Generation 3 P790 in 2021?

Jaysakic19

@GHIN n Juice

I’m a former 2019 owner who traded for the 2021, which hasn’t arrived yet.

Just my opinion…

The top line and appearance at address are totally in favor of the 2019. The mat finish makes the 2021 look bulky in comparison to the polished/chrome, which tends to act somewhat like a mirror, disguising the width of the top line.

The big negative to many is going to be offset. The 2021 clearly has more, and again the finish makes it seem more yet. To a significant degree, at least to me, this takes the P790 out of the “player’s appearance” group.

The sole doesn’t appear significantly different in terms of dimensions. Here again, what you want to see in the bag is subjective, though again I think the older version looked somewhat classier.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jeff58 said:

@GHIN n Juice

I’m a former 2019 owner who traded for the 2021, which hasn’t arrived yet.

Just my opinion…

The top line and appearance at address are totally in favor of the 2019. The mat finish makes the 2021 look bulky in comparison to the polished/chrome, which tends to act somewhat like a mirror, disguising the width of the top line.

The big negative to many is going to be offset. The 2021 clearly has more, and again the finish makes it seem more yet. To a significant degree, at least to me, this takes the P790 out of the “player’s appearance” group.

The sole doesn’t appear significantly different in terms of dimensions. Here again, what you want to see in the bag is subjective, though again I think the older version looked somewhat classier.

Complete opposite thoughts for me, obviously looks are all subjective. The new version has a slightly thicker top line, but it is minimal to me. Overall the iron looks so much better, I really think TM improved in terms of looks. The lines seem to be sharper and the contrast with the dull and glossy really looks much cleaner. Again, looks are subjective, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and not knocking your thoughts on it, juts sharing mine. 

Either way the iron flat out performs and is a winner! 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Complete opposite thoughts for me, obviously looks are all subjective. The new version has a slightly thicker top line, but it is minimal to me. Overall the iron looks so much better, I really think TM improved in terms of looks. The lines seem to be sharper and the contrast with the dull and glossy really looks much cleaner. Again, looks are subjective, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and not knocking your thoughts on it, juts sharing mine. 

Either way the iron flat out performs and is a winner! 

Agree on the looks. There’s obviously no particular reason to be chrome, mat, brushed, black, or whatever other than to attract a certain target population. The previous version was chrome, so… My initial impression was “look, there’s some i210 in here now” though 🤔.

As far as overall performance, I’m waiting to see the long-term effect. Compared to the Apex line for instance, the Apex’s appearance has changed significantly over the years, but the performance envelope has remain remarkably similar.

The 2019 P790 was a performance tweak to the original version, but the 2021 is a very different animal, at least in my limited time. What we see in the YouTube and other model introduction commercials is “just like the previous but better”, which to my mind is only there to not scare off buyers.

1 hour ago, Cpk23 said:

I don't understand the appeal of the 790 line. Can someone explain what type of player they are targeting?

Older, more experienced players who have lost swing speed and want to keep up with their younger selves.

When higher cappers and big hitters get hold of them, the reactive faces and lack of spin can and will create “excessive dispersion”, which can be un-fun. The 2021 version appears to be aimed at curbing that behavior to some extent though, at the expense of total distance IME.

• Like 1

Can anyone who has their irons and played a few rounds comment on performance of the short irons (8-AW)? I like to play shots around the greens with the short irons and wondering if I should order a combo set with P770 short irons or just stick with the P790s for the whole set. I’ve hit both irons, but my fitter only carries 6 irons so wanted to get some thoughts. Address picks of the short irons would be great too.

My 13 yo son got fitted for these back in July and they finally arrived yesterday.   They fitted him with the Aldila L flex shafts, and the 6 iron lasted all about 10-20 swings.   I really don't think they should have put these shafts on these clubs, and not really sure what my options are going to be.

65465051059__3CD07224-03D1-4F2C-B2E2-8E6EF371938D.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/26/2021 at 6:25 AM, AspiringScratch said:

Can anyone who has their irons and played a few rounds comment on performance of the short irons (8-AW)? I like to play shots around the greens with the short irons and wondering if I should order a combo set with P770 short irons or just stick with the P790s for the whole set. I’ve hit both irons, but my fitter only carries 6 irons so wanted to get some thoughts. Address picks of the short irons would be great too.

I’ve played probably 10 rounds or so since I got my set and I personally would consider comboing. I have a tendency to over-carry the 8 iron which results in a 15-20 gap between my 9 iron. 

I also have the MG3 wedges in 50-54-58 so I have trouble with distances 125-155 with my PW and 9 iron. More of a loft issue vs performance but if I could redo my fitting I would combo the 8-9-PW with something more playable. 

49C86872-3D22-4346-A802-98D23FA9FCC3.jpeg

13 hours ago, TroyB123 said:

My 13 yo son got fitted for these back in July and they finally arrived yesterday.   They fitted him with the Aldila L flex shafts, and the 6 iron lasted all about 10-20 swings.   I really don't think they should have put these shafts on these clubs, and not really sure what my options are going to be.

65465051059__3CD07224-03D1-4F2C-B2E2-8E6EF371938D.jpg

Stop it ??? Not from just playing, that shaft is plenty strong

13 hours ago, jwb10 said:

Stop it ??? Not from just playing, that shaft is plenty strong

Not sure what you are saying.  I was with him on the grass range, and he hit 20 mostly smooth shots and was starting to get a good feel for them and on the last swing he hit it well and the club flew down the range.

Also, it looks like they've removed these as an option from the TM site for these clubs, so I am guessing we're not the only ones with issues.

Edited by TroyB123

For those with gapping issues or carrying to far.  I would strongly consider having them bent weak.  I have been toying with a set since I do not have much time to play or practice recently and was looking for more forgiveness, not more distance.  The lofts are a bit strange in standard specs,  but I am sure have something to do with design and cg location.   I started at my preferred lie angle and all at 1 degree weak to be close to my P7MC that are a degree strong.  The P790 4,5,8,9,PW are not overly strong but man the 6-7 iron needed to be 2.5 weak to gap properly for me with the set.  I am basically at 2 degree weak and the forgiveness is silly and sound and feel do not bother me at all coming from small blade/cb clubs my entire life.  Visual less offset bent weak also.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • SIM2 10.5 - Ventus Black 7X
  • SIM Ti 5W -  Ventus Blue 8X
  • P790 3I - ADDI 95X
  • P7MC 4-PW - TI X100
  • MG2  52 & 58 - TI S400
  • Spider X 
  • TP5

Well, after 3 shipping delays, I cancelled my Order.  I had originally placed the Order on July 2, 2021 with a promised ship date of September 1, 2021... which turned into September 15, 2021... which turned into October 18, 2021... which turned into November 15, 2021.  10+ week shipping delay was too much.

Taylormade really screwed up the release on these.  They had hundreds of people ordering these irons sight unseen, then they release the lackluster design of them, then they are marred by production delays.

Sticking with my Mizunos for another season.

• Sad 1

Driver:    Ping G400 Max 9.0, UST Mamiya Quantum Purple S

Fairway: Ping G425 7 wood, Aldila Rogue White 7S

Hybrid:   Ping G425 5H, Aldila Rogue Black 8S

Irons:      Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 6-GW, Modus 105R

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 55 and 59, KBS HiRev 2.0R

Putter:    Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

4 hours ago, Dash Boogie said:

Well, after 3 shipping delays, I cancelled my Order.  I had originally placed the Order on July 2, 2021 with a promised ship date of September 1, 2021... which turned into September 15, 2021... which turned into October 18, 2021... which turned into November 15, 2021.  10+ week shipping delay was too much.

Taylormade really screwed up the release on these.  They had hundreds of people ordering these irons sight unseen, then they release the lackluster design of them, then they are marred by production delays.

Sticking with my Mizunos for another season.

What combination of shaft and grip did you order?

16 hours ago, LBB said:

What combination of shaft and grip did you order?

Left hand, S taper lite, Winn grip. The last rep told me the heads were estimated 11/1 and the shafts 11/14, so it wasn’t even like getting a different shaft would bump up the time that much.

Driver:    Ping G400 Max 9.0, UST Mamiya Quantum Purple S

Fairway: Ping G425 7 wood, Aldila Rogue White 7S

Hybrid:   Ping G425 5H, Aldila Rogue Black 8S

Irons:      Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 6-GW, Modus 105R

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 55 and 59, KBS HiRev 2.0R

Putter:    Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

I sold my 2021 P790s. I gave them a fair crack but i went back to the 2019 model. 

I really started to dislike the look at address of the 21 model. The satin finish in particular does not suit my eye, especially as it starts to wear. The top line is game improvement chunky, in the longer irons I didn't mind, but the shorter ones look like shovels. 

The only thing I preferred on the new one is the look in the bag  - but this is no longer the case either given how poorly the satin finish has worn. Oh and the grip. The new Z GRIP is stunning. 

By comparison the 2019 model looks much more tidy behind the ball. Suits my eye much more. Performance wise I saw no difference, but I do have different shafts in each model and I got long better with the shaft in my 19 model.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 8:06 PM, bombs said:

I sold my 2021 P790s. I gave them a fair crack but i went back to the 2019 model. 

I really started to dislike the look at address of the 21 model. The satin finish in particular does not suit my eye, especially as it starts to wear. The top line is game improvement chunky, in the longer irons I didn't mind, but the shorter ones look like shovels. 

The only thing I preferred on the new one is the look in the bag  - but this is no longer the case either given how poorly the satin finish has worn. Oh and the grip. The new Z GRIP is stunning. 

By comparison the 2019 model looks much more tidy behind the ball. Suits my eye much more. Performance wise I saw no difference, but I do have different shafts in each model and I got long better with the shaft in my 19 model.

I agree with this post. Good thing I didn’t sell my 2017s.  I played with for 4 rounds and hit the range about the same. I tried to see if the top line would grow on me. It probably has but my main issue is the performance. The 2017s to me, plays better than the current gen. Fliers aside, I think there’s no performance improvement. I still experienced some fliers but was dramatically reduced by TM.

On another note and contrast, the MG3 wedges are superb. 

On 9/17/2021 at 9:21 AM, Galanga said:

I have 3 rds in plus some range time.  I am about a 250 yd driver guy. These are my stock numbers - can go less or more. 

PW- 120

9i - 135

8i - 145

7i - 160

6i - 170

5i - 180

4i - 190

The long irons have more yards in the tank if need be - like off the tee. 

I have these clubs and agree with these yardages. Only have a few round in mine as well. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 driver 9* 

Ping Anser 14.5* 3 wood

Titleist TSi2 4 21* 4 hybrid

Taylormade 21 P790 5-P irons

Cleveland CG10 51* Gap

Vokey SM8 55* Sand

Cleveland CG10 60* Lob 

Scotty Cameron Special Squareback Select 2 putter

On 9/25/2021 at 10:24 AM, Jeff58 said:

Older, more experienced players who have lost swing speed and want to keep up with their younger selves.

When higher cappers and big hitters get hold of them, the reactive faces and lack of spin can and will create “excessive dispersion”, which can be un-fun. The 2021 version appears to be aimed at curbing that behavior to some extent though, at the expense of total distance IME.

This is right on for me.  Due to a few injuries I just don’t get a full body turn anymore.  That, coupled with 2 kids that travel for sports means less practice time and distance.  I played the 2019 790s and hit em well enough that I thought I could go back to the P7mc and then P770 but the truth is the P790 line really helps my scores given my decrease in distance and practice time.  

On 9/25/2021 at 6:29 AM, Cpk23 said:

I don't understand the appeal of the 790 line. Can someone explain what type of player they are targeting?

these are some of the most popular irons of all time

they appeal to pretty much anyone who likes decent looking clubs, can shoot below 100, and who likes to hit the ball straight and far

they don’t suit blade purists who “need” to look down at a knife or they can’t hit a solid shot, low single / plus caps who always hit the center of the face and can reliably play MBs, and people who believe that all hollow-body irons hit “fliers” that randomly yet multiple times a round go 15-25 yards longer than what they swear is their stock yardage

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gripz said:

these are some of the most popular irons of all time

they appeal to pretty much anyone who likes decent looking clubs, can shoot below 100, and who likes to hit the ball straight and far

they don’t suit blade purists who “need” to look down at a knife or they can’t hit a solid shot, low single / plus caps who always hit the center of the face and can reliably play MBs, and people who believe that all hollow-body irons hit “fliers” that randomly yet multiple times a round go 15-25 yards longer than what they swear is their stock yardage

So the target player is somebody that wants to pretend they play blades but need something similar to launcher hybrid irons.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Cpk23 said:

So the target player is somebody that wants to pretend they play blades but need something similar to launcher hybrid irons.

I can't think of a single person that has ever picked up a 790 iron and pretended it to be a blade, you're reaching on that. 

Its clear you don't like the 790 series but you can't argue that its TM's most popular and successful iron of all time. 

Just about manufacturer has a players distance type iron, nothing new here. 

46 minutes ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

I can't think of a single person that has ever picked up a 790 iron and pretended it to be a blade, you're reaching on that. 

Its clear you don't like the 790 series but you can't argue that its TM's most popular and successful iron of all time. 

Just about manufacturer has a players distance type iron, nothing new here. 

Dude, don't feed this troll. Literally every thread he's in, he's shitposting

• Haha 1