AT&T Byron Nelson

MattyO1984

Granted I always played it at the height of n greens were kept a big long or during winter dormancy…

they don’t keep the greens, at least in my times playing it(not a member but regular enough visitor), at pga tour “gym floor” speed 

to me they’ve always been a bit grainy and not whacky shorn as one tends to think about bent

prior to the last 2 years of torrential rains, we were in a bit of a hot clip for about 6, maybe 8 years…

The Tribute barely kept 8 green alive for those years…

anyhow, it’s a Really fun course and beautiful, especially in the winter when it’s brown which is my preference for all golf

-chris

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

48 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Those fairways seem like Velcro.. No roll at all. Makes the course play super simple. They will shred this course. 

They are always like that -- it also tees up the ball making it easier to spin. Great for members, too easy for Tour Pros haha.

Whats really interesting is the grain on the zoysia fairways when you drive a cart on them. It literally pulls the wheel left/right depending on the grain. Ive watched my dad almost crash before because it pulled him before a sand trap on 13 🤣

48 minutes ago, DavidCrockett said:

That's a pretty good update.  Thank you for that.  7400yd, par 72, and cut down rough?  With the rain over the weekend, it'll just be that much more soft and receptive, and they weren't going to get rollout in the fairways anyway.  They are going to demolish that course.  

I don't like it when they do that as it diminishes the stature of the course, and this is the first look at Craig Ranch for a lot of people.  There's nothing easy about that course (as you mentioned, the yardage + the wind can make it brutal), but it'll look like a joke if everybody's -20.

Its really disappointing thats for sure -- they could've easily made this a difficult course like we've seen it. Definitely will be -20+, no chance that it isnt.

Edited by ryan.pager

Callaway Paradym Triple🔹 8* - Ventus Blue TR 6X
Callaway Paradym Triple🔹 13.5* - Ventus Blue TR 7X
Callaway Paradym Triple🔹 18* - Ventus Blue TR 7X
Titleist T150 4-G - Axiom 105X
Vokey SM9 55*-60* - BGT ZNE 130
Scotty Cameron H21 Proto
Titleist ProV1

2 hours ago, ryan.pager said:

@ebrasmus21 For the Korn Ferry Tour players / general tournaments yes. The member tees are pretty long (7000ish yds), and is a par 72. You can of course move up, but most of the people Saturday & Sunday mornings play back. Combine that with 15mph winds in your face, and zoysia fairways (no roll), its nutso long.

For reference, I carry my driver 265, and I struggle on some of the par 4's (8, 13, 16, etc). For members they all play over 440yds. I hit more 4-5-6 irons than I would like to admit. Frankly on 13 and 16, I usually go driver -> 7 wood.

Wife and I actually volunteered during those Korn Ferry events and I attended the tour qualifying when it was held there. But I sure don't remember them playing it as a par 70. Maybe a par 71 with 12 playing as par 4. But I don't remember either 5 or 9 ever playing as a par 4. 

2 hours ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

I can't imagine a better grass to play from. 

I have heard some people complain that it will sit the ball up a little too much and cause fliers.  I don't buy that.  We have both zoysia and bermuda courses around here.  Zoysia greens up sooner, is less weedy, stays green longer and plays better dormant.

I will say that a well done bentgrass fairway is a treat to play on when it is dry and running.  Plus, if you are in a climate that can handle it, your fairways and greens are good at the same times.  In my area we still have mostly bent greens and warm-season fairways.  When the fairways are the best, the greens are their worst.  

Some bermuda greens are starting to show up.  I don't mind them when done well and kept short.  If allowed to get too long they will get grainy and slow.  I also really like how firm a bermuda green is.  The ball doesn't tend to hit and stick so you need to control spin and roll out.

1 hour ago, smashdn said:

I have heard some people complain that it will sit the ball up a little too much and cause fliers.  I don't buy that.  We have both zoysia and bermuda courses around here.  Zoysia greens up sooner, is less weedy, stays green longer and plays better dormant.

I will say that a well done bentgrass fairway is a treat to play on when it is dry and running.  Plus, if you are in a climate that can handle it, your fairways and greens are good at the same times.  In my area we still have mostly bent greens and warm-season fairways.  When the fairways are the best, the greens are their worst.  

Some bermuda greens are starting to show up.  I don't mind them when done well and kept short.  If allowed to get too long they will get grainy and slow.  I also really like how firm a bermuda green is.  The ball doesn't tend to hit and stick so you need to control spin and roll out.

Doesn't even make sense that you would get a flyer. Flyers are caused when grass gets between the face and ball. If anything the ball sits up so much it can be easier to hit it high on the face. 

My preference would be zoysia + bermuda greens. The newer bermuda strains are great and I don't know why you would attempt to grow bentgrass in Dallas for example. I can recall giant fans next to greens when I played bent up that way. 

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

7 minutes ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

Doesn't even make sense that you would get a flyer. Flyers are caused when grass gets between the face and ball. If anything the ball sits up so much it can be easier to hit it high on the face. 

My preference would be zoysia + bermuda greens. The newer bermuda strains are great and I don't know why you would attempt to grow bentgrass in Dallas for example. I can recall giant fans next to greens when I played bent up that way. 

High on the face = Lower spin due to gear effect = flyer as well. Same result as grass between the ball on the face, with a different root cause. 

1 minute ago, DFS PFD said:

High on the face = Lower spin due to gear effect = flyer as well. Same result as grass between the ball on the face, with a different root cause. 

In my experience it will just come out high and soft or sort of dead. The spin probably is in fact lower but I've never hit an iron 20 yards farther than normal from high on the face. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

1 minute ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

In my experience it will just come out high and soft or sort of dead. The spin probably is in fact lower but I've never hit an iron 20 yards farther than normal from high on the face. 

It's exacerbated by distance irons because of ball speed retention, so your MP-20's won't display that as much. Just explaining the other type of flyer, if you're not interested that's fine. But that's what smashdn was referring to, so I tried to fill you in. 

• Like 1

That's the voice I didn't recognize, Scott Verplank. 

I played in the 1983 Texas State Amateur that he won as a 19 year old. Went back out and watched him play after I got through with my first round. Found out real quick that I wasn't near as good as I thought I was. Night and day difference between how he hit it and how I hit.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Holy!

Now this is JS! He curvin draws, he peelin fades, 

He recovering from no-mans land at 8:25

And he dropping bombs at the end!

Badaboom!!

B02148A8-C8DB-4319-88FE-E50A536D7336.jpeg

I LOVE his in swing commentary;  we all think it yet he says it at the highest level......blades 5i from 214 for a par .....hehe......scheffler bladed a chip on 11 I believe.......there is no perfection , just managing your misses......

Doesn't look as pretty as some but certainly is repeating and definitely gets the job done!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stingerfade said:

High on the face flies shorter every time not further. 

Thanks. Talking a couple grooves high, not 5. If you retain most of your ball speed and lose a significant amount of spin I think that’s a formula for a longer shot. But I guess not. 

Edited by DFS PFD

Tomorrow is probably the most important round of the year for Mr. Fowler given where he is in the FedEx and OWGR and what tournament is next week...

Rickie hasn't opened a tournament with a round in the 60s since last October.  And the last time he opened with 67 he had a second round 74. 

And I have no idea what to expect.  He could go out and shoot 66 or 76 and I'd sort of not be surprised either way.  

2 hours ago, iutodd said:

Tomorrow is probably the most important round of the year for Mr. Fowler given where he is in the FedEx and OWGR and what tournament is next week...

Since Fowler was given an underserved gift of a special exemption into the PGA Championship next week I'd argue that his performance in the PGA is more important since it offers the maximum OWGR and Fed Ex Cup points compared to The Byron Nelson. 

Edited by grm24

8 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Holy!

Now this is JS! He curvin draws, he peelin fades, 

And he dropping bombs at the end!

Hey! I posted a video but they took it off YouTube 😤

Anyway, he had that JS thing going big time. 

Badaboom!!

B02148A8-C8DB-4319-88FE-E50A536D7336.jpeg

Pretty respectable driving avg on those velcro fairways.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX