but TM says it's mid-high in the reg flex? TT's website doesn't mention VSS either.  Also see a Dynamic Gold 95 vss and wonder how that compares to the Elevate. 

True Temper has such a dearth of info on so many shafts. 

Edited by JDIL

On 9/15/2021 at 10:29 AM, PuttingOnAirs said:

curious, those who have these in hand, what are your distances per iron? Interested in the gapping y'all are seeing.  

I have 3 rds in plus some range time.  I am about a 250 yd driver guy. These are my stock numbers - can go less or more. 

PW- 120

9i - 135

8i - 145

7i - 160

6i - 170

5i - 180

4i - 190

The long irons have more yards in the tank if need be - like off the tee. 

• Thanks 2

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

I’ve been hitting the 21 udi really well, now I have the problem of trying to find room for it in the bag, debating leaving the 19 4 iron at home for next few round, ordered the  21 4 iron today in stock s300 light shaft, which should be almost like a driving iron for me 

Tsr2 Kai-li white 60g

tsr2 16.5 tensei av raw white 75g

tsr2 20 degree, tensei av raw white 90g

T200/T150/T100 PX Lz

sm9 54.10S/60.4T

odyssey Toulon Daytona
Pro V1

11 minutes ago, Copacetic said:

I’ve been hitting the 21 udi really well, now I have the problem of trying to find room for it in the bag, debating leaving the 19 4 iron at home for next few round, ordered the  21 4 iron today in stock s300 light shaft, which should be almost like a driving iron for me 

I was in search for an 18deg 2i/3i and spoke to a TM rep about the difference between the UDI and std 3i head. I was told just he hosel size, .370 in the UDI. Otherwise it's the same head. A bit odd considering the price difference (shaft cost maybe). Your 4i should workout just fine. 

15 minutes ago, Richsgbox said:

I was in search for an 18deg 2i/3i and spoke to a TM rep about the difference between the UDI and std 3i head. I was told just he hosel size, .370 in the UDI. Otherwise it's the same head. A bit odd considering the price difference (shaft cost maybe). Your 4i should workout just fine. 

I picked up the udi for the same price as a single iron, so a wash from that point of view, the shaft is very nice and low ones run much further than equivalent thin 4 iron, I might look to bend it weak to fit it in better instead of a 4 iron also. It’s bad lies in the rough from 220 or so that I want the hybrid for I think, although maybe it’s a summer versus winter thing. There is also the case that I won’t use my 3 wood in most rounds if carrying the udi. Every tee shot becomes driver or udi and par 5 greens are well protected on my course so 250-280 out is a very dangerous shot with 3 wood 

Edited by Copacetic

Tsr2 Kai-li white 60g

T200/T150/T100 PX Lz

sm9 54.10S/60.4T

odyssey Toulon Daytona
Pro V1

On 9/16/2021 at 11:57 AM, Jaysakic19 said:

Talked to Taylormade 2 days ago and found out my delivery date had actually been moved up from Oct 20 to Oct 1. My account got charged yesterday. Nippon 950GH NEO shaft. Ordered July 10 for reference.

WTF, it is this exact shaft that they are indicating is backordered?   This really grinds me.  I don’t know what to believe. 

• Confused 1

On 9/17/2021 at 11:57 AM, bradleyguye said:

Thought about ordering an A wedge to match the set. Anyone use the A wedge? Feedback?

Ordered an A wedge with the 2019 set. Was too hot for my liking, replaced it in the bag with a Vokey. 

• Like 1

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

9 minutes ago, Micrys2 said:

WTF, it is this exact shaft that they are indicating is backordered?   This really grinds me.  I don’t know what to believe. 

Saw my fitter yesterday and he mentioned that Nippon is communicating to expect long delays as they are running out of product. 

• Sad 1

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

For those of you that have played a few rounds with these, how are you finding the durability? I played two rounds with them so far but the wear on this new finish is noticeable quicker than I thought. Also I thought the body was a cast mold not forged (forged face), but i already see some bag chatter marks around the head, similar to a softer forged body. I know these are tools and they are meant to get beat up eventually. But if after two rounds I’m noticing this wear, what’s it going to look like after 50 or 100? 

• Sad 1

On 9/18/2021 at 5:04 AM, bombs said:

Are the 2021 P790's the same length as the 2019 ones?

If not, what's the change???

The 2021 709s play more traditional length.  In 2019 they had a disclaimer saying that the way they measure would be roughly .25 shorter.  

TM Sim 2 9º

Cobra Speedzone 3w
TM Sim 5w

TM 9790 Irons
TM Spider X Putter
Vokey SM8 50º, 54º, 58º

On 9/15/2021 at 10:17 PM, PuttingOnAirs said:

Well yeah two issues. 

TM admitted they screwed up and sent FedEx Ground vs 2 day air and did nothing to attempt to make it right. 

and now its stuck with FedEx in the Mojave desert since Sunday no movement. Still don’t have them. Scheduled for tomorrow delivery but if aren’t in my distribution center area by now I highly doubt I get them tomorrow.

Reached out to FedEx who are useless. sent another message to TM so voice my displeasure with the situation. If they are unreceptive and the order is delayed to next week im just going to reject shipment and move on and chalk up this TM experiment as failed. 

Good news on my end. Received the clubs on Friday and TM is sending my 2 dozen balls for the trouble. 

Only had time to play a short 9 this weekend but already loving the sweet spot and the control of these. 

I have about a half dozen rounds in with the irons so far, absolutely love them, I didn’t think anything would be able to sideline my i210’s but these have so far.

Solid launch(penetrating mid/high), great distance, stop on a dime, feel and sound great.  

I do have a quick question for others that have played the irons, has anyone noticed shots just off the center, towards the heel seem to fly a little further? I’ve had what would be considered, 2 “flyers”. One with a 9 and one with a 7 that easily went 20 yards long off the tee. I noticed it with the 9 first, never thought twice about it until I had another par 3 tee shot with the 7 and had the same result from the same strike location. I’m guessing it’s due to them being teed up and feeling more comfortable swinging at it(going after it instead of clubbing up). Just curious on others thoughts. 

Edited by AzSuperHack76
Sp.

Just received mine, well not quite true I was in Spain when they arrived on time the day before release day, only got back yesterday and they look great.

Always played the 790’s, tried the 770’s but miss the distance I used to get with the 790’s. Never tried the MMT shaft as always had the Recoils, however in the UK Taylormade are not offering the Recoils in regular, will be interesting to see how the MMT’s perform.

Will be going for a few holes this evening and will let you know thoughts, for what they are worth…😃

Well played 6 holes, so far very happy. Definitely gained a club in distance, was great having 180 to the flag, pulling a 6 iron and being at the back of the green, would have to have struck a 5 perfectly to get to the flag with the 770’s….

So far the MMT’s seem fine, seem pretty similar to the Recoils…..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dethman said:

went for a TM fitting today.  coming from 0311 gen2s.  they felt extremely clicky, hard and loud.  anyone else have this experience?  they flew well, so i could probably get used to them, but the pxgs feel much, much softer.

I had a fitting two weeks ago (on grass with Pro V1 and Trackman) and thought the same: clicky, hard, and loud. That being said, every number I cared about improved: launch, spin, ball speed, dispersion, carry, peak height, and descent angle. Performance was incredible and I ordered a set on the spot. I can live with clicky, hard, and loud with that type of performance.

I've traditionally been a blade or players CB guy in irons. The P790 felt like point and shoot. I can't wait to get them.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

I got my stock 4 iron with s300 105 and haven’t got on well with it at all, not sure why they changed to such a light stock shaft. I hoped it would fit into the bag in place of the udi to blend a little better, but I’m back to the 19 p790 4 iron for now or the udi depending on the tee shots on the day. 

Tsr2 Kai-li white 60g

T200/T150/T100 PX Lz

sm9 54.10S/60.4T

odyssey Toulon Daytona
Pro V1