2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Generation 3 P790 in 2021?

Jaysakic19

4 hours ago, Cpk23 said:

So the target player is somebody that wants to pretend they play blades

No, I thought I was pretty clear that it’s not posers, it’s people who want a clean looking club that doesn’t need to be hit in the dead center of the face 95% of the time they pull an iron to get a decent result. 

Its OK if you’re not in the 95% of golfers who think this way for whatever reason

• Like 2

Finally went to the store to see these in person. PGATSS in Irvine doesn't have fitting heads yet, but did have 1 set on display (man the iron racks are all empty, crazy). The topline ... is definitely noticeable. I was all in, and I'm not a topline whore, but they look more Rogue/Mavrik. Grabbed the old ones to compare, definitely looks that way. It's that ridge at the top, maybe they need it for CG etc. The P770 also has a slight ridge as well.

That said, compared it to T-200s and Srixons ZX-5 and those two are porkers compared to the P790, especially the soles. I'm not a great player but big soles just don't work for me for some reason.

Now I'm debating the Gen 3 0311P instead.

On 10/20/2021 at 1:30 PM, Cpk23 said:

So the target player is somebody that wants to pretend they play blades but need something similar to launcher hybrid irons.

In case you didn’t know, go here -

D85B270B-6B27-4484-BFD3-0E54F185E728.png.c4de6f6f70d6eac96ed5c45e70ce5ae7.png

Under “Ignored users”, enter Cpk23

• Like 1

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

1 hour ago, JDIL said:

Finally went to the store to see these in person. PGATSS in Irvine doesn't have fitting heads yet, but did have 1 set on display (man the iron racks are all empty, crazy). The topline ... is definitely noticeable. I was all in, and I'm not a topline whore, but they look more Rogue/Mavrik. Grabbed the old ones to compare, definitely looks that way. It's that ridge at the top, maybe they need it for CG etc. The P770 also has a slight ridge as well.

That said, compared it to T-200s and Srixons ZX-5 and those two are porkers compared to the P790, especially the soles. I'm not a great player but big soles just don't work for me for some reason.

Now I'm debating the Gen 3 0311P instead.

If you don't like wide soles then I doubt the PXG P will look favorable.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

On 10/22/2021 at 2:02 PM, BirdieBob said:

If you don't like wide soles then I doubt the PXG P will look favorable.

Darn. Downside of DTC can't see them. I did have a fitting with PXG for driver, and for kicks they had me try out the 0211 but the lofts were just too strong for me.

I do hit the P770s fairly well wonder if I should look there again, just bent a little stronger maybe a degree.

35 minutes ago, JDIL said:

Darn. Downside of DTC can't see them. I did have a fitting with PXG for driver, and for kicks they had me try out the 0211 but the lofts were just too strong for me.

I do hit the P770s fairly well wonder if I should look there again, just bent a little stronger maybe a degree.

PXG Gen 3 sole comparisons.....

1493083955_pxgg3soles.jpg.46255854c182a59a4ae16c301f0ac63a.jpg

• Like 1

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Thanks.

Went to Golfmart to hit these and others. Unfortunately the only P790 I could find had the really light shaft on them. Although I'm a slower swinger, I don't get along with light shafts. I have a tendency to overswing and heavier shafts slow me down. They had P770s with appropriate weight shafts and hit them pretty well.

T200 was a non-starter. T100 was nice, but I lost a lot of yardage and I need all I can get. Maybe T100s would have been good. Love how thin they were though.

ZX5s and Modus 105 shaft ... man I just kept hitting those well. Very well. I liked the 2019 Apex but the 2021 ... kind of weird.

The P790 didn't look too bad when actually standing over it instead of just looking at it on the ground. Sure it looks thicker but when your'e just over it, it doesn't bother me that much. Gonna give a set a chance. But damn, the Modus 105 are backordered until March 2022. I have a set of Elevate 105s sitting here, so I'll just order them with the KBS Tour FLTs and if they're no good, pull them.

So I pre-ordered the new P790’s (and MG3’s too) here in the Uk in July and was told they’d be with me in October……then November…..and most recently, December.

But I heard a rumour this afternoon (I know, not maybe true but need to ask here) that there is an issue with the factory in the far east and anyone in the Uk/Europe with a custom fit order isn’t going to see those irons, at all. The order will be cancelled by TM and you’ll have to order something else and start all over.

Any crumb of truth in this at all?? Thanks 

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 10.5 Driver/MCA Vanquish 4 Stiff
Titleist TSR2+ 13.0 degree 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15.0 degree (@ 17) 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 22.0 degree 4 hybrid/MCA Kai’Li White HY 80 Stiff
Taylormade P790 2021 5-PW irons/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 50 degree SB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 54 degree HB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Taylormade MG3 58 degree LB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Odyssey White Hot OG 7 Bird 34” putter/Stroke Lab double bend shaft
Taylormade TP5x/Titleist Pro V1x ball

Vessel/Cobra Tour bag 2022

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any info on what the KBS "Tour Lite" shaft option might be?

As far as I can tell (and online chat customer supporter agreed), it is a brand new option to their custom shop. 

Might this be the KBS Tour 105? (a shaft I love but I don't think TM has ever had as an option before)

Trying to find something in the ~110g range that is "less boardy" than then C-Taper Lites in my current set. Previously I would have gone straight to Nippon Modus 105's but we all know those are basically impossible to get from OEM these days...

Where did people net out on these who have played them? It's on my shortlist due to foriveness, and I loved the 2019 model but moved on from it due to not really know where on the face I was hitting the ball.  I talked myself into thinking I need more demanding irons, and in the end I switched to T200 which do tell you when they are flushed or missed.  Kinda curious about these again, but as usual opinions seemed polarized on performance.  I know my shaft, and saw the typical results with the '19 fitting head.  Will these just tighten up the occasional jumper?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 4:17 PM, KParks said:

Anyone have any info on what the KBS "Tour Lite" shaft option might be?

As far as I can tell (and online chat customer supporter agreed), it is a brand new option to their custom shop. 

Might this be the KBS Tour 105? (a shaft I love but I don't think TM has ever had as an option before)

Trying to find something in the ~110g range that is "less boardy" than then C-Taper Lites in my current set. Previously I would have gone straight to Nippon Modus 105's but we all know those are basically impossible to get from OEM these days...

Here you go - backordered for now.  Set of Tour 105 s out there, but you have to look.

Tour AD XC 6S Callaway Smoke 3D 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper L:ite S T150 4-Gap
SteelFiber PR Wedge Ping Glide 4.0 46, 50, 54 and 58 degree
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

• 1 year later...

I'm bumping a super old thread here, but is anybody still playing the '21 P790s? Could you share a long-term review? 

I'm looking to make the switch to graphite -- been dealing with tennis elbow, and I also have an old wrist ligament injury that I keep aggravating when I pound too many range balls. I like MMTs and know TaylorMade has them for a relatively minimal upcharge, so I'm considering them as well as Srixon. 

Had a chance to attend a demo event with a TM rep recently and got to hit a demo P790 7 iron bent 2 degrees weak with an MMT 105 and really liked it. It has me seriously considering them.

I also noticed that Brooke Henderson has P790s in her bag, 5-PW. It got me thinking about how I probably don't need to be playing less forgiving irons than she is! I'd love to hear more about why she's going with P790s instead of, say, P770s. 

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

I blend, 5-7 P790 then 770s at the top. I enjoy them for what they are and have bent well, 2d weak to help with gapping . Initially DG105s, now MMT 105s in them coincidentally, but all that matters is you are well fit for the shaft.

Unless you are super low spinning player to begin with, I find them only a few hundred RPM less then other CBs I have with similar lofts and striking them a bit high on the face, ball speeds is a tick better then 770 in retention. Its not night and day save my shot from being in the water better, but incremental that you may notice a shot or two a round having a better result then you deserved from a crap strike 😄

• Thanks 1

I bag ‘21 790’s 2* weak Steelfiber i95S.  By bending weak I achieved launch, height, and descent angle to better hold my home courses firm greens better than 770’s same shaft that I played prior with no distance loss and the added benefit of the extra forgiveness.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WITB:

TaylorMade M6 9* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Red 6 stiff
TaylorMade SIM Rocket
TaylorMade SIM 5 wood
TaylorMade 2019 P790 4-P  KBS Tour 120 stiff SS1X
TaylorMade MG2 48* KBS Tour 120 stiff-MG2 54* and 58* KBS Hi-REV 2.0
PXG Gen2 Operator 38 inches
PING Heppler ZB3

On 3/23/2023 at 9:48 PM, eric61 said:

I'm bumping a super old thread here, but is anybody still playing the '21 P790s? Could you share a long-term review? 

I'm looking to make the switch to graphite -- been dealing with tennis elbow, and I also have an old wrist ligament injury that I keep aggravating when I pound too many range balls. I like MMTs and know TaylorMade has them for a relatively minimal upcharge, so I'm considering them as well as Srixon. 

Had a chance to attend a demo event with a TM rep recently and got to hit a demo P790 7 iron bent 2 degrees weak with an MMT 105 and really liked it. It has me seriously considering them.

I also noticed that Brooke Henderson has P790s in her bag, 5-PW. It got me thinking about how I probably don't need to be playing less forgiving irons than she is! I'd love to hear more about why she's going with P790s instead of, say, P770s. 

I am playing the 21 P790s 5-PW with MMT105 shafts. So far, I really like them. I bought them in Jan, but really love them so far.  They feel powerful when it well. Like the ball jumps off the face. I’m used to playing forged Mizuno‘s.  These did not take long to get used to. The top line is thicker than I would prefer it to be, but I love everything else about them.

• Thanks 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS