Does anyone enjoy practicing/learning more than playing?

Not now but when younger I did. I’m just realizing my game needs at 62 some warmup on the range though before starting a round. 

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

I've really come to enjoy practicing since I had kids. Not as big of a commitment in terms of time or effort. I can spend two or three very happy hours around the practice green, that's for sure.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

To play the game well, time must be devoted to practicing.  That being said, hitting balls on the range has always been boring after a while for me.  If I have the opportunity to play the course vs. practice range, I will always choose playing.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5° A-1 setting Aldila Tour Green 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

39 minutes ago, jut111 said:

I hear ya. I’d rather spend an hour putting and chipping on a nice practice green (I call it my happy place) rather then slog through a 5 hour round on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. 

This is why I'm greatful I don't have to play weekend golf, and if I choose to, we're the first or second group out.

With Covid though, even some weekdays are getting slow...

Ping G425 LST 10.5 Oban Devotion 6/04 or Riptide 60 CB 5.5
Epic Speed 16.5 HZRDUS Smoke im10 70 6.0
Ping G410 19* Riptide CB 80

Ping G410 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
Apex 21 6-GW Recoil Dart 75 
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 54/14
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 58/12

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33”

TM Tour Response/ ProV1/ Chrome Soft TT

Posted (edited)

I love playing more than practicing.  Always been this way since high school and on.  I would spend 3+ hours at the driving range and practice area at El Caballero CC, 5 days a week when I was playing on my college team.  Nowadays I'm too busy to be practicing that much but try to get a range session and two rounds of golf on a weekly basis.  

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Diamana PD 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

I enjoy practicing very much.... just not AS MUCH as playing.

BT

• Like 1

Cobra LTD Pro 9.5° Proforce V2 Black 7F4 @ 44.5"
Cobra LTD Black 14.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
Cobra F6 16.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Oddysey Stroke Lab V-Line Blk 33.5"

The last two Summers, oct too march in NZ,i have had too relearn the Swing..just due too not enough golf,no longer driving past a Range on the way too work,and a favourite golf course becoming a road.........feb/march 2020 i relearnt everything and rebuilt fresh bladed 10 days before 6 week covid lockdown🤔 fast Ford to this xmas...i peaked mid january 4 pars in 9 holes so happy there!

April i watched swing fundamental videos ChrisRyan in UK..plus ShaunClements...so last sunday went too range and i got a Great Easy Repeatable Swing at my peak 94/95mph...and straight mid hi with 917d3  so next 3 months will work on Lag,Openness at Impact with nice weight shift🤗 looking for extra 3 to 5 mph .....ps smoking the steel shafted 18 V Steel at the range 👍

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

I love to practice. I can go to the range every day! I can practice hitting nothing but 4,5,6 irons for a couple hours at a time.  I especially love practicing 10-60 yards pitches and chips. About the only club I don't really practice with much is the driver.

I used to go every morning and practice putting before work. I can practice regularly and not miss playing, except when I don't play enough my score doesn't improve, even if I'm hitting the ball a little better. I can't really simulate the shots I end up with on the course.

Put me down with you @jetandollieI love practicing.

My favorite practice is to go out on the course when it's empty and try all kinds of things. I'll toss a couple balls into the rough and behind a tree and begin trying different shots - high, low, hook, slice, maybe where the loft needed to clear the tree going high is not enough club by a few clubs. I might try a 3 ball worst ball scramble. 

For the last year, I haven't found the course empty very often though.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Confessions of a range rat:

For a long time I avoided playing, especially with others. I took solace in long sessions on the range. I avoided playing because I was fearful of taking my game to the course. And the more I practiced the more fearful of playing I got. What was I scared of? Well, to be honest I was scared of seeing the time and dedication Id put in to practice not translating to performance on the course. And like a self-fulfilling prophecy this came true many times. Hours on the range, thousands of balls hit, hundreds of dollars spent and still Id hack around.

I had to change my mindset. Previously as I was scraping and hitting on the range my thought was “the more I practice the better I should play” and my self expectations and related anxiety would rise. I became the definition of a range rat. I cant remember the last time I saw another player park up on the range hit it better than me to be honest. Bearing in mind 99% of my practice has been at public courses. Yet I know now that everywhere Im surrounded by holistically better golfers. It has taken me years to realise that for me, personally, there is no correlation to practice on the range to performance on course - for full swing practice to be specific. Those sweetly struck iron shots off the mat would turn into chunks and emotional depression.

Ive now increased my focus on short game practice in a meaningful, game based context. The jury is still out on how well this is translating to on-course performance.

Regarding full swing practice - I still enjoy whacking balls. But its purely for the fun of it now. Like last night when I met up with a mate for some banter and ball bashing. Or Ill go play Toptracer virtual golf. Endlessly hitting ball after ball on my lonesome just gets in my head and leads to paralysis by analysis with my technique. There is nothing to be gained. Just wasted time, money and back ache. Again - this is my personal experience only. It will of course differ for everyone else. Playing on course is a priority for me now. I still have major anxieties when it comes to competition golf which sees me want to avoid it. So playing socially with friends and by myself is my preferable way to enjoy the game now.

Edited by Wormkiller
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Wormkiller said:

Confessions of a range rat:

For a long time I avoided playing, especially with others. I took solace in long sessions on the range. I avoided playing because I was fearful of taking my game to the course. And the more I practiced the more fearful of playing I got. What was I scared of? Well, to be honest I was scared of seeing the time and dedication Id put in to practice not translating to performance on the course. And like a self-fulfilling prophecy this came true many times. Hours on the range, thousands of balls hit, hundreds of dollars spent and still Id hack around.

I had to change my mindset. Previously as I was scraping and hitting on the range my thought was “the more I practice the better I should play” and my self expectations and related anxiety would rise. I became the definition of a range rat. I cant remember the last time I saw another player park up on the range hit it better than me to be honest. Bearing in mind 99% of my practice has been at public courses. Yet I know now that everywhere Im surrounded by holistically better golfers. It has taken me years to realise that for me, personally, there is no correlation to practice on the range to performance on course - for full swing practice to be specific. Those sweetly struck iron shots off the mat would turn into chunks and emotional depression.

Ive now increased my focus on short game practice in a meaningful, game based context. The jury is still out on how well this is translating to on-course performance.

Regarding full swing practice - I still enjoy whacking balls. But its purely for the fun of it now. Like last night when I met up with a mate for some banter and ball bashing. Or Ill go play Toptracer virtual golf. Endlessly hitting ball after ball on my lonesome just gets in my head and leads to paralysis by analysis with my technique. There is nothing to be gained. Just wasted time, money and back ache. Again - this is my personal experience only. It will of course differ for everyone else. Playing on course is a priority for me now. I still have major anxieties when it comes to competition golf which sees me want to avoid it. So playing socially with friends and by myself is my preferable way to enjoy the game now.

Whoa.  Over analysis by paralysis.  You're overthinking it.  Practice should be foreplay.  Playing should be the orgasm/climax.  Don't worry so much about how you do out on the course.  Just have fun and relax whether it be by playing by yourself or a group of friends.  Golf should be fun, not frustrating.  😉 

• Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Diamana PD 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

14 hours ago, jetandollie said:

Not sure if it is a byproduct of COVID slamming courses and making tee times so difficult to get, but over the past 8-12 months I have found myself enjoying hitting balls and spending time (lots of time) on the putting green and chipping area. The same relaxation and "flow" that I used to get from playing 5-6 times per week is now more than satisfied with an hour or two of daily practice or reading old golf theory books. I play 90% of my rounds by myself (almost always paired with 2-3 others), and playing multiple 4 1/2 to 5 hour rounds per week is starting to feel like a chore where a late night 6 to 9 holes with a ball or two after practice is much more enjoyable. 

Anyone else in the same boat? 

I'm totally with you on this one. The most enjoyment I get outside of competing in a proper medal or playing for stressful sums of money is the late or super early 9 holes I play by myself. My daily game is to tee off with one ball and then play the rest of the hole as a 4 ball worst ball scramble. You get as much practice in as you would at the range but with all the enjoyment of a round. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Not sure I really separate practicing & playing at this point. I'm 35 and have played for about 12 years. I'm trying to eliminate the final few strokes from my game and get closer to scratch. Physically, yes, there is a difference between practice and play but holistically, it's all part of one process. 

I don't have some master plan mind you, I merely do this for enjoyment. I'm not on some regimen with some goal in front of me. I merely recognize that as the 4-5 index I am, there's a lot of potential in merely being more consistent, in not wasting strokes. 

If I'm really practicing, then it's not all fun and relaxation. A lot of it is purposefully challenging: working out swing kinks and feels, aiming at actual targets, randomizing my shots/lies, etc.

Out on the course is the culmination of all that in-between time. You could say it's a test, I suppose. It's more like another type of practice to me. Golf doesn't stop after any given round. It's practice followed by play followed by more practice, etc.

I can't imagine playing w/o practice or vice versa. It's all one thing to me. I don't really enjoy one part of it any more than another. Maybe it would help if I did, IDK? I do sense some that are better than me do enjoy putting a little more. They seem a bit more at home on the greens. I'm working now to embrace more of that attitude, although it's generally good for all areas of the game. 

Edited by MelloYello

SIM Dr (10.5o) (Tensei Pro Orange 60TX)
SIM 3w (17o) (Tensei Pro White 60TX)

M6 7w (21o) (Diamana Blue 70S)

z785 (4-Pw) (Modus3 Tour120)
SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
Newport 2 Select

On 5/7/2021 at 8:45 AM, jetandollie said:

Not sure if it is a byproduct of COVID slamming courses and making tee times so difficult to get, but over the past 8-12 months I have found myself enjoying hitting balls and spending time (lots of time) on the putting green and chipping area. The same relaxation and "flow" that I used to get from playing 5-6 times per week is now more than satisfied with an hour or two of daily practice or reading old golf theory books. I play 90% of my rounds by myself (almost always paired with 2-3 others), and playing multiple 4 1/2 to 5 hour rounds per week is starting to feel like a chore where a late night 6 to 9 holes with a ball or two after practice is much more enjoyable. 

Anyone else in the same boat? 

Many people enjoy “Top Golf” for the very reasons you outlined.

An added benefit is a more relaxing social environment.

I enjoy both. 

I’d love to have access to a great short game area for those shots inside 100 yards. I make do with one at the closest muni. At the very least there’s decent turf there and a broad variety of lies to work with. 

Some of my most enjoyable range sessions seem to happen when I call up a buddy, and we have a couple cans of beer while shooting the crap and hitting a small bucket. 

Callaway Big Bertha 21 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+

Callaway Rogue 4 wood

Srixon ZU85 4/23

Srixon Z565 w/ Matrix Ozik F15 shafts 5-PW

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX4 54* and 58*

Cleveland Huntington Beach #11S

On 5/7/2021 at 4:51 PM, sittingbull said:

One of my playing buddies must hit 100 balls a day in his back yard _his back yard is over 800 yards_ and this last winter he got a golf simulator and hit just about every day. He loves it and its starting to pay off on the course. But me personally i get bored real fast on the range 

This is me. I’m blessed with room to practice at home.  Built a putting green , and a driver range and a wedge range. Then a 170-160-150 target range for irons.  I get to play once a week tops nowadays. But I practice everyday .  Never played better.   In fact I’m headed out in a few to pick the driver range this morning!    If I didn’t have the space to practice , I’d quit the game i have no doubt.  

• Like 1

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

Titleist 915 FD 13.5 Rombax P95x 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

Titleist T100 4-gap MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX ( testing ) 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

I enjoy practicing as much if not more than playing.  Partly because I don't have the time to play that much, but I also like the price of practicing over playing.

• Like 1

2016 Taylormade M2 9.5* w/Fujikura Pro 60 stiff
Titleist 917 F3 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 stiff
Callaway RazrX Tour stock shaft stiff/Mizuno MP-30 2 iron with Rifle 6.0 shaft
Bridgestone J 40DPC w/Aerotech Steelfibers 95 r
50*, 54*, 58* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125
Odessey White Hot #5