Does Brendan finally get it right?

1 minute ago, phizzy30 said:

Re-read my post.  I mentioned short game.  I have a buddy who's +4 cap.  So he's better than scratch.  He can beat the pants off many scratch levels golfer.  He's been to Q-School several times and for a couple years played on the mini tours.  Straight from the horses mouth.  The ony thing he lacks is distance.  Getting to scratch only requires decent ball striking?  Really?  What about the guy who can hit the ball 300+yards can get lots of GIR but his putting and short game suck so bad?  Yeah, he's not a scratch.  Btw, I remember you from the other thread.  😉

Well if they're hitting it 300 and lots of GIR then they don't really need much of a short game. If you hit 14 greens you only have to chip 4 times per round at most. So if you make a couple birdies on par 5s or a random par 4 and bogey every time you miss a green, you can be scratch pretty easily. 

Unless they are the mythical golfwrx, 300 driving, 14 GIR, 6 3 putt per round 5 handicap. 

If you can hit it 300 and lots of greens you can figure out how to not chip it terribly or lag a putt. The reverse is not always true, hence why it's a more desirable and success defining skill. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, pinhigh27 said:

Well if they're hitting it 300 and lots of GIR then they don't really need much of a short game. If you hit 14 greens you only have to chip 4 times per round at most. So if you make a couple birdies on par 5s or a random par 4 and bogey every time you miss a green, you can be scratch pretty easily. 

Unless they are the mythical golfwrx, 300 driving, 14 GIR, 6 3 putt per round 5 handicap. 

If you can hit it 300 and lots of greens you can figure out how to not chip it terribly or lag a putt. The reverse is not always true, hence why it's a more desirable and success defining skill. 

Indeed. I play with a mix of +, scratchish, and 5-10s every week and the most obvious difference is how well they hit the ball. The + guys do everything well period, they hit it longer, straighter, and far more consistently. I have yet to encounter the mythical golfer that is hitting it side by side with the + guy and blowing up around the greens. Sure maybe one hole they will have a similar drive and maybe one hole they will have a similar length birdie putt, but if you look at every single hole as an average it just isn't close. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 5/10/2021 at 8:27 PM, hoganfan924 said:

Yup! A "perfect" golf swing is never going to take a long time 10 HDCP golfer to the tour, because no long time 10 HDCP can chip, pitch, putt, bunker play, or manage their game like a PGA tour pro.   Plenty of guys with great golf swings out there that can't get past mini tours, or even win local or State amateur events.  So many players fall into this failed mindset that they're just missing that "one piece" that will make them a great player.

On 5/10/2021 at 2:09 PM, dvq9654 said:

I have nothing against the guy and do find some of his videos informative, but I always ask myself how he is not better given how many quality instructors he is working with and how much golf he plays. That may just be part of his schtick to make more content, but I'd like to think any semi-athletic person could get to scratch with years of lessons and effort. Based on the intro to that video, he's a 5 at best, which I find a bit surprising. 

He's not quite as annoying as Christo "Mr. Hogan" Garcia but the reason he isn't any good at golf and never will be is that he is a terrible listener. Often times he takes what the instructor says and doesn't actually pay attention but adds some random stuff he heard about. He is always staring around the range as well, etc. He has the attention span of a two-year-old so that is part of the problem as well. He is a SoCal guy and he has that type of stereotyped lack of focus ala Fast Times Spicoli. So, I'm not surprised he isn't any good. I think mostly he just uses the channel as a side hustle idea and really doesn't give two sh*ts about it to be honest. Most likely a failed Hollywood type either in production or acting, etc. Seems to fit the profile.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Mini Driver 11.5

Callaway Epic 3 wood

Sub 70 5 wood

Titleist U510 22*

Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 5-PW

Mizuno S18 Wedges

Ping Kinloch C Putter

15 hours ago, Starched said:

He's not quite as annoying as Christo "Mr. Hogan" Garcia but the reason he isn't any good at golf and never will be is that he is a terrible listener. Often times he takes what the instructor says and doesn't actually pay attention but adds some random stuff he heard about. He is always staring around the range as well, etc. He has the attention span of a two-year-old so that is part of the problem as well. He is a SoCal guy and he has that type of stereotyped lack of focus ala Fast Times Spicoli. So, I'm not surprised he isn't any good. I think mostly he just uses the channel as a side hustle idea and really doesn't give two sh*ts about it to be honest. Most likely a failed Hollywood type either in production or acting, etc. Seems to fit the profile.

There is an alternate view that I am slightly leaning towards. He’s actually way more astute than we give him credit for and if he got that much better, he would be unrelatable for 90% of his target audience. By never getting beyond the appearance of good-average he can keep the train rolling until there’s nobody left to make content with. 

His target audience jump from swing guru to guru and from fix-it fad to the next like they change their socks. They’re always searching for a killer swing thought to solve their cascade effect of compensations from e.g. poor set-up or takeaway. They are utterly unfocused and not prepared to grind out improving from step 1 onwards. They want to introduce a magic move at step 6 so steps 1-5 don’t matter. 

He reminds me of a pool hustler who can make playing/swinging junk look natural and then turn it on at will. Fair play if he can do it as being able to demonstrate bad form is way harder than it sounds if you have ingrained good form. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/10/2021 at 1:46 PM, rondo01 said:

This. I don’t get the Brendan hate. Guy puts himself out there and the content is fine. Would be a shame if he deleted all those videos and closed up shop or something. I’d rather see him bouncing from instructor to instructor than a pro hawking “EFFORTLESS SWING YOU NEED THIS” for the millionth time.

Bit late to the thread, but Brendan is one of the few guys who actually gets it.  

For some, golf isn't about handicap or score, its about FIGURING OUT HOW TO TURN THE THING THAT YOU LOVE INTO A VIABLE ENOUGH BUSINESS THAT YOU LEGALLY WRITE OFF LESSONS, CAMERAS, CLUBS, GOLF TRIPS, etc. - and maybe get better, turn a profit doing it.  😄

Seriously, I'm not the biggest fan of Brendan himself, but I have extreme admiration for what he's done, and appreciation for his introducing me to so much great content.

• Like 2

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

so much hate for someone doing what they love and being successful 

• Like 1

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

41 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

Bit late to the thread, but Brendan is one of the few guys who actually gets it.  

For some, golf isn't about handicap or score, its about FIGURING OUT HOW TO TURN THE THING THAT YOU LOVE INTO A VIABLE ENOUGH BUSINESS THAT YOU LEGALLY WRITE OFF LESSONS, CAMERAS, CLUBS, GOLF TRIPS, etc. - and maybe get better, turn a profit doing it.  😄

Seriously, I'm not the biggest fan of Brendan himself, but I have extreme admiration for what he's done, and appreciation for his introducing me to so much great content.

Yes, this is what really bothers people about him I think. He’s not a polished interviewer and can be distracted at times but that doesn’t bother me too much. He has a great channel. Probably the best in existence. 

39 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

Yes, this is what really bothers people about him I think. He’s not a polished interviewer and can be distracted at times but that doesn’t bother me too much. He has a great channel. Probably the best in existence. 

Love his channel because of all the different ideas and instructors it’s exposed me to. I think the distractedness has more to do with him being a one man band with multiple cameras and lav mics. That’s hard enough to do on your own and make sure everything’s running and recording. He’s also onscreen talent which makes it doubly difficult. I’d love to his content some day when he doesn’t have to worry about the technical side of producing the content and can just worry about the content itself. 

Edited by RobertBaron

I like the fact that he exposes people to many, many different teachers and philosophies.

I have a hard time with the fact that he can be very socially awkward, often interrupts the instructor, and once he thinks he understands a concept, tries to explain it to the audience instead of just letting the instructor do the talking.

If he polished his presentation/personality and changed the channel description to something along the lines of 'exploring golf instruction' he'd have far more subs.

I watch from time to time if it's an instructor or philosophy I am interested in, but when he starts the lengthy expositions, I fast forward.

Congrats to him for making a decent amount of cash in a golf side hustle and having the ability to get in with some great instructors.

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

On 5/10/2021 at 4:46 PM, rondo01 said:

This. I don’t get the Brendan hate. Guy puts himself out there and the content is fine. Would be a shame if he deleted all those videos and closed up shop or something. I’d rather see him bouncing from instructor to instructor than a pro hawking “EFFORTLESS SWING YOU NEED THIS” for the millionth time.

I don't hate him anymore, he's gotten better. Early on he talked too much, interrupting the instructors , maybe in an attempt to look knowledgeable. Watch his early vid with Monte. He ruins it imo. I can just watch a Monte vid without the interruption. But it's pretty cool how he's gotten so many top name instructors to do videos with him from Malaska and Monte to guys like AJ Boner and the  McCrary guy ( "Hit as straight as you can point!"

On 5/10/2021 at 5:00 PM, Krt22 said:

I would say the way in which Branden creates content is largely in direct conflict with the moniker of the show "be better golf".  Do you think he has actually gotten any better? Better enough to actually help other golfers?

It's a business for him. If he sticks with one guy and gets better the money machine is gone. Kind of like Golf Test Dummy who constantly tries new , and usually alternative swings. He  finds one he loves but still moves on  to keep the money flowing. 

21 hours ago, garyt said:

I don't hate him anymore, he's gotten better. Early on he talked too much, interrupting the instructors , maybe in an attempt to look knowledgeable. Watch his early vid with Monte. He ruins it imo. I can just watch a Monte vid without the interruption. But it's pretty cool how he's gotten so many top name instructors to do videos with him from Malaska and Monte to guys like AJ Boner and the  McCrary guy ( "Hit as straight as you can point!"

When did he do anything with Dalton?

I found the info he put out with Tim Yelverton about short game helpful.  Probably would not have found out about Tim without Brendon's channel.

Doesn't he also coach a local college team also?  Or did at one time.

I am kinda jealous, I like what he does -those that don't, I guess that's why there are 31 flavors.  But then again I can relate on a number of issues with him here.  I have the same five year old's attention span someone spoke of. (though in my sales it is helpful at times!)   And I'm always chasing the next shiny new golf swing object.  Which always makes me wake up and realize it's not working and I put my tail between my legs and feebly return to the teachings of Mr. Scheinblum. 

But credit for making things work and how he has helped some folks.

I only remember when he and that other golf youtuber (Christo I think his name is?) had a match on youtube a few years back and shot 46 for nine holes or something and duffed it around for an hour. Definitely not relying on that expertise to learn anything about a golf swing. Maybe some find their personalities entertaining and that is completely fine.

I also stopped watching when I noticed he would cut off all these revered and well respected experts during his 'interview' format.

I do not wish ill will on Brandon at all but his success will be without my clicks haha. 

1 hour ago, flatnstuck said:

They really don’t. Milo teaches something a lot closer to Gankas than Malaska.

Not really IMHO. Milo is teaching what a lot of people are teaching right now, which includes some linear elements for the proper pressure shift. Gankas is pretty clear that he doesn't think you need this linear element.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krt22 said:

Not really IMHO. Milo is teaching what a lot of people are teaching right now, which includes some linear elements for the proper pressure shift. Gankas is pretty clear that he doesn't think you need this linear element.

Yeah ok. I can see Milo emphasizing the kind of body motion that Malaska mocks for hurting your back. 

I don’t care either way. But I did see Lines tell Brenden that the motion Malaska teaches feels unathletic to him. That plus his obvious body driven motion makes the two very far apart in style even though they agree on some points. 

Just now, flatnstuck said:

Yeah ok. I can see Milo emphasizing the kind of body motion that Malaska mocks for hurting your back. 

I don’t care either way. But I did see Lines tell Brenden that the motion Malaska teaches feels unathletic to him. That plus his obvious body driven motion makes the two very far apart in style even though they agree on some points. 

I have honestly never taken the time to listen to Malaska, his style of teaching simply doesn't work with me. I'm just saying Milo and Gankas have a distinct difference and the pattern Milo teaches isn't dramatically different than what numerous other popular instructors teach.

27 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

I have honestly never taken the time to listen to Malaska, his style of teaching simply doesn't work with me. I'm just saying Milo and Gankas have a distinct difference and the pattern Milo teaches isn't dramatically different than what numerous other popular instructors teach.

I actually agree with Milo in that the Malaska move feels unathletic to me. I do love his straight line forces stuff and free swing clubhead, but he’s very much in the mold of Jim Flick whereas Milo teaches something more akin to the California move. 

Golf is a game of what works. Beyond basic grip and setup I don’t think the two have a lot of crossover on their teachings styles as they currently are. 

On 4/19/2022 at 12:22 PM, flatnstuck said:

Milo Lines appeared in a few of Malaska's videos a few years ago, promoting Malaska's "move" or transition sequence and was critical of folks who don't grasp the concept.  Then they were on the same staff at the same golf club according to the video. Which is to say, I found his public, strident criticism of Malaska (which you have referenced) to be rather odd and puzzling and an apparent walk back from swing styleshe held and broadcasted just a few years earlier. Anyway, I tune out when I hear Lines speak -- personal preference--for several reasons. Monte and Malaska are most helpful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, writing running said:

Milo Lines appeared in a few of Malaska's videos a few years ago, promoting Malaska's "move" or transition sequence and was critical of folks who don't grasp the concept.  Then they were on the same staff at the same golf club according to the video. Which is to say, I found his public, strident criticism of Malaska (which you have referenced) to be rather odd and puzzling and an apparent walk back from swing styleshe held and broadcasted just a few years earlier. Anyway, I tune out when I hear Lines speak -- personal preference--for several reasons. Monte and Malaska are most helpful. 

I think Milo was teaching under Malaska and branched out to do his own thing. Could be wrong. 

It is interesting to see two people from strong baseball backgrounds have such different takes on the swing. 

Edited by flatnstuck

4 minutes ago, flatnstuck said:

I think Milo was teaching under Malaska and branched out to do his own thing. Could be wrong. 

There was a video a while back Milo did with Malaska where Milo said when he taught his players the Malaska move they just stayed square and made an arm swing. I believe it was the last video he did with Malaska 😂