Best 2 courses in Pawley's Island?

EastTNGolfer

Going to Pawley's Island end of August, actually staying in a condo on Pawley's Plantation course. MY golf partner picked 2 kinda out of the way courses with TPC Myrtle and World Tour course. Which 2 are the best in Pawley's Island? Tempted to just do True Blue and Caledonia, but are there any you would sub for one of those instead?

Ping G400 Max @9.9* (Alta CB 55 Stiff)

Titleist TSi2 4 wood @16.5* (Tensei AV Blue RAW 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 7 wood @19.5(Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 4 Hybrid @23* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Ping G410 5 Hybrid @26* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Srixon ZX5 6-AW (Nippon Modus 105 Stiff)

Callaway MD5 Tour Grey W-Grind 54* & X-Grind 58*  (DG S200)

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Arm Lock Putter (Odyssey Armlock Steel 40")

Srixon Z-Star

JMX XS Ultralite Grips

True Blue and Caledonia are the best. Next best two would be TPC Myrtle, Pawleys Plantation, and Heritage. I would never play Heritage again. Last time I played there it took 5.5 hours to play. 

• Like 2

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I live in PI.  Here is my ranking order:

1. Heritage (only problem - 5 hour round is the norm)

2. True Blue

3. Caledonia

4. Pawleys Plantation

5. Tradition

6. Willbrook

7. Litchfield (I play here quite frequently as I can get on easily in the afternoon and play in 2.75 - 3.5 hours.  It is a very fair test of golf too.) 

8. River Club

I walk all of these courses except for Tradition which has some long treks between holes such as from 9 to 10 but, that may change after my motorized "push cart arrives!"

• Like 4

I am saying Caledonia, TB, TPC and Pawley's.

• Like 1

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

2 hours ago, Drwoods2017 said:

Yeah I'd sub out World Tour as well.  Just not as nice as it used to be and the replicas are not that great.  TB and Caledonia are the way to go.

I would agree with that too.  I thought World Tour was worth playing once if you can get a good deal.  The first hole is neat as is the island green, but I really don't remember many holes other than that.

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

6 minutes ago, CactusGolf said:

I would agree with that too.  I thought World Tour was worth playing once if you can get a good deal.  The first hole is neat as is the island green, but I really don't remember many holes other than that.

When it first opened it was a lot better but like a lot of courses in myrtle its fallen off a bit.  As far a replicas go it just doesn't cut it other than a few holes.  They use to have 27 I believe but now its only 18.

• Like 1

The designer of World Tour got too concerned with having holes 
from famous courses around the world, but the only holes most 
golfers can relate to are the holes from Augusta, TPC Sawgrass #17 
and St Andrews, holes we see on TV every year.   

The holes that are on TV once every 10-15 years are too unknown 
to most and some may no longer be in Tour/Major rotation.   

The third 9 is still closed, but not developed yet.           

• Like 1

I’ve played almost every course in that area..75+ courses and i have to agree with everyone above, swap out World Tour.  It’s cool to play once, but not in the same ballpark as Caledonia & True Blue.  Those are the 2 best courses in that area.  Top 3 are True Blue/Caledonia/Heritage, in whichever order u prefer.  But World Tour not worth it.   And World Tour more of a drive anyway

On 5/11/2021 at 9:18 AM, dcbogeyman said:

I live in PI.  Here is my ranking order:

1. Heritage (only problem - 5 hour round is the norm)

2. True Blue

3. Caledonia

4. Pawleys Plantation

5. Tradition

6. Willbrook

7. Litchfield (I play here quite frequently as I can get on easily in the afternoon and play in 2.75 - 3.5 hours.  It is a very fair test of golf too.) 

8. River Club

I walk all of these courses except for Tradition which has some long treks between holes such as from 9 to 10 but, that may change after my motorized "push cart arrives!"

And this list is about as solid an order as ive seen.  I agree completely, but id swap True Blue with Heritage.  But thats nitpicking.   River Club is a sneaky good course. Always my afternoon fav.  Always got out without many people bothering ya.   

• 2 weeks later...

I just can't put Heritage in the top 5 just because of the slow play when we were there.  I think we finally teed off about 25 minutes after our tee time and finished in 5.5 hours.  That's just really bad management and set the tone for the whole round.  I do remember enjoying the course but will never go back.   

For me it's

1. True Blue

2. Caledonia

3. Pawley's Plantation

Pawley's wasn't in the same shape and the first 2 but I had a blast on the back nine there with the wind howling.  The 2 tee boxes on the strip going out into the marsh to the par 3s were a shot selection nightmare.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

1. Caledonia

2. True Blue

3. Pawley's Plantation

4. Heritage

5. TPC MB 

I would just play those and not waste the time anywhere else. Caledonia has to be ranked 1 but I really liked True Blue. Wide open fairways and massive greens was a fun round. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

I just got back from MB, all three courses double teed but POP was about 4 to 4.5 hours. Only one tried to overbook the back nine but after a few slow holes it sped up again.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I'm going down in August and I was there that time last year and played True Blue and River Club. I can't wait to get back out on True Blue as I love Strantz courses (and True Blue seems a bit wider off the tee than any of the other courses in the area) and I am skipping River Club, which was fine but not memorable. Will be playing Caledonia and Willbrook in conjunction with True Blue. I looked at all the courses in the area on Google earth and some just look waaaaaay too narrow to be fun (I'm looking at you Tradition!), like I would be hitting Hybrid all day just to stay in play. 

True Blue's test, to me, is in the approach shots as there are almost always waste bunkers framing the greens (and really framing everything else, there are so many waste bunkers but in a good way!). Strantz also loves a shortish, dramatic par 3 with a wide but shallow green and there are several on offer at TB. Just a very fun golf course with some bold designs and, to me, a great closing stretch with 16-17-18 with water very much in play on each hole. Not as outlandish as Tobacco Road (which I also love) but still having a ton of memorable holes and some great par 5s (with #15 probably being the weakest and #10 probably being my favorite). 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I am headed to Pawley's next week with the family which is (a) the hottest time of year there and (b) the maintenance window for TB and Caledonia. Even so, I am dancing around the maintenance window and playing TB on 8/11 (second time playing out there), Willbrook on 8/12 (first time) and Caledonia on 8/13 (first time). Excited and hoping that if any of the rounds get rained out it is Willbrook. The greens at TB and Caledonia might be a little off due to getting punched but I'm really out there to try hit approach shots anyways. Never really get excited about putting, hahaha.

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

On 8/2/2021 at 1:27 PM, blackbdmillsaps said:

I am headed to Pawley's next week with the family which is (a) the hottest time of year there and (b) the maintenance window for TB and Caledonia. Even so, I am dancing around the maintenance window and playing TB on 8/11 (second time playing out there), Willbrook on 8/12 (first time) and Caledonia on 8/13 (first time). Excited and hoping that if any of the rounds get rained out it is Willbrook. The greens at TB and Caledonia might be a little off due to getting punched but I'm really out there to try hit approach shots anyways. Never really get excited about putting, hahaha.

TB and Caledonia punched in June and early July. You should be good.

I think Caledonia pushes again in late August but could be wrong.

• Like 1

Ended up with TB, Caledonia, TPC, and Kings North at MB National. Heading down in a couple weeks, hoping the weather is nice.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max @9.9* (Alta CB 55 Stiff)

Titleist TSi2 4 wood @16.5* (Tensei AV Blue RAW 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 7 wood @19.5(Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 4 Hybrid @23* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Ping G410 5 Hybrid @26* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Srixon ZX5 6-AW (Nippon Modus 105 Stiff)

Callaway MD5 Tour Grey W-Grind 54* & X-Grind 58*  (DG S200)

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Arm Lock Putter (Odyssey Armlock Steel 40")

Srixon Z-Star

JMX XS Ultralite Grips

After playing Caledonia I have to say it is one of the best looking courses I have ever played. Blends seamlessly into the surrounding landscape, almost like it belongs there. The hanging moss as you drive in sets the tone and beautiful landscaping throughout. It is truly an impressive site. Both it and True Blue are great great golf courses.

However, if I had 10 rounds to play between Caledonia and True Blue I think I would play TB 7 out of 10 rounds. For me, TB is more fun in that it is more open off the tee and has more variety in design of the holes. TB has more Strantz touches than Caledonia and I find I can remember every single hole at TB whereas a number of the holes at Caledonia run together. Finally, Caledonia is a small ballpark and really tight in some places off the tee. If I was a scratch HDCP with a really accurate driver I would probably love it but as it is I am a mid single HDCP with a loose driver so I was hitting hybrids and 3Ws all day off the tee to stay in play. The only hole I hit driver on was the par 5 #8. 

Not saying one course is better than the other because it depends on what you want as golfer. I just found TB to be more fun and playable than Caledonia but Caledonia is just a majestic site that I would love to come back and walk when it isn't 90 degrees with an insane amount of humidity. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I agree 100%.  Caledonia is much more beautiful than True Blue.  But I enjoy TB so much more, the closing stretch of 16-18 is the best of any of his courses, where Caledonia has a really fun 18th (especially if there is a large group of people at the clubhouse wagering on who leaves the approach in the water).  I'd be a similar 7 out of 10 at TB, but no way I could pick just one knowing the other was right across the road

• Like 1

I am terrible at getting pictures that capture the beauty of a course but here are a few from Caledonia:

Par 3 11th - 

image.png.181465ea3039cd6c7ae55b6daf67521e.png

The approach shot into the treacherous green at the 13th - 

image.png.4877fb73cb112c6b931e54a3b960cd73.png

The obligatory approach shot into 18th with the clubhouse in the background (I hit the right side of the green and spun off into the water because of course I went directly at the back right flag off a sidehill downhill lie 🙂 ) - 

image.png.2087c616f744952b2ace2b5321f541e0.png

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a trip scheduled for the end of September as our first time in the area.  Currently have a day of 36 (Caledonia and TB) and then the next day at Pawley Plantation.  Any recommendations to cancel Pawley and play Caledonia again?  I am on the fence between playing more (new) courses versus playing what many might consider the best course twice.    

22 minutes ago, sodak77 said:

I have a trip scheduled for the end of September as our first time in the area.  Currently have a day of 36 (Caledonia and TB) and then the next day at Pawley Plantation.  Any recommendations to cancel Pawley and play Caledonia again?  I am on the fence between playing more (new) courses versus playing what many might consider the best course twice.    

Cal + TB will be a great 36 holes.  Cal only has a chipping green + putting green.
If you want a range before play, use the TB range.  

Its up to you if you like repeating a course to maybe shoot a better score or add 
variety.  Pawleys Plant is half the price of Cal.  A better option than Pawleys is 
Heritage or TPC.    

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2021 at 10:42 PM, sodak77 said:

I'd scrap Pawleys and go with Prestwick, TPC, or Arrowhead for your second day. Any of the three is better than Pawleys. Prestwick is, IMO, the best value in the area. 100% top tier course (top 5 on most lists) at a mid tier price. Arrowhead is the same, just a hair behind Prestwick. Heritage is a great course, but it tends to be a long round (5+ hours).

Edited by SecondandGoal