back pain- inversion table results?

Rory4Pres

i don't own one, but i use a friend's from time/time ... it seems to help my lower back, at least temporarily ... i go full tilt and hang for a few minutes after a round, or when i'm in the mood for stretching ... probably isn't the most efficient way, but it does help my back feel better ... and i sleep with a thin pillow under my back/hip side, at night ... 

Last time I used an inversion table, I went from being very uncomfortable from the low back pain to not being able to stand up straight because of it. Used it one time, for a few minutes, and that was all it took. 

I'm not saying they do not work, but I will say make sure you know and understand the cause of your back pain before you use one. 

• Like 1

Haven't tried the inversion table (yet), but outside of my normal stretching routing, gym workouts and ice packs...I've added 2 things this year that has helped with my lower back pain (not gone 100%, but much better):

1.  A percussive massager (I use original VYBE sold on Amazon for a good price...I was specific on getting one that had the same "throw" distance as the Theragun)

2. New mattress with adjustable base (bought a Purple mattress and adjustable base from Mattress Factory)

The percussive massager has really helped to address acute pain or flare ups in the glutes (especially gluteus max and medius).  The new mattress and adjustable base has really helped to reduce stiffness in the morning that carried into the day.  I sleep with the legs raised which I believe takes some of the pressure off the lower back.

Edited by Skaffa77

1 hour ago, Skaffa77 said:

Haven't tried the inversion table (yet), but outside of my normal stretching routing, gym workouts and ice packs...I've added 2 things this year that has helped with my lower back pain (not gone 100%, but much better):

1.  A percussive massager (I use original VYBE sold on Amazon for a good price...I was specific on getting one that had the same "throw" distance as the Theragun)

2. New mattress with adjustable base (bought a Purple mattress and adjustable base from Mattress Factory)

The percussive massager has really helped to address acute pain or flare ups in the glutes (especially gluteus max and medius).  The new mattress and adjustable base has really helped to reduce stiffness in the morning that carried into the day.  I sleep with the legs raised which I believe takes some of the pressure off the lower back.

How do you like the purple mattress? My wife amd I have and love purple pillows, but the cost of the mattress is a tough pill to swallow. 

On 5/11/2021 at 4:13 PM, bigred90gt said:

How do you like the purple mattress? My wife amd I have and love purple pillows, but the cost of the mattress is a tough pill to swallow. 

Honestly...the feeling was "different" at first especially when coming from a traditional mattress or memory foam.  The only way I can describe it is it felt almost like a waterbed without water because the gel grid moves and conforms to your back very well.  After the first night, we were sold on it and haven't regretted it at all!!

I had a memory foam mattress for about 7-8 years and it had gone past it's time.  My lower back was stiff and sore most mornings and since it was late fall and winter, there wasn't much significant physical activity (golf, softball, yard work) to attribute the pain.  We went mattress shopping and went thru all the options from a tradition mattress, pillow top mattress, various foam mattress, Purple, etc.  It came down to TemperPedic which is expensive, but is awesome quality and lasts forever or Purple.  Purple was 1/2 the cost of the TemperPedic, felt different and yet still very comfortable and supportive so we decided to try that route.  

We did the Purple Hybrid King which I think is about $2200 for the mattress itself which honestly isn't crazy out of line for mattresses these days.  I will say that you can probably buy some mattresses out of the box (Casper, etc) or through Costco/Sam's Club for a bit cheaper.  Ultimately, you have to go with what you feel is best for you.  If you have to get a base or new boxsprings, that will obviously add to the cost a bit.  I also bought the Purple Pillow...wife couldn't believe I bought a pillow for $100.

I would highly recommend trying one at a Mattress Firm or another mattress store to experience the feel. It's different so it'll just help you understand if it's something you would like or not. I will say that Mattress Firm's pricing is on par with the online prices.  Personally, I definitely recommend an adjustable base...the combo of a new mattress and adjustable base has done wonders for me...better support on the back and lifting my legs to remove some of the pressure on my back at night.   Now that golf and softball have started back up, my sore for other reasons.   😄  Getting old hurts.

Edited by Skaffa77

I have an inversion table

I am finding better results using a foam roller religiously and also something that you lie on that is an arch extender for the back .. healthbridge

I’ve had multiple back surgeries FWIW

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Had one for a couple of years.  Felt it was helping initially, but then started to think it was actually making my back feel worse, so I sold it.  Have been doing 'yoga' stretches every other day for a couple of years now, and have only very infrequent pain, but have had no  problem golfing two to three times per week regularly (and often hitting in my basement on other days).  Like others have said, a good mattress also does wonders.  I also ice my back for 20 minutes after my workouts nearly every day.  No idea if that is necessary, but I figure it can't hurt (and it hasn't).

I was just thinking about one last night. I have a curve and lower lumbar issues. I use a foam roller and hang from my chin up bar to lax my lower back.

I got a messager from Costco that seems to help, but I am going to check Facebook Marketplace and CL to see if I can get a Teeter.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

On 5/13/2021 at 12:56 PM, Shushwap said:

I took up a stretching routine at the start of the year and it has changed my life.. my back pain  is a zero most days.. before I would spend weeks in bed when I did my back in.. no one could ever get fix it 

Was gonna say, this approach. Strengthen core and legs and back muscles . I think just doing like 3 or 4 sets of “air squats” at least a few times a week would hit the leg core and back/erector muscles pretty well. 

I

Edited by bscinstnct

I've used a Teeter daily for the past decade and YES, it works for me. I invert for 5 minutes in the morning and sometimes 5 minutes before bed. I had a couple of significant lower back injuries when I was younger (25 years ago) and was on a constant search for relief until I had an ortho surgeon tell me to try inversion. After I tried it in his office, I immediately drove 120 miles and purchased one. After a half day or more on a plane or a 6-hour drive, I can hang for 5 minutes and the discomfort goes away.

I'm also the pround owner of a percussion tool as well and it also works wonders for your body. I'd definitely recommend one for you as well.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

If you problem is in the lumbar vertebrae then an inversion table can be useful  but you have to stick with it so that the disc can get back into position over time. I find that the best time to stretch and roll out is first thing in the morning because it shouldn't take as long for the muscles supporting the back to relax because you have been laying down all night. I don't use a foam roller as I prefer the more aggressive PVC pipe to roll out on and that is what I use to take care of the rest of my back and hamstrings and such and also the lacrosse ball to really crush your soul!  It takes time to undue all of it, like many months, but my  back was in a bad place and now after about a year of persistent treatment I am pain free when before I would hit five golf balls and my right leg would go numb.  I also agree with some of the  other posters that you should take a look at other aspects such as your bed and office chair as improvements in these areas can speed up your rehab process. Inversion tables also do a number on the hip flexors which undoes a lot of issues that sitting down a lot creates. Inversion is pretty intense at first and you  will have to get used to it especially when you get off the table and the pressure is put back onto the vertebrae but this should be expected and it becomes less intense over time.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I find these better, though my back issues are more sore muscles, not spinal.

30 minutes on this (ive even fallen asleep on it) and Im golden (no shirt on)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HSG9PHL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by PixlPutterman

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Inversion tables can work if you have a disc pathology i.e. herniation but there are so many other factors involved that others have alluded to -- past medical history, type of injury, etc. so I have no idea if you in particular are appropriate to use one. It could make matters worse for you so your best bet is to refrain from it for now.

Go and get a script for physical therapy from your doctor to do PT (some states have direct access so you do not even not to see your doctor first for an order to do PT) and do some research on locating a good therapist within your region. They will be able to identify the type of back pain you have and provide sound education and give you a good home exercise program to follow.

80-90% of Americans suffer some back related ailments within their lifespan so it's nothing that a good PT hasn't seen before, and knows how to manage properly.

• Like 1

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

If you're looking for decompression in the spine there are alternatives without equipment you can try but again I have no idea if its the appropriate method to alleviate the back ailment. And as mentioned before, it very well could make matters worse. Here are a few self options if an inversion table is not appropriate for you to use and your doctor/PT have ordered you to do traction as an intervention.

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

In my experience in working with golfers that suffer from back pain, the MOST common assessment I find is the extreme limitation of hip extension range of motion. Meaning, it is difficult to extend the leg behind to a good amount of range of motion without compensating by arching the back or it causes pain, etc.

SO you have to get the hip flexors and quadriceps and various other musculotendinosus junctions within the hip girdle lengthened with appropriate stretching AND THEN you have to strengthen the glutes and "core" musculature.

Decompression techniques can give you pain relief i.e. inversion table -- again if appropriate for the individual -- the problem is as a golfer your spine flexes/extends/side bends and rotates at a high velocity so all your muscles are just going to clench up again at some point to protect the spine and then you're back to square one. Long story short and to over simplify things, you need to stretch the muscles that are tight and strengthen the ones that are weak to offload the strain on the potential pathology at the spinal segment(s). This will give you the ultimate benefit.

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

10 hours ago, BTP said:

In my experience in working with golfers that suffer from back pain, the MOST common assessment I find is the extreme limitation of hip extension range of motion. Meaning, it is difficult to extend the leg behind to a good amount of range of motion without compensating by arching the back or it causes pain, etc.

SO you have to get the hip flexors and quadriceps and various other musculotendinosus junctions within the hip girdle lengthened with appropriate stretching AND THEN you have to strengthen the glutes and "core" musculature.

Decompression techniques can give you pain relief i.e. inversion table -- again if appropriate for the individual -- the problem is as a golfer your spine flexes/extends/side bends and rotates at a high velocity so all your muscles are just going to clench up again at some point to protect the spine and then you're back to square one. Long story short and to over simplify things, you need to stretch the muscles that are tight and strengthen the ones that are weak to offload the strain on the potential pathology at the spinal segment(s). This will give you the ultimate benefit.

Life always comes back to doing your squats and deadlifts, doesn't it?

1 hour ago, golfortennis said:

Life always comes back to doing your squats and deadlifts, doesn't it?

For the most part. The correct muscles have to be loaded in a functional manner specific to the golf swing to build up tensile strength to therefore give you better stability and a more stable base to perform a quick ballistic high velocity motion over and over. If you're weak in the wrong areas, you're overworking muscles that don't want to be loaded in that way which equals eventual discomfort, pain, malalignment, you name it.

• Like 1

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

I have a degenerated disk in my lumbar and bought a Teeter a couple years ago. It was a failed experiment. A couple times my spine hurt much worse after getting off of it. That was enough to put it on Craigslist. 

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

On 7/15/2021 at 1:20 AM, KarstenK said:

I have a degenerated disk in my lumbar and bought a Teeter a couple years ago. It was a failed experiment. A couple times my spine hurt much worse after getting off of it. That was enough to put it on Craigslist. 

All useful methods to clear up a lumbar issue are painful, and sometimes horribly so.  I remember almost being in tears on multiple occasions while using my inversion table, PVC roller, or lacrosse ball but lumbar vertebrae and discs are protected by some very strong muscle groups and so you will have to go through the grinder to get to the other side and recover fully.  There are many times that you will hurt worse after treatment as this should be the case because nothing about it is a tender fun loving experience.  It is a painful process to undue the damage done and this should be expected.  My disc looked like a triangle it was so pinched and I could barely turn my head from side to side because I was in so much pain and now I am completely pain free with out restriction and it definitely wasn't an easy process but definitely worth it.  

• Like 1