New irons have less offset and heavier shafts, trouble squaring face at impact

alexo80

I'm fairly new to golf and recently got fitted for the first time. The new clubs (JPX 921 forged) have much less offset and 20g heavier shafts (both stiff flex) than my old ones (TaylorMade RocketBladez) and on every few swings I'll leave the face open and hit a pretty decent slice or fade depending on the club. Is this just me getting used to the offset/shafts or should I be looking at my grip or swing?

How were you hitting your old set?  People say that offset only affects ball flight, but I'm skeptical.  For me anyways, when I try irons with lots of offset, yes the ball does launch way to high but my ball also tends to go more left than the players irons with less offset.  The main culprit would probably be your swing. 

• Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Diamana ZF 60TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

4 minutes ago, juststeve said:

I don't believe that off-set makes it easier to "square the face".  the amount of time you have with an off-set to square the face compared with a non-offset club is so brief that in can be ignored.  Your problem lies elsewhere.

Steve

For someone who leaves the face open the offset will absolutely help to "square" the face. It's a band aid but it obviously works or you wouldn't see massive offset in ALL game improvement clubs. 

@alexo80 The combination of reduced offset and heavier weight will absolutely affect your timing until you get used to the clubs. I would give it more time and experiment with a slightly stronger grip and more aggressive release. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

How were you hitting your old set?  People say that offset only affects ball flight, but I'm skeptical.  For me anyways, when I try irons with lots of offset, yes the ball does launch way to high but my ball also tends to go more left than the players irons with less offset.  The main culprit would probably be your swing. 

I hit my old clubs pretty straight, maybe a slight fade. They were getting way too high and spinny with the 85g stock shafts.

I'll just keep at it on the range. When I got my arms and body in rhythm things seemed to go well and I was able to control the flight better. I bet you're right, probably comes back to consistency

12 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

For someone who leaves the face open the offset will absolutely help to "square" the face. It's a band aid but it obviously works or you wouldn't see massive offset in ALL game improvement clubs. 

@alexo80 The combination of reduced offset and heavier weight will absolutely affect your timing until you get used to the clubs. I would give it more time and experiment with a slightly stronger grip and more aggressive release. 

Aggressive release, like feeling your hands "turn over" more aggressively?

3 minutes ago, alexo80 said:

Aggressive release, like feeling your hands "turn over" more aggressively?

The feeling should be whipping through and turning them over more aggressively but in reality you don't want to flip the club face shut either. Just experiment with it. 

One way to think about it is smacking the back of the ball with your right hand.

Edited by mgoblue83
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I don't buy "only affects ball flight" unless you mean slice?  I have a set of Rsi TP irons with too much offset.  They were replaced after a few months, just because of offset, I couldn't adjust and maintain it under pressure. 

My understanding of offset is it helps people from slicing the ball and helps get the ball up.   Essentially, it keeps the users hands ahead of the club head as they come though the ball, something those of us that play blades, do naturally without thinking.

It's the OPs swing mechanics and hands though the ball.  @alexo80 - When there's less offset, it becomes the golfer's responsibility to make sure his hands a positioned correctly when they come into the ball.  A 20g jump in weight is significant for most people.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • Titleist TS2, 9.5 Ventus 5 Series S
  • Titleist TS2, 4wd Ventus 6 Series S
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i Tensei AV White AM
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White AM
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW MMT 125
  • SM6 F-52/8 MMT 125
  • SM6 M-58/8 MMT 125
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

1 minute ago, Pepperturbo said:

I don't buy "only affects ball flight" unless you mean slice?  I have a set of Rsi TP irons with too much offset.  They were replaced after a few months, just because of offset, I couldn't adjust and maintain it under pressure. 

My understanding of offset is it helps people from slicing the ball and helps get the ball up.   Essentially, it keeps the users hands ahead of the club head as they come though the ball, something those of us that play blades, do naturally without thinking.

It's the OPs swing mechanics and hands though the ball. 

My father has a set of XXIO irons that he could not get long with no matter what.  Had it in his bag for 6 months.  Way too much offset for him.  He recently dropped some serious cash on a set of Honma's but he says it's a worthwhile investment for his game.  He's always played Honma irons since the 90's.  His flight is so much better and he doesn't have the lefts nearly as much as before.  The irons have very little offset but more forgiving than the tiny baby blade irons he would game eons ago.  He's always had a low flight and is used to playing that way.  The Honma's look pretty sweet if I do say myself.  

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

My father has a set of XXIO irons that he could not get long with no matter what.  Had it in his bag for 6 months.  Way too much offset for him.  He recently dropped some serious cash on a set of Honma's but he says it's a worthwhile investment for his game.  He's always played Honma irons since the 90's.  His flight is so much better and he doesn't have the lefts nearly as much as before.  The irons have very little offset but more forgiving than the tiny baby blade irons he would game eons ago.  He's always had a low flight and is used to playing that way.  The Honma's look pretty sweet if I do say myself.  

A female friend plays XXI0, she smacks'em too.  They have lots of offset... and big wide soles. :p  Sounds like your Dad is a lot happier.  I bought a Tour Honma Driver, and tour 3 & 5wd many years back.  I may still have them in storage.  The technology was quite amazing.  Each of the shafts had thin strips of titanium from tip to butt, hand laid in white room, so they played a bit stiffer than normal.  They cost an arm & leg back then too. 

There's going to come a day when 620MBs are just too much for me.  Which Honma's did he get?

• Titleist TS2, 9.5 Ventus 5 Series S
  • Titleist TS2, 4wd Ventus 6 Series S
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i Tensei AV White AM
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White AM
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW MMT 125
  • SM6 F-52/8 MMT 125
  • SM6 M-58/8 MMT 125
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

13 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

A female friend plays XXI0, she smacks'em too.  They have lots of offset... and big wide soles. 😛Sounds like your Dad is a lot happier.  I bought a Tour Honma Driver, and tour 3 & 5wd many years back.  I may still have them in storage.  The technology was quite amazing.  Each of the shafts had thin strips of titanium from tip to butt, hand laid in white room, so they played a bit stiffer than normal.  They cost an arm & leg back then too. 

There's going to come a day when 620MBs are just too much for me.  Which Honma's did he get?

I looked online to see which model they are.  Couldn't find any pics.  I know that they have red badging to them and are recent offerings.  Maybe from last year or year before.  He bought them brand new.  He's thrilled with his new irons.  My mother told me he shot 74 last week at Encino GC which is one of their local munis granted it's an easy course.  I don't believe her, haha.  He's actually still single cap being 72.  Can only get it out there 220, but his iron game and short game are something else.  Played pretty bad for him with the XXIO irons but so much better from what I've seen lately with his Honma's.  As for Honma shafts, I get what you're saying.  My father had a set from the 90's that had the pure boron shafts.  Very expensive.  Tried playing a round with them.  I think I was in my late teens at the time.  Really nice set but the shafts were too whippy for me. 

• Haha 1