Am I leaving anything on the table keeping r7tp irons?

deadeye ruck

I've started back playing regularly after a 6-7 year hiatus of only playing a couple of rounds a year. I'm in the process of updating my bag.  I'm still gaming a set of TM r7tp irons with tt black gold shafts.  I hit these high and have found them be a good fit for my game, so much so that I'm hesitant to switch.  Prior to that I played a set of Mizuno mp-30s which were practically blades.   

I don't work the ball much unless absolutely necessary and I find the r7tps difficult to shape more than a few yards either way anyway.  I'm far more concerned with accuracy of my irons vs distancen so I'm always looking for more forgiveness. I've always been a good iron player and generally struggle off the tee.  I'm looking at something like a set of t100s, t200 or p790.  What will I see if I switch compared to what I'm gaming now.  Is it even worth the ~$1200 investment for the gain over what I've got? 

Thanks in advance! 

If you like them and they work for you, rock on. But if you are just looking for something shiny, the players distance or "power blade" might be what you need. A little forgiven without being huge or clunky.

<edit> of the ones you listed, I dig the p790. But don't expect a huge improvement, but it might give you more options.

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I personally wouldn't update at this point until I was getting more games in.  Maybe go for a fit at the end of the season when you have a swing grooved and see the differences.  Loved the black gold shafts and keep eyeing sets on the bay.

Edited by PEI_Golfer
  • Like 1

A Revolving Door

Oh wow... that is the first set of irons I purchased! There’s gotta be no grooves left?!

You want something modern? Just cross out the number on the bottom of your iron and sharpie in one # lower. Voila... profit! 🤣

Joking aside, they don’t feel all that great IIRC. And maybe the forgiveness department have improved a bit with the modern stuff. 

• Like 1

I just bought a like new set of mizuno mp5 and those were the same year  your set was made 2015. I have a set of 2020 mp mmc and ive played other irons in the past few years and i can tell you the mp5 blades play just as good if not better thrn everything ive played. No need to chnage if you still love them and play well with them. Otherwise sure change but not much is to be had.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sounds like I'll trend towards keeping them for the season.  Maybe by next year some of the manufacturing demand will have caught up and I'll look at a switch.  I bought these new in 2006.  I was around a 3 at the time.  Now I'm playing to an 8.

They have been solid sticks and some of the irons show a little wear but they are also cast and they must be some hard suckers because I've put them through their paces.  The only thing I could fault them is that that it's difficult to alter the trajectory of my shots.  I've got the high shot and the higher shot haha.  

Thanks again! 

Edited by deadeye ruck

The best Era of my golf life came with a  set of stripped down r7tp with peening blues. Any time a thread abt what do you wish you kept, I instantly think back to them. 

If there is nothing wrong w them physically.. I'd stay put

• Like 1

G425 Max 10.5* Diamana S LTD

G425 Max 16.5* Diamana 75 FW 

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54/58 MMT 105 SW

Ping Kushin 4

WITB

11 hours ago, grm24 said:

The TM R7 TP irons the OP is asking about were released 2005/6 not 2015.

To the OP. Keep playing your R7 TP irons. Great irons. 

Ahhh ok my bad. Site i read said 2015.. ok so in this case id say yeah maybe there is a little being left on the table. How much really? im not sure. Has to be a little bit of distance, forgiveness and feel though. That being said... if you still love them and are only willing to lose a little bit then yes play them. If your just bursting for new shiny irons... then you know where to find them.

The R7 TPs are still very capable irons.  The only thing that is knocking against them is that their grooves may not be 2010 USGA compliant.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

15 hours ago, deadeye ruck said:

I've started back playing regularly after a 6-7 year hiatus of only playing a couple of rounds a year. I'm in the process of updating my bag.  I'm still gaming a set of TM r7tp irons with tt black gold shafts.  I hit these high and have found them be a good fit for my game, so much so that I'm hesitant to switch.  Prior to that I played a set of Mizuno mp-30s which were practically blades.   

I don't work the ball much unless absolutely necessary and I find the r7tps difficult to shape more than a few yards either way anyway.  I'm far more concerned with accuracy of my irons vs distancen so I'm always looking for more forgiveness. I've always been a good iron player and generally struggle off the tee.  I'm looking at something like a set of t100s, t200 or p790.  What will I see if I switch compared to what I'm gaming now.  Is it even worth the ~$1200 investment for the gain over what I've got? 

Thanks in advance! 

Dont fix what isnt broken.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I played these for several years, like them so much had two sets.  I play now and then with a guy who still plays them.  But the grooves are non-conforming post 2010, which is the reason I moved on from them.  But if you are not playing in USGA/state association type events I guess it is not an issue 

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Keep them and save that 1200 for something else.  Iron tech for player's irons hasn't changed much the last oh I don't know 30 years?  You could always get them refinished if they are beat up for a lot less than buying another set.   

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I owned a set about 10 years ago and played great with them (as far as I can remember, lol). Newer irons imo can be a bit more forgiving with a shorter blade length but nothing wrong with the r7tp’s. 

Edited by JAY-Y

Sim 9° | Rogue Silver 125msi 60ts
Mavrik SZ 15° | Atmos TS Blue 7s
818H2 19° | Atmos TS Blue 8s

718 T-MB 4i | AMT White s300
718 AP2 5 - GW | DG120 s300 
X Forged 54.14, 58.10 | KBS Tour 125 
Toulon Las Vegas | TP Mills Custom Trad II

9 hours ago, cgasucks said:

The R7 TPs are still very capable irons.  The only thing that is knocking against them is that their grooves may not be 2010 USGA compliant.

Didn’t Daniel Berger use those irons to win the Bing Crosby Pebble Beach Pro Am this year?

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

13 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

ok so in this case id say yeah maybe there is a little being left on the table. How much really?

The only thing really being left on the table for the OP is that newer irons for the most part are going to be stronger lofted than the R7 TP irons. The R7 TP iron lofts are based off of a 47* PW. 

Capture.PNG.7fb4726619ddd566cb674dea34b86b1c.PNG

• Thanks 1

Jeff58  buy backs are a wrx thing...on my 3rd set mp33,happily buy a 3rd set mp60...on my 3rd Rapture 10.5 driver...

Them TpR7s..

buy the T100 and test and tune the T100..so a lower flite would likely help...

I bought a 7wood V Steel 20 9 months ago.....so the old TM stuff remains near ...only sold the R7 Quad after i got the Rapture driver sorted!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

3 hours ago, grm24 said:

The only thing really being left on the table for the OP is that newer irons for the most part are going to be stronger lofted than the R7 TP irons. The R7 TP iron lofts are based off of a 47* PW. 

Capture.PNG.7fb4726619ddd566cb674dea34b86b1c.PNG

The 4-9 iron is basically the modern 5-PW. Skip the 47° PW and jump straight to a 49° or 50° GW and voila! You have modern 'distance' irons. 

I still play them and whilst I'm tempted by the modern irons when I'm hitting them well these are still as sweet as anything else I've ever hit. Perfect size for my eye too. Not as small as a true players CB but not as chunky as a typical GI iron.

I'm tempted by modern irons but the delays in shipping due to covid mean these will probably remain in the bag for some time to come. Bought them new in 2007 and still in great shape. 

• Like 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

On 5/11/2021 at 1:17 AM, deadeye ruck said:

Sounds like I'll trend towards keeping them for the season.  Maybe by next year some of the manufacturing demand will have caught up and I'll look at a switch.  I bought these new in 2006.  I was around a 3 at the time.  Now I'm playing to an 8.

They have been solid sticks and some of the irons show a little wear but they are also cast and they must be some hard suckers because I've put them through their paces.  The only thing I could fault them is that that it's difficult to alter the trajectory of my shots.  I've got the high shot and the higher shot haha.  

Thanks again! 

That may be the shafts as much as the irons or a combination of the shafts and the irons.  I’m sure a new fitting would benefit you and therefore getting new clubs might be a benefit.  That said, I think your plan of using these clubs through the season and then looking at your options is a smart way to proceed.  Even if there is something that can help you with controlling your trajectory it is not like you will be leaving a bunch on the table sticking with what you have.  It seems like it is hard to get more than a slight  improvement unless your clubs are very poorly fitted, which yours clearly are not.  

It’s not how I would proceed, for the record, as I rarely do the smart thing, if the less smart option lets me get some exciting new clubs! but it’s good that you are a little smarter...

• Haha 2

Brings back memories.  I had a set of those at one time.  Great irons.  I say keep 'em.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Chances are, you have been leaving advantages on the table for some time now.

Fittings were not that prevalent when these irons  were introduced.

Get fit and compare.

Equipment decisions are on you, and you alone. 

Do your due diligence 

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

20 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

Site i read said 2015.. ok so in this case id say yeah maybe there is a little being left on the table. How much really? im not sure.

I've put the assorted specs below....

The R7 TP is more forgiving than the modern players stuff, including the P790; quite a bit in a couple cases.  The CG is lower for the R7TP, as well.  

No real reason I could see for switching.  

image.png.1cc5d2b6ac08999c80c46baf17c97c00.png

image.png.c9c7e41d0a989a3e48c414fcc95c90f3.png

image.png.7fd3e1f5ff208a66c768f4afd566a380.png

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Post COVID golf equipment market is nuts. I personally have come to terms with the fact that equipment acquisition will be toned down for the foreseeable future.

New clubs are back ordered to the point where you won't see anything until the end of the summer. That's if you can get a fitting. Fitter are scheduled you in some cases even longer than that.

Because of the demand for instant golf clubs the used club market is insane. In my mind it isn't even worth it for so many reasons. 

My plan, let all these people that came to golf because of COVID realize that golf can be a miserable game and like many in our current society will lose interest. 

Keep looking at all the new clubs that interest you, because come next year I think the bottom falls out. We will all be in used club paradise. Back to ho'ing to our hearts content,

Stick with the set you got.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Old Tom Morris said:

Didn’t Daniel Berger use those irons to win the Bing Crosby Pebble Beach Pro Am this year?

Does it look like R7 TPs to you?

spacer.png

PEBBLE BEACH, CALIFORNIA - FEBRUARY 13: Daniel Berger of the United States reacts to a shot on the 14th hole during the third round of the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am at Pebble Beach Golf Links on February 13, 2021 in Pebble Beach, California. (Photo by Steph Chambers/Getty Images)

Edited by cgasucks

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

As most already stated, you may leave something by using an older driver, but irons and putters have not made big improvements. I played Ping S58, replaced them with Mizuno EZ Forged, gained some distance due to stronger lofts and more feel and this year returned to the old Ping again, as I feel they are more accurate and consistent for me. Just make sure to have the loft and lie checked every now and then. I went to a club fitter and all the lofts and lies were slightly off, now they are more consistent again and my gaps are tighter again.

Plus grips of course, I exchange mine every 2 years.

My favorite irons are even older, MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 CM with Project x 6.0 shafts, but I am not good enough for them anymore, the Pings are far more forgiving. 

I would put your R7 TP in a similar category as my Ping S58, look like player irons but have way more forgiveness.

I switched last year from the r7 tp’s I’d had since college to Apex 19 pro. Honestly the biggest difference was going from s300 shafts to PX 6.5, which I love.  All things equal, I bet the 4 iron is 5 yards longer but for the most part, if you’re hitting the middle of the club face you’re hitting the middle of the club face and it doesn’t matter.

That being said I love the new irons and no regrets on switching