The best shot you have ever hit?

So, I am not necessarily talking about your "hole in one" here: we all know that some are great swings and some are luck.  I want to know what is a swing that stuck with you and that you look back on and go "wow, I want to make that swing again-that felt incredible!"  

Last Thursday, I teed off on a slightly elevated tee needing to carry about 240 to be middle fairway on a dog-leg.   I hit my old reliable, a 3-hybrid G400 built to swing weight D5 at 39.75", purchased from someone here.  The club is an easy 235 carry for me, so carrying 245 from the elevated tee would be perfect.  As it was a no pressure situation, I took a nice smooth backswing, loaded that right leg, and drove down and through the ball almost effortlessly.  The hybrid carried 265 and flew the landing area, putting me into jail in the far trees.  It was the best hybrid I have ever hit (and right out of play!). Such a smooth effortless swing, but one that shows the power available when not bleeding it out due to poor mechanics. 

I need to replicate that swing.  And, if I am going to hit that club so well, I should just bag the driver, which is wild and inconsistent for me.  Perhaps I should see a fitter and say "make my driver feel like this hybrid!". 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The shots that stick out to me most always seem to be long iron approaches or second shots into par 5s. I think one of the best shots I hit was on the Straits course at Whistling Straits, 11th hole. I

Recently at Chambers Bay on the 12th hole I blew my drive off the planet to the right, but I ended up with a decent lie on packed dirt/gravel up on on the access road. Couldn’t see the green, didn’t r

Most recently, #18 at Oak Quarry - my "farewell LA" round.   7:45AM tee time on a Sunday morning. I always try to arrive AT LEAST 45mins early to not be rushed, have a bite to eat, get in a

Posted Images

I typically have at least one shot per round where everything clicks. Right club, good aim, perfect swing, pow.

Tiger said he tries for one shot per round. If he hits 2, he's winning. 

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

Recently at Chambers Bay on the 12th hole I blew my drive off the planet to the right, but I ended up with a decent lie on packed dirt/gravel up on on the access road. Couldn’t see the green, didn’t really know the yardage, so I took a 47*, thought hard about where I believed the flag was, and swung away.  I hit it to 10 feet and made the putt.

• Thanks 1

I recently hit a nice hybrid into a green, but found the greenside bunker. I'm righthanded and the ball landed in the back of the left bunker. Meaning I had no stance if I wanted to attack the pin. Thankfully it was not a super high bunker (about 20 cm/8 inches), but I still had to make an effort to get to the ball. I manage to make a perfect swing with the awkward stance and the ball lands on the green, lands about a meter away from the pin and rolls in. Shot of the year (sofar at least)! 

Played Marshall Canyon yesterday.  9th hole plays 300 down hill but plays closer to 280.  Can't pull out driver because if I connect  it will fly over and it's OB long.  I grab 3 metal and pure it.  High 10 yard draw heading towards the green.  Give a club twirl, get back in my cart and drive.  Wait for the rest of my group to hit their approach shots.  Drive up to the green and there it is, sitting there on the front of the green sitting pretty about 15 feet left of the pin.  I really need to be able to hit my 3 metal off the tee solid especially when I have short par 4's that are reachable with lot of OB both ways and I pulled it off yesterday.  I would love to have that shot in my bag as something I can really rely on. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

The shots that stick out to me most always seem to be long iron approaches or second shots into par 5s. I think one of the best shots I hit was on the Straits course at Whistling Straits, 11th hole. I hit a perfect drive and had a chance to go for it. I was in the 245 range and hit a perfect 2 hybrid that finished about 25 feet away. Unfortunately I didn't convert but a shot like that on a well known course has stuck with me. 

• Like 2

Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
Titleist TSi3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist 818 H2 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 3-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 Raw 47-07 PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 54* S PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 60* M PX 6.0
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol 1.0

I traveled to play a scramble tournament and because I didn't sign up with a foursome I got paired with another single so our little "team" was the odd men out.  It sucked because we had to sit around waiting the whole time, and we each played 2 balls and played the best out of the 4, same as if we had a foursome.  I recall pumping a nice drive into the fairway on a par 5 that we used, and my playing partner couldn't get there in 2, but I had a great yardage for a 3 iron over water onto the green from a slight sidehill lie.  The ball went up and drew, flying right over the flagstick and stayed about 10 feet from the hole, it was a pure sweet shot.  My playing partner and I both perked up and the congratulations were flowing, but I had another shot at it so I went ahead.  Exact same perfect contact, exact same ballflight right at the flag, but even better.  This one finished up about 5 feet away and we easily made the eagle.

TEE C721 10.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 X

TEE XCG 13* Whiteboard 73S PUREd

PING G425 Crossover 2i Alta CB S

PING i210 4-U DG 120 S

PING Gorge Tour 54*, 58*

PING 2021 Tyne 4 34"

Had a decent round going a few weeks ago and proceeded to thin a 9 iron into the water on a short par 3 that was frustrating to say the least. Went to the drop zone and holed out from about 80 yards to save par. It was a busy day and the foursome behind me and in front of me on the next teebox all saw it go in and were all cheering and hollering. Probably one of the best feeling moments for me in my very average game

Posted (edited)

Good topic 

haha ok so my best comes in a member guest playing with my step dad , 

we had an awful first day and just never hit our stride but if we won all our matches the 2nd day we would make it to the playoff 

after a 4 up win on the first 9 of the day were on the 2nd 9 and locked in a battle , we get to the 13th a very gettable par 5 (if you can carry the trap, which we all can on wrx) as is typical on a jammed member guest the par 5 is backed up so we have an audience. 

I want to just kill one and the guys are kinda chirping at the "younger" guy , I proceed to flare one so far to the right (onto the 10th hole) that one of the guys proclaims "I didn't think the houses were in play" 

Fortunately I am on the fairway with 236 on the gun , (somehow my 5 wood number, not 235 or 237)

I lace one, sling a draw to maybe 25 feet , & walk in the eagle putt

the guys pick up , devastated,  and then realized they really should have putt the 20 footer for birdie with a stroke. Match was over from there , 

we ended up getting into the playoff , missed a putt for the win and came 2nd in the shootout. Lots of fun ! 

Here is me standing 236 away in the 10th hole adjacent to the right 😆 

13th.JPG

Edited by c7015

TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

Two shots come to mind both with the same club.  It was a component head 16 deg 3wd similar to the old orlimar maraging heads from the 90's.

In '99 I went to Scotland for the first time on a golf vacation with a good friend.  We got to play Carnoustie 7 weeks after Van De Velde's collapse.  Anyway the package included a round at Prestwick.  On the 13th hole,461 yards, having lost confidence in my driver I used this 3wd off the tee into a 2 club wind but got under it cause these heads were really shallow and the wind ate it up.  I was playing the maxfli revolution balata then which was a very good ball in its day.  So we get to my ball and I see a twosome on the green and asked my caddie Chris what club I need.  He says "It's all ya' got in yer bag".  I ask if I need to wait for the green to clear and he says "hit away".  So I line up the shot with the same 3wd and absolutely nut this thing, think Phil at Muirfield on the 2nd shot into 17 on the final day; the ball never gets 15 feet off the ground cuts through the wind like an arrow straight at the pin, which by now is being put on the ground while the twosome is putting.  The ball lands a good 35 yards short of the green in the subtle mogles and jumps dead straight rolls on the green between the guy putting and the hole goes up the slope beyond the putting surface and rolls back to 4 ft. for birdie.  My caddie turns to me - eyes wide open and exclaims "What an amazing shot!" He the proceeds to beckon to his fellow caddie- "BRIAN! DID YOU SEE THAT SHOT?!  IT WAS MAHGIC!"

Of course I missed the putt...

The other was the same club from 270 yards out on a 567 yd par 5 in a City Amateur.  Same action- low screaming bullet landing short and rolling to 5 ft for eagle- made that putt.  

That club was the only club I hit better while playing than I did while practicing.  The face finally cracked and I tried another one but the magic was gone.

End of summer.  End of the day.  A little chill in the air.  18th hole, up hill into a light quartering wind.  195 to the flag.  I absolutely smoked a 4 iron.  High arc with a light draw into the wind and on the green.  I can't recall if I made the putt and I don't remember my score.  But I have never hit an iron shot that felt as pure as that one and the ball flew exactly like the shot I saw in my mind before I hit it.

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Was 255 out on a Par-5 playing into the wind.  Fairway slopes hard left toward the creek that runs the length of the fairway and turns into a pond that surrounds all but the right side of the green.  The play is to lay up, no question, but I was feeling salty.  Absolutely torched a trapped 1-iron, low with a little draw to get the extra 10-yards I needed...yeah, a draw toward all the water...it was dumb as hell.  Purest shot I've ever hit in my life and no other shot has come close.  Made the 10-footer for eagle.

Posted (edited)

Most recently, #18 at Oak Quarry - my "farewell LA" round.

7:45AM tee time on a Sunday morning. I always try to arrive AT LEAST 45mins early to not be rushed, have a bite to eat, get in a nice warmup and be ready to go. You figure that even in LA; driving to Riverside at 6AM isn't going to be a problem, right? 

Ho ho ho, not that day. Making time as expected on the 60 ... then about halfway there, for SOME insane reason, the entire eastbound side is CLOSED for a mile (and my nav didn't warn me of this before I left - otherwise I'd have just taken the 10). Had to sit in stopped traffic to exit and loop around surface roads to get back on. My 7AM arrival suddenly became 7:30AM. 

So, now I'm in a mad rush ... barely enough time to get there, change shoes, check in and pay and MAYBE be able to hit a few balls on the range to loosen up after sitting in my car for an hour and a half. I had planned to grab my traditional pre-round McMuffin at the McD's just off the freeway but I decided warming up was more important. 

So I did get there, I did check in, I did hit about 10 PWs on the range before time to tee off. But I was pretty certain at this point it wasn't going to be a great round. And it wasn't. I don't do well with traffic or being late so things were just off. It wasn't a total DISASTER and there was some good play in spots ... just not the round I was hoping for on my favorite little track in the "within an hour of LA" vicinity. 

We get to #18 (formerly #16) - a slightly uphill, 560 yard par 5 with a pond fronting the left side of the fairway and green from around 150 yards in. And I'm like "Ok bro, let's just chill out and play this last one like you're not an idiot." 

Proceeded to hit 3 perfect shots. Like, swing felt perfect, contact felt perfect, ball flight was perfect and went right where I wanted. Three shots - after a less than stellar day - that make you think "Hey man, I've got this game figured out." 

BARELY missed the 15 footer for birdie (this was my putting story all damn day) but a tap in par after those three shots made it OK. 

Edited by aenemated
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi4 10°

Titleist TSi3 15°

Titleist TS2 18°

Taylormade P7MC 4-PW

Vokey 54°, 60°

Scotty Cameron Newport 

26 minutes ago, aenemated said:

Most recently, #18 at Oak Quarry - my "farewell LA" round.

7:45AM tee time on a Sunday morning. I always try to arrive AT LEAST 45mins early to not be rushed, have a bite to eat, get in a nice warmup and be ready to go. You figure that even in LA; driving to Riverside at 6AM isn't going to be a problem, right? 

Ho ho ho, not that day. Making time as expected on the 60 ... then about halfway there, for SOME insane reason, the entire eastbound side is CLOSED for a mile (and my nav didn't warn me of this before I left - otherwise I'd have just taken the 10). Had to sit in stopped traffic to exit and loop around surface roads to get back on. My 7AM arrival suddenly became 7:30AM. 

So, now I'm in a mad rush ... barely enough time to get there, change shoes, check in and pay and MAYBE be able to hit a few balls on the range to loosen up after sitting in my car for an hour and a half. I had planned to grab my traditional pre-round McMuffin at the McD's just off the freeway but I decided warming up was more important. 

So I did get there, I did check in, I did hit about 10 PWs on the range before time to tee off. But I was pretty certain at this point it wasn't going to be a great round. And it wasn't. I don't do well with traffic or being late so things were just off. It wasn't a total DISASTER and there was some good play in spots ... just not the round I was hoping for on my favorite little track in the "within an hour of LA" vicinity. 

We get to #18 (formerly #16) - a slightly uphill, 560 yard par 5 with a pond fronting the left side of the fairway and green from around 150 yards in. And I'm like "Ok bro, let's just chill out and play this last one like you're not an idiot." 

Proceeded to hit 3 perfect shots. Like, swing felt perfect, contact felt perfect, ball flight was perfect and went right where I wanted. Three shots - after a less than stellar day - that make you think "Hey man, I've got this game figured out." 

BARELY missed the 15 footer for birdie (this was my putting story all damn day) but a tap in par after those three shots made it OK. 

the ONE round I've ever played in CA was here and what a beaut of a course! Cant wait to get back. 

I have a bit of a different story. Quarry Pines, Tucson az Hole 1. Par 5 after a VERY less than stellar drive left me 310 out. I know I'm not getting there but I know I want to be close as the green is the smallest of the entire 18. I proceed to absolutely thin the ever living nuts out of a 3w. This thing put every single critter taller than a worm in danger. Skips off the top of a hill and hit everything except the center of my club face...cart path, maybe a sprinkler, dry dirt fairways, lord only knows...but were watching it the whole way and it just keeps going. Rolls up the front of the green, hits the stick and kicks to maybe a foot to the left. Tap in eagle after 2 absolutely s*** shots. Golf is weird.  

• Like 1

Driver: Sim2 8* // Ventus Blue Velocore

FW: Sim 3 // Oban Devotion 

H: Sim 3/4  // Oban Devotion 

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 HMP // KBS Tour V

Wedges: Vokey 54M/58D

Putter: Spider X // SuperStroke 3

Ball: 2019 TP5x

Last summer..... Drove it through the fairway on a a dog-leg left par 4. 130yds to the pin, dead-pan lie with a ~ massive 100+ ft tall pine tree directly between me and the green, but closer to me. Punch out was not a given as the fairway was narrow and guarded on the near side by a steep mound and the far side by a creek. I say eff it and pull a 9-iron, put the ball up in my stance and gave it the most herculean swing I could. Contact was perfect and the ball just clears the tip-top of the tree and lands on the green 40' from the hole. Sunk the putt. Competition was devastated.

There's a lot to choose from because i am so amazing, but would probably go with a tournament round from a couple of years back where i was having a terrible round, and had made a quintuple bogey..

Suffice to say, a 90 was in play. The 17th hole has the hardest hole on the course and one of the hardest anywhere frankly--I had a 225yd approach with OB right and stakes left. I stuck a hybrid to 10 feet knowing that a poor shot would result in posting a 90 LOL...

I was proud of that one

Cobra RadSpeed XB 9 w/PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke Black 80
Cobra F9 Tour 13.5 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 70
Titleist TS3 hybrid 20 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

Posted (edited)

Was last year and my first eagle, this hole previously has always played havoc on my eyes. The teebox is offset to the left the the fairway so you have to aim way right into a tree line vs open space in the fairway, because if it goes anywhere left it's gone and you're dropping 3. I decided to play it differently and take a 3 wood because there was a favorable wind playing back right to front left. Pull my 3W on this short par 5 and just hit it and straight into the fairway, smart move and now hitting 2 vs my usual 3.

Get up to the ball it's on a slight downhill, wind at my back and pinged the flag at 205 yards on my rangefinder, felt a 6i was right as I didn't want to fly the green with a 5i due to the wind. Took 2 practice swings to get a feel for the lie I stepped up and hit a perfect shot, ball took off high in the air, small divot taken out of the ground and unfortunately I lost the flight in the air due to the sun but it was heading straight at the pin. 

Drove up to the hole, and saw the ball pin high, walked up to the green and saw it was 3ft away, I had that left for eagle. I fixed my divot and a few more figured get some karma from the golf gods right now, lined up the putt, stepped up and center cup for eagle 3. Then I realized it doesn't count because I was playing alone lol. 

20200823_153615.jpg.9dafab5344ca86605cb5e49da603a49f.jpg

Edited by MattM97

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - SIK Pro Tour Proto - and more. 

WITB Thread

Managed a natural eagle (no hole out shot from fairway) on a par five.  Drive was so-so but I hit a 5 iron off of hardpan fairway to about 12 feet and made the putt for the three.  That five iron was the purest shot I have ever hit, and while I have hit shots before that you just feel all through you, this one not only felt great through my hands and arms but also came off the face on the line just as I had pictured in my mind's eye.  Sinking the putt was just luck.  Even if I had missed it the iron shot still would have been memorable.

I love nothing more than being exactly 100 out and hitting a 3/4 gap wedge one hit stop within 5 feet.

That said it's easily the hole in 1 I had just a few days ago on a 320 yard par 4. Slightly downwind, absolutely smoked a perfect draw and said that "may be on the green" (it's blind). 

Epic Max LS. oban kiyoshi gold 75x

TS2 3W fuji speeder 84x

TS2 3H tensei blue 80x

Ping i20 4-gw x100

Cleveland 797 BeNi 55*

Callaway pm grind 60*

Odyssey Toulon Atlanta

Posted (edited)

My best shot isnt the one that people would think about (except myself) if you looked at all the shots over the years.

I've got a an ace on a par 4. A couple cool holeouts and crazy makes etc.

My best shot was being down two shots in the club championship. 505 yard par five finisher. Adrenaline pumping. I went driver-9 iron on a par five and hit that iron to 6 feet to make eagle. A dog leg left (Lefty golfer). Wind at our back. Two shots back with one hole left to play and made an "easy" three to get in a playoff haha.

I lost in that playoff so I'll cut the humble brag short right there, but under the pressure and situation I never have strung a driver and iron combo together better or more pure than that when the chips were down. A whole group of golfers surrounding the green and watching too. 

Edited by Mcgeeno

Happened yesterday...216 to a back pin on a 560 yard par 5.  Hit a pure 6 iron all over the flag, walked around the green for 5 minutes looking for my ball. Holed out for albatross.  Absolutely couldn’t believe it. 

EBC1CCA6-8A82-4414-9E26-B324EABD9ED1.jpeg

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 9*  KBS TD Cat4

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

Just too many over the years to really pick a winner. A drilled 5 iron second shot drawn from 195 over water on a Par 5 to 3 feet, a called escape shot from trouble left with a 5W that went under these branches, over those branches, ballooned a bit to catch the wind, drifted back over the line of trees back into the middle of fairway to the yardage I called originally. Catching the slope and ground roll just right on a firm Florida course to nearly drive the green at 400+, 5 Iron across the chasm at #8 at Pebble to middle of the green, a low, slapped 2 Iron from the bottom of a gorge of death at Pasatiempo that must have sliced 40 yards, landed then just kept rolling up to the green and hit the pin. And there's probably plenty of shots that were pured that just don't stand out because that's the whole idea.

Drove off to the left of a dog leg left par 5.  Not sure how far out I was for shot #2 but, from where I stood, it was 100 yards to the dog leg and another 130 from the corner to the green.  I pulled out my 5 iron, set up a bit to the right of the bend, twisted the club face closed, and put a perfect in-to-out swing on it.  The ball went a perfect 100 yards dead straight and then turned 90 degrees left like it had hit a wall.  It flew another 100 yards and bounced the rest of the way on to the green.  The ball never got higher than 30' off the ground.  Just a low, hard hook that ended up perfect.

Then I three putted the hole and ended up with a par.............. 😠

Ive been playing golf for 45 years, so suffice it to say, I've had several memorable shots.  

A 5i between two tall pine trees from left rough, ball flew perfectly between the trees, over the lake and faded to the pin - birdie.

I drew a 4i around a big oak tree from the left rough, and I mean a BIG draw to 6 ft, - birdie.

a somewhat high 220 yd 3i fade into a water bound tight par 5.  Putt for an eagle

A 220 yd. 5w onto an island green from a respectable downhill lie. I only cleared the water by maybe an inch, but I got over and on.  2 putt for par from an impossible position.

4 eagles from 120-150 yards out

a approx 90 ft downhill lightning fast putt with a 20 ft break for a pure luck birdie.

Zero Aces.  Still waiting on that one.

The shots a pro would be proud of don't come often enough, but if you play long enough, they will come, eventually.

Mine has to be my second hole in one. Par 3 15th at my home club. 189 yards a little downhill. Barely felt a thing when I hit it, the purest contact ever. Baby draw, pitch mark about 10 feet short and the ball sitting perfectly in the hole. 

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2021

www.youtube.com/oneillgolf

A couple of pured 3 metals that just felt so good and got "wows" from playing partners stick out from my memory banks.

WITB will be comprised from below:

Driver: TM M5, or Sim Max, or Ping G410 Plus, or Mizuno JPX 900, all 10.5* 
3 Wood: TM M1 HL or Mizuno GT 180 

5 Wood: TM M1 

Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 850 3H or Mizuno CLK 4H

Irons: Ping i500 5-PW, Mizuno MP-H5 3 iron or Mizuno MP-18 MB 4-PW
Wedges: TM MG2 52*, Gauge Design TCG Wedge 56*
Putter: Xenon Kurve Hotrod, or SC Futura 5S, or SC Del Mar, or Odyssey Works V-Line CS
Ball: Snell MTB Black or Srixon Q-Star Tour