First off, I know this should probably be in the putter mod talk. Be free to move it there mods. I wanted to make sure more people saw it before it happens to anyone else. First, I ordered a custom putter almost 6 months ago. It’s my fault for not asking in the beginning but I was already in too deep but I was quoted 4-5 months max. Like others have said on here, communication was very quick during the first couple weeks. We finally decided on a putter and was prepared to wait. I didn’t message or email for 4 months when it was about to be the end of the 5th month. That’s when it got interesting.

After 5 months it takes him at least a week to respond with very little context in the messages. Next week will be going on 6 months and I’ve now messaged 3 times on Instagram and 3 emails in the last 2 weeks with no response. I don’t know what I should do. I gave him the full amount do the putter which was dumb on my part. The last response I got was that it would be shipping this Friday, which was almost 3 weeks ago. I’m out money with no putter and no communication. The frustrating part is that he’s dropping a websale tomorrow with 30-40 putters but he can’t finish mine in 6 months? It’s sad when I gave him a good amount for a custom build and has pretty much ghosted me at this point. What should I do? I don’t normally post my frustrations on here and normally try to be very understanding but this is just unacceptable. Thanks in advance. 

• Sad 2
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guys at Fusion reading the complaint like...  

If they are so busy making putters (and charging upfront) that they can't answer e-mails, then they should have enough money to hire an office person.   There are plenty of other putter make

I don’t have quite the following per-say that Olson does. But, I do get quite a few emails and messages in several different forms. It is quite a task to manage keeping up with customers. Much more so

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Delays and poor communication are unfortunately very common. It happened to me early on with my customs. Now I only work with guys who communicate well. It save's me the stress of constantly asking questions and waiting. 

If it was me, I would ask him for my money back or file a complaint through PayPal or visa or whatever service you paid with.  I'm sure he won't give it back. There are so many great boutique putter makers out there, find one that a) treats you like thejr favorite customer b) that is worth wiating 6 months for. 

Goodluck man.

Edited by 5hort5tuff
  • Like 1

COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
Xenon Copper Wide X
SGC 902

4 minutes ago, Champ2430 said:

Communication was very good early on. That’s why I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I wish I could just get my money back at this point. I know there plenty of good custom makers out there. It’s just sad that I won’t be looking at one ever again. 

@Champ2430: sorry to hear about your bad experience wrt custom-/boutique putter maker. 
I've found BradleyPutters to have excellent responsiveness / great communications. 
https://www.instagram.com/bradleyputters/?hl=en

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

@Champ2430: sorry to hear about your bad experience wrt custom-/boutique putter maker. 
I've found BradleyPutters to have excellent responsiveness / great communications. 
https://www.instagram.com/bradleyputters/?hl=en

Thanks for the suggestion! I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this experience and or doesn’t have the same problem I have. 

Unfortunately there’s been a few similar threads to yours regarding Olson. I have no first hand experience with him though. It’s a shame as I truly like his work. 

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 6x

TSi3 13.5* / Ventus Red 9x

TSi3 19* / Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100•s 4-P / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 50, 54, 58 / Dynamic TI X100

620 / MC X-Firm

WITB Thread

I've heard this before as well, great contact early on then radio silence after. I'd tell him give you an update or you'll file a claim with PayPal or perform a charge back. 

I'm sure that will get a quick response. 

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 6.0

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - NCW Boyd - and more. 

WITB Thread

Seems strange for sure as the guy usually posts himself heading to the shop at 5-6 am, and working there late into the night. I know he had an issue with a fixture he had made for his machine and looked like had to scrap a bunch of heads that had a slight error in them... But yea he's dropping a whole bunch of stock putters today so you'd think a paid for custom order would be completed before that. 

But he does also show that he has 1000+ plus emails a week (or every few days really) to go through and seems to be a 1 man operation so he's definitely swamped. Hope it works out for ya man he does do some beautiful work. 

• Like 1

TM SIM Max 9*  Ventus blue 6-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

TM R-11 5-PW KBS 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

As stated above, it's important to do this.  I found when I had a bad experience with the maker, I always sold the putter after. Left me salty. 

• Like 1

COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
Xenon Copper Wide X
SGC 902

1 hour ago, kmay__ said:

Seems strange for sure as the guy usually posts himself heading to the shop at 5-6 am, and working there late into the night. I know he had an issue with a fixture he had made for his machine and looked like had to scrap a bunch of heads that had a slight error in them... But yea he's dropping a whole bunch of stock putters today so you'd think a paid for custom order would be completed before that. 

But he does also show that he has 1000+ plus emails a week (or every few days really) to go through and seems to be a 1 man operation so he's definitely swamped. Hope it works out for ya man he does do some beautiful work. 

That’s why I never had any doubts. He’s very active an social media and is always making putters day and night. Just frustrating that he can make 35 putters and sell them today without finishing his custom orders for his customers that have been waiting 6 months. 

1 hour ago, 5hort5tuff said:

As stated above, it's important to do this.  I found when I had a bad experience with the maker, I always sold the putter after. Left me salty. 

At this point I’m in the same boat. I know he makes great putters but I’m just kind of over it at this point. If there’s one thing you can do nowadays it’s have good communication. 

Posted (edited)

If he's actively posting on Social Media, I would call him out there in the comments. Social media is advertising for these small companies so they dont want negative comments, should get his attention.

I am in the end stages of my Mack Made and Josie has been a pleasure to deal with.

For what Olsen charges this communication is unacceptable 

Edited by PixlPutterman
  • Like 3

Taylormade Sim 9° - Smoke Green 70x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X
TM HiToe 52°/56°/62° - HiRev 2.0
Mack Made Custom 
2016 RZN Platinum (15 dozen in the garage)

Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

12 minutes ago, nova6868 said:

If they are so busy making putters (and charging upfront) that they can't answer e-mails, then they should have enough money to hire an office person.

There are plenty of other putter makers that have excellent customer service.

Thank you.... at least someone understands lol

• Like 1

Unfortunately, too many understand. This story is not exclusive to Olson. Communication and definitive timelines appear to be a difficulty for many boutique makers. The final product rarely disappoints, but the ride can often be bumpy. In every instance the poor overall experience led to a putter that saw significantly less action on the greens. 

I have been where you are more times than I care to communicate. Only once, after 9 months of run around, did I ask for my money back. More excuses followed but product arrived. Not an enjoyable route to take, but sometimes necessary

I think we need to do a better job of highlighting the makers that can deliver an enjoyable experience from start to finish. 

Here are my best overall experiences in alphabetical order to date (communication, timelines, product). Bradley, Burns, Goodwood, SGC.  Obviously, every transaction is unique.

Champ, I wish you well in your quest. I am certain Olson will follow through and the putter will be stellar when it arrives.  Might just need to grease his gears a little.

• Like 2

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

44 minutes ago, 5hort5tuff said:

And who might you ^^^^ be? Putter maker? Curious is all.

Looking through a of his posts I think Goodwood, but I'll let him confirm.... Which is nice to hear from him as I follow him on IG and his work is super clean. On my shiot list to get a putter from

• Like 1

Mack Made Custom 

Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

3 hours ago, dfr1028a said:

I don’t have quite the following per-say that Olson does. But, I do get quite a few emails and messages in several different forms. It is quite a task to manage keeping up with customers. Much more so than I think people tend to realize. Handling 40+ orders at times can be quite a daunting task. I get the weekly iphone usage report every week as most do.. my average is regularly over 6 hours per day. Trust me, that’s not spent playing games or scrolling through social media lol. Beyond that, I still need to finish all of the putters and ship them out 😉 

I recently asked everyone via an Instagram story chat what their biggest gripes were with the boutique putter market. 2nd behind price (go figure), communication was the most common response. 

Understand, this is not an excuse in any way for another maker not responding. I start to lose sleep when the timeline gets to 2 months for people who have paid me to complete something for them. However, it’s a very fine line between managing communication and just shipping out subpar putters as quickly as you can. You want to keep everyone happy and be available to them, while still making sure they get what they paid for. 

Your situation sucks. And I wouldn’t blame you at all if you came to me asking to be refunded. This is just my 2c as someone who struggles to keep up too at times. All I can say is don’t give up on those of us who understand that the process and experience of having a custom putter made is equally as important as the final product too. 

Thanks for the kind words @PeanutsDaddy

You are the real deal David. Thank you for providing some insight into the challenges that you face as a maker.  

If only the buyer had a real sense of what happens daily. We get glimpses, but never have the full picture.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

One thing I did with Josie at Mack Made was just flat out ask "how does this work communication wise". I told him this was my first experience with a boutique maker and while I was excited and wanted to nerd out on putters, I knew he had work to do.

He basically told me it's about 10 weeks and when it got close to time he'd reach back out (I put down a deposit) and we'd go over options head to toe.

That conversation was last week and it went well so hopefully a few more weeks and she'll be here

Mack Made Custom 

8 hours ago, PixlPutterman said:

Looking through a of his posts I think Goodwood, but I'll let him confirm.... Which is nice to hear from him as I follow him on IG and his work is super clean. On my shiot list to get a putter from

If that's the case, he does do very nice work. Some unique touches too. Good to see these makes actually communicating with people in these forums.

COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
Xenon Copper Wide X
SGC 902

10 hours ago, PixlPutterman said:

It is definitely David from Goodwood and I would tell you go buy a putter or two from him before probably anybody else right now!

I sent an email to Olson in October asking about a clean smooth faced putter after discussing it on IG. Never heard back. I have moved on would still like one, one day but not for how much I think it is going to cost and how hard it is to work a deal out. I like somebody's idea above about calling him out on IG and making all these stock putters for his release yesterday and cannot finish custom orders!

Is Olson maybe the next Lamb? There I said it!

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65

Titleist 915fd 15* Smoke 70S

Titleist 816 H2 19* Diamana 100X

Titleist 716 T-MB 4 Iron PX 6.5

Titleist 690 MB 5-PW PX 6.5/PXG 0311 T KBS C-Taper Stiff

Mizuno T20 52 & 56 PX 6.5, 61* S400

Piretti GOAT

51 minutes ago, Humble said:

The fact that he said it would ship Friday and then you hear nothing for 3 weeks is utterly disturbing.  Doesn’t matter how nice of a putter he makes, I will never order a putter from him.

Man, sucks

I agree the last part about being done and saying it would ship is likely the worst part of this

sure I get that customs take a while, and a lot of these folks are limited by operational issues, but be upfront about it, and at a certain point cry uncle and stop taking orders until you can actually catch up.  You may not be able to control all the demand that is coming in, but you can certainly address it by being straight up about lead time, and not taking more orders than you can handle

Yadi for President

Sounds like everyone who has ordered a custom stick is quite comfortable with the time frame it will take to get their order. What seems to be a common issue is the lack of coms from manufacturer. I think everyone would agree that getting out in front of your issues as a smaller operation - whether that's a huge influx of orders, material issues, or just day to day life would make these types of stories less likely. I don't think anyone can begrudge a boutique item taking longer than normal as long as you're completely upfront. 

• Like 1

@Champ2430 Hopefully your putter wasn't part of the websale...

Sorry for your frustration. I agree, your situation is unacceptable.

I'd try to get my money back. I'd be so upset every time I looked down at the putter that I'd never be able to use it.

Cobra SZ Extreme SB HZRDUS Smoke Green

Cobra SZ Big Tour 3w SB HZRDUS Smoke Yellow

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5w SB HZRDUS Smoke Green

Callaway X Forged UT 

Callaway X Forged CB 4-5

United SBB1 6-PW

Vokey SM8 50°

Vokey SM8 Slate Blue 56°

Bettinardi Queen B 6