10 hours ago, dfr1028a said:

Haha it’s a 40-50 continuous running total. 500 is silly. I’d be subbing out some work for sure. But, to another comment before about the tire kickers and general inquiries, yes.. there is A LOT of time spent there. My concern with hiring someone as a helper is that I am way too much of a control freak to trust someone to manage communications. At least right now. 

I will also add that there are times where a break is needed. Might sound silly, but it takes real motivation and the right mind set to do the work. Especially the stamping. It’s extremely easy to scrap heads when you’re tired or not paying attention. I’ve got drawers full of trashed heads simply because I wasn’t focused lol. So again, 500 orders with the kind of details he puts into them is a mountain of a task. This is another reason why I don’t do a lot of the real fancy stuff with all the special milling, engraving, character stamps, etc. I’ve realized there is a line you have to draw as to what level of customization you want to/can manage. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me on this, but at some point when you have such a wide variety of options, it’s easy to lose brand identity and start to blend in. Even if the quality and detail work is top level. My putters are not perfect, they are affordable and made to be played. I’m very open up front about what I can and cannot manage with custom options. Hopefully that keeps my name out of thread titles like this 😉

Totally get the control piece.  I've seen your stamping - it's super clean and consistent.  No doubt running a 1 man show with such demanding customers is quite the challenge!  Props to you doing it with that level of awareness and desire for consistency.  Just the fact that you're on here and engaging puts you well ahead of others in my opinion.

• Like 1

Callaway TD LS 9 - Accra TZ5 M5 

Callaway Rogue SZ 15 - Diamana Tensei Pro White 70 TX

Titleist TS2 18 - Diamana DF 80 TX

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 4-PW - C-Taper 130 X

Taylormade MG2 50, 54, 60 - S400

TP Mills Dale/TP Mills Nellie

Pro V1

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guys at Fusion reading the complaint like...  

If they are so busy making putters (and charging upfront) that they can't answer e-mails, then they should have enough money to hire an office person.   There are plenty of other putter make

I don’t have quite the following per-say that Olson does. But, I do get quite a few emails and messages in several different forms. It is quite a task to manage keeping up with customers. Much more so

Posted Images

11 hours ago, dfr1028a said:

Haha it’s a 40-50 continuous running total. 500 is silly. I’d be subbing out some work for sure. But, to another comment before about the tire kickers and general inquiries, yes.. there is A LOT of time spent there. My concern with hiring someone as a helper is that I am way too much of a control freak to trust someone to manage communications. At least right now. 

I will also add that there are times where a break is needed. Might sound silly, but it takes real motivation and the right mind set to do the work. Especially the stamping. It’s extremely easy to scrap heads when you’re tired or not paying attention. I’ve got drawers full of trashed heads simply because I wasn’t focused lol. So again, 500 orders with the kind of details he puts into them is a mountain of a task. This is another reason why I don’t do a lot of the real fancy stuff with all the special milling, engraving, character stamps, etc. I’ve realized there is a line you have to draw as to what level of customization you want to/can manage. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me on this, but at some point when you have such a wide variety of options, it’s easy to lose brand identity and start to blend in. Even if the quality and detail work is top level. My putters are not perfect, they are affordable and made to be played. I’m very open up front about what I can and cannot manage with custom options. Hopefully that keeps my name out of thread titles like this 😉

I feel like a tire kicker myself when I emailed you last week about ordering a Sunday. I still may place one but I really need a heavier head (370g) and would hate to put lead tape all over a custom putter.  I am considering having the putter done as mentioned and sending it to Bastain to have changeable weight ports added to the sole. May be my best option.  Regardless, we all appreciate your skill and communication to your consumers 😊

7 hours ago, Bsch189 said:

While the quality of his putters are meticulous, his poor/lack of communication with 6-9 months waiting queue hurts him. He’s got a few threads on this topic matter too.

Back on topic, one dude taking 500 customs orders is concerning. With a median of $1500 per putter upfront makes a great cashflow and ability to have 3 cnc's running his stock series for sure.

KB's wait list isn't 6-9 months, it's max 12 weeks right now and I'm in queue for that. Also his son is handling CS now and it's much, much better than before. 

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 6.0

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - NCW Boyd - and more. 

WITB Thread

I run a little machine shop and am dabbling in the custom putter business, I couldn't imagine keeping track of 500 orders be they putters or job shop parts, that is a wild number for someone to tackle themselves.

There seem to be some really great guys out there to get putters from right now and I'm sure more will come and go.  Someone like Olson with that turnover and relatively low overheads should be buying something better than the older CNC machines that he's got, that's some serious coin he's making at the prices that are being thrown around, he could be running lights out at least on the roughing programs.

• Like 2

He deleted my IG comments again, wonder how long I can keep reposting before he blocks me 🙂

• Like 2

Taylormade Sim 9° - Smoke Green 70x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X
TM HiToe 52°/56°/62° - HiRev 2.0
Mack Made Custom - KBS One Step
2016 RZN Platinum (15 dozen in the garage)

Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

A true professional welcomes criticism as much as praise and adoration.  

When you bugger something up, own it. 

• Like 1

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

I think a boutique putter maker could have a profitable business by producing the putter designs/finishes etc... he wants to make and then listing the finished putters for sale.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Tis a shame he's acting this way, his finishing is unreal but now I'll never buy one

• Like 2

Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

32 minutes ago, PixlPutterman said:

Tis a shame he's acting this way, his finishing is unreal but now I'll never buy one

I figured in the end with all the hassle I went through that the final product would make it all worth it, but I was wrong. Like others have said sometimes with any putter make the communication isn’t always perfect (which is understandable) the final product is worth it. Couldn’t be any more false with my situation. I went back through my emails today and my final sketch and there was 4 big details that were wrong. I even saw an email that he noted I wanted a black shaft instead of chrome and it still showed up with chrome. Like I stated in the original post I don’t like to call people out but I promise you won’t be missing out. 

I had no issues with my Olsen and I;m halfway around the world.  I guess it helps mine is also the "run of the mill" legacy" model and not a bespoke custom.

I don;t know Logan well and his intentions for the business ... I do suspect however, judging by his 2 web sales and the numbers moved, that that may be his business model and not so much be spoke orders as the mainstay.  Its not a bad model.  The money is good for him, he still makes very very high quality custom putters that's true to his design philosophy and the demand is very very high and customers get their putters with "no wait" so to speak as they are buying a ready made putter which in most cases may be more than what they would have dreamt up to begin with.

Just a hunch. 

Drivers : AGrindTypeDXanadu-DesignTuningIDV-JadeAdllerSankiPlanaria-Itobori-ReveToxicSevenDreamer
FW : ReveToxicSevenDreamer

UTs : A-Grind-Itobori
Irons : GrindStudioProto-ItoboriMXH-TitleistCNCPT02
Wedges : Artisan-GrindStudio-Orion
Putters : Benock-BPutters-Kitada-Machine-Masda-Nead-Slighter-Xenon

Another thing I've observed having been a patron to many custom putter makers.. while they are new (and hungry), the responses are superb on all counts.  Once they start to get some kind of scale, all communication efficiencies drop off.  I think the only exception to this observation in my experience is Kari Lajosi.

• Like 1

Drivers : AGrindTypeDXanadu-DesignTuningIDV-JadeAdllerSankiPlanaria-Itobori-ReveToxicSevenDreamer

2 minutes ago, LionGolfer said:

I had no issues with my Olsen and I;m halfway around the world.  I guess it helps mine is also the "run of the mill" legacy" model and not a bespoke custom.

I don;t know Logan well and his intentions for the business ... I do suspect however, judging by his 2 web sales and the numbers moved, that that may be his business model and not so much be spoke orders as the mainstay.  Its not a bad model.  The money is good for him, he still makes very very high quality custom putters that's true to his design philosophy and the demand is very very high and customers get their putters with "no wait" so to speak as they are buying a ready made putter which in most cases may be more than what they would have dreamt up to begin with.

Just a hunch. 

I think you’re spot on that. I think it would be better for him and the customers if they had custom ish models that were already made and ready to ship. Still very nice putters and great craftsmanship but wouldn’t have to deal with the hassle of emails and making sure the orders are right. 

As per an earlier post in the thread, I ordered a Bradley last Sunday and received confirmation of shipping today. I figured out which head it was via an image shared publicly on IG and am beyond impressed.  I’ll be sure to post images in a more appropriate thread when the putter arrives. 

• Like 1

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

OP - ever get a resolution?

Posted (edited)

Ive had a similar poor experience with Olson. He was extremely misleading about prices and quotes. He was extremely responsive with emails up until this point. However, When I asked for:

My deposit back - no response.

A portion of my deposit back - no response.

My deposit used towards the store - no response.

My bank ultimately granted me a chargeback, so it wasn't just me who noticed the poor experience and complete lack of communication. Everyone else, take your money elsewhere.

Edited by Gnarley
  • Like 2

This is certainly not pleasant to read.  I'm sorry for your experience.

6 hours ago, Champ2430 said:

No, never have heard back from him after numerous emails and messages on Instagram. Really poor business he runs and it’s sad to see him treat customers like this. 

I replied to his post yesterday saying too bad I can't get a reply back to an email from last fall, no reply yet to it either, crazy how these people operate!

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65

Titleist 915fd 15* Smoke 70S

Titleist 816 H2 19* Diamana 100X

Titleist 716 T-MB 4 Iron PX 6.5

Titleist 690 MB 5-PW PX 6.5/PXG 0311 T KBS C-Taper Stiff

Mizuno T20 52 & 56 PX 6.5, 61* S400

Piretti GOAT

• 4 weeks later...

I hit every one of his posts with a call out and complaint, he deletes every one of my comments.

Oddly enough he hasnt blocked me.

Wonder if you can file a BBB claim on him? 

1 hour ago, PixlPutterman said:

I hit every one of his posts with a call out and complaint, he deletes every one of my comments.

Oddly enough he hasnt blocked me.

Wonder if you can file a BBB claim on him? 

BBB reputations is just for boomers and people who think it's important. You can buy an A rating even with multiple complaints. 

• Like 1

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 6.0

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - NCW Boyd - and more. 

WITB Thread

On 5/23/2021 at 9:46 PM, luke1333 said:

I replied to his post yesterday saying too bad I can't get a reply back to an email from last fall, no reply yet to it either, crazy how these people operate!

update:

I sent another email and got reply back they are backed up for months and not taking custom orders. I feel lamb 2.0 coming? If you aren't taking orders and releasing putters to the public then gtfo imo. As much as I think Scotty is overrated and overpriced at least he does weekly drops and gives people the chance to overpay and get one. Guess people like Olson and Lamb are too big for their own good. I am sure most people won't agree with me on their business model but I think its lame!

Piretti GOAT

Its crazy that he has time to delete a comment but not reply.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the business model, if you buy a Lamb/Olson etc., aren't you buying the fact that that guy is going to be making the putter, there are only so many hours in the day I guess and with the bets will in the world there is a limit to what can be produced.

Plenty of options out there either way.

• Like 1

Seems like a scheme he has going, take SOOO long so that a chargeback cant be filed, then ignore the customer when you screw them over.

I will never buy one of his, not even second hand.

On a side note, my Mack Made is being finished this week and the process has been GREAT.

No description available.

9 hours ago, MPix53 said:

Its crazy that he has time to delete a comment but not reply.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the business model, if you buy a Lamb/Olson etc., aren't you buying the fact that that guy is going to be making the putter, there are only so many hours in the day I guess and with the bets will in the world there is a limit to what can be produced.

Plenty of options out there either way.

That’s what’s funny. He didn’t respond to any of my messages on Instagram but has the time to reply to comments and delete others he didn’t like. You think if you spend 2k with a guy he would be a little nicer to you than random comments on his post but I guess I’m wrong lol.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, PixlPutterman said:

Seems like a scheme he has going, take SOOO long so that a chargeback cant be filed, then ignore the customer when you screw them over.

I will never buy one of his, not even second hand.

On a side note, my Mack Made is being finished this week and the process has been GREAT.

No description available.

I’m in the same boat. I used to want an Olson, but after the long line of negative feedback I won’t even entertain a secondhand purchase. I prefer to support (either primary or secondary) people that don’t screw over others. I personally have never seen a post on Golfwrx where Mackmade, Lajosi, TP Mills, (name many others), etc. have screwed someone over. There’s an art to “ignoring” a “non-buyer’s” inquiry. And there’s also an art to quickly responding to a “potential buyer’s” inquiry. TP Mills and Lajosi have that down to an arty-science. Seriously, reach out to them with “no purchase” feelers and you’ll never hear back. If you have “actual purchaser” potential, you’ll hear back immediately. Go figure. Money talks.

Edited by jonradus
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, jonradus said:

I’m in the same boat. I used to want an Olson, but after the long line of negative feedback I won’t even entertain a secondhand purchase. I prefer to support (either primary or secondary) people that don’t screw over others. I personally have never seen a post on Golfwrx where Mackmade, Lajosi, TP Mills, (name many others), etc. have screwed someone over. There’s an art to “ignoring” a “non-buyer’s” inquiry. And there’s also an art to quickly responding to a “potential buyer’s” inquiry. TP Mills and Lajosi have that down to an arty-science. Seriously, reach out to them with “no purchase” feelers and you’ll never hear back. If you have “actual purchaser” potential, you’ll hear back immediately. Go figure. Money talks.

Lajosi is top notch. I talked to him a few years ago about just a custom DD201 and he gave me some options. I never bought at that time, fast forward a year later I inquired again. Once again he was extremely helpful and went ahead and ordered one! Price was reasonable, replied back quickly even though he is in Australia, made some last minute changes that I wanted without an issue and was done in 4-6 weeks from paid to on my door! I can't get a reply from Olson well took 4-6 months just to get a reply! Next custom I want I will go back to Lajosi just because I like his work and he is personable. Crazy how Olson and Lamb can't pull that off!

• Like 1

Piretti GOAT

1 hour ago, luke1333 said:

Lajosi is top notch. I talked to him a few years ago about just a custom DD201 and he gave me some options. I never bought at that time, fast forward a year later I inquired again. Once again he was extremely helpful and went ahead and ordered one! Price was reasonable, replied back quickly even though he is in Australia, made some last minute changes that I wanted without an issue and was done in 4-6 weeks from paid to on my door! I can't get a reply from Olson well took 4-6 months just to get a reply! Next custom I want I will go back to Lajosi just because I like his work and he is personable. Crazy how Olson and Lamb can't pull that off!

Mack Made is an other great option. Josey is a pleasure to work with

• Like 1