I can’t seem to find irons that I like at the moment and I am looking for some recommendations. 

Last year I played Jpx919 forged with s300 and hit the ball well but I really didn’t like the look of the irons. With the long blade length. When Mizuno released the 921 line the new forged seemed perfect, more traditional iron length, full forged, so I pulled the trigger. I really am not getting along with the new chromoly steel. It’s too hot, and spins too little. Below are a couple of 8 irons. Basically my 8 is going as far as my 7 used to go with the 919. I’ve already added loft to try to increase spin and drop ball speed. 

I’ve tried ping i210 and couldn’t get used to the feel. I generally don’t get a long with hollow bodies. I wish I struck the ball consistently enough for muscle back but I have tendency to strike toward the toe and I need a little bit of forgiveness. 

So fully forged, not low spinning, some forgiveness, but I don’t really need help with ball speed. What’s out there that I should be looking at? 

25D03B80-572A-46FF-AA53-85F242C07832.jpeg

CF88A7D1-7E18-4333-BF43-B0601201FFBB.jpeg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

T100 might be what you're looking for.  

I will never understand people who say things like, "I hit them well but didn't like the look." There are no pictures on the scorecard and golf doesn't award style points. I don't say "wow" when I see

While true, I play golf for enjoyment. Sure, part of the enjoyment is scoring well, but part of it is also enjoying the process of playing and making shots. If you aren’t having fun or don’t enjoy hit

Posted Images

I had lz 6.0 in the i210. I really wanted to like them. First time with that shaft tho. Right now I have modus 120x in the 921 and really do like that shaft. Not sure what it was with the i210 maybe the high bounce I just never felt like I was hitting them well (they all seemed thin). 

Been considering zx7. Maybe those are the ticket. The 919 felt so much better than the 921 in my opinion. The 921 feel fast (and they are) but you don’t get the feedback. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, vdeloren said:

I had lz 6.0 in the i210. I really wanted to like them. First time with that shaft tho. Right now I have modus 120x in the 921 and really do like that shaft. Not sure what it was with the i210 maybe the high bounce I just never felt like I was hitting them well (they all seemed thin). 

Been considering zx7. Maybe those are the ticket. The 919 felt so much better than the 921 in my opinion. The 921 feel fast (and they are) but you don’t get the feedback. 

LZ 6.0 much softer in performance than dgs300 or modus 120x......I thought the same initially about too much bounce but have really started driving down with short irons......came T200s and Z785/ Z585  combo.....both nicely through turf but the feel of long irons was off putting......

I'm nowhere near your speed btw but I understand gear.....LZ 6.5 was like standard px 5.5 ....also totally different profile 

SHAFT matters ! Lol 

Good luck with the process

3 hours ago, vdeloren said:

I can’t seem to find irons that I like at the moment and I am looking for some recommendations. 

Last year I played Jpx919 forged with s300 and hit the ball well but I really didn’t like the look of the irons. With the long blade length. When Mizuno released the 921 line the new forged seemed perfect, more traditional iron length, full forged, so I pulled the trigger. I really am not getting along with the new chromoly steel. It’s too hot, and spins too little. Below are a couple of 8 irons. Basically my 8 is going as far as my 7 used to go with the 919. I’ve already added loft to try to increase spin and drop ball speed. 

I’ve tried ping i210 and couldn’t get used to the feel. I generally don’t get a long with hollow bodies. I wish I struck the ball consistently enough for muscle back but I have tendency to strike toward the toe and I need a little bit of forgiveness. 

So fully forged, not low spinning, some forgiveness, but I don’t really need help with ball speed. What’s out there that I should be looking at? 

25D03B80-572A-46FF-AA53-85F242C07832.jpeg

CF88A7D1-7E18-4333-BF43-B0601201FFBB.jpeg

Honma TR20P or TR20 V, B Mixed set.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps

Primary Bag:

Callaway Epic Speed 9; Epic Max 9 ● Mizuno STZ 5 wd/Motore F3 6 ● SIM Max 4H/Accra FX 2.0 200 ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Mizuno MP T20 50, 55, 59/Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 125 ● Swag Savage Too ● Options: Epic Speed 7 wd/Riptide 70, Mizuno STZ 3 wd/Motore F3 6, TEE EXS 3, 4 Hy/GD AD Hy 65

Another vote for the T100’s.

WITB

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5 degree Kuro Kage 60g Stiff 
TaylorMade SIM2 16.5 degree Ventus Blue 65g Stiff
Taylor Made SIM Max 19 degree Hybrid Ventus Stiff
Mizuno MP20-MMC 4 - 9 iron KBS $-Taper Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM8 46-10F
Titleist Vokey SM8 52-12F
Titleist Vokey SM8 56-10S
Titleist Vokey SM8 60-10S
SeeMore FGP20
Titleist ProV1X

GO VOLS!
3 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

I will never understand people who say things like, "I hit them well but didn't like the look." There are no pictures on the scorecard and golf doesn't award style points. I don't say "wow" when I see someone's club, but when I see their shot.

While true, I play golf for enjoyment. Sure, part of the enjoyment is scoring well, but part of it is also enjoying the process of playing and making shots. If you aren’t having fun or don’t enjoy hitting a club, move on. As much as anyone here likes to tinker and try new things, the last thing that should be on your mind during an actual round of golf is anything equipment related. At that point, you shouldn’t be questioning the feel of an iron or the flight of a shot. You should already have that dialed in and be thinking about your approach. 

• Like 2

Another vote for T100

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSi3 14.25 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX

Titleist 816 H2 19 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 90X

Titleist T200 4 - Project X 6.5

Titleist T100 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Vokey SM8 Jet Black 50.12 F, 54.10 S, 58.08 M - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1x

9 hours ago, chippa13 said:

I will never understand people who say things like, "I hit them well but didn't like the look." There are no pictures on the scorecard and golf doesn't award style points. I don't say "wow" when I see someone's club, but when I see their shot.

It had nothing to do with style points just more how they looked to me at address versus what I was used to playing. I also had trouble hitting a draw, which I think was in part due to the larger head. So I figured the 921 forged would be a good fit. They would be if it wasn’t for the super hard chromoly they used.  

• Like 1

I hate sounding like a broken record but OP, you might want to look into the New Level 623-M.  They are technically blades but longer heel to toe, larger than dime sweet spot, thicker sole with minimal offset.  Oh did I mention, they are fully forged?  They were also awarded as one of the most forgiving player's irons as well.  They have traditional lofts which would be up your alley.  If you're not adverse to a lower COG mb, I would def recommend these.  New Level has a demo program where you can order an iron for a fee to try them out. 

• Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

3 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I hate sounding like a broken record but OP, you might want to look into the New Level 623-M.  They are technically blades but longer heel to toe, larger than dime sweet spot, thicker sole with minimal offset.  Oh did I mention, they are fully forged?  They were also awarded as one of the most forgiving player's irons as well.  They have traditional lofts which would be up your alley.  If you're not adverse to a lower COG mb, I would def recommend these.  New Level has a demo program where you can order an iron for a fee to try them out. 

I looked them up. They don’t look bad and price seems fair. Looks backordered at the moment tho. 

4 hours ago, vdeloren said:

It had nothing to do with style points just more how they looked to me at address versus what I was used to playing. I also had trouble hitting a draw, which I think was in part due to the larger head. So I figured the 921 forged would be a good fit. They would be if it wasn’t for the super hard chromoly they used.  

Worth noting that it's only chromoly in the 4-7 irons.

2008  Burner: Soon to be G425 LST 10.5 w/ Ping Tour 65 X-stiff

G425 2 hybrid - Ping tour 85x

Mizuno 921 forged w/kbs c taper lite x-stiff (4-GW)

random wedges

TM Spyder

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, vdeloren said:

I looked them up. They don’t look bad and price seems fair. Looks backordered at the moment tho. 

Talked to Eric over at New Level who's the owner last week.  My cousin pre ordered a set of the 623-M after he hit mine.  Eric quoted ETA for those irons into his hands is May 10th which is today.  If you're still interested, I would email him or call him direct at his phone number listed on the website.  Don't forget to ask him for a promo code as well.  He always has 10% off.  

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

To all who commented, I went and hit some irons, I ended up settling on the new Wilson Staff CB, they are fairly small, comparable to T100 size wise, felt great, and were surprisingly forgiving at least with my limited test. I was going to go with T100 but the Wilson’s were significantly cheaper and I didn’t notice much if any performance difference. If anything the Wilson’s were the softer feeling. 

I would change the shaft on the 921F to something with more spin and/or the golf ball - ChromeSoft or Prov1x

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps

Primary Bag:

Callaway Epic Speed 9; Epic Max 9 ● Mizuno STZ 5 wd/Motore F3 6 ● SIM Max 4H/Accra FX 2.0 200 ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Mizuno MP T20 50, 55, 59/Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 125 ● Swag Savage Too ● Options: Epic Speed 7 wd/Riptide 70, Mizuno STZ 3 wd/Motore F3 6, TEE EXS 3, 4 Hy/GD AD Hy 65

8 hours ago, vdeloren said:

To all who commented, I went and hit some irons, I ended up settling on the new Wilson Staff CB, they are fairly small, comparable to T100 size wise, felt great, and were surprisingly forgiving at least with my limited test. I was going to go with T100 but the Wilson’s were significantly cheaper and I didn’t notice much if any performance difference. If anything the Wilson’s were the softer feeling. 

Wilson Staff makes exceptional, but highly underrated, irons. Hope you enjoy them...hit’em well. 

I love golf
2 hours ago, mikec3672 said:

i210's are NOT hollow bodied, love mine, maybe it's because I like the bounce (fairly steep).

FWIW, the whole of the PING LPGA Staff and Westwood, Hatton, Cink, Hovland, on the PING PGA staff, like them too 😉

I wanted to like them, I think I just didnt have the right shafts in them.  It seemed like the project x lz would be a good fit for me based on what I read but it really was not.  

• Like 1