Would these spec changes really have that much impact on my shots?

I ordered Forged tec irons last season 1/4 inch short of standard and 1* flat. Stock stiff $taper lite.
Never hit them great and misses usually right despite more offset than I usually play.

Thinking about trading them towards ZX5 or ZX 7 Srixon. Went to my local Golftown where they has the forged tec demo cart and i put the STD loft length and lie head and $ taper lite shaft and hit them against the Srixons with their stock shaft offerings.

I could not believe how good they felt .Every ball dead straight or hint of draw. And much more consistent than with the Srixons.

Could the 1/4 inch length and or the 1* flat have such an impact on my shots?
For the record am 5'8 Driver SS around 100-104.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The short answer is yes it can make a big difference even with such small changes. I’m a huge believer that lie angle shouldn’t be close to what fits you, it needs to be EXACTLY what fits you. Incorre

Counter to previous posters, I’d say that it is very unlikely 1/4” and 1 degree make much difference.  Maybe a little - but not a lot.   Based on your OP, it sounds as if you are comparing r

Posted (edited)

The short answer is yes it can make a big difference even with such small changes. I’m a huge believer that lie angle shouldn’t be close to what fits you, it needs to be EXACTLY what fits you. Incorrect lie angles cause you to compensate even if you don’t realize you are doing it. Length affects feel, swingweight, overall weight anc comfort. Getting it right can make a big difference even if it’s that little 1/4” change. 

Edited by mogc60
  • Like 2

SRIXON ZX5 9.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 60X.                                              SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               SRIXON H85 16 MATRIX BLACKTIE 95 SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                   CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0                                         CLEVELAND RTX4 58* CATALYST 100 6.0.                                             SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38” SNELL MTB-X

Well I can always get the lie bent a degree. Figure off grass lies which are rarely perfectly flat 1* would be minor.

Would extending the shaft a quarter inch to get it back to standard affect shaft performance? Would be cost prohibitive to reshaft completely for 1/4 inch length adjustment.

Posted (edited)

My eye is pretty sensitive to lie angle, which tells me most other peoples' probably are, too.

Most people can sense 2o and if you're looking for it, even 10 can be observable. I tend to prefer my clubs a bit upright. Give me something that's too flat and I'll definitely notice. 

Keep in mind that gripping down (or removing some of the shaft) also has the effect of flattening the lie angle. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could sense it. 

Edited by MelloYello

SIM Dr (10.5o) (Tensei Pro Orange 60TX)
SIM 3w (17o) (Tensei Pro White 60TX)

M6 7w (21o) (Diamana Blue 70S)

z785 (4-Pw) (Modus3 Tour120)
SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
Newport 2 Select

Posted (edited)

Counter to previous posters, I’d say that it is very unlikely 1/4” and 1 degree make much difference.  Maybe a little - but not a lot.

Based on your OP, it sounds as if you are comparing real world, outside, variable lie experience and observation (i.e., real golf) to hitting off a mat, while dead flat, using multiple no stress balls to groove ball position, and a computer generated simulation of ball flight based on balls that have had the snot pounded out of them and almost certainly provide less than perfect spin representation which in turn yields straighter ball flight (I.e., typical indoor demo conditions).

Simple solution - pick the two clubs you hit best during actual golf, have one bent upright a degree, and compare them for a few rounds.  You might also slap a little lead tape on a head as well.  There is as much chance that slightly different swing weights from a longer shaft plus added weight of shaft fit connector was the issue as there is 1/4” length and 1 degree lie - especially if the main difference is hitting the center of the clubface vice exploring the whole clubface.

In any case, good luck.

Edited by Aviador Naval
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

917D2 9.5 w/S+

TS2 16.5 and 21 w/AD-DI

ZX-U 3i w/NS 950GH -or- 818 H1 23 deg w/AD-DI

ZX5 5i - 6i and ZX7 7i - PW w/Modus 105

SM7 50-12, SM7 54S, and SM6 58-12K @ 59

Ping MnBn MyDay

Thanks. I assumed it would flatten lie another degree.

I usually prefer my irons around a 60 * roughly 5 iron given my height.

I also don't like going left with my irons.

That said I am definitely missing with a lot more push type shots where I expect a draw and it doesn't happen.

Maybe bending them 1 up would help.

7 hours ago, Aviador Naval said:

Counter to previous posters, I’d say that it is very unlikely 1/4” and 1 degree make much difference.  Maybe a little - but not a lot.

Based on your OP, it sounds as if you are comparing real world, outside, variable lie experience and observation (i.e., real golf) to hitting off a mat, while dead flat, using multiple no stress balls to groove ball position, and a computer generated simulation of ball flight based on balls that have had the snot pounded out of them and almost certainly provide less than perfect spin representation which in turn yields straighter ball flight (I.e., typical indoor demo conditions).

Simple solution - pick the two clubs you hit best during actual golf, have one bent upright a degree, and compare them for a few rounds.  You might also slap a little lead tape on a head as well.  There is as much chance that slightly different swing weights from a longer shaft plus added weight of shaft fit connector was the issue as there is 1/4” length and 1 degree lie - especially if the main difference is hitting the center of the clubface vice exploring the whole clubface.

In any case, good luck.

No question Matt is different than grass. Was using a new prov1 and was a gcquad so a good simulation though without the dots on the face.

I was comparatively hitting Srixon irons and was wilder with those and missing mostly left. So was not just me grooving my swing.

Cobra's had nice gentle draw finishing on or 3 yards left of center.

Man I want that ball flight on the course.

I could have 1 or 2 clubs bent one up and see if the ball flight turns over more and if contact is better.

7 hours ago, Aviador Naval said:

.  You might also slap a little lead tape on a head as well.  There is as much chance that slightly different swing weights from a longer shaft plus added weight of shaft fit connector was the issue as there is 1/4” length and 1 degree lie - especially if the main difference is hitting the center of the clubface vice exploring the whole clubface.

My irons were factory ordered 1/4short so swing weight is same. Maybe the connector adds some swingweight so they are above standard. Interesting thought.