2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

To Lengthen Wedges...or Not?

I play my irons +1 over and 2 degree's up (I'm 6'4) with AeroTech Steelfiber 70 shafts. I currently play 3 Vokey wedges (48, 55, 60) and have them lengthened +1 as well with stock S300 shafts in them.  I've noticed my feel for the wedges is less than optimal (they feel much heavier) which impacts my touch somewhat. I'm preparing to reshaft the Vokey's to the same Aerotech shafts. I was wondering by going with the lighter weight AeroTech's will help this (assuming I keep them +1) relative to the current S300's in them. Or, for ultimate feel around the greens should I only go say +1/2 over on their length. Planning on getting the reshafts done this week so appreciate any thoughts on this decision.  

Edited by golfizfunright
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, golfizfunright said:

I play my irons +1 over and 2 degree's up (I'm 6'4) with AeroTech Steelfiber 70 shafts. I currently play 3 Vokey wedges (48, 55, 60) and have them lengthened +1 as well with stock S300 shafts in them.  I've noticed my feel for the wedges is less than optimal (they feel much heavier) which impacts my touch somewhat. I'm preparing to reshaft the Vokey's to the same Aerotech shafts. I was wondering by going with the lighter weight AeroTech's will help this (assuming I keep them +1) relative to the current S300's in them. Or, for ultimate feel around the greens should I only go say +1/2 over on their length. Planning on getting the reshafts done this week so appreciate any thoughts on this decision.  

Wedges should be the same over as your irons if not longer depending on your body type. As for weight you won't really know until you have them at the correct length. I play +1 the whole way through and have heavier (S400) in my wedges with no issues.

Side note: You don't want wedges to short because it kills all control and feel. In order to compensate you end up reaching or doing other things to get to the ground rather than using a normal swing. This is why clubs that are to short feel out of control. 

I am in a similar spot.  My irons are Single Length with Paterson 95 gram graphite shafts but my SW and LW are +1" with DG TOUR ISSUE S400...they feel like sledge hammers compared to my irons.

That being said..I am very accurate with my wedges so I just deal with the weight.

My irons are +1/2 inch.  I have my 52 and 56 the same length as my PW.  The 60 degree is standard length which works well for me as I rarely take a full swing with it, and use as my primary bunker club, and around the greens.

• Like 1

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

6 hours ago, golfizfunright said:

Keep the wedges shafted with DG S300 but eliminate f the +1" over length. Play the wedges at standard length with DG S300.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

16 hours ago, golfizfunright said:

I have always played my PW down at the same length, and they are longer considering my 7 iron is standard and I only go down 1/4 lengths to the PW.

I will say I port my wedges though.  I strap them in a drill press and pull some out of the hosel and then again on the back of the wedge heel side to get the weight where I want.  I tried using different shafts because the wedges felt too heavy earlier in my career, but realized that never helped the way I wanted.  Anyone can pull some weight out of the back of their wedges with a drill and a metal bit without too much issue.

Grab an old wedge and a few metal bits and try it for your self before doing it with your gamers.

In the long run you will be better off with your wedges this way than some crazy shaft switch will.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Changing  the shafts will help the swingweight.  Make sure they don’t add tip weights to them whne they change them.  You could remove the vokey tip  weights now from the s300 and help it somewhat.  100 % they have tip weights now.  Every vokey I’ve pulled apart does.  I play +3/4 myself. My wedges are same length as my pw and all weight same with no tip weights and midsize grips.  I’d suggest doing that as well.  You can always choke down a hair say on feel shots for lob wedge etc. 

as a last resort. You can also port the wedges ( drill weight out on the back side ).   I’ve done it t a few heavy ones.  But my current vokeys didn’t need it.   

anybody telling you to go back to standard length , doesn’t understand being tall.  If you can’t reach the ball without dipping down at it , you may as well just kick it or putt it.  Lol.   You need longer clubs than a 5ft 6 guy.  It’s just math.  An inch over isnt a ton.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

59 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

anybody telling you to go back to standard length , doesn’t understand being tall.  If you can’t reach the ball without dipping down at it , you may as well just kick it or putt it.  Lol.   You need longer clubs than a 5ft 6 guy.  It’s just math.  An inch over isnt a ton.  

Post of the year right there.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, toddmanley said:

I play +1.5” in my irons and have done the same with my wedges. I’m moving from DG X100’s (S400’s in the wedges) to a set of Mitsubishi MMT 105tx 4-GW and 95s in my SW and LW. If my match is close I should be dropping about 3-4 swingweights across the entire iron and wedge set up. 

You'll enjoy those MMT.  Best composite shafts on the market IMO.  As for dropping dropping all the sw, I'm curious as to know your reason for doing so?

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

Changing  the shafts will help the swingweight.  Make sure they don’t add tip weights to them whne they change them.  You could remove the vokey tip  weights now from the s300 and help it somewhat.  100 % they have tip weights now.  Every vokey I’ve pulled apart does.  I play +3/4 myself. My wedges are same length as my pw and all weight same with no tip weights and midsize grips.  I’d suggest doing that as well.  You can always choke down a hair say on feel shots for lob wedge etc. 

as a last resort. You can also port the wedges ( drill weight out on the back side ).   I’ve done it t a few heavy ones.  But my current vokeys didn’t need it.   

I'm 5'7 and I play all my clubs 1/4 inch short with the exception of driver which is 45 inches.  This also gets my swing weight for irons right at D3 which I prefer.  My other clubs swing weight out to D4-D5.  My cousin is 5'3 and he plays his 1/2 inch short.  I get what you're saying.  It's better most of the time to have your club set up to match your height and how you set up to the ball.  I remember you saying that you're 6'4 which is really tall so I can see why you play your irons an inch longer.  You have the outliers like Keegan Bradley who's well over 6 feet tall yet plays standard length for irons if I remember correctly. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

3 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

You'll enjoy those MMT.  Best composite shafts on the market IMO.  As for dropping dropping all the sw, I'm curious as to know your reason for doing so?

Playing over length x100 vs MMT weight differences....

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

My wedges are all the same lie 64* but my PW and GW are the same length, and then my SW and LW are also the same length. Next time around I plan to make make PW-LW one length ( so +1/2 on SW and +3/4 on LW ). 

Edited by sshadow2

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

6'5" golfer checking in here. To be honest I'm a bit of an outlier here with the taller golfers. I prefer to only add the minimal length required to still maintain a decent posture.

I used to make my wedges 1+" over depending on the wedge. Basically +1" PW, with all my wedges the same length as the PW. My approach wedge game was fantastic, but around the greens I absolutely stunk.

I'm now playing +1/2" in the irons, and then I do 1/4" increments from the PW on down to the LW. It's a good middle ground between having enough length to hit accurate approaches, without losing feel around the greens. With the wedges shorter I do have to focus on hitting mostly 3/4 shots, but I feel that this makes my approach wedge game actually better in the long run. Too many people muscle up their wedges into the green instead of flighting them in a repeatable manner. 

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

15 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I'm 5'7 and I play all my clubs 1/4 inch short with the exception of driver which is 45 inches.  This also gets my swing weight for irons right at D3 which I prefer.  My other clubs swing weight out to D4-D5.  My cousin is 5'3 and he plays his 1/2 inch short.  I get what you're saying.  It's better most of the time to have your club set up to match your height and how you set up to the ball.  I remember you saying that you're 6'4 which is really tall so I can see why you play your irons an inch longer.  You have the outliers like Keegan Bradley who's well over 6 feet tall yet plays standard length for irons if I remember correctly. 

Right. It’s not a slight on anyone , to me it’s just math. I have a brother in law who plays -1/2 inch.  He cannot fathom swinging my irons. But I also cannot swing his.  At least not down past the 7 iron.  

I actually cheat a little.  My 7 iron is 3/4 over titleist standard.  But. I only step 1/4 inch between irons.  So my 8-pw is a touch longer than plus 3/4.  I then play the gap-lob same as my pw.   The. On the top my 6-4 irons only step up 1/4 inch. So they end up being less than 3/4 over length.  Took a long time to figure this out.   

I use no tip weights , and I adjust distance gaps with loft.  Usually a degree one way or another does it.  

keegan is an oddity since he bends soo much with the hips AND the knees.  No doubt from being a kid who needed longer clubs.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

24 minutes ago, animalgolfs said:

Playing over length x100 vs MMT weight differences....

It’s not much.   Mine weighed same exactly as modus 130x.  ( mmt 125tx). Was a seamless swap.  X100 will weight a point heavier because of it being tip heavy vs handle heavy like the modus. Main reason I never get along with DG for long.  I don’t like the tip heavy weight in the long irons.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

11 hours ago, toddmanley said:

I play +1.5” in my irons and have done the same with my wedges. I’m moving from DG X100’s (S400’s in the wedges) to a set of Mitsubishi MMT 105tx 4-GW and 95s in my SW and LW. If my match is close I should be dropping about 3-4 swingweights across the entire iron and wedge set up. 

Do you have SW issues? Either in the irons or wedges? I’ve burned through a lot of money trying to get my lengths dialed in. Part of that is my fault, but I just feel like my clubs get so heavy. For example, Ping, renowned for their ability to swingweight clubs of all length, built a set of i210’s at +1”. They had to be D6. 

18 hours ago, golfizfunright said:

I would recommend not going shorter, but would reshaft with something about 10 or 15 grams heavier than your iron shafts. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

8 minutes ago, Mookieb10 said:

Do you have SW issues? Either in the irons or wedges? I’ve burned through a lot of money trying to get my lengths dialed in. Part of that is my fault, but I just feel like my clubs get so heavy. For example, Ping, renowned for their ability to swingweight clubs of all length, built a set of i210’s at +1”. They had to be D6. 

My current 7iron Apex Pro '21 with X100 comes in at E3 and that's with a 66g MCC+4 midsize grip.  On a whim a few weeks ago after doing a lot of research on the MMT shaft I decided to purchase another AP21 7iron directly from Callaway (same head and club specs) with the 105tx shaft.  Now I didn't pull apart the components to get specifics weights but based on spec sheets the 105tx should be around 113-4g while the X100 is 130g saving me 17g (close to 2 SW using rough math).  

The 105tx 7iron came in at E0 and now I'm on a journey to see if Callaway can do even better with building a set of TCB's using the lighter weight head option which could drop another 3-4 SW.

I'm 6'5" with a 39.5-40" WTF, and play +1.5" in my irons. 

That leaves me with a 37" PW, a 36.5" SW, and when I had my LW built the fitter built it in between, so 36.75". 

I recently tested some demo Sub70 clubs at standard length, with the 9i at 36", and it felt like a child's toy. I felt like I was hunched over and HATED taking a full swing with it. 

I'd recommend for a tall golfer that--especially if you ever use them for full swings--you don't go too short even on your wedges. If you're playing +1", I'd consider playing +1 across, or even playing all of them the same length as your PW or GW. You can always choke down [and I sometimes do] for certain shots, but general pitches where you're taking a shorter swing with the same posture, too short will be harder to adjust to. 

I'm considering going single-length with my next set at 8i length (either be 38"/+1.5" like my current 8i or drop down 37.5"/+1" if I like that better), and keeping that length from my "longest" iron down to the 50* GW, because I expect I'll be taking full swings with my 50*. Because my SW and LW would then be specialty clubs, I'd go shorter than the SL irons, but still well above standard probably in the 36.5-37" range because anything shorter than that is uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip