Sim2 driver guys - talk about it

getitdaily

I had the regular SIM 10.5* for a while last year, and got it replaced by TM because the speed pocket started to come apart.  I could have still played it if they didn't replace it, but they sent me a SIM2 10.5* as a replacement.  

I've played them both with my 2 go to shafts, which are a Elements Earth 7f4 and a Diamana Whiteboard 70s, and the SIM2 is more consistent for me.  I really haven't noticed much difference in terms of distance overall.  Part of that is I was using the SIM during the summer when it was nice and hot here in Texas, but on warmer days with the SIM2, I'm seeing really good distance out of it.  

The main reason I say the SIM2 is more consistent, is that occasionally, I would make an awful swing with the SIM, and the ball would just nosedive with no spin to the left.  The same type of swing with the SIM2 spins a touch more and has a better chance of staying in play.  

In terms of looks, sound and feel, I also prefer the SIM2, but I still really liked the SIM2 and had no reason to replace it if the Speed Pocket didn't mess up.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

Just put the Sim two 8° In play. 

when I hit it good, it feels great. But my concern is how closed the face looks.

I’m getting major left action. 

does anyone else feel like the sim 2 sits closed for them too??? 

it’s so closed, that I feel like I may have gotten a bad one. 

i’m coming from m5 tour  9°

same shaft, same standad neutral setting

Edited by KyleW

Titelst 913 7.5 D2 R.I.P.
Taylormade R9 TP 15 NV-105
Ping i-20 21 Hybrid NV-105
Ping i20 Irons 4-W KBS Tour
Titelst Vokey Spin Mlled, 50,54,58
Bettinardi BB8

Always wanted to try a TM driver and when a SIM2 came up on the BST forum, bought it having never ever hit one 😅 (10.5 degree head, Ventus Black 6X). Previous gamer was/is Mavrik Sub-Zero 10.5 degree with a Tensei White X.

Didn't have much time to warm-up so hit about 3 drives then took it straight out to the course. 

Enjoyed the sound/feel - it's a much more deeper, more solid and in some ways more muted (but not dull) sound/feeling than my Mavrik. Forgiveness seemed off the charts as I had some heel/toe strikes moved only slightly offline. Still getting used to it but the shaft/head combo gives me confidence to really have a hard swing at it which could be fun.

Distance seemed solid but going to try and get some numbers on it to actually see data and compare to my gamer. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KyleW said:

when I hit it good, it feels great. But my concern is how closed the face looks.

You got a dud then.  Naw, I'm just messing with you.  Mine is 8* as well.  Mine sits very square to the eye and I have it set it on the open/loft down setting to decrease the chances I hook it into somebody's backyard. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Looking to potentially get fit for a Sim2 tomorrow now I'm starting to doubt that?  Or am I over thinking based off the comments and go in with an open mind.  Coming from a Callaway Epic SS, after playing TM drivers for quite some time.  

Driver: PXG Black Ops Tour-1 10.5deg - Tour AD TP 6S

Fairway Wood: PXG Black Ops 0311 15deg - Tour AD VR 7S
Hybrid: PXG Black Ops 0311 19deg - Tour AD DI Hyb 85S
Irons: PXG Gen6 0311P 4-GW - DG Mid 115
Wedges: Mizuno T24 54 & 58 S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Never Compromise Dinero Prototype 

Ball: Srixon ZStar Diamond (Other testing in progress)

I play the Sim2, 9*, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X, one click towards lower. I had the M5 before but the head cracked. love the driver/shaft combo. I naturally play a fade but I can draw it if necessary. I tried the Sim last year but it was a bit too unforgiving for me compared to the M5. Love the new SIM, and gained about 5 yards in carry but 15 yards total.

For me, SIM2 is significantly easier to hit and more stable on a miss than the SIM. Definitely a bit more spin but better feel and directional control vs. the SIM. Both are 10.5 heads. I also had a SIM Max for a while last year, and compared to that I also much prefer the SIM2.

I have not heard this, but it almost seems to me that the twist face has been reduced a little. My good strikes are slightly high toe, and I am not seeing the high right-to-right miss I got consistently with both the SIM and SIM Max (and M5 before that). To date the twist face technology has not fit me well, but for some reason I keep trying. SIM2 might change that.

Having said all that, my gamer is a TSI3 and right now I don't see the SIM2 beating it. It's just not quite as good all around. So far.

• Like 1

Rogue ST LS 10.5 | TSi2 15 | G425 4H 20.5 | ZX4 4 | ZX5 5-P | CBX ZC 48 & 52.5 | Glide 2.0 Stealth 58 | Itsy Bitsy Spider | TP5x

Short story: I have a TSi3 with Ventus black that was the best driver I have owned. I now have Sim2 with Diamana TB in the bag and am thinking of selling the Tsi3 (will probably keep it, though)

Long story: I bought last year's SIM ti 3 wood with some trade-in credit and was really wowed by the performance. Although the stock shaft seems to fit me really well, I can't have a stock shaft in anything so ordered a Diamana TB to pop in the 3 wood. The seller never got my message to build the shaft to 3 wood length so it came at driver length. Before cutting it myself, I decided to give a SIM driver head a try since I liked the 3 wood so much. The performance was excellent, but I can't have last year's driver, so I sold the SIM driver and bought a SIM2 head. It is an improvement, IMO, in sound/feel, and the deeper face is better for me. Both the new one and old one look great and I don't have a strong preference for either in looks. The 2 feels softer and more rich, the old one felt harder off the face but not in a bad way.  Maybe just overall, the shaft is a better fit for me, but the SIM2 is a hammer and I am really enjoying it. At first, I did not like the darker carbon on the newer woods this year, but the more I look at it the more I like it. 

• Like 1

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

6 hours ago, halfsumo said:

Short story: I have a TSi3 with Ventus black that was the best driver I have owned. I now have Sim2 with Diamana TB in the bag and am thinking of selling the Tsi3 (will probably keep it, though)

Long story: I bought last year's SIM ti 3 wood with some trade-in credit and was really wowed by the performance. Although the stock shaft seems to fit me really well, I can't have a stock shaft in anything so ordered a Diamana TB to pop in the 3 wood. The seller never got my message to build the shaft to 3 wood length so it came at driver length. Before cutting it myself, I decided to give a SIM driver head a try since I liked the 3 wood so much. The performance was excellent, but I can't have last year's driver, so I sold the SIM driver and bought a SIM2 head. It is an improvement, IMO, in sound/feel, and the deeper face is better for me. Both the new one and old one look great and I don't have a strong preference for either in looks. The 2 feels softer and more rich, the old one felt harder off the face but not in a bad way.  Maybe just overall, the shaft is a better fit for me, but the SIM2 is a hammer and I am really enjoying it. At first, I did not like the darker carbon on the newer woods this year, but the more I look at it the more I like it. 

I demoed tsi3 and didn't care for it at all. I have very briefly hit sim2 and it was good. Fitting coming tomorrow. 

12 hours ago, iKOH423 said:

Looking to potentially get fit for a Sim2 tomorrow now I'm starting to doubt that?  Or am I over thinking based off the comments and go in with an open mind.  Coming from a Callaway Epic SS, after playing TM drivers for quite some time.  

Go in with an open mind.  You always have to take people's opinions with a grain of salt as not everyone will experience the same thing.  Many of my peers love the OG SIM and have it in their bags.  I like the SIM and have it as my back up, but the SIM 2 ultimately made the cut.  I had my doubts as well but the SIM 2 is a bit more forgiving which is one of the things I look for in driver as my ball striking is the weakest part of my game. 

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

17 hours ago, KyleW said:

It’s funny. There seems to be a variance in these.   I have an 8 degree head that sits open like a lob wedge.  But I have held two that looked shut to my eye.  I am not sure what to make of it. The one I’m currently testing does not seem to have a snap hook in it.  The miss is definitely a high right push.  And I have it in the plus 2 degrees loft setting , which should actually shut  the face.  

I think I’d be very careful ordering one  of these heads sight unseen.  Try to be fit with the actual head you can buy.  Or at least choose one in the store that looks the same at address. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I had the Sim 8*, swapped it out for the Sim2 Max, 12*, with a red Velecore.  existential crisis from chasing launch angle so I said screw it and went with basically a giant 3 wood.   I hit the Max all over the face because I'm still trying to figure out ball position on the tee, but pretty much if you hit at least half the ball, either on the top or bottom of the clubface, you'll get a decent result.  Also my combo doesn't move left or right at all, unless I hit it way on the toe which will produce a snap hook.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I had the original one last year and hit some of the longest drives ever, now my swing speed has slowed down to 94-98 tops so time to change a to a regular flex as I tried the new SIM2 but went with 10.5* Blue Tensei. Nice feeling and looks but very surprised no moveable weights. I felt it was more forgiving then the original but after trying the PING G425 LST I knew I needed more forgiveness with the reduced spin rates and still good not as equal in distance as I was getting before. I left the LST for a Titleist Tsi2 as this is long and VERY FORGIVING. No matter if you strike it on the toe or heal you don't lose ball speed or any forgiveness. Still getting used to the shape as I like a more traditional pear shape head but the way this is performing, I'm getting used to it pretty quick. Seems like more drivers are being made with the back side stretched out. Not a fan of the sound with the G425 Max as the LST is more muted but it's lacking ball speed and feel.  Sim2 is a favorite for many as I'm surprised that many still like their original one better. Different strokes for different folks. Just like many like the previous PING drivers over the new one, Don't know why I never tried the new TSi's before but glad to found it when I did.

Edited by Tiptx1122

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I think they're comparable but I think the OG SIM is better. The SIM 2 is hotter off the face but the 1 is lower spin. As a high spin player, when squared up the 1 went further, had lower launch than the 2.

Obviously shafts and swing weight play a big part. For the majority of the time in the 1 I had the AV Raw White 70tx and got really good results. I did have trouble turning it over though. 

I went to the SIM 2 and as I said earlier the face is hotter but when I miss hit, it balloons up moreso than the 1. I changed shafts to the Diamana D+Plus Limited 70tx and the results were better. But the shaft snapped at the hosel (PGA SS ordered me a new one) so I put my backup shaft in, the Kurokage XD 70tx and the results were similar.

With the two shafts mentioned above the swing weight felt good, the 2 feels lighter and my SS is up but the ball does go higher.

Overall I think the SIM is a better driver and I'm willing to bet that the SIM 3 or whatever it will be called will be better than both.

7 minutes ago, gevans24 said:

I think they're comparable but I think the OG SIM is better. The SIM 2 is hotter off the face but the 1 is lower spin. As a high spin player, when squared up the 1 went further, had lower launch than the 2.

Obviously shafts and swing weight play a big part. For the majority of the time in the 1 I had the AV Raw White 70tx and got really good results. I did have trouble turning it over though. 

I went to the SIM 2 and as I said earlier the face is hotter but when I miss hit, it balloons up moreso than the 1. I changed shafts to the Diamana D+Plus Limited 70tx and the results were better. But the shaft snapped at the hosel (PGA SS ordered me a new one) so I put my backup shaft in, the Kurokage XD 70tx and the results were similar.

With the two shafts mentioned above the swing weight felt good, the 2 feels lighter and my SS is up but the ball does go higher.

Overall I think the SIM is a better driver and I'm willing to bet that the SIM 3 or whatever it will be called will be better than both.

Don't say that.  If true, I might be tempted to go out and buy a SIM 3 next year!  Btw, I will remember your name if I do.  🤪

15 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Don't say that.  If true, I might be tempted to go out and buy a SIM 3 next year!  Btw, I will remember your name if I do.  🤪

If the next iteration of sim has rear movable weight and keeps the CoG low then it'll be a step forward. 

I could see the inertia generator getting wider and a movable weight on it.

Edited by getitdaily

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Go in with an open mind.  You always have to take people's opinions with a grain of salt as not everyone will experience the same thing.  Many of my peers love the OG SIM and have it in their bags.  I like the SIM and have it as my back up, but the SIM 2 ultimately made the cut.  I had my doubts as well but the SIM 2 is a bit more forgiving which is one of the things I look for in driver as my ball striking is the weakest part of my game. 

Having never hit the OG Sim I have nothing to compare it to, except for what i've been reading on here.  Will definitely go in with an open mind today and see what the verdict will be.  I was able to swing the club over the weekend with the Ventus Blue 5 and was getting some high spin numbers with the club.  Guy didn't seem too concerned which concerned me... working with someone more reputable that I trust today so we will see what happens.  

I enjoy the way the TM sits at address but I am trying to keep that little bias out of it and will go with whichever big dog offers the biggest bite.  Will report back.

Edited by iKOH423
Grammar
  • Like 1

Driver: PXG Black Ops Tour-1 10.5deg - Tour AD TP 6S

Fairway Wood: PXG Black Ops 0311 15deg - Tour AD VR 7S
Hybrid: PXG Black Ops 0311 19deg - Tour AD DI Hyb 85S
Irons: PXG Gen6 0311P 4-GW - DG Mid 115
Wedges: Mizuno T24 54 & 58 S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Never Compromise Dinero Prototype 

Ball: Srixon ZStar Diamond (Other testing in progress)

I don't get along with either iteration of the SIM Drivers, OG or SIM2 in either head. G425 LST beat them out by quite a bit for me. Pity, because the sound and feel were what I like.

The SIM FW's are great, though. Wish they made a true wood @ 17*

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

13 hours ago, Flip4000 said:

This does not make me feel good about my warranty repair. I am going on about 2 months 

This isn't just a TM issue....I have a buddy who ordered a Callaway Epic Max LS March 24th, and Callaway is saying online that his order isn't expected to be done until the end of June.

• Like 1

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

Are you guys playing these at stock length? 45.75 seems long.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

6 minutes ago, Bye said:

I'm playing mine at 45" and have the head hot melted in a pretty neutral position in the head.  I didn't want to wait around for aftermarket weights because they weren't available when I got my SIM2.  

WITB

Sim2 9* Ventus velocore 6x. I naturally hit a fade but play a draw a lot due to course conditions. I judge a driver based on my ability to hit the draw accurately since it's not natural to me. I struggled to hit the sim and never gamed it. I love the sim2 look at address. I like that the face appears deeper. It gives me confidence to hit the shot needed. My biggest factor when choosing to buy a new drive

48 minutes ago, Bye said:

45 inches.  At my ss I don't need anymore shaft length.  All it does is make dispersion really bad.  Like Jah7838 I have 4 grams of hotmelt added, neutral bias to bring the head up to 200 grams. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jah7838 said:

This isn't just a TM issue....I have a buddy who ordered a Callaway Epic Max LS March 24th, and Callaway is saying online that his order isn't expected to be done until the end of June.

Yeah I know it's an industry issue/ covid demand. I dont blame Taylormade