Before buying an Olson putter

6 hours ago, MattM97 said:

It is really nice but like you said a lot of what you didn't ask for would leave a sour taste in your mouth despite how much you like it. It could be a very nice putter that feels great but not 100% what you asked for which is the whole point of custom. 

Right.  If im spending 2500 plus on a putter and it shows up any less than exactly what I asked for that 💩 is headed right back to them.  Screw that noise.. I’ll never ever order from Olson due to reading stuff like this.  I’ve spent a quarter of what his cost and received exactly what I want. 

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 9*  KBS TD Cat4

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

6 minutes ago, Phabs said:

Right.  If im spending 2500 plus on a putter and it shows up any less than exactly what I asked for that 💩 is headed right back to them.  Screw that noise.. I’ll never ever order from Olson due to reading stuff like this.  I’ve spent a quarter of what his cost and received exactly what I want. 

Doesn't have to be an Olson just anyone in general. Like I looked at the pics first and was like "wow this is a really nice putter' which it is, but then read the story and while nice it's not what he ordered and while nice there's always that little "Hey remember this one thing you wish this had?" going on in your head.

I'm in talks with another putter maker, I'm about to spend more than I've ever spent on a putter or thought I'd ever spend on a putter and I'm going to make damn sure my order sheet is exactly how I want it and he told me to check. But I've been told you get what you ask for and that's why I'm spending so much with this putter maker, he build what customs ask for.

• Like 3

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 6.0

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Trad II - Lajosi Sensor - Kingdom Putter - - and more. 

WITB Thread

19 hours ago, nick said:

Ok here is my take on my order with Logan. I ordered in December was told 7 months and I received in November. After numerous emails he told me the putter was finished he was just waiting on headcovers to get in. A few weeks later I see my putter being made in on his Instagram stories then posted the next few days on a actual post. So he lied to me there. Didn’t ask me what color cover or grip I wanted and ended up with a brown cover. Luckily I traded it with someone who had a black one. When I received the putter I recognized he had stamped the sole of the putter which I didn’t ask for with the weight and type of metal used. In a email after it was received he said he does this to all his putters which I think is BS. He gives you a letter of authenticity. No need to stamp it on putter. Wish he would of mentioned that prior.  The last thing that I didn’t like was I asked for the hosel to be milled square so it was the same diameter as the top line. I have noticed from other putters his hosels are wider and doesn’t look right. I receive the putter and only the face side of the hosel is milled and the other side is not. He told me that was intentional. Again not what I asked for. Never seen a putter like that.

Now for the good stuff. The putter is absolutely beautiful. The attention to detail is incredible. The ball rolls so well off face it went straight into the bag. I’ve gotten a lot of looks from people asking what is that? Will I order another Olson putter? Probably not. It took a long time, was very expensive and was not perfect as to what I wanted. Will the putter stay in my bag a while? You betcha. 

He makes great stuff. I think once he gets a staff so he can solely focus on making putters you will see his work become as popular as Tyson Lamb someday. Take a look at the pictures and let me Know what you think. FAB028F0-84AF-4349-82C5-5006B46839D7.jpeg.19192d58fe48a4a23fad953465965012.jpegB359C912-5684-43E9-BD67-3D3CEFE5F090.jpeg.5d49024d32ea735b489924c5904523df.jpeg9394D636-5D43-4C2E-89E5-B50869BE8709.jpeg.3ac034f550998e2826cd9ff6ed07f1f6.jpeg5F34835D-763F-4A0D-9FF0-390FE1F14B54.jpeg.ce4a520e58950323d04b16b75e6ff93e.jpegF4897464-EE4C-4F11-AD56-DEA12F64E194.jpeg.8ef256cddb7337e84e0926ecf7819068.jpeg

I’ve done a bunch of customs and the maker always does a little of his own flair on the piece somewhere. I think that when ordering a boutique art putter, you have to expect a little variability…like the stamping on the bottom, which is actually awesome IMO. With that being stated, he should have flattened the backside of that hosel if that’s what you wanted. However, that feature may weaken the hosel. Maybe that was his thought process. Nice putter BTW. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jonradus said:

I’ve done a bunch of customs and the maker always does a little of his own flair on the piece somewhere. I think that when ordering a boutique art putter, you have to expect a little variability…like the stamping on the bottom, which is actually awesome IMO. With that being stated, he should have flattened the backside of that hosel if that’s what you wanted. However, that feature may weaken the hosel. Maybe that was his thought process. Nice putter BTW. 

That still defeats the point of a custom in my eye. If you (putter maker) can't/won't deliver EXACTLY what's on your customer's order sheet, that needs to be communicated with the customer. 

Whether it's based on some kind of policy (such as a putter must have the maker's name stamped, putter specs, etc.) or an issue with the build itself. The end result of it still looking cool is irrelevant if it's not what the customer ordered. That's the entire point of custom putter builds. I as the customer can get exactly what I want. If what I want needs to go through some design filter of the maker's, that's totally understandable, but I would like that communicated with me before I drop a lot of money and wait months and months for the putter to arrive only to receive something different (even if only slightly) than I ordered.

Edited by Scotty1140
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 11/22/2021 at 1:39 AM, nick said:

Ok here is my take on my order with Logan. I ordered in December was told 7 months and I received in November. After numerous emails he told me the putter was finished he was just waiting on headcovers to get in. A few weeks later I see my putter being made in on his Instagram stories then posted the next few days on a actual post. So he lied to me there. Didn’t ask me what color cover or grip I wanted and ended up with a brown cover. Luckily I traded it with someone who had a black one. When I received the putter I recognized he had stamped the sole of the putter which I didn’t ask for with the weight and type of metal used. In a email after it was received he said he does this to all his putters which I think is BS. He gives you a letter of authenticity. No need to stamp it on putter. Wish he would of mentioned that prior.  The last thing that I didn’t like was I asked for the hosel to be milled square so it was the same diameter as the top line. I have noticed from other putters his hosels are wider and doesn’t look right. I receive the putter and only the face side of the hosel is milled and the other side is not. He told me that was intentional. Again not what I asked for. Never seen a putter like that.

Now for the good stuff. The putter is absolutely beautiful. The attention to detail is incredible. The ball rolls so well off face it went straight into the bag. I’ve gotten a lot of looks from people asking what is that? Will I order another Olson putter? Probably not. It took a long time, was very expensive and was not perfect as to what I wanted. Will the putter stay in my bag a while? You betcha. 

He makes great stuff. I think once he gets a staff so he can solely focus on making putters you will see his work become as popular as Tyson Lamb someday. Take a look at the pictures and let me Know what you think. FAB028F0-84AF-4349-82C5-5006B46839D7.jpeg.19192d58fe48a4a23fad953465965012.jpegB359C912-5684-43E9-BD67-3D3CEFE5F090.jpeg.5d49024d32ea735b489924c5904523df.jpeg9394D636-5D43-4C2E-89E5-B50869BE8709.jpeg.3ac034f550998e2826cd9ff6ed07f1f6.jpeg5F34835D-763F-4A0D-9FF0-390FE1F14B54.jpeg.ce4a520e58950323d04b16b75e6ff93e.jpegF4897464-EE4C-4F11-AD56-DEA12F64E194.jpeg.8ef256cddb7337e84e0926ecf7819068.jpeg

It's tough putting so much time, thought, energy and money into a project like this and not getting back what you've had in mind during your months long wait. But my man, I also have to say that is one of the most beautiful putters I've ever seen and something I didn't know I needed in my life until now lol! If the time ever comes and you feel like moving on, let me know and I'll gladly slip that in my bag any day. Just gorgeous.

• Like 1

I think the entire point is once you are going "custom", you better deliver what you said you would.... And the entire problem here is that not only does Logan NOT do that, he refuses to communicate OR make things right.

Obviously each maker will have limitations, but if you refuse to communicate that......it's not acceptable at $500-$800 let alone what Logan charges.

Can you imagine paying for a piece unique Bentley, waiting a year, not getting what you asked for and having zero recourse?

Obviously it's still "a nice car" but that's NOT THE POINT.

I had no problem getting exactly what I wanted with Josie at Mack Made, and any small limitations that came up were discussed.

So there's zero reason that Logan can't provide same level of service especially given how much more intricate his finishing work is, he clearly has the ability to meet customers needs but doesn't have the conviction to do what's right

Edited by PixlPutterman
  • Like 2

Taylormade Sim2 9° (set to 7°) - Fujikura Pro 53k X  -  Taylormade 300 Mini 11.5° (set to 9.5°) - Rip Alpha 60x

Ping G410 LST 9° (set to 8°) - Tensi Raw Orange 60x  -  Callaway Tour Epic Flash ♦♦♦ 8° (set to 6°) - WhiteBoard 73x

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo Tour Spec X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X
Cleveland Zipcore 50°/54°/58°  - Tour S400
Mack Made Custom - Toulon Memphis - Stability in both
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

9 hours ago, thepunch_out said:

It's tough putting so much time, thought, energy and money into a project like this and not getting back what you've had in mind during your months long wait. But my man, I also have to say that is one of the most beautiful putters I've ever seen and something I didn't know I needed in my life until now lol! If the time ever comes and you feel like moving on, let me know and I'll gladly slip that in my bag any day. Just gorgeous.

Will let you know. Thanks 

I suppose I've been fortunate in that all the custom putters I have ordered have been made exactly to what I wanted, in terms of design, fabrication, stamping and finish.   I've ordered maybe six or seven custom putters from Byron Morgan and David Mills and still own three of them (two from Byron and one from David).  I agree with those who say that custom putters should be made to the buyers specs and preferences.  There are some putter makers who will put their own spin on a design and for those who want that then that's great.  For those who want total design control from what is offered that's also great.  For me every putter was a collaboration and both Byron and David discussed the project with me.  I described what I was looking for and they explained how what I wanted would perform and we found options that would work on the design aspect.  With regard to stampings every putter was stamped the way I wanted.  At the end of the day it's my putter and I want it they way I want it but taking in consideration that the design is going to work my stroke.

Edited by RobotDoctor

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Ben Hogan Icon blades 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on