Heading to Maui with Wife. Which course should she tag along to ride?

So we're heading to Maui in a few weeks, and my wife wants to ride along on one of my rounds. I'm thinking of bringing her along to my round at Kapalua Bay Course or Wailea - Gold. She is mostly interested in views of the oceans, and being close to the water. These courses are the closest courses to the water that I am playing, so I figured it would be one of these two. Any suggestions on one vs. the other would be helpful!

It is pricey - but it is worth it.  Play the Plantation Course.  

My 12YO Son 4 years ago...

But to your question as someone who has played both that you ask about.  Wailea is not on the water and up the "mountain" with only views of the ocean.  Kapalua Bay has 2 holes on the water but the rest of the course is inland without any views.  Both of what you ask about are great resort courses - Kapalua Plantation is a destination course - I have played it multiple times and it is better each round!

Kap 2.jpg

Kap 1.jpg

Edited by cubuffs
  • Like 3

The Bay only has a few holes near the ocean.  A great Par 4 and 200yd Par 3 over water to a slightly elevated green.  It's a fun challenging course, but views are not comparable to The Plantation.  Kaanapali in LaHaina has some holes near the beach too.  But for amazing views check out The King Kamehameha Golf Club.  It's built on the side of a mountain, panoramic views on most holes, and the Club house is a tourist site; it was built by Frank Lloyd Wright for Marilyn Monroe.    

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Another recommendation for the Plantation Course

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 10.5° - Diamana TB 6TX

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Ping G430 21° - AD IZ 8X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T22 50S, 54D - S400 TI

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Gamer Putters Son of a GOAT - 326g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

And another for Plantation.  Although not directly on the ocean, the views from high up are different (more grand) than your normal oceanside/front views.  She's better off actually hanging out, hiking, sun bathing, etc.... on the coastline or beach, than getting ocean views from a golf course imo.

Edited by buzlin

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

3 hours ago, cubuffs said:

It is pricey - but it is worth it.  Play the Plantation Course.  

My 12YO Son 4 years ago...

But to your question as someone who has played both that you ask about.  Wailea is not on the water and up the "mountain" with only views of the ocean.  Kapalua Bay has 2 holes on the water but the rest of the course is inland without any views.  Both of what you ask about are great resort courses - Kapalua Plantation is a destination course - I have played it multiple times and it is better each round!

Kap 2.jpg

Kap 1.jpg

Nice pics. The kid has a great move through the ball!

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

On 5/11/2021 at 10:47 AM, johnnystan said:

So we're heading to Maui in a few weeks, and my wife wants to ride along on one of my rounds. I'm thinking of bringing her along to my round at Kapalua Bay Course or Wailea - Gold. She is mostly interested in views of the oceans, and being close to the water. These courses are the closest courses to the water that I am playing, so I figured it would be one of these two. Any suggestions on one vs. the other would be helpful!

If your wife wants views of the ocean and being close to the water then go to Lanai and stay at the Four Seasons. Then play Manele Golf course and you won't be sorry as I played the course a couple of times and it's amazing. When I played it was like having the course to myself. Also there's  a 9 hole course called Cavendish that you can play for free.

COURSE OVERVIEW

The spectacular natural setting of Manele Golf Course at Four Seasons Resort Lanai guarantees an unforgettable round for every golfer who plays here. Perched atop 200-foot cliffs, the course offers dramatic views of the ocean from all 18 holes. Lush, green fairways are bordered by black lava outcroppings, reminders of the ancient origins of Lana’i.

Jack Nicklaus considers Manele Golf Course to be one of his finest designs, ideal for a championship event, yet comfortable for a round among friends. In keeping with the commitment to a championship course, no compromises were made in the routing. Each hole requires concentration and a good judgment.

• Like 1

My wife joined me at plantation. Beautiful course but be sensitive to the weather beforehand. It was so windy that it was really tough for her to sit in a cart for longer than 9 holes since not moving around probably made her feel colder than it actually was. I was fine since I was up and playing golf.. she ended up heading back to the hotel early at the turn 

• Like 1

One thing to consider is how much it may rain on you in Kapalua.  I just got back from a trip 2 weeks ago.  The weather started as a mist then rain then it poured on me during my round at the Plantation course.  We stayed in Wailea where it was sunny without any clouds.  If she doesn't mind getting a little wet then Kapalua has better views.

Just got back. I actually played 5 rounds, and the wife only wanted to go to Wailea to go shopping in the town, so she tagged along on that round knowing she wasn't getting ocean views. My other 4 rounds were all at Kapalua. 2 Bay/2 Plantation. She ended up tagging along on the Plantation day because she finished class early (she is a teacher who is still working remotely, so she could teach from anywhere). That course was something. I am an 11 handicap, and I played great golf all week, but my best golf was my 1st day at the Plantation course despite shooting my worst score of the week (90). The crazy wind, unfamiliarity of the course, and the greens having been recently punched and sanded definitely didnt help! It was weird hitting 3 wood from 160 out because it was uphill into 40 mph gusts. I truly cant complain, though. I was lucky enough to play the course twice, and damn that is a spectacular course with the best views anywhere! Highly recommend and will be talking about this trip until im blue in the face.

Edited by johnnystan

On 5/14/2021 at 4:26 PM, aloha b. said:

If your wife wants views of the ocean and being close to the water then go to Lanai and stay at the Four Seasons. Then play Manele Golf course and you won't be sorry as I played the course a couple of times and it's amazing. When I played it was like having the course to myself. Also there's  a 9 hole course called Cavendish that you can play for free.

COURSE OVERVIEW

The spectacular natural setting of Manele Golf Course at Four Seasons Resort Lanai guarantees an unforgettable round for every golfer who plays here. Perched atop 200-foot cliffs, the course offers dramatic views of the ocean from all 18 holes. Lush, green fairways are bordered by black lava outcroppings, reminders of the ancient origins of Lana’i.

Jack Nicklaus considers Manele Golf Course to be one of his finest designs, ideal for a championship event, yet comfortable for a round among friends. In keeping with the commitment to a championship course, no compromises were made in the routing. Each hole requires concentration and a good judgment.

Ya if you have the $$ would definitely recommend playing Manele over plantation 10/10 times. Fun day trip on the ferry.

Edited by burritos4breakfast
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 7:26 PM, aloha b. said:

COURSE OVERVIEW

Did you play The Experience Koele by Norman, before it went to seed?  The Four Seasons has 36 holes of golf day.  Boat to Lanai, shuttle to first tee off of Koele, finish have lunch, play Manele, get back on the boat for Maui.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

5 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Did you play The Experience Koele by Norman, before it went to seed?  The Four Seasons has 36 holes of golf day.  Boat to Lanai, shuttle to first tee off of Koele, finish have lunch, play Manele, get back on the boat for Maui.

No, the first time that we went to Lanai my wife and I just went to the Lanai city and we did go to the Lodge at Koele for a awhile and then caught the ferry back to Maui.  When we went again to stay at the Four Seasons it was gone so I played Manele.

Did you get to play Koele and if so how was it?

Plantation is the best overall. Bay course has 2 holes with great views 16 green and 17. 

PING
G425 LST 10.5* Alta CB Slate 55S

G430 Max 3W Alta CB Slate 65S

G410 2H, 3H Alta CB Red 70S

Glide 2.0 ES 54,60 AWT wedge S (blackout)

Vault Anser 2 Slate

Callaway 

Apex Pro Combo ‘19 5-A Steelfiber i95S

Titleist

ProV1 (2021) Yellow / White

On 5/11/2021 at 2:54 PM, Robber6656 said:

Skip the Bay the views from the Plantation are incredible.

On 5/11/2021 at 7:42 PM, italianstallion said:

Plantation course gives you wall to wall ocean views on just about every hole. It’s the most beautiful course I’ve ever played. 

On 5/12/2021 at 11:30 AM, Yoshifan151 said:

Another recommendation for the Plantation Course

On 5/12/2021 at 11:46 AM, buzlin said:

And another for Plantation.  Although not directly on the ocean, the views from high up are different (more grand) than your normal oceanside/front views.  She's better off actually hanging out, hiking, sun bathing, etc.... on the coastline or beach, than getting ocean views from a golf course imo.

On 5/12/2021 at 11:49 AM, PJE said:

Another urging to skip Bay and go Plantation

On 5/22/2021 at 4:48 PM, JetPilot said:

How does the Plantation Course not regularly break the top 100 lists.  The place is fantastic.  

2 hours ago, Neurotica said:

Plantation is the best overall. Bay course has 2 holes with great views 16 green and 17. 

This - some of the best views of any course in the world

• Like 1

13 hours ago, aloha b. said:

No, the first time that we went to Lanai my wife and I just went to the Lanai city and we did go to the Lodge at Koele for a awhile and then caught the ferry back to Maui.  When we went again to stay at the Four Seasons it was gone so I played Manele.

Did you get to play Koele and if so how was it?

Fun, tight and beautiful... only problem was the surrounding mtn conditions were not good for the greens.  They kept losing them, it seemed like every other year, and had to almost rebuild.  I imagine the costs to maintain that course were quite high.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

100% agree with Plantation.

Lucky to stay on the course for 1 week.  Then stayed in Wailea for the 2nd week to save some $$$$'s.

Played everyday and almost everyday at 3pm it would start to rain for about 30 minutes or so.  Sometimes really heavy rain.

The weather on Maui varies greatly from the windward to the leeward side of the island.

Kapalua is on the windward side Wailea is on the leeward side.