Is a blade just a blade? How do I decide which blade to game?

LowAndLeft32

17 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Always dropping knowledge. I mean, he does hunt blades after all! 

This is correct. They are not the same. The VR Pros are legendary for good reason and you probably won't find blades that are much better, OP. I have found certain blades will give you a bit more speed for some reason (Apex MB '18, Wilson Staff Blades, Ping Blueprint). The MPF doesn't tell the whole story as I imagine the VCOG is affected by bounce or something. Lower bounce irons tend to have lower VCOGs than higher bounce (most Pings have high VCOG measurements while Mizuno has low as an example). 

That’s another good point.  Ballspeed.  

For whatever reason the mp5 , and my titleist prototype set alwasy test neck and neck with 6 iron speed , and both will be 1/3 mph faster than anything else I’ve tested.  Not that speed is the goal.  But to me it’s a good indicator of strike quality mixed with fitment and weighting that matches my strike.  This is tested shaft for shaft etc vs other irons.

Was a couple years ago when I did this. but over 3 trackman sessions these two irons repeatedly produced more speed and better smash numbers.  The fitter I was working with was trying to put me into something new and he couldn’t even match much less  beat the two irons I brought with me.  Shortly after I did go blueprint.  They were close in all aspects and provided a tad more launch in the long irons.  Plus they were new !  😂

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

This being GolfWRX, I suggest you keep you VR Pro irons AND buy another, older set of blades, just not for $600. Get a set in reasonable, or fairly beat up condition, just to try out and compare against your VRs (which are a lovely iron, btw).

I'm very much in the same camp as @PEI_Golfer and @cgasucks, in that I like to get older iron sets for low, low prices.

For example, I recently got a lovely set of Mizunos for a little over $100 including postage. They're probably custom MS-11s from late Eighties/early Nineties, I would guess.

1874320728_MizunoProOriginalsMS-11sset.jpg.595eec3b031a288a609b97d099821951.jpgYeah, I'm just showing them off😜

Nice set there. Where do you tend to find these great irons at feet prices? 

• Like 1

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

47 minutes ago, Aviador Naval said:

I agree with this post - especially the bold part.  I have MP20 and 718MB.  At casual glance, there appears to be no difference other than logos.  In fact, Titleist has more bounce and more camber, the combination of which make them much easier to play when the course is a little moist (at least for me...).

Also agree that VR Pros are fantastic irons.

@bladehunter you guys bring up great points in bounce camber and vcog. If I’m more of picker and miss is thin I assume I should look for stuff with low vcog and no bounce and less camber. I guess this would point me more in the mizuno direction? Thanks 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

That’s another good point.  Ballspeed.  

For whatever reason the mp5 , and my titleist prototype set alwasy test neck and neck with 6 iron speed , and both will be 1/3 mph faster than anything else I’ve tested.  Not that speed is the goal.  But to me it’s a good indicator of strike quality mixed with fitment and weighting that matches my strike.  This is tested shaft for shaft etc vs other irons.

Was a couple years ago when I did this. but over 3 trackman sessions these two irons repeatedly produced more speed and better smash numbers.  The fitter I was working with was trying to put me into something new and he couldn’t even match much less  beat the two irons I brought with me.  Shortly after I did go blueprint.  They were close in all aspects and provided a tad more launch in the long irons.  Plus they were new !  😂

Man, the MP5 would be the absolute GOAT if the 9 and PW didn’t look like they do. I’ll never understand the JDM desire for shovel wedges. I absolutely loved the long irons in that set and hit some of my most memorable shots with the mid irons. 

I’m not entirely sure why some irons are like that. I always got insane ball speed out of the MP20 as well. Every time I do a fitting I end up in that iron without me saying anything to the fitter. Never figured out the shaft though. Anyways, turf interaction is a big deal. It can’t be overstated. Tested out some Miura MB 101 recently and hit them great but something just didn’t vibe through the ground. Hit some great shots, they felt amazing, but I knew they weren’t the ones. If you have repeatability in your swing and know what you need to see, it’s pretty clear whether or not something is hitting the window you need it to and whether it’s efficient through the ground. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

@bladehunter you guys bring up great points in bounce camber and vcog. If I’m more of picker and miss is thin I assume I should look for stuff with low vcog and no bounce and less camber. I guess this would point me more in the mizuno direction? Thanks 

What is your HC or average score? How far do you hit your 7i? Your VR irons ready have a low VCOG and low bounce/camber. 

• Like 1

Are you buying heads only and building them to your specs or are you planning to use an "as is" set of blades with shafts and specs that may not be right for you?

Another really good option is to look at direct to consumer blades from companies like Sub70 who can build you a brand new set of blades (649mb or 639 mb) with your specs for under $600. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

What is your HC or average score? How far do you hit your 7i? Your VR irons ready have a low VCOG and low bounce/camber. 

HC is 8. I hit my VR pro 7i 165. I hit it as good if not better than my T100 irons. I assume possibly since the Vr pros fit my picking shallow divot thin miss better than the T100z 

17 minutes ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

HC is 8. I hit my VR pro 7i 165. I hit it as good if not better than my T100 irons. I assume possibly since the Vr pros fit my picking shallow divot thin miss better than the T100z 

165 carry not total I assume? Do the T100 have the same shaft? The preworn sole on the T100 is just about the most versatile sole you can get on an iron IMO. It’s the best for pickers by a long shot. So, theoretically those should be as good or better than the VR. You’ve got some of the best sets of blades and CBs on the market. Best to just get the shaft dialed and work on the swing. 

An 8 averages only 7 GIR per round. That’s not necessarily you, but you’re losing strokes somewhere and given your other thread about all irons working generally the same for you, I’d say the only point of you trying a different set is to experiment for fun/feel. I’ve changed irons a ton and for the most part I score the same with all of them. I definitely prefer some to others, but in the end it’s the person on the end of the ball whacking hitting stick that matters. 

2841FDA9-A3A1-424C-A91F-A999CEDDB68C.png

• Like 1

If I'm playing blades, I'm playing the traditional traditional lofts of a 49° or 50° PW.  Not because I'm a purist, but because that's what I have.  Problem with those old blades and maybe the new ones, too, I've not hit a new blade recently, is that the longish irons are so difficult.  7 iron is ok but the 6 and longer are so challenging to hit.  Maybe playing too long with shovels have changed my swing but I hit high spin bombs with my old blades.  

For a company like Nike that seems to cater to a younger and hipper demographic, their blades were simple and beautiful and sure to please any purist.  

• Like 2

Nike VR Pro blades were my favorite irons and I regret selling them.  Since then have played the Vapor Pro's, TM P730 and now the P7MB's.  Learn from me and keep the VR's; these are as good as anything out today.  

• Like 1

TM Qi10 LS 10.5* Ventus Blue 6x- Velocore
TM Stealth+ 3W- Fuji Speeder Tour X
3-5 TM P7MC  KBS Tour 130 XS

6-9 TM 23' P7MB KBS Tour 130 XS
50* & 58* MG3- Black 
Black Lab BL-1 365G 

1 hour ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

Nice set there. Where do you tend to find these great irons at feet prices? 

If I told you, I'd have to kill you...🤣

I live in Japan, so old Mizuno, Bridgestone, and Maruman clubs etc. are pretty easy to come by.

Incidentally, @bladehunter mentioned cambered soles, and while it's probably true that much older blades weren't into camber much, by the Eighties that was changing. I've a set of nicely cambered RAM irons (Tour Camber Sole) that are as well rounded as anything you see today, and a set (or two) of MS-11s, which came out in the late Eighties and have tons of bounce.

That said, some old iron sets may not have the leading edge grind and bounce you want. So, just avoid them!

So stick with your VRs, but buy some cheap old sets to see what else you like??

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I live in Japan, so old Mizuno, Bridgestone, and Maruman clubs etc. are pretty easy to come by.

Incidentally, @bladehunter mentioned cambered soles, and while it's probably true that much older blades weren't into camber much, by the Eighties that was changing. I've a set of nicely cambered RAM irons (Tour Camber Sole) that are as well rounded as anything you see today, and a set (or two) of MS-11s, which came out in the late Eighties and have tons of bounce.

That said, some old iron sets may not have the leading edge grind and bounce you want. So, just avoid them!

I like the idea of buying some cheap older sets. Now the trick is to find some good ones at low prices. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I haven't seen many lefty Bridgestone stuff, but don't see much Bridgestone in general, so there is that.

I would go nuts with access to cheap JDM clubs. My horder mentally would lose it 

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

3 hours ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

Yes. Lower Vcog for sure.  I too and more picker than not.  Especially with long irons.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Different blades can have the mass distributed more toward the toe, middle, or heel of the clubhead.   It’s easy to spot this by looking at the back of the club head.

• Like 1

Cobra Fly Z+
Bridgestone J33 3W, 5W Aldila NV 65
Wilson Staff D9 4-PW, TT Dynamic Gold R300

Wilson Harmonized 52*, 56*, 60*
Wilson Staff 8882

3 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Older MBs tend to have a square flat sole.  Some willl even sit up on their own on a flat surface ( head only ) without being supported .  These soles play significantly different than The modern rounded ( cambered ) soles.    Then you add in the modern strong lofts at 47 or so snd you may need a gap wedge.  There’s more to consider like vertical center of gravity (vcog) and offset.  

so no. A blade is not a blade. At all. 

It depends on how far back in time you go.  The last 15 years, most blades have seen that addressed.  As you go farther back, there are options available, the MP33 being an obvious example, but itscase by case.  

As you go a bit farther back, you have to pick your spots, but there are options available with less flat/sharp soles.  MS11 / MP11 are a good example, as are the Golden Ram TW276 set (amusingly, the companion TW282 set are not).

TLDR, its case by case.  🙂

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 minute ago, NRJyzr said:

It depends on how far back in time you go.  The last 15 years, most blades have seen that addressed.  As you go farther back, there are options available, the MP33 being an obvious example, but itscase by case.  

As you go a bit farther back, you have to pick your spots, but there are options available with less flat/sharp soles.  MS11 / MP11 are a good example, as are the Golden Ram TW276 set (amusingly, the companion TW282 set are not).

TLDR, its case by case.  🙂

True. It is case by case for sure. I tend to gravitate to the flat soled ( less camber ) ones I guess . Hitting a fade I like a little heel in my iron.  Nobody wants to see the toe closing 😂

• Like 2

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Blades are not blades - I remember playing MP-14's in the late 90's and really wanting TN-87's, but settled on MP-29's, that sole was way less forgiving for my swing at the time, I was awful with them.

• Like 1

Titleist Tsr2 9*

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 16*

PXG 0317X Gen 4 20.5*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

2 hours ago, LeoLeo99 said:

If I'm playing blades, I'm playing the traditional traditional lofts of a 49° or 50° PW.  Not because I'm a purist, but because that's what I have.  Problem with those old blades and maybe the new ones, too, I've not hit a new blade recently, is that the longish irons are so difficult.  7 iron is ok but the 6 and longer are so challenging to hit.  Maybe playing too long with shovels have changed my swing but I hit high spin bombs with my old blades.  

For a company like Nike that seems to cater to a younger and hipper demographic, their blades were simple and beautiful and sure to please any purist.  

I don't get the idea that long iron blades are hard to hit.  If you're generally hitting the ball on the sweet spot, it shouldn't matter what the design is.  I love my long irons because they're so easy to work and shape.  Easily some of my favorite clubs to hit.

The question should really be about optimization though, and that's where I see the use for more forgiving clubs in general.  Doesn't mean blades are hard to hit, just a different perspective and goal.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, lefthack said:

Sole grind and width, what looks good, what feels good. Being lefty didn't give me options to try before bought. So it was what looked good that I could afford. 

Having hit my Mizuno MP-32 a few rounds now, I know a 32 set or 32/33 combo are in my future. But I also want to hit the Miura's.

Not much interest for me in any other OE's since my list is pretty long now.

Miura CB/MB combo 

Mizuno MP-32/33 combo 

Haywood MB comes out in lefty end of this year. 

I still have my BGD's in the mail in a week or two and just finished building my KZG combo. I can only play so many. 

Where did you hear that about the haywood MB? I've been wanting those forever but was told last year they had no plans of making them lefty. Or are you talking about those new Haywood 100's?

8 minutes ago, doctorgolf said:

Where did you hear that about the haywood MB? I've been wanting those forever but was told last year they had no plans of making them lefty. Or are you talking about those new Haywood 100's?

Haywood told me like a month ago when I was bugging them about how sweet the MB's looked and how that was more my style than the signatures. I do dig the signatures, but the MB's are just right.

From the chat:

We are working on the but they won’t be available until end of year / early 2022 unfortunately.

Edited by lefthack
  • Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

14 hours ago, boggyman said:

Never seen blades with less than 46/47* for a PW. Who’s making these “Contemporary”  aka strong lofted blades? 

If I recall, Callaway has a few, TM (hollow but their blade) Miura and Mizuno offer them too.  Depends on the company.  Lofts vary on 3i to 9i, some PWs too.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

38 minutes ago, ConstantineJr79 said:

Don’t sleep on a set of Razr X MB or TA X Proto. Cavity back performance in a blade that is as pure feeling as it gets. 

Interesting. I do t hear to much about these two sets. I will have to check them out. On quick search looks like they are rarely for sale. 

29 minutes ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

Interesting. I do t hear to much about these two sets. I will have to check them out. On quick search looks like they are rarely for sale. 

Very true. Not as easy to find as the others. Just giving my 2 cents worth here. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3

TEE C722 Hybrid 2-3-4

Maltby TE+ V4 5-G

Maltby Max Milled 54/60

Odyssey RX1 

5 hours ago, Bdck said:

I don't get the idea that long iron blades are hard to hit.  If you're generally hitting the ball on the sweet spot, it shouldn't matter what the design is.  I love my long irons because they're so easy to work and shape.  Easily some of my favorite clubs to hit.

The question should really be about optimization though, and that's where I see the use for more forgiving clubs in general.  Doesn't mean blades are hard to hit, just a different perspective and goal.

35 years ago I played FG17 blades down to a 2 iron.  They didn't seem so scary back then.  Those same Wilson blades look really small today.  But glad they work for you.