Does Brendan finally get it right?

10 minutes ago, airjammer said:

No! Unfortunately not because he has reached his limit on how good he’s going to get..that’s just the hard truth. There have been people that have been far more successful at golf than Brendon with worse golf swings. I think he knows that as well and the reason he never stays with someone or some methodology for a long time. He really believes he is very close to reaching his potential when he finds the one magical flaw that makes everything right..that’s just not how it works unfortunately. 

I feel for the guy because I see a lot of same thinking in myself and others that I have played with.  No teacher or swing model can overcome LOFT...that’s why there’s never been a 10 handicap golfer that’s been actively been playing for years all of a sudden find IT and get on the pga tour. 

Yup! A "perfect" golf swing is never going to take a long time 10 HDCP golfer to the tour, because no long time 10 HDCP can chip, pitch, putt, bunker play, or manage their game like a PGA tour pro.   Plenty of guys with great golf swings out there that can't get past mini tours, or even win local or State amateur events.  So many players fall into this failed mindset that they're just missing that "one piece" that will make them a great player.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually, he works them to create social media content.

Jumping from instructor to instructor is probably why he is not any better. 

Is it okay if I hate him personally? Like, can I respect what he's trying to do but also hope that he individually gets hit by a bus, LOL?    I'm not against making a living with YouTube but

13 minutes ago, hoganfan924 said:

Yup! A "perfect" golf swing is never going to take a long time 10 HDCP golfer to the tour, because no long time 10 HDCP can chip, pitch, putt, bunker play, or manage their game like a PGA tour pro.   Plenty of guys with great golf swings out there that can't get past mini tours, or even win local or State amateur events.  So many players fall into this failed mindset that they're just missing that "one piece" that will make them a great player.

I have never seen a 10 with a perfect swing. Most 5s and 10s are what they are for a reason, they have legit swing flaws that inherently bring inconsistency to their game. 

Legit + guys who have never found tournament success have different issues. Bronden is not one of these guys.

7 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

I have never seen a 10 with a perfect swing. Most 5s and 10s are what they are for a reason, they have legit swing flaws that inherently bring inconsistency to their game. 

Legit + guys who have never found tournament success have different issues. Bronden is not one of these guys.

That’s not what he said...he said if they did it wouldn’t care them far enough to get on tour. 

For pretty much every swing “flaw” you can find a tour player that has succeeded in spite of it

18 minutes ago, airjammer said:

That’s not what he said...he said if they did it wouldn’t care them far enough to get on tour. 

For pretty much every swing “flaw” you can find a tour player that has succeeded in spite of it

But the fact is they simply do not have perfect swings, its far from it. Your average 5 to 10 is never going to get to scratch or better with grinding and short game, most have mechanical issues that need to be resolved if they want to get considerably better.

The comparison to tour players with similar flaws just doesn't pass muster. Typically the order of magnitude of the flaw is much less and your avg am simply doesn't have the time or talent to overcome the flaws. Brunden is in this bucket, he had a few common flaws that he never buckled down to address and instead jumped from instructor to instructor in search for lightning in the bottle.

22 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

But the fact is they simply do not have perfect swings, its far from it. Your average 5 to 10 is never going to get to scratch or better with grinding and short game, most have mechanical issues that need to be resolved if they want to get considerably better.

The comparison to tour players with similar flaws just doesn't pass muster. Typically the order of magnitude of the flaw is much less and your avg am simply doesn't have the time or talent to overcome the flaws. Brunden is in this bucket, he had a few common flaws that he never buckled down to address and instead jumped from instructor to instructor in search for lightning in the bottle.

You missed the point.  Take a typical 10 HDCP player.  Wave your magic wand and give him a perfect golf swing.  He probably gets to no better than about a +2, because the typical 10 HDCP doesn't have anywhere near the other elements it takes to become a PGA tour pro.

6 minutes ago, hoganfan924 said:

You missed the point.  Take a typical 10 HDCP player.  Wave your magic wand and give him a perfect golf swing.  He probably gets to no better than about a +2, because the typical 10 HDCP doesn't have anywhere near the other elements it takes to become a PGA tour pro.

It's because it is not a point at all, its a magical scenario that doesn't exist. The BBG channel and it's followers have nothing to do with touring pro level golf. 

3 hours ago, Krt22 said:

Have you been hanging out with Zitlow?

Naw. I've been hanging around with men, women and senior tour pros in the US, Europe and Asia. How about you?

Ever cashed a check playing? Ever helped a major tour winner win? I'm sure you have. Ever traveled the world by invitation to make presentations to teaching pros in South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, all over the US, Singapore, The Philippines and China with some of the most famous people in golf?

Who have you been hanging out with?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Soloman1 said:

Naw. I've been hanging around with men, women and senior tour pros in the US, Europe and Asia. How about you?

Ever cashed a check playing? Ever helped a major tour winner win? I'm sure you have. Ever traveled the world by invitation to make presentations to teaching pros in South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, all over the US, Singapore, The Philippines and China with some of the most famous people in golf?

Who have you been hanging out with?

Lulz. Sure thing bud. 

I've just looked this guy up on Youtube and he joined in 2006, so after seeing multiple instructors and god knows how many lessons its took him 15 years to sort his backswing out? 

Think i'll give him a miss

Driver: :taylormade-small: Sim2 MAX 9*

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Sim Max 15*

Hybrid:     :ping-small: G 19*

Hybrid Irons: :adams-small:  Pro DHY 21 & 24*

Irons:       :ping-small: i500 6-PW

Gap Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 3 50*

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe Raw 54 & 58*

Putter:  :odyssey-small:  O-Works 7

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, MelloYello said:

Is it okay if I hate him personally? Like, can I respect what he's trying to do but also hope that he individually gets hit by a bus, LOL? 

I'm not against making a living with YouTube but in a world where some creators are just amazing people, this troll seems very much like a narcissistic tool; a little bit of ego mixed in with frat bro DB-ery. The phrase "punchable face" seems apropos. 

90k subs is impressive, but he seems like an airhead moron to me. I couldn't listen to this guy ramble on for more than 2 minutes and even then his channel seems tragically limited by his horrible personality. 

Oh well, you asked!

Duplicate

Edited by YouDaHamHider
9 hours ago, MelloYello said:

Is it okay if I hate him personally? Like, can I respect what he's trying to do but also hope that he individually gets hit by a bus, LOL? 

I'm not against making a living with YouTube but in a world where some creators are just amazing people, this troll seems very much like a narcissistic tool; a little bit of ego mixed in with frat bro DB-ery. The phrase "punchable face" seems apropos. 

90k subs is impressive, but he seems like an airhead moron to me. I couldn't listen to this guy ramble on for more than 2 minutes and even then his channel seems tragically limited by his horrible personality. 

Oh well, you asked!

Haha. I've never met the guy so I've no idea if he's a DB. To be honest I rarely even notice him in the content which is what I like about it. It's all about the instruction. Deckchair chats with Monte for example, lots of great nuggets of free information within that series. Brendan is a side-show. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, MelloYello said:

Oh well, you asked!

Lol.  Agree. I had never heard of the guy.  Just tried to watch and 30 seconds in I’m full up to the top.  Lol  he’s already complaining of an “ ouchie “ etc.   

I haven’t watched this at all and it’s easy to tell that he’s like one of those “ car guys “ experts on YouTube that I wouldn’t let rotate my tires for fear  they’d strip all the lugs with an air gun.  And yet they have 200k “ followers “.  A that tells me is how many people there are that know less than he does.  🤦‍♂️.  Sad thing it is. 

his easiest path to good improvement would be to stop getting lessons , quit YouTube and find a direction the balls flying and learn to play it.  Then after that , find one instructor to help repair the flaws.   

• Haha 1

Titleist tsi2 9*  Accra RPG gold 462 M5 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

TM Sim tour 19*  Aldila proto 95TX  

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125TX 

Vokey sm7 50 54 58 MCI 125 mild  

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

He can be a little grating at times but I am grateful for the content as it introduced me to some interesting concepts.

Even though he can be a little cringe with his instructors, I do appreciate someone so devoted to the game and sincerely trying hard to improve.  I gather his personality probably leads to self-sabotage.  

Also a good reminder that "golf is hard" physically and mentally.

7 hours ago, hoganfan924 said:

+2 is worlds different than a 5. He could get a lot better if he wanted to. 

• Like 1

He can be a little annoying at times, but I like the format and think it's pretty unique among online instruction videos.

It's very clear that several of the top online instructors are watching the others and taking ideas from them to build content. You'll often see the same feel or drill pop up across several channels at once. Different channels are going to appeal to different viewers and that's fine. I don't consider it "stealing" or anything like that, but it's redundant content. 

With Brendan's channel you see a relatively skilled and intellectually curious golfer taking a lesson from a great instructor. I assume a lot of the questions he asks are designed to take the conversation in a certain direction. I don't mind that. I like hearing the things that good instructors say during a lesson. I assume it helps the instructors grow their online followings and most of them need ways to do that.

It's a smart approach and there's nothing lazy about it IMO. It would be far easier for him to set up a camera at home and create his own content like so many others do, but then the channel would be a lot less unique and valuable. 

He's built a nice audience and I think he's helping to promote some really credible voices in instruction that aren't tied to Golf Digest or Top 100 players. Monte was pretty well set up before, but I see more videos from Malaska, Tony Luzak, Milo Lines etc. on their own channels, don't think that's a bad thing. Maybe he's getting a fee on the back end to do it, but I like seeing that information out there, and it seems like it helps these instructors. 

Full caveat, I'm not Brendon, my backswing is way better than that. 

• Like 2

TSi3
Mavrik SZ

PXG 0341 21*
MP20 MMC 4 Iron
MP20 MB 5-W
Raw Callaway 52*

SM8 56* F

SM8 60* T
Special Select Newport 2

3 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Lol.  Agree. I had never heard of the guy.  Just tried to watch and 30 seconds in I’m full up to the top.  Lol  he’s already complaining of an “ ouchie “ etc.   

I haven’t watched this at all and it’s easy to tell that he’s like one of those “ car guys “ experts on YouTube that I wouldn’t let rotate my tires for fear  they’d strip all the lugs with an air gun.  And yet they have 200k “ followers “.  A that tells me is how many people there are that know less than he does.  🤦‍♂️.  Sad thing it is. 

his easiest path to good improvement would be to stop getting lessons , quit YouTube and find a direction the balls flying and learn to play it.  Then after that , find one instructor to help repair the flaws.   

I think the majority of his quality videos are of him going to different instructors such as Monte, Malaska, etc., and getting a lesson from them. It's a good way to hear and watch how other instructors approach a lesson. 

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, scopek said:

I think the majority of his quality videos are of him going to different instructors such as Monte, Malaska, etc., and getting a lesson from them. It's a good way to hear and watch how other instructors approach a lesson. 

On one plane I get that. But.  Doesn’t that make it dishonest in a way on another plane ?   As in are you reallly looking to get better if you’re playing instructor hop scotch ? Do these instructors know the game is afoot ?  If so that changes how the instructor would act , no?

anywho. I’ll see myself out.  I may watch more for entertainment later.  It’s most likely just a personality clash , he h as The Whole “ valley girl “ thing going.  Being from the east coast that chafes sometimes.  Lol . Which isn’t his fault or problem. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

Titleist tsi2 9*  Accra RPG gold 462 M5 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

TM Sim tour 19*  Aldila proto 95TX  

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125TX 

Vokey sm7 50 54 58 MCI 125 mild  

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

4 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

On one plane I get that. But.  Doesn’t that make it dishonest in a way on another plane ?   As in are you reallly looking to get better if you’re playing instructor hop scotch ? Do these instructors know the game is afoot ?  If so that changes how the instructor would act , no?

I suppose that would influence what they say and do. I think Brandon's purpose is to put out content as he probably makes money from his YouTube site. I'm not going to listen per se directly from Brandon, but I've enjoyed watching some of his videos to learn about different instructors. His videos with Monte are interesting to watch. 

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

anywho. I’ll see myself out.  I may watch more for entertainment later.  It’s most likely just a personality clash , he h as The Whole “ valley girl “ thing going.  Being from the east coast that chafes sometimes.  Lol . Which isn’t his fault or problem. 

Total valley girl!

You nailed it, LOL.

• Haha 1

SIM Dr (10.5o) (Tensei Pro Orange 60TX)
SIM 3w (17o) (Tensei Pro White 60TX)

M6 7w (21o) (Diamana Blue 70S)

z785 (4-Pw) (Modus3 Tour120)
SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
Newport 2 Select

18 hours ago, dvq9654 said:

I have nothing against the guy and do find some of his videos informative, but I always ask myself how he is not better given how many quality instructors he is working with and how much golf he plays. That may just be part of his schtick to make more content, but I'd like to think any semi-athletic person could get to scratch with years of lessons and effort. Based on the intro to that video, he's a 5 at best, which I find a bit surprising. 

You'd be surprised how many athletic people aren't scratch.  Sir Charles was very athletic back in the day, yet he hasn't even come close to being scratch.  That's just one example.  I myself having played baseball and being on my college golf team consider myself somewhat athletic.  Been as low as 2 now a 5.  Getting down to scratch entails having a really good short game which a lot of "athletes" don't have.  On tour, what separates the best from the average is short game first, then distance IMO. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

You'd be surprised how many athletic people aren't scratch.  Sir Charles was very athletic back in the day, yet he hasn't even come close to being scratch.  That's just one example.  I myself having played baseball and being on my college golf team consider myself somewhat athletic.  Been as low as 2 now a 5.  Getting down to scratch entails having a really good short game which a lot of "athletes" don't have.  On tour, what separates the best from the average is short game first, then distance IMO. 

Essentially completely wrong. 

Getting to scratch requires hitting the ball decently. Nothing else. What separates the best tour players are driving distance, approach game and putting ability. Scrambling is less important. 

Edited by pinhigh27
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, pinhigh27 said:

Essentially completely wrong. 

Getting to scratch requires hitting the ball decently. Nothing else. What separates the best tour players are driving distance and putting ability. 

Re-read my post.  I mentioned short game.  I have a buddy who's +4 cap.  So he's better than scratch.  He can beat the pants off many scratch levels golfer.  He's been to Q-School several times and for a couple years played on the mini tours.  Straight from the horses mouth.  The ony thing he lacks is distance.  Getting to scratch only requires decent ball striking?  Really?  What about the guy who can hit the ball 300+yards can get lots of GIR but his putting and short game suck so bad?  Yeah, he's not a scratch.  Btw, I remember you from the other thread.  😉

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1