Have Players Distance/Power Blades made SGI's obsolete?

I gotta be honest, i have played G10's, G15's, G410's as many of you know....

Playing the Cobra Forged TEC now, i am absolutely shocked at how easy the 4 and 5 irons are to hit. SHOCKED. Now i am a good ballstriker (currently a 0.5) but i still mishit balls just like anyone. I elevate the Forged TECs better than the G410s, directionally they are great, slightly off center they perform

The shafts i'm using are different -- Modus 130s versus S300s....however these shafts aren't crazy different. Maybe a what, 5-10% higher trajectory with the Nippons?

I can't believe i'm saying this, but the Players Distance seem to do everything an SGI does in a way sexier package and one with better sound/feel

The Ping G series is obsolete. There I said it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Epic Subzero 9 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Callaway Epc Subzero 13 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
Callaway Apex 2019 20 w/PX Catalyst 70
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I gotta be honest, i have played G10's, G15's, G410's as many of you know....   Playing the Cobra Forged TEC now, i am absolutely shocked at how easy the 4 and 5 irons are to hit. SHOCKED. N

I think you just need less help than you give yourself credit for. I play a club that is a stretch for my current abilities, but it forces me to focus on my mechanics.   There are times I th

disagree on this one Jeff, played club day today with an old boy with TM Speedblades (quite a popular set at my club for old timers and weekend warriors) with graphite shafts, he got very sick a coupl

Posted Images

I think you just need less help than you give yourself credit for. I play a club that is a stretch for my current abilities, but it forces me to focus on my mechanics.

There are times I think maybe an SGI set with a few beers would be more relaxing.

• Like 2

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

14 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Playing the Cobra Forged TEC now, i am absolutely shocked at how easy the 4 and 5 irons are to hit. SHOCKED. Now i am a good ballstriker (currently a 0.5) but i still mishit balls just like anyone. I elevate the Forged TECs better than the G410s, directionally they are great, slightly off center they perform

The shafts i'm using are different -- Modus 130s versus S300s....however these shafts aren't crazy different. Maybe a what, 5-10% higher trajectory with the Nippons?

I can't believe i'm saying this, but the Players Distance seem to do everything an SGI does in a way sexier package and one with better sound/feel

I tend to agree with you. I believe Players Distance/ Forged Hollow Body will take over the market for all but those who have the skill and speed to play a true one piece forged blade. The level of forgiveness you can get from a nice compact shape gives you the best of both worlds. The only draw back I can see from the PD category is the lower spin. But that can mitigated my going to a more traditional loft progression.

Your Cobras have a lower COG than the 410s so that may explain why you find them easier to launch

• Like 1

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

8 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

Your Cobras have a lower COG than the 410s so that may explain why you find them easier to launch

Seems crazy given the look of the Cobra with the G410s having that big flange back there!

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

24 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Seems crazy given the look of the Cobra with the G410s having that big flange back there!

Cobra-.786 vs Ping .846 VCOG as per Maltby measurements.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I currently play Ping Rapture irons, and I really wonder what it would be like to play with the new "distance player irons". TM P790's, Cobra Forge TEC's, Ping i210's, etc. 

I'm a ~15 handicap, with good ball striking (not 0.5 handicap good) and crappy putting/short game. 

These "distance player" irons are certainly intriguing. 

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

Nothing wrong with Hollow & Tungsten weighted GI hidden inside a blade look.  Damn, a 44' PW too.  You're going to get in trouble with someone, just not sure who?  LOL

• Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW - Tensei AV White "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 - Tensei AV White "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 Tensei AV White "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • Dash-ProV1x, AVX, ProV1

I agree 

I played GI irons for the longest time and I moved to the apex pro and didn’t notice any difference and they are still very easy to play

and I’m a 14

Epic Max LS + Diamana ZF / TS2 3W + Diamana BF / TS2 4H || TS2 7W + Tensei CK Pro Blue || Diamana B / GAPR Lo 4 + MMT UT  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon Las Vegas +  KBS CT Tour

I recently switched from PXG 0311t, hollow filled tech back to Srixon ZX7, solid forged with placed tungsten weight.  I switch for better dispersion, the PXG would occasionally get a low spinning flyer that went way too long.  Never got a great dispersion from it, but the PXG definitely go far for a blade looking iron.  I don’t feel the Srixon are any harder to hit, the low placed weight I think helps a bunch.

disagree on this one Jeff, played club day today with an old boy with TM Speedblades (quite a popular set at my club for old timers and weekend warriors) with graphite shafts, he got very sick a couple of years back and lost alot of distance/height, hit well enough but i couldnt for the life of me see him hitting Apex Pro, i500 or T100 or what ever else comprises of this "players distance' category that has just sprung up from nowhere.

could i see him playing shovel Sim Max yes, P770 thats a no from me dawg.

as much as it pains me to say it as a young(ish) WRX whipper snapper ....

"long live power bat shovels".

• Like 2

Epic Speed  G400 2H  G410 4H  X-Forged UT  Apex Pro '19  PM Grind 2.0  Newport 3

Im glad someone else is saying it now... i have mizuno mp5s which are blades and i have mmc mp 20 which are margionally bigger then the 20 blades barely. Both of my irons are great and play as if they are gi irons that can be worked more severly and virtually no ballooning... maybe once a round maybeee. Granted the mp5s are know to be one of the most forgiving blades probably ever... but... they are smaller a touch barely side by side to the mmc... so they are blade size. You wouldnt believe i hit the blade further then the mmc but its true. Mark crossfield touched on this and its true... he said he thinks theres only minimal loses to be had with blades for just ok ball strikers. Obviously if your lacking alot of distance which there is no problem with... as i also dont hit far... this is where the gi come more into play. I hit my 7 150? 155? Im ok with that and the players irons get me there still

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Most SGI irons nowadays have high-COR faces don't they? And the lofts/length/lies are in the same ballpark. So the main differences in the categories you're describing seem to be the overall clubhead size/shape (which is probably more of a visual preference than playing difference) and the "players" irons also have somewhat thinner soles.

Seems like in playing terms, the different categories of high-MOI high-tech iron irons are either medium-width soles (players distance irons) or wide soles (super game improvement irons). Along with a more compact versus more bulky visual effect. Either category is going to have plenty of distances capability. 

Sounds like we should play the one that matches our sole-width need and preference. They are all high ballspeed, low spin with plenty of heel-toe forgiveness. I know for my own game, the wider soles are much more forgiving of poor low-point control so I prefer "SGI".

Edited by North Butte
  • Like 1
48 minutes ago, North Butte said:

Most SGI irons nowadays have high-COR faces don't they? And the lofts/length/lies are in the same ballpark. So the main differences in the categories you're describing seem to be the overall clubhead size/shape (which is probably more of a visual preference than playing difference) and the "players" irons also have somewhat thinner soles.

Seems like in playing terms, the different categories of high-MOI high-tech iron irons are either medium-width soles (players distance irons) or wide soles (super game improvement irons). Along with a more compact versus more bulky visual effect. Either category is going to have plenty of distances capability. 

Sounds like we should play the one that matches our sole-width need and preference. They are all high ballspeed, low spin with plenty of heel-toe forgiveness. I know for my own game, the wider soles are much more forgiving of poor low-point control so I prefer "SGI".

+1 on the sole for those that get along with wide ones better.  Also the confidence inspiring shovel size comfort blanket look for the higher caps and the Gs will stay popular!  But yeah Players Distance look nicer and nicer 😌 

• Like 1

D1 Adams XTD, 70M4X D2 Titleist TS2, D+72X 5W Titleist 915F, D+80X

3I Srixon Z 545 4H Adams S 9031 6I-PW Mizuno MP-54, C Taper Lite X

GW Nike VPC, Tour V X 54, 60 Cleveland CBX, DG S300 Cure CX3

37 minutes ago, joostin said:

+1 on the sole for those that get along with wide ones better.  Also the confidence inspiring shovel size comfort blanket look for the higher caps and the Gs will stay popular!  But yeah Players Distance look nicer and nicer 😌 

That's where i210 shines......big enough sole to inspire confidence but hidden not to distract from the eye......plus the added elastomer in cavity adds to great feel

4 iron pics:

received_296117841991855.jpeg.362054b997579434cec8d8508b03321c.jpegreceived_1437132663288894.jpeg.5468acdf86e70e5863ca0f4bddced4f9.jpegreceived_2854025751479484.jpeg.bc738e75f03dda7be5d4cae33b23e3bf.jpegreceived_754815558539508.jpeg.881936b96a953f01ebc6ce730aabbfc5.jpeg

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Bad9 said:

Cobra-.786 vs Ping .846 VCOG as per Maltby measurements.

I don’t think this is correct. I think they are measuring from a fixed point or something. All of the Ping CGs are quite high and I think it’s because of the crazy high bounce. A G is so easy to launch its stupid. 

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* Ventus Black 6x

Callaway EFSZ @ 14* Ventus Blue 7x

Callaway Rogue SZ TC 5w Tour AD TP 8x (Gamer) | Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x | Callaway TC Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X

Callaway X-Forged UT 24* Project X 6.0

Callaway Apex MB 5-PW Project X 6.5 | Srixon z745 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey JDM Forged 50F & 56M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Taylormade Hi-Toe 4-Way Chrome 60.10 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 (Gamer) | Odyssey White Hot Pro #1 | Byron Morgan DH89 34/70*/2*

Taylormade TP5X 2021

Linksouldier 

Seems to me like SGI is more about helping slicers than anything else. If somebody needs help from their clubs but naturally hits a draw and fights a hook then most (if not all) of the SGI clubs will make them miserable.

It's why I lump clubs like the T100 and MP20 MMC into GI in discussions here, albeit on the borderline of GI. For a player who naturally does not fight a slice and wants traditional looks these clubs can provide plenty of forgiveness.

17 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

There is the visual comfort/confidence that help some players want/need when using an SGI- BUT I will say if the feel and sound of the G425 is any indication of where we are going with GI/SFI, then yes I proclaim then dead as well lol

D:Cobra SZ Xtreme 9*
3W:Taylormade RBZ Tour 3
3H:Titleist 816H1 20*
DI: Callaway UT 21*
Irons: Ping iE1 5-UW
SW: Titleist SM8 56-S
LW: Callaway PM Grind 1.0 60*
Putter: Ping 2021 Fetch 

Power blades, as they’ve been  nicknamed, are not replacing SGI. If one is distance starved and likes the look of a smaller clubhead, then boom, “power blades” should fit your game. If  you need help elevating the ball AND need distance, then the SGI  labeled style iron is where one should look. I’m sure several of the SGI style irons are built to help correct a slice these days as well. To each his own, pick wha to you like and go play golf, regardless of what type iron you play, be it SGI, Players CB, blade, or all hybrids, just enjoy & respect the game please!!!!!

For me it comes down to sole width.  Most of the players distance clubs have considerably thinner soles than the SGI clubs.  I’m a bit of a picker and those wide soles give me issues, so for me something like apex pros are a good fit and something that should be even easier to hit with a wide sole, is more difficult.  For most people new to the game though, those wide soles may add quite a bit of forgiveness and really help some fat shots turn out not so bad.  

As a player of both at one point or another, the main reason I played blades for most of my golfing life is because of the feel I get when I hit the ball. Cavity back clubs have been a part of my setup in my longer irons mostly due to the perimeter weighting and the increase forgiveness. The distance element has never really been a focal point in my decision to play one versus the other. Now with the advent of strong lofted irons, it just means I am playing a 8 iron versus a  7 iron. more of a play on stamping of your clubs because the lofts dont equate the same anymore. What ever helps today's golfer. Golf is such a personal game that clubs are the number one thing to get fitted for to make sure it fits not only the look, but the performance, sound and feel. 

TaylorMade R1 Motore Speeder 757X
TaylorMade Aeroburner 15* Graphite Design BB6S

TaylorMade SLDR 20* Motore 8.3 Tour Spec X

Wilson Staff Blades Black Recoil 95S 4-Pw

Wilson Staff Model 52/56/64 TI X100

TaylorMade Ghost Tour Long Neck
Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

people simulate playing better players irons. 😂 it’s either play something that demands your attention or play the mishit. 
which one are you? 🤣🤣

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

3 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I don’t think this is correct. I think they are measuring from a fixed point or something. All of the Ping CGs are quite high and I think it’s because of the crazy high bounce. A G is so easy to launch its stupid. 

Thats the measurement that is listed in the Maltby MPF data, their methodology is outlined in their book on MPF and I believe is done in an industry common way. If nothing else all their measurements are done the same way so it is comparable from company to company.

22 hours ago, lefthack said:

I think you just need less help than you give yourself credit for. I play a club that is a stretch for my current abilities, but it forces me to focus on my mechanics.

There are times I think maybe an SGI set with a few beers would be more relaxing.

Not to be arrogant or anything but i do wonder sometimes if my skill level (being a low index) does impact my ability to judge them fairly. It's a valid comment

I don't hit the center every time, obviously i still mishit balls, but maybe the mishits are not as bad.

That being said, i find the Forged TECs equally forgiving to the G410's on MY mishits, and they look nicer and feel nicer. And as mentioned i find it easier to elevate the 4 and 5 irons which shocked me.

I feel like someone in the 7-10 index range has a perfect club here. No need to worry about a big SGI or a "players club"...these are like a perfect hybrid of the two

• Like 1

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

I'm using a Forged Tec 3i as my driving iron.

I used to have the older Cobra utility but the sole width was too wide for me. The Forged Tec iron has all the same technology but a better sole design for me.

I'm a 5-ish index and generally have no issues getting it in the air. Subject to old-guy 5 index swing constraints of course.

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Ventus Blue HB 8-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54: Nippon 115-S Wedge

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"