2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The best shot you have ever hit?

9 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

I had the same scenario play out recently.  Perfect drive, 280 or so, then holed out from just over 140-perfect 9-iron that spun back into the cup. Trouble was, it was the 18th, so no swagger for me!  At the end of a bad round, no less. I didn't find a groove until 16. 

Nice, I played the same hole today. Drive was a bit shorter, drilled a nice knockdown 8 from 160, my heart dropped when I saw the path. Pin high, 10 feet to the right and I missed the putt. 

Edited by Tax77

Back in 1984, at the end of the round where I got my first HIO, I pushed my drive on 18 behind a stand of trees and bushes. I had to get the ball up over the bushes but keep it below the lowest limbs of the trees. The shot was uphill to a pin that was back left and tucked behind a greenside bunker and I had to play about a 10 yard fade. The ball ended up less than a foot from the hole for a tap-in birdie. I am much more proud of that shot than the HIO that day, where I used too much club and bladed it. It never got higher than the flagstick and just happened to hit the front of the green and end up in the cup.

Tied between two shots. First was with a known golf media personality doing a shoot on an unnamed SF Bay Area golf course; Par 3, 180+ yds, pushed right of the green, right of the green side bunker. Pin is on the right of the green so no room to work. I figure, what the hell, pull the 60, open the face and go to town. Pops up and lands two feet from the hole and stops dead. Make the putt for 3. The flop shot is by far the most exhilarating shot in golf--it either works out terrific or horribly...very black and white.

The other shot was a Par 5, where my first tee shot went left OB. Re-tee and drove it into the center of the fairway. 265 yds, 3 wood to back pin; murder the 3 wood with my usual fade but this time the ball is very high in the air (I did not plan on this) and it lands eight feet from the hole and spins BACK a touch (granted the green is a bit back to front). I proceed to make the putt for a mega 5.

• Like 2

Driver: Srixon ZX7 Tensei CK Pro Orange 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist TSi3 (15*) Graphite Design Tour AD TSG 75X

Driving Iron: Srixon ZX Utility 2 (18*) Modus3 105 X

Irons: Srixon ZX7 Modus3 105 X (4-PW)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 52, 56, 60 S400

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S Stroke Lab

Just 3 weeks ago I thought I was dead in the left trees after a crappy sliced drive on a 385 yd hole. Got to my ball and had a swing but not much of a path to the green and about 180 out. If I could hit a low 6-8 yd cut under some tree branches and keep it no more than 4-5 feet off the ground it might run up somewhere close. I'm a lefty so I hit a low choke down to the end of the grip 3 wood which I played way back in the stance. It came off perfectly and stayed under the branches, sliced nicely and ran up on the green to about 12 ft.  2 friends were standing by me watching, they just said wow, great shot. I made the putt for an unexpected 3. I suck and it was lucky but one of the best shots I've ever hit. 

Ping G410 Driver

TM 200 Steel 3W

Lynx Parallax 3-SW

Ping Eye 2 SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1

12 hours ago, chussey said:

The flop shot is by far the most exhilarating shot in golf--it either works out terrific or horribly...very black and white.

The other shot was a Par 5, where my first tee shot went left OB. Re-tee and drove it into the center of the fairway. 265 yds, 3 wood to back pin; murder the 3 wood with my usual fade but this time the ball is very high in the air (I did not plan on this) and it lands eight feet from the hole and spins BACK a touch (granted the green is a bit back to front). I proceed to make the putt for a mega 5.

Nice description of the flop shot👍, and I've made par on a par 5 in similar fashion. Drove OB, then for my 4th shot from the fairway I nuked a 7w that ended up 6ft from the hole, and I made the putt for par.

Funnily enough, that same year I made no eagles, but made two pars on par fives after going OB. That was the first, and the second time I did it, I hit my second (the same 7w) OB, fourth shot ended up left fringe and I hit a long chip-and-run with a 6i that jus dropped beautifully in the hole for par.

Different courses and different holes, though.

• Haha 1

Last week I holed out for eagle from 102 yards on a par 5.  Everything about it felt great. 

Early this season I made an approximately 50 foot put, downhill slope, double break, raining and windy.  

I agree with TM4me about pulling off shaped shots.  I badly sliced a drive over trees lining the right side and my ball made it to the opposite side of the adjacent fairway.  About 240 yards from the green, my intent was to get the ball back over the trees and, with a strong fade, move it right.  I used a 5i as I was sure the 4i didn't have enough loft to get over the trees.  It worked as planned and I ended up about 20 yards short of the green dead center in the fairway.  These are the shots that make it all worthwhile.

Third shot on a Par 5. Had to chip out sideways due to tree trouble after my tee shot. 

3 wood. 265 to the green downhill. 

The most perfect fade landing just short, rolling on feeding to a foot away from the front right pin. 

Everything about it was exactly as I pictured it. 

My best shot ever...........Hmmmm.

Probably 1990 or 91.  Playing competitively at a low level and not near the money on a regular basis.  Strung together two good rounds and one mediocre one.  17th hole, final round, trailing by at least 2 (I didn't know exactly.)  Par 5, drove it into the pine trees on the left.  Stood there imaging this sweeping low hook that could catch the apron and run up onto the green and leave me with an eagle putt.  

We all know that it never actually happens like we envision it, but I setup for it anyway.  Grab the 4 wood.  Good strike, started bending to the left, low piercing flight.  Ran up the apron to within 4 feet.  

Had some pretty good shots in my time, but that one sticks in my head.  

Edited by JCN

Had 100 yards into #9, a par 4 when I was about 13 or 14.

I remember being pretty frustrated at that 9 and was playing badly.

My dad had just finished an apple he picked off a tree the hole before, and was sitting in the cart next to me hitting my 2nd on #9. Right as I finished my backswing he threw the apple at my ball and I hit the ball and the apple at exactly the same time and it exploded all over me, covering my clothes and face and everything.

I didn't see my ball in the air as I was cleaning apple off myself, and when I got up to the green I couldn't find it.

There was a little ballmark about a foot in front of the hole, turns out it went in! Most annoying eagle of my life

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

• 2 weeks later...

Last Wednesday it was close to 50 so my new neighbor golf buddy and I decided to play at my club.  The 10th hole (the club is 9 holes, so it was the 1st hole 2nd time around) is a shorter dogleg right par 5 with a fairway bunker on the outside of the dogleg.  Usually I just aim at the bunker with a 3 wood, but  I hit driver over the bunker and cut the dogleg and had about 180 to the front of the green, 190 total.  I played a knock down 6 iron because the ground was pretty hard and I wanted to run the ball onto the green.  The shot came off perfectly, landed about 10 yards short of the green bounced a couple times onto the green and rolled into the hole.  

I've never had a hole in one but I've made an eagle on a par 4 (also with a 6 iron) - but to do it on a par 5 that required two great shots - that was a great feeling

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSI3 10.0* 
Titleist TSI1 15* 

Titleist TS2 18*
Titleist T100S Black 4-PM
Vokey SM8 48F

Vokey SM8 54F
Vokey SM9 60T
Ping Anser 2D

Had a warm up round before the regional final of the EGU gold medal (after qualifying at both courses I was a member at that year). The tournament was at the course my coach was attached to so we went out and looked at some holes. We ended on the 9th, a 518 yard par 5. He pointed over a sea of waist deep rough and said "hit it really hard in that direction" I absolutely creamed my drive, leaving about 200 yards to the pin. "Hit hybrid, don't think about it, aim at the flag". I made pure contact leaving a few feet for the Eagle. Its the single best collection of golf I've ever played. 3 basically perfect shots.

• Thanks 1

Irons - Titleist 620MB/CB - Nippon Modus 125S

Wedges - Mizuno T22 Raw 51*/08* S Grind, 55*/09* D Grind 59*/09* C Grind - Modus 125 Wedge

Hybrid - Ping G425 4h lofted all the way down - Tour AD DI 75 Stiff

Fairway - Ping G425 max 5w - Mitsubishi blue 70 stiff

Driver - Ping G25

Putter - Odyssey #7

I know the thread is "Best shot you ever hit" but I've got to make an exception here.  City tournament, down 1 going to 18 that's a Par 5. I dumped my second shot (5 wood) into the creek in front of the green and my partner goes back to get his 3 wood and I tell him that I didn't catch it and he should stick with his 5 wood.  So he turns a 5 wood from 235-240 to five feet. Make the putt and win by 1, it was awesome.

The shot I remember being my best was right after I pumped  my second shot into a ravine on a par 5.  I dropped another ball down and hit a one iron to an elevated green.  Got up there, looked around and didn’t see it, so I walked to the hole and there it was.  My playing partner said, “Let’s see, in the ravine in 2, out in 3...nice birdie.”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Short Bucket said:

The shot I remember being my best was right after I pumped  my second shot into a ravine on a par 5.  I dropped another ball down and hit a one iron to an elevated green.  Got up there, looked around and didn’t see it, so I walked to the hole and there it was.  My playing partner said, “Let’s see, in the ravine in 2, out in 3...nice birdie.”

Haha.  Been there myself.  Was playing in a local skins a few years back.  Par 5, had decent drive.  Was just going to layup since there's a hazard on the left that sucks balls in.  Absolutely chunked my 2nd shot about 40 yards down the fairway.  So I took my walk of shame while my buddies laughed at me.  Decided I had to go for it now.  Hit a 3 wood that took a bonus bounce off the greenside bunker mound and started rolling toward the hole.  Eagle after a chunked 2nd.  I returned the ribbing that I had received during the walk of shame.  I'd rather be lucky than good any day.

Over cooked my approach. Over the green by 10 yds. behind a line of 20-30' trees. A group on the nearby tee waited while I laid a SW wide open and took a mighty swing launching the ball almost straight up. Called to my partner to see if it had made the green and he yelled back "Yep, 10' from the hole." I'm not sure if it's my best shot ever but the group watching me applauded like I was their favorite tour player. 

InkedInkedScreenshot (49)_LI.jpg

Driver - Nike Covert VS 

3W- TaylorMade R7

7W- Hippo Final decision 21deg

Irons- 5-PW Custom fitted System 3000 Tour Hot Forged w steel shafts

Cleveland 588RTX 48deg

SW- Cleveland CG12 56deg

Putter- Ping Asner3 w std grip

One really springs to mind, hit an awful drive left behind a few big trees...had well above 200 yards left to a green that sloped left to right into water. In reality I should have chipped it out and played for a 5.....but my seve head came into effect. I went for a 3 wood low slice. I can't fade a ball, well not on purpose anyway. So to see the ball start miles left to avoid the trees slice back bounce just Infront of the green and finish middle of the green was one of those moments I felt like the great man himself. Tried that shot a few things since Messing around and never ever got the same result......was 1999 12th Grange park at Helens UK 

One that comes to mind is a very long par 3 -about 200 yards into the wind. Kidney shaped green with the days hole placed on a back center slope.   I aim a little left letting the wind take the ball a bit right.  While the Par 5 Group near the hole was watching my ball in the air -- it landed in front of the hole - one bounce and in the cup for my 10th hole in one.  3 guys that saw it had never saw a hole in one before.😃

Hit this years a few weeks ago. 

Golf Club of Houston, 5th hole, off the tips, driver about 280 off the tee, overwatered bermuda in winter so ball goes no where. Had 206 to a back right flag, hit an awful fat 5 iron short left into the back bunker. 32 yards to the flag, slightly uphill. 58 degree that barely cleared the lip it was so loaded with spin, a few skips to past the hole, spin kicked in and pulled it back about 2 feet into the hole. 

I love this game. 

My most memorable shot happened years and years ago at Superior National at Lutsen in northern Minnesota.  This happened when I was about 15 or so on what used to be a beautiful downhill Par 5 (I believe). I recently found when finding the image for this, that it has been rebuilt into two separate holes, so I can never try to replicate it from a longer tee box again.  There's a pond to the left of the landing area, you need anywhere from 230 to 300 to carry the pond depending on what tee you're hitting from.  After the pond was a substantial dropoff, where if you could land the slope, you'd roll out forever.

Assuming I played off some closer tees (I can't recall), I needed about 240 to comfortably be over the hazard (my typical drive at the time was probably 260ish).  Hit my drive dead straight (I typically hit a slice), carried just enough, hit the slope and bounced it down the hill in prime position for about a 120 yard shot  (guessing about 9i at the time for me?).  At the end it probably went about 280 or 290, which may as well have been 400 for me.  My iron shot was back of the green, good enough for my first ever birdie.  

The added bonus?  Outdrove my old man for probably the first time ever.

image.png.411d100a0a852ff43384407ffd0c5b95.png

TaylorMade Stealth+ 8°  - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black

TaylorMade SIM 2 Ti 5w 19° (set to 17°) - Diamana Limited 75 S

TaylorMade SIM UDI 2i - Diamana Thump 90 S

Ping i210 5i-UW - Dynamic Gold S300

TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 56-10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Milled Grind 60-09 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64- - Dynamic Gold Wedge

Ping Craz-e - Ping Karsten w/ Super Stroke Traxion Claw 2.0 grip

Second most memorable was the first time I ever chipped in (this one for birdie as well).  I was around the same age (about 15 or 16) at a local course.  Tough back to front, 2-level green, but I had left myself short-sided short of the green.  Ran it up and dropped in around the side of the cup.

I was fairly sure I was on my way to the Tour.  Or at least the Canadian Tour.   But alas, here I am 17 years later, still just a 16hcp.

TaylorMade Stealth+ 8°  - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black

TaylorMade SIM 2 Ti 5w 19° (set to 17°) - Diamana Limited 75 S

TaylorMade SIM UDI 2i - Diamana Thump 90 S

Ping i210 5i-UW - Dynamic Gold S300

TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 56-10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Milled Grind 60-09 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64- - Dynamic Gold Wedge

Ping Craz-e - Ping Karsten w/ Super Stroke Traxion Claw 2.0 grip

My fiancé golfs twice per year, if that. I always try to play a scramble or alternate shot with her because she's bad, and gets frustrated quickly.

One day we're playing alternate shot from the whites. Par 4. She shanky doodle's her drive. I'm talking 18" apex, total distance about 40 yards. The drive didn't quite make it to the red tees but it creeped half way up the pitcher's mound that is the red tee box and settled. So we're laying one on the back side of the red tee box with a severe upslope at address. This is a perfectly flat course, no wind, and I've got 280y to the front edge of the green, 290y to the middle, and the pin is middle right. I swung as hard as I could with my 3w. I hit the highest, straightest, most beautiful 3w shot I've ever seen. It landed on the green and rolled about 2 feet before coming to rest in the dead center of the green. Mind you my best 3 woods off the tee might get 250 on a dry day. So I turn around and say 'wow did you see that shot?". To which she replies "Yeah, I think so. I'm so pissed, I can't believe I just hit that 40y drive. So, where did your shot end up?". 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

while being furthest out, I made a 45 foot,  left to right down hill breaker for PAR..... during the 3 team tie playoff hole of our member guest. With my partner going crazy and everyone yelling.... then had to wait to see the rest of the hole play out. Opponent three putted from about 15 feet for us to take the Trophy..... temporary delayed celebration but man did that putt feel good.

Last years best shot was on the 14th hole at Lakeview Golf Course playing during the 125th anniversary celebration with one of my hickory sets. The hole is a par four. My drive was just short of a fairway bunker on the left. I hit a 110 yard Mashie-Niblick (46 degree loft) in the hole for an eagle 2.  My group was in full historical attire and several others on the course were watching, was a great feeling.